Coming back- why so many??

emmaroo

There seems to a lot of posts from folks that are coming back to UK or have recently come back, and to someone who is still going through the process it is quite unsettling.

Are the high numbers of people returning due to the economic down turn or is that people really do build there expectations of Australia to unrealistic heights?

It has really got me thinking am I doing the right thing?

Emma

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest treesea
There seems to a lot of posts from folks that are coming back to UK or have recently come back, and to someone who is still going through the process it is quite unsettling.

Are the high numbers of people returning due to the economic down turn or is that people really do build there expectations of Australia to unrealistic heights?

Emma

Well, you probably won't know if you are doing the right thing for you until you "suck it and see", as the saying goes. And why not try it? If you don't like it, you can always come back.

If you come from Edinburgh, then I would suggest looking at Sydney or Melbourne as possible destinations and staying within ten miles of the city centre when you get there. Both these cities have quite dry, sunny weather, a bit like Edinburgh's but 20C hotter and have similar quality facilities close to the city, e.g. olympic quality swimming pools, plus very good public transport, as we have in Edinburgh.

Is living in Australia better than living in the UK? I think that depends on where you come from in the UK. Put it this way, I am from London and came back to the UK after living in Melbourne for just over a decade and Sydney for five years in the early 80s. Having come back, fully intending to live in England, and London in particular, I found there was no way on earth I was going to put up with the poor, sub standard lifestyle the English have to endure in some parts of England, having been used to a much better standard of living in Australia. Plus I like dry, sunny weather and uncrowded spaces, and Edinburgh has a brilliant climate and doesn't "do" crowds. And it has a similar standard of living to Melbourne, though schools and the health service, in my experience, are a lot better in Scotland than in Melbourne. Even though Melbourne is pretty good in its own right on both fronts.

Guest treesea
Houseprices , for one.

It's twice as cheap to live in UK as it is in Australia.

Isn't it just! What a pleasant surprise that was!

Guest earlswood
Well, you probably won't know if you are doing the right thing for you until you "suck it and see", as the saying goes. And why not try it? If you don't like it, you can always come back.

If you come from Edinburgh, then I would suggest looking at Sydney or Melbourne as possible destinations and staying within ten miles of the city centre when you get there. Both these cities have quite dry, sunny weather, a bit like Edinburgh's but 20C hotter and have similar quality facilities close to the city, e.g. olympic quality swimming pools, plus very good public transport, as we have in Edinburgh.

Is living in Australia better than living in the UK? I think that depends on where you come from in the UK. Put it this way, I am from London and came back to the UK after living in Melbourne for just over a decade and Sydney for five years in the early 80s. Having come back, fully intending to live in England, and London in particular, I found there was no way on earth I was going to put up with the poor, sub standard lifestyle the English have to endure in some parts of England, having been used to a much better standard of living in Australia. Plus I like dry, sunny weather and uncrowded spaces, and Edinburgh has a brilliant climate and doesn't "do" crowds. And it has a similar standard of living to Melbourne, though schools and the health service, in my experience, are a lot better in Scotland than in Melbourne. Even though Melbourne is pretty good in its own right on both fronts.

Teressa, Edinburgh is in Scotland ....right:eek:

Guest treesea
Teressa, Edinburgh is in Scotland ....right:eek:

Hi Earls,

Yes, we have joined the English internal exodus - up to 20,000 a year now, and made the move to sunny Scotland 6 months after we came home. Alas, my poor old home town is not the grand old lady she once was. It now has a plastic bag graveyard on the North Circular Road - NOT a pretty sight! - and my old primary school looks on its last legs. Not to mention the "small" problem of pollution so bad you could actually see it.

Oh well, is it the Barnett formula that gives the Scots such a great standard of living compared to the English? (except those who live in Knaresborough and Cornwall :biggrin:) If we can't beat them, we may as well join them. And they DO have great weather up here.

Guest earlswood
Hi Earls,

Yes, we have joined the English internal exodus - up to 20,000 a year now, and made the move to sunny Scotland 6 months after we came home. Alas, my poor old home town is not the grand old lady she once was. It now has a plastic bag graveyard on the North Circular Road - NOT a pretty sight! - and my old primary school looks on its last legs. Not to mention the "small" problem of pollution so bad you could actually see it.

Oh well, is it the Barnett formula that gives the Scots such a great standard of living compared to the English? (except those who live in Knaresborough and Cornwall :biggrin:) If we can't beat them, we may as well join them. And they DO have great weather up here.

Hey enjoy the barnet formula while you can, Cameron has vowed to end it when he gets in at the next election.:tongue:

Emma

Its always been the case that large numbers return. I don't know the percentage and probably no-one does?

I've heard of numbers ranging from 25% to 75% but wouldn't think its anywhere near 75% to be honest??

The downturn will only make the work situation a little tougher but not impossible.

As for doing the right thing you simply won't know till you've tried it. Improvements in life don't come about by doing the same thing today that you did yesterday, but it also carries the risk that you might go backwards (at least for a while).

Guest chris_mac

Emma

Hi Emma

High numbers?

Compared to the numbers that move over to Oz, the amount of families who return to their homeland are a miniscule minority, litterally a drop in the ocean!

Chris

Guest earlswood
Hi Emma

High numbers?

Compared to the numbers that move over to Oz, the amount of families who return to their homeland are a miniscule minority, litterally a drop in the ocean!

Chris

Between 50 and 75% return within 5 years I have heard and read in the past...not low at all.

Guest snow white

i know that since we have been here 18 months our mortgage in the uk is half what it was when we left infact our mortgage paymetn in oz is twice as much as uk this is a massive factor considering the pay you recieve here also

most people just want to be able to live a decent life and sometimes that is something that is getting harder to afford here in oz at the moment

lesley x

Guest Perth Princess

I'm sure a lot of people return just because they miss familiarity rather than Oz not living up to their expectations. I'm feeling very homesick at the moment and feel I would like to go back, but it isn't because I am disappointed with Oz in any way, I did my research before coming out and haven't had any unpleasant surprises. I think you tend to miss friends and family more than you expected to (I do). I do however prefer the Australian lifestyle for us as a family and my kids love it here. For this reason I am going to stick it out and hope that in time I feel more settled.

Guest snow white

after everything weve been through i would not go back until we have citizenship at least then we can come and go if we please and not have the great regrets of once your over 45 not being able to come back if we want

lesley x

Guest JoanneHattersley

The family thing is a big draw to going back, especially if you have had a good comfort/buffer zone with family members being around for example to help you take care of kids. I used to think...if I went back would I see these people any more?

A lot of the UK friends I have , their emails/calls have tailed off so I know that I wouldnt see them if I ever went back!!

I miss people, especially my little brother! i got a great email from him yesterday which made me realise how much I missed him!!! However i live my life for me! Im staying put!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Emma

I think what you have to remember is that the ones who have moved to Australia and love it, are to busy out enjoying their life that they don't have time to post on here!!!

The one's who don't like it have nothing to do all day but come on here and tell you how they feel (now personally I think that we need to hear the negative and some of the comments, I can relate to) but to be honest you have to come and find out for yourself. Do I love it here, yes I do, I love Melbourne and feel it has been the best thing we have ever done. Now I know there are members on here that hate Melbourne but we are all different, thank goodness.

I think the things that are hardest about moving to Australia is missing the friends and family back home and if you are a very close family then maybe you should think again, especially, as Jo says, if you rely on them a lot. You also have to think that you can't arrive in any country and expect everyone to be your friend immediately, and let's face it if you already lived in the UK and moved to a different town you wouldn't get it there either (apart from the friends you knew in your last town).

The same goes for employment, I think a lot of people come over and think they can just walk in to a job, and I must admit the skills in demand list can be quite misleading. You have to give it time, I know people who have wanted to go home after being here a week and not finding work. Come on guys if you were back home and lost your job, how long do you think it would be to find another one!! Also why not consider other options, we have had reports that the brickie trade is bad in the UK at the moment so taking this for an example if you got laid off a job and couldn't get another what would you do? You would either try another area or look at taking a different career path. Although I do think there are a lot of job losses in the UK as well.

I am not talking about any members on PIO before people start jumping down my throat because I am sure most of you on here will have given it your best and I wish you all the best for your futures.:wubclub:

Guest Toorak Trev

I think the things that are hardest about moving to Australia is missing the friends and family back home

The same goes for employment, I think a lot of people come over and think they can just walk in to a job

I think people dont realise how easy they have it in terms of family babysitting or being able too call up someone if the child is ill and you need to get to work.

As for work there are numerous lazy people arriving expecting the easy life and too used to working under 40 hours a week unless it involved serious overtime remuneration.

People complain about house prices but they still think they can continue life on 30 hours per week???? People I know work 3 or 4 jobs and then have others the gall to say they are snobs for wanting a better life

Even with 20% unemployment there will be 80% working.

Guest snow white

i for one think anyone who at least giveslife in oz a go is brave in my opinion and i wish them all the best , we all come here wanting or expecting different things not everyone achieves what they hoped for and others dont give up until they have

lesley x

Guest treesea

Thanks for posting this. It made for some interesting reading. When you consider the number of British born departures versus British born arrivals in the last three years:

Permanent British arrivals:

-2005-06 23,290

-2006-07 23,223

-2007-08 23,236

Permanent British departures:

-2005-06 5,353

-2006-07 5,626

-2007-08 6,047

it does rather suggest that M2M is right, i.e. that the vast majority of newly arrived migrants are far too busy enjoying themselves in Australia to contemplate coming back to the UK any time soon, or to join in on PIO. Even more so when you consider that a fair few of those departures could well be people like us, living in Oz for decade(s) before making the move back to the UK.

In late 2006, the beeb reckoned 1.3 million British born people lived permanently in Australia. ( BBC NEWS | UK | 5.5m Britons 'opt to live abroad' And, just to add a bit of sensationalism, we in Britain are experiencing the biggest wave of migration into Britain since....1066!

Guest lovediving

It will be interesting to see the figures for 2008/09 I think it will be a lot higher based on the recession.

Thanks for posting this. It made for some interesting reading. When you consider the number of British born departures versus British born arrivals in the last three years:

-2005-06 23,290

-2006-07 23,223

-2007-08 23,236

-2005-06 5,353

-2006-07 5,626

-2007-08 6,047

it does rather suggest that M2M is right, i.e. that the vast majority of newly arrived migrants are far too busy enjoying themselves in Australia to contemplate coming back to the UK any time soon, or to join in on PIO. Even more so when you consider that a fair few of those departures could well be people like us, living in Oz for decade(s) before making the move back to the UK.

In late 2006, the beeb reckoned 1.3 million British born people lived permanently in Australia. ( BBC NEWS | UK | 5.5m Britons 'opt to live abroad' And, just to add a bit of sensationalism, we in Britain are experiencing the biggest wave of migration into Britain since....1066!

I think the figures have always hovered around the 25 - 30% mark. It may be increasing now as people are making decisions earlier about whether they stay or go. In the olden days, so many stayed because they didnt have the chance to return and got beyond that financial point of no return quite quickly. I think folk are being more assertive in their decision making these days and recognizing that if it aint working then you can change it and they get on with it pretty quickly. The recession certainly isnt helping and people are realising that if things are going to be stressful it is far more comfortable to be stressed when you know you have a decent support network around you. Being isolated and impoverished sux!

I know of many older Australians who emigrated as L10 poms who would go back if they could but now most have the odd child or grandchildren here and so dont feel that they can go home. I have met a number of older people, especially women, who feel like they live in limbo but have stuck it out for their kids - they have not been "happy" here but have survived. For many, their kids have headed off elsewhere anyway and when you get older it just isnt practical to be following your kids all over the world.

I dont think there is essentially anything brave about living in another country - it's just taking life's opportunities as they crop up really. However I suspect that most folk could be equally happy in their home countries if they put as much time and energy into the process as they do about the quest to follow some "dream" to the other side of the world.

Guest treesea

I dont think there is essentially anything brave about living in another country - it's just taking life's opportunities as they crop up really. However I suspect that most folk could be equally happy in their home countries if they put as much time and energy into the process as they do about the quest to follow some "dream" to the other side of the world.

Maybe, except for things that are really different and which you can't change, like the weather. I wonder how many people are fleeing the cold? I'd say a fair few, given approximately a quarter of those Britons who live abroad permanently live in Australia. That certainly played a large factor for us, moving back to Britain. In the end, just got sick of the heat.

Guest fatpom

-2005-06 23,290

-2006-07 23,223

-2007-08 23,236

-2005-06 5,353

-2006-07 5,626

-2007-08 6,047

If these figures are to be believed that means about 25% of British migrants leave Aus eventually.

But there is a bit of a problem with those figures.

1) Approx 190,000 migrant visa's are currently issued annually. It's surprising only about 23,000 are UK passport holders.

2) You can count the permanent arrivals but how do you count how many permanent leavers there are. If I were to leave I'd just leave and wouldn't necessarily tell any authorities what my permanent plans were?

Archived