The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jacelynne

I'm hoping too bring out all my tackle. What are the rules regarding customs?

We are taking our rods and stuff over. Have been told as long as everything is clean you'll be fine!

x

I'm hoping too bring out all my tackle. What are the rules regarding customs?

We are taking our rods and stuff over. Have been told as long as everything is clean you'll be fine!

x

That should suffice. What tackle have you got and where will you be fishing and what fish are you after???

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

Wash out ,got out today for the 1st time in a couple of weeks ,weather man got it wrong again ,wind was up ,swell got up and we got stuck in a big down pour ,in all a rubbish day out on the water ,i know pete got out a few hours befor us and did well ,just wish we had gone back to the boat ramp when he did .

Oh well ,you cant win every day.:eek:

Guest guest30038
in all a rubbish day out on the water :eek:

A rubbish day out on the water beats a god day at work hands down :wink:

kev

Guest cazbeckham

Just thought I would let you guys know that I caught a Stingray (Hubby reckons it was about 20lb) in the Maroochy River today - good eh?

Was fighting it for a long time and at one point thought I had snagged on the bottom till I let some line out and it took off again whoo hoo!!!!!

Caz

• 4 weeks later...
Fishing question, what eatable fish am I likley to catch from the sea and rivers around FNQ? I wont have a boat for a while so beachcaster only and a light rod

G'day mate, about 75% of the fish are eatable...IF they are big enough. There are size and possession limits for virtually every 'takeable' fish.

Recreational fishing (Primary Industries & Fisheries, Queensland)

Off the beaches you should get whiting, bream, flathead and 'blue-nose salmon' along with the odd barra and threadfin salmon. Don't confuse the salmon with the UK variety...

Better variety of fish if you go off the headlands for reefies and pelagics (mackerel clan , giant trevally and queenfish).

A few noteworthy fish NOT to eat are paddletail, chinaman red bass because of ciguatera poisoning and barramundi cod, qld grouper, potoato cod and maori wrasse because they are rare and protected by law.

Possibly the most prolific fish to catch and eat in FNQ is the mackerel clan, greys, school, spotted and spanish. Great fun on light line and excellent eating. Just remember that they have extremely sharp teeth.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bugga!!! Forgot about the river fishing...Barra, mangrove jacks, threadfin salmon, bream and flathead in the lower reaches. In totally freshwater...Not much in the eating line, but some in the sporting line; milkfish, jungle perch, sooty grunter, the odd smaller barra and fork-tailed catfish.

And...NO licence necessary in any river in Qld. However, a State Imoundment Permit (SIP) is needed, costing $35 a year, to fish any of 30 dams in Qld. NO licence for sea fishing in Qld, either.

Cheers, Bobj.

35 dollars is really good value,Bobj.it costs a arm&a leg over here.

G'day mate, even when I lived in Yorkshire we had to have various 'tickets' to fish various places. And that was nearly 50 years ago!!

Same thing in New Zealand, I had to buy 4 'tickets' to fish a paltry 6 km of river in the South Island for the huge range of brown trout, rainbow trout and redfin, oh, and eels.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1642[/ATTACH]

Cant say much about the fishing in the past few weeks as i have not been able to get out for the last 6 weeks or so what with moving house and the weather being so bad ,so here,s a photo of my new boat i am building ,if any one is interested i will post photos of the build as it grows .

Hope to get out fishing soon and tell all about it.

working to fish

Good one, Eddie...Er...Windy here for the past 3 weeks, so I have to make do with reading old fishing posts...Bugga!!!

Because of the recent cyclone and the loss of power for 93 hours, I had to throw out 2 kg of endeavour prawns and 3 kg of herring bait .:cry::arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Burley?

Berley=ground bait. A good berley should include the main bait one is using eg. 5 parts chook pellets, 1 part chopped pillies and 3mls tuna oil mixed up. Can be frozen and lowered to fishing depth, can be left soft and 1/2 cup sea water added, mixed up to a "pudding" consistency and small amounts dropped into the current every so often.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hopefully, I'll be fishing these rock-bars in April.

Rockbars.jpg

The Keep River, Northern Territory. It is one of the last 'outposts' for barramundi, being quite isolated from any towns. A good chance for off roading...Happiness is making your own track to a new barra billabong

I 'found' this pool over 30 years ago and made my own tracks...Same river, just closer to the estuary.

KeepRbillabong.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1668[/ATTACH]

Another photo of the boat build ,this is showing the shape of the hull comeing together ,i have not lined any thing up ,this is just for a photo.

Cant get over i have 4 days off ,and the sea is well up ,no fishing ,for me :cry:

Guest cazbeckham

Eddie

Hope you are going to able to get the boat out of the shed once it's built, when can we come round and see the progress

Archived