NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi Jac,

Well, after spending about 5 hours searching last night (she was on a night shift) all is not lost!

Seems the University of Derby do a distance learning package for top up that includes APEL for Advanced Diploma. 60 credits and she's golden! She now has to decide if she's going for it or not.

When we initially started our Nursing careers, the degree was never an option at the time, which is unfortunate considering it's the standard now after 3 years of study!

It won't stop our eligibility to move to Aus as I can gain that in a convoluted way through my current employment, BUT, working as an EN after the experience and autonomy of 14 years in A&E is a bit of a smack in the face and one which I would never expect her to just get on with. Life and self fulfillment are more important than working at a level below her skills, just for the sake of a new start.

She's in bed now, but some serious discussions are on the horizon I feel. After all, if she's going to HAVE to do further study, now might be the ideal time to potentially change career if that's what she wants. It'll all come out in the wash I'm sure =)

Hi Jac,

Well, after spending about 5 hours searching last night (she was on a night shift) all is not lost!

Seems the University of Derby do a distance learning package for top up that includes APEL for Advanced Diploma. 60 credits and she's golden! She now has to decide if she's going for it or not.

When we initially started our Nursing careers, the degree was never an option at the time, which is unfortunate considering it's the standard now after 3 years of study!

It won't stop our eligibility to move to Aus as I can gain that in a convoluted way through my current employment, BUT, working as an EN after the experience and autonomy of 14 years in A&E is a bit of a smack in the face and one which I would never expect her to just get on with. Life and self fulfillment are more important than working at a level below her skills, just for the sake of a new start.

She's in bed now, but some serious discussions are on the horizon I feel. After all, if she's going to HAVE to do further study, now might be the ideal time to potentially change career if that's what she wants. It'll all come out in the wash I'm sure =)

Hi JayZ, this is the course I keep pointing out to ppl on here. I am just down the road in Notts and the people in my cohort that opted for the Diploma route (we were the last year that it was available too) have been checking out Derby's online top up. It seems a really good option. However, it does state 18 months to complete online, but Id speak to the team and see whether this is the case if your wife has the Advanced Diploma as it may be less.

Aye, gonna ring them on Tuesday and see what the craic is.

It says 18 months, but assuming just doing one block of 20 credits per trimester, and obviously the life experience she has in Nursing, I can't see it taking longer than three trimesters tbh. She only needs 60 credits to get the degree. Ultimately we used to crack out assignments left right and centre whilst at Uni, including the partying and work placements with the naiive notion we were going to change the world, hahaha.

From what I can see, Derby is the only Uni offering this top up course, so fair play to them. The rest expect full time attendance at Uni or to have done the Acedemia within a limiting time frame at their own institution.

Having to do an extra 4 optional units for just the Diploma is a bit of a bummer though :confused:

Hi JayZ, the Open University also do a "top-up" to degree for Nurses and so do Napier University, Edinburgh, the top up is run through ICS Learn. I don't have any details for the OU one, but for the ICS (which I'm currently doing!) your wife would need to complete 3 modules. The timescale they quote is 18months, but it can be done faster than that, if you can get through the workload! They've been fine for me, you do need to be very self motivated though to stay on track, although I'm sure that would be the same for any distance learning course. I just hope that AHPRA will accept it for my registration and only time will tell there!

the Open University also do a "top-up" to degree for Nurses

It's pricey and takes no account of whether it's Diploma or Advanced Diploma (hence why I disregarded it..)

Napier University, Edinburgh, the top up is run through ICS Learn.

Cool, will look into that one.

For reference, Derby works out at £2,100 for Advanced Diploma with 60 credits required over 3 modules, and £4,200 for Diploma topup with 120 credits required over 6 modules.

Ironically, if you can't chuck that kind of money at a course straight off, so long as you haven't completed any other funded Degree, you may be eligible for a Student Loan to cover the costs, lol. https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/courses/funding/Pages/24AdvancedLearningLoans.aspx

So far as AHPRA conformity is concerned, it shouldn't be an issue, although I have no doubt they'll try and make it one. It just says Degree on the certificate, it's externally audited, you'll get a transcript. I have been dreaming education standards since I found out yesterday about the kerfuffle, lol.

Angekins, I officially nominate you as the bearer of good news when it all goes through fine =D

Trust me, if my registration goes through EVERYONE will hear about it!! Still a way off though, just starting to get my things together for ANMAC and still need to actually finish the "top-up" - just a small matter!!

I was also topping up from an Advanced Diploma. My top up with ICS/Napier has cost me £2000 plus a further £70 per summative assessment so £2210 total, but they do offer the option of paying by interest free installments which is one of the reasons I picked them. I also discounted OU as being too pricey and too limited on start dates. ICS was very quick at getting me started on the course and you can work through the formative assessments as quickly (or slowly) as you like. Once you've finished the formative assessments for one module you can move onto the next without waiting to take the summative assessment. They do 2 sittings for the summative assessments a year, in Feb/Mar and Sep/Oct, I did one module earlier this year and will be doing my final two modules this time round. Once the questions are issued you get approx 6weeks to complete. The website gives you a good indication of what the fomative assessments are, ie the infection control module I'm doing this time round has a 1hr multiple choice exam and a 3000 word written assessment. Each module has 2 formative assessments, mine have varied between a multiple choice online exam and a 1000 word to 2000 word written assessment. Overall I've been really happy with them, especially as I've been able to work at my own pace, some weeks I can get loads done, other weeks not so good, all depending on shifts!

Good luck to your wife with whatever she decides, I'm happy to go through what I've needed to do with ICS in more detail if that's of any use.

Does anybody know if any of these courses have a time frame from when u completed your diploma? I enquires with the open university but they said it was too late as u had completed my diploma over 16 years ago? Also I have 40 credits from 2 courses I have done over the past few years, do u think I could use these towards a top up degree, again ou wouldn't accept them as they only accept courses with 30 credits!

Ahaaaa Angekins, you're in England hence the higher price. If you lived in Scotland Napier's fees are ludicrously low. £300 per module, so just under a grand for the 60 CATS. Derby is looking like a good bet at the mo'.

Spratnat, I recall reading an article about the 16 year cutoff being related to the start dates for Project 2000, but don't quote me on that. Why not just give Derby / Napier a ring? Sure they'll be able to advise. Derby definitely allows you to APEL using work experience, my own experience of the OU hasn't been fab in the past, particularly around APEL. Most of the modules we did at Uni were varied between 10 points to 60... OU being inflexible I reckon.

Napier seems to be a bit more liberal in terms of module content, so you might find that a better option?

Edited by JayZ

Hi, I have been waiting since Oct 2013 for registration, I'm having a nightmare with AHPRA! The uni keep providing the wrong information for criteria 6 and 8. Do you know what was exactly sent for these criteria as the uni can't believe that it hasn't been sufficient evidence, I honestly believe they want blood!! They have all my transcripts (I was diploma trained 2000-2003) and all additional info and they sent information on pharmacology.

Also for anyone else in the same predicament as me, today on the AHPRA website on the news release is an email address for anyone having trouble with registration who applied before the new changes in Feb 2104 to contact them, I have tried but with time difference and the weekend hopefully I will hear next week.

On the 1st Aug I have been served a final notice date of the 30th Aug and say will withdraw my application if the appropriate information is not sent! 11 months in and still no registration, 12 years qualified and feel like I'm just starting out! Our house just sold and hubbie already give his job up, we should have moved in March then postponed to Sep due to this, now looks like we could never go! Had permanent residency for 2 years now! I just feel like I am living a nightmare not the dream we should be having.[/QUOT

Hi, I have been waiting since Oct 2013 for registration, I'm having a nightmare with AHPRA! The uni keep providing the wrong information for criteria 6 and 8. Do you know what was exactly sent for these criteria as the uni can't believe that it hasn't been sufficient evidence, I honestly believe they want blood!! They have all my transcripts (I was diploma trained 2000-2003) and all additional info and they sent information on pharmacology.

Also for anyone else in the same predicament as me, today on the AHPRA website on the news release is an email address for anyone having trouble with registration who applied before the new changes in Feb 2104 to contact them, I have tried but with time difference and the weekend hopefully I will hear next week.

On the 1st Aug I have been served a final notice date of the 30th Aug and say will withdraw my application if the appropriate information is not sent! 11 months in and still no registration, 12 years qualified and feel like I'm just starting out! Our house just sold and hubbie already give his job up, we should have moved in March then postponed to Sep due to this, now looks like we could never go! Had permanent residency for 2 years now! I just feel like I am living a nightmare not the dream we should be having.

Sorry for taking long getting back to you, I was on holiday. My Uni sent AHPRA detailed descriptions of each module/syllabus for criterion 6 which also covered Criterion 8. In addition they sent a letter stating I undertook modules on Health Sciences for over 3 years which developed depth relation to understanding medication. In addtion to the modules they stated I undertook Skills modules in each year which included the safe adminitration of medication, safely monitoring use of medical treatments, working with non-adherence and accountability and responsibility associated with self medication and complementary therapies. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, so I'm taking the plunge and entering the black hole that is AHPRA!!!! I'm compiling my cv (because they ask for it but probably don't look at it) and wondered do I need to include stuff like gcse results? Or just the nursing related quals? Also I've done the IELTS so do I need to fill in the education in English bit ? My school is gone now so couldn't get anything to prove I was taught in English!! Any advice much appreciated!!

Hi Bouncy,

You'll probably need to sort out a CV anyway, for applying for jobs if you haven't got one lined up.

Think of it like this, it needs to highlight your best attributes. So if you took GCSE pottery, then went on to A level Pottery, and subsequently on to do a degree then a Masters in Pot Making, it would be pointless listing all of it. You'd only list the Masters as that is the highest level achieved.

It's always best to include core subjects though... for example 10 GCSE's at grade A including Maths, English, German and Combined Science.. but no need to mention Home Ec and Knitting. For nursing it's not relevant.

Obviously you are going to include your IELTS score anyway, so put it in your CV. It just reinforces your schooling.

Work Experience, make the most recent the most detailed, highlighting your accomplishments, then any previous role you've had that helped to build the person you are today.

Hope that makes sense?

In a nut shell... if you're applying to work in an A&E department you want to highlight your observation skills, quick decision making, attention to detail, ability to combine symptoms to make an over all diagnosis. Vastly different to, say Palliative Care where you're going to be looking at more focussed syptoms, baseline measurements for diagnosis and treatment, etc.

Notice how the two are asking for different requirements? Think of your CV as a potted life history that is only giving the relevant information. It should change depending on the audience. For AHPRA, I would suggest focussing on proving professional competence. Use the 8 criteria as your guide and include that in your CV in your own words demonstrating using researched practice guiding your professional practice. Reinforce how your degree helped you at work, but without ignoring your clinical skills.

This is only my (rambling) view on the matter, however CV's generally speaking are the same the world over.

A concise RELEVANT (to the reason why the CV was being requested in the first place) history of you. In other words, employers and AHPRA won't give two hoots if you climbed Ben Nevis or if you have 14 kids. They're interested in what you can do and how you'll apply it in future.

For the record... these are my personal thoughts and I am in no way claiming to be a recruitment / HR / CV expert... however, the thoughts above have always stood me in good stead. PS leave out the home life and personal stuff; age, kids, marital status, hobbies, etc. It's not relevant.