The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Working to fish
Mack?? Mac tuna, or mackerel, or spotties???

Whatever, great fun.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Had a top day Bobj ,we went off to the beacon a few k out ,found haft of oz ,sat there ,so we went off north ,and what a day ,spend hours chasing the sea gulls around and ,what a good day it was . Am sure if we were still there now we would still be pulling them in ,lost count in the end . Great bait for the snapper out deep .Were all mack tuna .Great fighting fish.

:jiggy:

Had a top day Bobj ,we went off to the beacon a few k out ,found haft of oz ,sat there ,so we went off north ,and what a day ,spend hours chasing the sea gulls around and ,what a good day it was . Am sure if we were still there now we would still be pulling them in ,lost count in the end . Great bait for the snapper out deep .Were all mack tuna .Great fighting fish.

:jiggy:

Mate, don't forget to add the frames to the burley pot and mash them up. Cast the bait, unweighted, into the burley stream...And 'ang on!:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

A good session off the rocks this morning. Bottom of the tide was at 9.15 am and I got there about 7.30 am. Heaved out a few chromies but no hook-ups. Tried prawn for a few minutes, but only the bait stealers (butter bream) were around. Thawed out a pillie, put it on a gang of 4/0s and heaved it out. A few minutes later I got a great big hit, 20 odd metres of line peeled off and A beaut mackerel came up after a decent slug-it-out. Added another pillie and about 30 seconds later, this got hammered; another mack. About 30 minutes later got my third mack.

Only 1 pillie left, stuck it on the gangs and heaved out. Nothing, so, as I was reeling in, got a monster hit and the fisg cartwheeled about 3 metres out of the water. This was a good fish, 4 aerial manoevres and about 1 minute later the fish got off!!! A fabulous milkfish! Mustabin in the metre bracket...

A great 2 hours out on the rocks. Now, have to donate 5 fillets around town.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

Kids and fishing

Sorry to sound like an old fart but ,,,,,,,,,,,,

other half and i have just come back from an evening fishing with our littlen and it never ceases to amaze me, we were fishing off the coast guards jetty which we do often and i can't get over the amount of time i see kids down there on there own pulling in undersize fish and happily keeping them to take home. This seems to happen on most occasions when i go out fishing with family off the banks. Is the australian government strong enough in educating the younger generation about the importance of not taking undersize fish. Sorry for the rant.

Will now jump off my soap box.

:policeman:

how big do the mackerel get , and are they quite common in oz

Well now, there are 7 types of mackerel in Australian waters.

1. Slimy mack 35 cm

2. Shark mack 1 metre

3. Qld school mack,doggie, schoolie 85 cm

4.Broadbar Spanish mack,grey, tiger 85 cm

5.Spotted mack, Japanese 85 cm

6.Spanish mack, narrow band, spaniard, spano 2 metres

7. Wahoo, bastard, jack mack, mongrel, pike mack 2 metres.

The three main ones are spanish, schoolie and spotted and these can be caught in very close proximity to land, especially around rocky headlands. Indeed, I have caught spotties in 50 cm water only 1 metre from rocks as they chase the herring baitfish.

All of these can be caught in Qld waters and are quite common, but there are seasons, such as the three main types are taken in North Qld in winter and in summer in Southern Qld. They can be quite common and bag and size limits apply.

Cheers, Bobj

Bobj, could you send those big fish my way, while i am waiting for my visa.and i can send you some of the little mackerel we catch.:wink:

Bobj, could you send those big fish my way, while i am waiting for my visa.and i can send you some of the little mackerel we catch.:wink:

Sorry mate, we have enough baitfish...:tongue:

Schoolies

Cuda08006.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

what the average size of the barra, you catch Bobj .

going to be the first on my list when i go down under

Average barra I catch would be about 20 lbs, though the last 5 were only 2-4 lbs.:sad:

So, where are you heading to, seeing that it is No.1 on your list???

Cheers, Bobj.

Average barra I catch would be about 20 lbs, though the last 5 were only 2-4 lbs.:sad:

So, where are you heading to, seeing that it is No.1 on your list???

Cheers, Bobj.

that a big I ,mate.how long would it take you to bring one off those 20lbs .in to the boat.

Guest Working to fish

$25 ,down the drain ,what a load of :shocked:,Barra fishing.

Went to a barra fishing farm to fish today ,rubbish.

No not me ,the place, think i will stick to the sea ,around this part of oz.

Got one small barra ,and all i saw ,was one kid pull in a good (ish) size barra (ok bring on the jokes).

Was around 30 ish people fishing this lake and nothing much was going on.

Could be wrong ,but some thing tells me that these fish have been reeled in a 1000 times ,:shocked:.

Guest Working to fish

Ps Bobj ,

Got myself a couple of b52 ,gold and silver,

Am sure there good ,but they were alittle big for the barra ,we were fishing for :cry:

$25 ,down the drain ,what a load of :shocked:,Barra fishing.

Went to a barra fishing farm to fish today ,rubbish.

No not me ,the place, think i will stick to the sea ,around this part of oz.

Got one small barra ,and all i saw ,was one kid pull in a good (ish) size barra (ok bring on the jokes).

Was around 30 ish people fishing this lake and nothing much was going on.

Could be wrong ,but some thing tells me that these fish have been reeled in a 1000 times ,:shocked:.

Get your A into G and come up here. Those B52s will get a workout at Kinchant Dam, mate.:yes:

Sad to read that about your exploits and thoughts on the place you went to (Bli Bli??)

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish
Get your A into G and come up here. Those B52s will get a workout at Kinchant Dam, mate.:yes:

Sad to read that about your exploits and thoughts on the place you went to (Bli Bli??)

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers mate and i will ,one day make it up there for a fish ,its on my must do list ,

Got out to day around 4,45am ,with the lures for the macks ,got tbo still not that great at it ,but getting there ,and thanks to an ozzie friend tonight we have Spanish mack for tea ,As for Pete he done well yet again ,and well be eating fish all week.Weather turned abit ,so we only got a few hours in.

This christmas has been a :shocked: on the sunshine coast for getting out the front.

Archived