Coming back- why so many??

emmaroo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need ear-flaps, too, in Queensland and possibly elsewhere.

Older Gold Coast builder learned he had cancer of the ear. Numerous operations. Cut his ear off in the end. But no use. It had got inside the ear. I think he died.

It had happened over the years, driving north to work every day as the sun was coming up (to his east). Sun's like a lazer up there, especially when it's virtually horizontal.

And then, driving home in the mid to late afternoon, the sun got him from the other side (west). Same ear and same lazer-like power. Must have hit his ear and travelled inside as well. Horrible.

Guest earlswood
Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more.

The British made up more than half of the 400,000 moving abroad - yet only 14 per cent of immigrants were UK nationals coming home.

The figures do not include hundreds of thousands of east Europeans who have come to work in Britain in the past two years.

This is because most are coming for less than 12 months and do not show up on the statistics.

you got a link for these figures Kernow?

Guest earlswood
Skin Cancer is a serious issue in QLD. 90% of all my work colleagues had had chunks cut out of them. Ears, noses and backs of Knees seemed to be most common areas (dont ask me).The first thing that hits you when you get of the plane in Australia is the brightness of the sun, the sky is a much darker shade of blue than you get in europe and the sun is less filtered. You will get used to it but sunglasses are a must when ever outside in the sun. My optomatrist said i have irriversable damage due to not waring sunnies enough:cool:

YES....I hated that brightness that just seemed to give me so many headaches:dull: you really need good expensive high filter shades out there folks.

Guest Furball
YES....I hated that brightness that just seemed to give me so many headaches:dull: you really need good expensive high filter shades out there folks.

It's odd, isn't it, how differently it affects people. I was there (Near Mudjimba/Maroochydore) 2.5 months in the middle of summer a couple of years ago and loved the sun and the colours from the instant I got off the plane. No headaches, no migraines, no nothing. I could breathe properly, my stress vanished and the veggies were lovely (I'm a vegetarian, I notice vegetables ;) ) and the yogurt from the local farm is to die for!

The sky seems so much higher and less claustrophobic and gives me a feeling of far more freedom - especially when watching the turtles playing in the creek :)

Having said that, I'm already looking into sunscreens that are available out there that might not bring my overly sensitive skin out in lumps! In Europe I don't burn even in Greece in a 45 degree heat wave climbing hills all day, but in Aus I felt I could go pink very fast - and did a couple of times through sheer stupidity cos I'm so not used to having to be careful :(

Guest earlswood
I don't remember much in the way of colours, just yellow and browns mainly. Australia does have "big sky" especially at night, the stars are amazing but during the day the clouds build up quite quickly and you get what i used to call a simpsons sky.For me the mediterranean climate is much more pleasant, less humid, still as hot but less dangerous.

The veggie issue is one that always puzzles me, Farm produce in England, Kent especially is second to none (IMO)

Agree, nothing come close to a Med summer......and I also agree you cannot beat vegtables grown in Britain no matter where you are in the world.

• 2 years later...
There seems to a lot of posts from folks that are coming back to UK or have recently come back, and to someone who is still going through the process it is quite unsettling.

Are the high numbers of people returning due to the economic down turn or is that people really do build there expectations of Australia to unrealistic heights?

It has really got me thinking am I doing the right thing?

Emma

Hi Emma

Whereabouts in Edinburgh are you going back to? We just left there a week ago after living there for nearly 5 years in Stockbridge, lovely place. Now living in Brissie. I think that it really does depend on individual circumstances as to whether life in Oz is 'better'. I do think a lot of people don't realise that it's not the same here as it was 10-15 years ago when you could get property, etc. dirt cheap but unfortunately you no longer can. We came back to Australia because for us with 3 young children it's a far easier place to live and because my husband can earn twice as much here so even with the cost of living being more here for a lot of things compared to the UK we will still be better off. I will miss Edinburgh though, it's a very unique city, small but with everything you need and beautiful places to visit.

I hope it all goes well for you. If you have young kiddies Scottish Parliament building has a fabulous free creche!

Looking at the numbers of replies and views on today's posts at 1115pm I added up the numbers on four different posts which I felt seemed to be for people in favour of moving to OZ -

Electricians 1,188 replies 75,000 views

New Cat 4 1707 replies 68,000 views

HR Apps 1,300 replies 56,000 views

Spouse Visa 4,400 replies 251,000 views

Moving back to the UK 240 replies & 12,000 views.

So, 8,500 and 450,000 in favour v 240 and 12,000 against.

There's your answer to your question - Coming Back - Why So Many?

I suggest you change your thread title to - Coming Back - Why So Few?

I am not criticising those who go back to the UK by the way. I went back for twelve years and I wish in some ways I had stayed BUT I simply wanted to answer the question.

Looking at the numbers of replies and views on today's posts at 1115pm I added up the numbers on four different posts which I felt seemed to be for people in favour of moving to OZ -

I am not criticising those who go back to the UK by the way. I went back for twelve years and I wish in some ways I had stayed BUT I simply wanted to answer the question.

Why would someone change a thread title? Its up to the poster to call it what they want isn't it? I suggest that if you don't like it, then don't read it. Take a look at what thread your on - MBTTUK...... which is for people who are looking to move back to the UK, looking for support. They are not on here to argue, just to see if anyone else is having similar experiences or can offer support....... moving to AU doesn't work for everyone.

BTW, this thread began in March 2009

I believe that around twenty to twenty five percent of people return at some stage of their lives. Not sure if it reflexs a truely accurate figure though.

Some people return because the OH didn't like it while they could have happily remained. Others don't like it particuarly but remain due to different factors. (kids for example) A small number even move on to third countries NZ for example.

Different periods there are ebbs and flows. At the moment it would be rather obvious that the flow would be out of the UK. There was a period in the early ninties when the flow was back to UK. All depends on economic prevailing conditions as to the extent in numbers.

You actually took the time to do this?. people look at things as they are anyone can strecth and do detailed analysis and make the results suit them. let the post read as it is and note when it was posted.

Why would someone change a thread title? Its up to the poster to call it what they want isn't it? I suggest that if you don't like it, then don't read it. Take a look at what thread your on - MBTTUK...... which is for people who are looking to move back to the UK, looking for support. They are not on here to argue, just to see if anyone else is having similar experiences or can offer support....... moving to AU doesn't work for everyone.

BTW, this thread began in March 2009

I'm not on here to argue either. I just read the title - 'Coming Back - Why So Many? and then read further to see that the original poster was worried about why so many people were returning, so worried in fact, that she was wondering if she was making a mistake coming to OZ.

Had she said something like 'I have been living in OZ for a while and I am still homesick and I want to go home' I would not have bothered to look at it.

I am very careful not to knock people who want to go back and, as I said, I went back, loved it, and regret in some ways not staying there.

I simply wanted to point out that the numbers going back to the UK are ALWAYS in the minority not in the majority as she obviously feared.

The thread began in 2009 eh? But someone had obviously put a new post up otherwise I'd not have seen it.

You actually took the time to do this?. people look at things as they are anyone can strecth and do detailed analysis and make the results suit them. let the post read as it is and note when it was posted.

I never saw the original date to be honest. I just saw a thread come up, which someone had posted on, and thought I'd make a comment, which is what I usually do when something comes up that I'm interested in.

Is there a cut off date when you can no longer contribute to a thread? Is the subject itself out of date?

I know that the Mods sometimes close off a topic but they have not done so this time?

The reason I took the time to do the analysis was because I was interested in the question the orginal poster asked.

She was worried that more and more people were returning to UK from Australia. I was interested in the actual numbers and thought I'd do some research based on PIO figures.

I'm not a Manchester United fan but if someone posted on here that Man U had very few genuine fans then I'd say, 'well, 75,000 go to Old Trafford for each game so they must have some genuine fans. Unless Man U is lying about the number of people Old Trafford holds.'

So, it was with this question.

Brilliant climate in Edinburgh, yeh if your a water dwelling amphibian :biggrin:

He he very funny! Luckily Glasgow and the West coast got the majority of the rain and Edinburgh didn't, although compared to London we didn't get as many warm days of course!! But I'm not going to start about the weather, us Brits fave topic ha ha!

I think you just have to try it or you will NEVER know :)

We love it here and actually find that the prices balance out. Whilst we moan about the cost of electricity and food, so do my family in the UK.

We moved with the same company and with the wages he gets here, we have a very similar life, infact we are slightly better off here.

As for house prices, it depends where you live just like the UK. I find the house prices here a lot more expensive, sure, but then you get a LOT more space, so in comparrisoon they would be similar

My sister home is worth the same as the cheaper homes here. The comparrison is, she lives in a 3 bed semi on a small plot and the eqivilant here is a 3 bedroom single storey detached with more room.

I guess it is not the same throughout the country in comparisson, but then houses in the UK vary so much in price too.

I rent a huge 4 bed, I could fit my old UK house in the garden area, it costs double what I was renting my little 3 bedroom out for in the UK, but its double the size, 3 bathrooms and I dont pay water or rates here renting, plus get rent rebates, so its actually way better, than to rent the same size house in the UK.

I find food here better quality, tastier and just as reasonable for what I buy. I spend pretty similar to what I spent in the UK on food.

My energy bills are half the UK ones

So its seen differently to everyone just like living in the UK is :)

Its personal choice, experience and situation.

I read so many horror stories I was so scared comming here, but have found it to be nothing like I read.

I think homesickness is a huge reason. Its very hard to leave family, actually, no, it was easy to go but its harder, as time goes on. You miss them so much when your life settles down and the excitement of a new life settles.

My family were deeply distressed when we left taking 4 children and still are 3 yrs later. For us, it was a huge excitement, new life and experience, you didnt look back behind you too much as it was such a busy time, but for them, it was the same life, with a huge gap, one which could be felt from the ofset.

It is not until you settle and life returns to a form of normality, does it sink in to what you have left behind.

I love my life here and would never leave. I am so thankful we made it, we tried for so many years.

BUT I do miss my family more as time goes on, I am so excited to see them this xmas, so I can imagine for some, the pull is just too strong and the bond to tight to stretch and they return.

Good luck, you only live once, I want to live without wondering what if for the rest of my life. It is NOT for everyone but for so many of us, it is our dream (with its ups and downs as life has) and is home.xx

The weather is also not for everyone. For me, the warmth has almost healed my ezcema and stopped the ache in my knee from the cold.

I find the climate great. I hate the cold, damp and chill in the UK, it made me depressed and dreary, the sun makes me feel so much brighter and at peace with my life, so again, so different for everyone.

We came here for a better life for my family, we believed we would get a better life and were prepared for the hard work, not comparing everything, being strong against the family and going backwards again, starting from nothing. We will NEVER regret it, what an experience and we have taught our children, that you can do it and can change your life but its also OK to return if it does not work.

For us life is much better, I ahd to put my children first, but like everything, you pay the price and sacrifice, for us, thats family..

It's odd, isn't it, how differently it affects people. I was there (Near Mudjimba/Maroochydore) 2.5 months in the middle of summer a couple of years ago and loved the sun and the colours from the instant I got off the plane. No headaches, no migraines, no nothing. I could breathe properly, my stress vanished and the veggies were lovely (I'm a vegetarian, I notice vegetables ;) ) and the yogurt from the local farm is to die for!

The sky seems so much higher and less claustrophobic and gives me a feeling of far more freedom - especially when watching the turtles playing in the creek :)

Having said that, I'm already looking into sunscreens that are available out there that might not bring my overly sensitive skin out in lumps! In Europe I don't burn even in Greece in a 45 degree heat wave climbing hills all day, but in Aus I felt I could go pink very fast - and did a couple of times through sheer stupidity cos I'm so not used to having to be careful :(

I totally agree we fly out on the 14th of November and I only get through the UK winters by using a SAD lamp which we are now selling!, my brother has an Organic farm in Northern New South Wales and his veges are the best and free!, I find the "Big Skies" breathtakingly liberating" :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry just to rain on everyones parade, but i think your missing the point all of you.

First of all i believe from reading that 40% of Pomes return within 5 years.

But who cares??

Your all missing the point. These people were the ones who felt the need to leave the UK in the first place so obviously preferred or thought they preferred Oz.

What about the 600,000 British visitors to Australia every year who come for a holiday

enjoy it but have no intention to move here?? Are we saying that with 20,000 British migrants to Australia every year that we have 3% of people who prefer it?

On the flip side what about the small percentage of Aussies who stay in London longer than their 2 year visa? I reckon the % would be low.

Face facts people, migrants(all of us on here) are the 'minority'. Only a small number of people leave the country of their birth wherever they are born.

I never saw the original date to be honest. I just saw a thread come up, which someone had posted on, and thought I'd make a comment, which is what I usually do when something comes up that I'm interested in.

Is there a cut off date when you can no longer contribute to a thread? Is the subject itself out of date?

I know that the Mods sometimes close off a topic but they have not done so this time?

The reason I took the time to do the analysis was because I was interested in the question the orginal poster asked.

She was worried that more and more people were returning to UK from Australia. I was interested in the actual numbers and thought I'd do some research based on PIO figures.

I'm not a Manchester United fan but if someone posted on here that Man U had very few genuine fans then I'd say, 'well, 75,000 go to Old Trafford for each game so they must have some genuine fans. Unless Man U is lying about the number of people Old Trafford holds.'

So, it was with this question.

maybe the best person to answer this ...is the original poster ....as she herself has decided to move back to scotland .....

mrs keily

percentages are all good and well but i think that once you think about emigrating that you should do it if you stay then your happy if you go back then you know its not for you and you will be happier in the uk

in my experience its been a tremendous learning curve for me and my family and we are a much stronger family unit but australia isn't the place of dreams it just gives you a chance to make a better lifestyle but that will take a lot of hard work and determination as everything in life doesn't come free it is a big step

so what if 25% or 95% return it doesn't matter because you don't know which side of the figures you will be part of its like the ups unemployment 3 million with no job what about the 20 million that have

i know that if we stay or not we have had a life changing experience that has and will continue to improve our lives no matter were we live.

Hey Emma

I heard on a recent news report it's about half, they said that in one year over 14000 emigrated to Perth and 7,000 returned to the UK.

The difficulty is people watch 'wanted down under' and they think 'oooh that's a nice house and look - a pool!' whereas reality is coat of living here is higher, house prices are higher but wages do accommodate I believe. In WA the weather is so amazing the outdoors lifestyle is well and truly embraced. I personally believe the people who end up returning to the UK either don't research effectively before they arrive, or they do bit can't settle or they simply don't like it. It's not the UK with sunshine, Aussies are a totally different culture and many aspects are quite americanised, but thats not a bad thing, it's just a different thing.

I think you have to ask why you want to make the move. I have a Hubby and 3 under 11, I have been in WA for nearly 18 months and I doubt we would return. The other aspect is cost - flights to the UK are pricey and the downside is as you are so far away relatives will come for over a month! Be prepared! Haha. At the end of the day you still have to work, pay bills, look after yourself etc all in a country where quite possibly you will know noone, your mates are in a different time zone on Facebook and you have to get out and meet people.

As someone suggested just suck it and see. It's not for everyone, give yourself 2 years minimum to settle and see.

My driver to come over was that life is simply too short to be sat in a cold semi in the UK wondering 'what if....?' for what it's worth lots of my mates said they would love to have the guts to try it but just cant. The other thing I would say is it's not a cheap process...consider if you are 6 months in and hate it - have you a get out clause?

Either way, good luck. You won't know until you are here.

Life is for living! Enjoy it!

Archived