The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Finally, after 4 months of rains and a boggy garden when I couldn't get the tinny out, had a session on the local dam (Kinchant Dam). The dam is at 100% and the water is fairly dirty, I could only see 5 ft into the water. The water temperature is down a fair bit due to all the rains and is at 28 C, whereas at the same time last year it was at 32 C.

Only managed 1 small sooty grunter, but it gave a good account of itself. Yes, olly, I released it after the pic...:yes:

1712011005.jpg

Cheers, Bobj

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 months of rain Bobj :dull: bet you were bored without you fishing mate, have you seen much of an increase in the mozzie population after all the rain? and what do you find is the best repellant?

4 months of rain Bobj :dull: bet you were bored without you fishing mate, have you seen much of an increase in the mozzie population after all the rain? and what do you find is the best repellant?

Been fishing off the rocks, about 1.5 km from my place..

Odd thing, not as many mossies since the big rains, which is quite astonishing!

Best repellant..."Aveagoodweekend":yes: But have not used any for a while.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...
Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]2772[/ATTACH]

Got out today 1st time in 3 months ,sharks were all over the place .

Had some fun ,shame we couldnt go for the snapper .

Guest Guest9973
[ATTACH]2772[/ATTACH]

Got out today 1st time in 3 months ,sharks were all over the place .

Had some fun ,shame we couldnt go for the snapper .

Same here in South Australia.

Here is a report I put into a local fishing forum.....

The sharks are in on some of the snapper spots. Just be careful. Fortunately they did not come up to see us. But one peeled off a massive amount of strong line on nearly a locked drag.

He eventually bust off.

Another good run but bust off again.

Landed a nice 7 Fin shark though. Looking forward to some of him for tea tonight.

My berley bag was destroyed as well angry.png

I've still not dried out and boy did it blow up after lunch - tough going on the way back in!w00t.png

The state of my berley bag!!

Dragged it up with something toothy hanging on!

18022011070.jpg

First time for me since the cyclones. Went off the rocks, hooked up to a black-tip reef shark but it chewed through the line. Landed 5 ock-ocks. Also known as grunter, or javelin fish; all returned safely.

2022011003.jpg

Another trip out there this morning...:jiggy:

Cheers, Bobj.

First time for me since the cyclones. Went off the rocks, hooked up to a black-tip reef shark but it chewed through the line. Landed 5 ock-ocks. Also known as grunter, or javelin fish; all returned safely.

2022011003.jpg

Another trip out there this morning...:jiggy:

Cheers, Bobj.

Just beautiful bob , what bait do you use ?

Brides x

• 1 month later...

Ahhhh, Paradise once more...The mack attack is returning after their summer sojourn in the SE of the state.

A trip out to the rocks and 2 spotties in the bag and one lost to Clarrie, the estuary (goldspot) cod.

2862010005.jpg

Another trip out yesterday and one spotty mackerel for me and 2 for Clarrie...:mad:

:wink:

Perfect conditions, no breeze, rising tide and fish...What more could an old bloke wish for?

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

2011_0413boattheonout0010.jpg

Not a bad trip ,the last in the old boat ,sold her this weekend :cry:

Glad i finished on a high tho

2011_0413boattheonout0010.jpg

:jiggy:oh my goodness look at them colours ..... this is one thing im looking forward to when i get to oz to get into fishing again

Oi, what are you hoping to fish for in WA??

Not very much in the freshwater scene in WA, a few crap and trout in the south west is about all you'll get.

Plenty of seafish especially around Rotto.:hug: And the WA dhu fish, perhaps the best tasting fish in the world...

Pity that the WA govt. has put so many rules and regs up regards takeable fish.

Cheers, Bobj.

Oi, what are you hoping to fish for in WA??

Not very much in the freshwater scene in WA, a few crap and trout in the south west is about all you'll get.

Plenty of seafish especially around Rotto.:hug: And the WA dhu fish, perhaps the best tasting fish in the world...

Pity that the WA govt. has put so many rules and regs up regards takeable fish.

Cheers, Bobj.

Lol Bob :hug: its mine and dennis's mission to fish around oz :yes: All the family do it over here ...so that will be our holidays sorted travelling around the waters of oz .

We love deep seafishing over here , love night fishing here to for conger :jiggy:can't wait to see oz's fish .

Brides x

• 1 month later...

Time to update this thread...

Had a session off here yesterday.

162011004.jpg

About 20 minutes after top tide, a few good bites and then these came up.

A small spotty mackerel.

162011003.jpg

And a very tastey bluey (black-spot tuskfish)

162011002.jpg

One fillet of each to a mate, we had the bluey fillet for tea and maybe smoked mackerel for tea tonight.

Cheers, Bobj.

Another session off the rocks, 6.30 AM

362011001.jpg

First cast, lost a metal slice to a mackerel.

Thawed out a few pillies, put one on and wham! a spanish mackerel...only 47 cm. threw it back.

Ended up catching 14 spotty macks, but only kept 6, which will be distributed to the oldies in the village.

2152010001.jpg

Lost 3 terminal rigs and 1 metal slice. Lost 3 spotties to improper hook-ups and lost 1 to Clarrie the cod.

182010005.jpg

Now have 12 fillets to clean...Hooroo.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336

Here you go WTF/Bob, and the rest of the fishos out there. My top five fish and means of fishing. Thankfully Australia holds all these fish. Just need the Oxeye Herring to grow to the same size as the Tarpon of the states, and a consistent Bonefish fishery, (as in Exmouth) and I am as happy as, well, errrrrr, Bobj.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

PS. A big thank you to Pablo for showing me how to embed You Tube links. You don't know what you have unleashed here mate, next I'll be putting up cricket clips,:embarrassed::wink:

[YOUTUBE]nT2chkSa0FM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EDwnaDqb4c0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bj5u1ybYjqU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7G0ssL_4lZM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iG3gbi_avsk[/YOUTUBE]

Here you go WTF/Bob, and the rest of the fishos out there. My top five fish and means of fishing. Thankfully Australia holds all these fish. Just need the Oxeye Herring to grow to the same size as the Tarpon of the states, and a consistent Bonefish fishery, (as in Exmouth) and I am as happy as, well, errrrrr, Bobj.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

PS. A big thank you to Pablo for showing me how to embed You Tube links. You don't know what you have unleashed here mate, next I'll be putting up cricket clips,:embarrassed::wink:

G'day mate, Permit, aka oyster crackers are found all along the Qld coast from Hervey Bay to Normanton and can grow to 25 lbs (11kg)

Flathead, aka lizards are found all along the Australian coast, especially northern NSW and can grow to 25 lbs as well, but these are the breeding females and should be returned as safely as possible.

Jewfish, aka mulloway are found all along the Australian coast, most noteably along the South Australia side of the Bight and grow to 100lbs (46kg). In northern Qld and the NT we have the black jew, which reaches 50lbs (23kg)

Tarpon, aka oxeye herring only grow to about 7 lbs in Australia and are mainly found from Broome, WA around the top to about northern NSW.

The bones are found on a lot of "flats" along the north Qld coast from about Tin Can Bay, but are not really targetted, ergo there is not much info on them. Exmouth, WA, however is the main area for them and they can grow to about 17lbs (8 kg).

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Add the mack attack to that list, Lemon...icon14.gif

I am excellent at fishing, I get my husband to put on the bait, reel em in if they are too heavy, get him to take them off the hook, he puts that spike thing through their heads, then I stand proud as punch having my piccie taken with them!

Go Susie!! For myself I favour the type of fishing that is accompanied by a large book and a bottle of chilled pink!!

• 1 month later...

Archived