The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Hi and sorry for the last post, I pressed enter and posted a partial thread and got distracted by her indoors so could not rectify until now. Thanks Bob J for the reply anyway mate.

Anyhow this is what I wanted to post.

I have been a keen fisherman for 20 odd years but with havin kids and work it has been put on the backburner for the last 8 years ish.

In my early days here in 'Not so Sunny Blackpool' I started course fishing then went for the bigger Carp Fishing (crap fishing in the old oz lingo) anyhow we our flying out in September with our PR visas in our pockets and want to get into the fishing over there with my 10 Year old (3 year old will have to wait a few years). I have a few Carp rods and baitrunners up to around 3lb test curve. Will this gear be ok for fishing off the beach or in the rivers around the Gold Coast? or will it be beneficial to pick up some beachcasters from local car boot sales before we arrive.

Also is there any books that have good info of what to handle before I get stung by something that will put me on my back, I dont want to look a *** fishing with marigolds on. Info on bait, where to fish, and any other info would be great. Personal Best is a 30lb mirror which is not a bad fish in England, but I suppose small fry over there. PS to Bob J some fantastic photographs mate keep them coming. Cant wait to dangle my maggot off the Gold Coast..

Shaun.

G'day mate, crap are reviled in 99.9% of Australia for the amount of damage they do.

3 lb rods?? Ok for the bream and whiting off the beaches and marinas, but suggest that you upgrade a bit, like about 8lb and 10 lb braid. Some great tailor off the beaches that will give you lotsa fun.

http://www.gcfishing.com/

Gold Coast Fishing and Tide Information - Gold Coast Accommodation

Gold Coast City Council - Fishing

The best land-based fishing spots in southeast Queensland | Courier Mail

Bait: pillies, prawns, squid, beach worms, soft plastics and metal slices will all catch fish, depending on what you are after.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Egans

Thanks BobJ are there any magazines / books that may have a website. It will be good to do a bit of reasearce before we arrive, biggest concern is handling the fish when not knowing what they are, posinous spines and that type of stuff I will have a look on the web

Here you go, mate.

Fishing Monthly Group: Articles

:: Welcome to Bush n Beach Fishing ::

There are 3 fish to be aware of in the SE, the "flowerpot" aka red rock cod, "happy moments", aka spinefoot and the catfish that are caught in reasonable numbers. Another couple that are rarely caught are the lion fish aka red firefish and the worst of all, the stonefish.

http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest cazbeckham

We do not actually handle any fish unless it is with a wet towel. Caught a few happy moments last week but now we know what they are we are extra careful.

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1928[/ATTACH]

Weather has been pants here in se qld ,so not been fishing in weeks ,so here's a photo of the boat build ,finally got to start making here once again ,now all the work to the new house has finished.

Guest siamsusie
[ATTACH]1928[/ATTACH]

Weather has been pants here in se qld ,so not been fishing in weeks ,so here's a photo of the boat build ,finally got to start making here once again ,now all the work to the new house has finished.

:cute:Not just a pretty face are ya!

We sold our boat in WA in May and are missing it very much, looking for a tinnie now.... Susie

:cute:Not just a pretty face are ya!

We sold our boat in WA in May and are missing it very much, looking for a tinnie now.... Susie

Where are you wanting to fish, Ducky Pooh? Is it Russell Island, or Tassie? And, what type of fish are you wanting to target?

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1979[/ATTACH]

Eats into my fishing time ,sea brezze got it wrong today could have got out :sad:

WTF have you been fishing in Wagoe ? we are going on thursday for a few nights....balloon fishing as the wind will be just right ......my mate was their 2 months ago balloon fishing and got shed loads of spannish mackerel ..the line was almost 1 k out in the ocean ....he was in fridays western paper in the fishing section ...! will let you know how we go on..........

WTF have you been fishing in Wagoe ? we are going on thursday for a few nights....ballon fishing as the wind will be just right ......my mate was their 2 months ago ballon fishing and got shed loads of spannish mackerel ..the line was almost 1 k out in the ocean ....he was in fridays western paper in the fishing section ...! will let you know how we go on..........

Wow!

The bag limit is 2 spanos...:yes:

Fishing Australia - Spanish Mackerel - Scomberomorus commerson

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish
these were big mackerel bob ...and thats per person from the beach not on the boat.....plus we will be eating it everynight while there ..........i will post a pic tonight of one as im out in a while ...........

Looking forward to some photos :hug:

Guest Working to fish
the mackerel were 20 kilo :jiggy:looking forward to going......just have to tell my gaffer now.....

Tell or ask ? :cute:

A session off the rocks yesterday yielded 1 queenfish, 1 bream and 7 grunter aka javelin fish or, ock-ock, for the noise they make when caught. All returned to grow bigger.

Grunter.

3072010005.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Another session off the rocks this morning. Absolute glassout conditions but not much taking the bait; got 2 bream, 3 small queenies, 1 moses perch and 2 goldspot cod...All returned safely...including this chappie, a goldspot. It had just regurgitated the small fish. After I took ythe hooks out, it regurgitated 2 more fish and 2 small mud crabs!.

Reel is a Shimano TR 200 G with 50 lb braid.

3172010.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived