NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi christoallan

As far as I am aware if you have NMC registration to practice in the UK then your qualifications make you eligible for AHPRA registration (as long as everything else is in place).

Did you send copies of your uni transcripts detailing all the modules studied, hours spent on each module and the breakdown of your practice placements etc? Did you send all your statements of service from your employers?

If you really have supplied all the documentation, then I would suggest contacting the AHPRA ombudsman as your registration application shouldn't be taking 7 months.

Hi guys, can anyone please help me! At my absolute wits end with AHPRA. 7 months and counting.

Because I did the nursing diploma as opposed to the degree in the UK, they're asking....

Every applicant applying for registration as a registered nurse (Division 1) in Australia, is required to meet the NMBA’s minimum education requirement of a bachelor degree or comparable qualification together with experience, to be eligible for registration as a registered nurse (Division 1) in Australia

"In order to determine if your qualification together with your experience is comparable to an Australian bachelor degree, please provide the following: Certified evidence of additional education (either post-graduate or professional course in relevant field) or certified evidence of anyprofessional development courses you have undertaken since gaining your registration "

Now, I have sent them everything I have. I have very good references and over 5 years neurosurgical and neuro interventional-radiology experience.

WHAT MORE COULD THEY POSSIBLY WANT!!!

Obviously they're the most difficult bunch of idiots to contact, donotreply@AHPRA and all the rest of it. I'm absolutely sick to death.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! :-S

Chris, Sydney x

You have a comparable qualification. EU Directives determine whether or not your course allows you to be a nurse, you cannot qualify in the EU without your course meeting those standards, but APHRA sometimes are very very slow on the uptake about this. Did you send your academic/syllabus transcript to them for your nursing course?

Have you attended any development courses? Any e-learning? Anything that satisfies an irrational desire for a bit of paper confirming something unnecessary??

Keep breathing this will get resolved with patience.........:biggrin:

Sorry reposting here as posted in wrong thread...

£85 cost and "After 6 weeks wait I have finally received uni transcript and syllabus ... However despite asking the uni haven't included theory hours or clinical hours or syllabus for ru directives/ cross branch covering maternity , ld, mental health and paediatrics , I'm so frustrated!

Can anyone tell me how they proved the eu directives/ cross branch , and if you can just state total number if theory / clinical hours or if you need s full breakdown of every module and state hours for each module / clinical? what format does aphra want?

do you think it would be okay for me to type a list of my placements ? I was with Plymouth uni and they are not being very helpful! "

would appreciate any help ,Thanks x

Hi. I didn't know aphra wanted this-I just sent them my uni transcript, as for anmc they wanted a break down of everything including clinical hours- it was my uni that told me this. My uni sent them just a simple break down of modules studied hours and clinical hours on their letter headed note paper and this was good enough.

I am in the process of gathering the required documentation for nurse registration in Australia. For the past 8 years I have worked as an agency nurse for various agencies. Does AHPRA accept statements of service from employment agencies? Which office deals faster with applications?

Hi fimbo,

I am in a similar situation. Luckily, for the last 6 years I have worked for one employer who has written my statements. I tried to get a longer work history for my skills assessment but couldn't get this in the end as the agency I used to work for have been taken over. I'm not sure if the requirements for AHPRA and ANMAC are the same, but for ANMAC they had to be signed by a clinical manager. Does your agency employ a clinical/nurse in the office who could write briefly your duties etc? That should do it. Anyone else know?

Also, I am waiting to speak with the international department in the NMC who should be able to advise on which AHPRA office is processing applications from overseas nurses the fastest. i will post this info when I get it this p.m.

Hi fimbo,

I am in a similar situation. Luckily, for the last 6 years I have worked for one employer who has written my statements. I tried to get a longer work history for my skills assessment but couldn't get this in the end as the agency I used to work for have been taken over. I'm not sure if the requirements for AHPRA and ANMAC are the same, but for ANMAC they had to be signed by a clinical manager. Does your agency employ a clinical/nurse in the office who could write briefly your duties etc? That should do it. Anyone else know?

Also, I am waiting to speak with the international department in the NMC who should be able to advise on which AHPRA office is processing applications from overseas nurses the fastest. i will post this info when I get it this p.m.

I'm not sure that the NMC would know which office was completing the fastest. I'd be interested to know if they do.

Quieter offices do seem to be quicker for some. One nurse got her registration eligibility email in 16 days from the date she posted it in the UK. That was the Adelaide office. Some have been quick at Perth too. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to any of it TBT. Good luck. :biggrin:

I'm not sure that the NMC would know which office was completing the fastest. I'd be interested to know if they do.

Quieter offices do seem to be quicker for some. One nurse got her registration eligibility email in 16 days from the date she posted it in the UK. That was the Adelaide office. Some have been quick at Perth too. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to any of it TBT. Good luck. :biggrin:

Tee hee hee, I spoke to the NMC international office and asked if they had any insider information on speed of different AHPRA offices to process applications and they said.................."Go with your intuition" so really, absolutely no idea from them, but what they could tell me was this "each application will take time". What a wasted call, funny though.

Tee hee hee, I spoke to the NMC international office and asked if they had any insider information on speed of different AHPRA offices to process applications and they said.................."Go with your intuition" so really, absolutely no idea from them, but what they could tell me was this "each application will take time". What a wasted call, funny though.

So a large dose of BS! Well they are right about each application taking time!!!! And the sun comes up and the sun goes down..........:rolleyes: Seriously for the safe of your mental health, if you can at all avoid the big 3 offices (Sydney/Brisbane or Melbourne) do, more stories on here about them taking for ever than the other offices, like Adelaide, Darwin or sometimes even Perth. :biggrin:

Hiya

Just read your post I am a psychiatric nurse looking for employment in Perth. Just wondered what the prospects of a job were where you are. Hoping to go on 457 visa.Have you left the UK yet?

Lisa

Had my medical saturday and now just waiting! I am actually sitting here in the silence thinking hurry up I am ready !! I did give you my work e-mail and not sure if you contacted me or not so sorry if i missed any e-mail. Let me know if I can help at all.I wanted to go to perth but actually glad to be going to NSW :D

Edited by Delaneym

Hiya Marion,

Won't be long now bet your really excited. Yep did e-mail you and you sent me your correspondance with many thanks.Work has been really hectic lately and it looks like my older son of 20 and daughter of eighteen will have to go on a seperate visa 457 sponsership.We are looking at an emigration company called global visa's to help us at a cost. Debating whether for me and my husband with our twin boys to go on my application with nursing agency and older with global visa.

All decisions sent to try us eh. Glad all is well with you,keep in touch and wish you all the very best for your bright future in OZ

Lisa x

I have posted my AHPRA application today. I have ummmed and arrrghhed and in the end decided to post it to the Victoria office as I am hopeful that I might get a job offer and then it may well need to be lodged with the Victoria office in order to be prioritised. I'l probably regret it. Does anyone know how long applications to the Victoria office are taking to process at present?

Think I'm going mouldy with the rain here in Brighton. xx

To those who have applied to AHPRA, do you get an acknowledgement that they have received your application? Do you get a named person who then deals with your application?

Thanks

Hiya

Cant remember if I got an acknowledgement or not. My application went to Melbourne and took 6 very long and stressful months but htis was more because I am old style trained without a degree or even diploma !! I got a case officer after about 3 months which is great because you then have somebody to hassle and a direct phone number / email address for that person. I'm sure the apps are not taking as long now anyway

Good Luck

Rachel

To those who have applied to AHPRA, do you get an acknowledgement that they have received your application? Do you get a named person who then deals with your application?

Thanks

Yes they will email you when they will charge you confirming they have received your application. My wife received ackowledgement email when she applied to Perth office in June 2011.

...mansawant

Hi,

I'm applying for Nursing and Midwifery Reg with AHPRA.

I worked for 2 years as a nurse, and have just qualified as a midwife.

I understand that my CV should be signed by a manager. Do you think I can use my old nursing manager to do this even though I have not worked for him for the past 18 months whilst I've been training? Obviously I don't have a midwifery manager.

The same applies for my professional reference, should I use my old nursing manager or my recent university tutor or midwifery practice mentor?

Thanks for your help:cute:

Your CV only has to be signed by you - no other signatures needed. There is a help guide as to what is needed on the CV on the AHPRA website - they are very fussy on how it is done: http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Common-Application-Forms.aspx and go down to the part headed Standard Formatfor Curriculum Vitae and click on the link.

You don't have to send a professional reference, it's not compulsory. You do have to send statements of service though - details of what is needed for these is on the AHPRA application form AGOS-40 Section E 13.

You will also need uni transcripts - for both your general nursing and your midwifery courses - if you want dual registration. I'd get in contact with your uni(s) ASAP as getting the transcripts can take quite a while (average 6 weeks).

Good luck with it all :smile:

Your CV only has to be signed by you - no other signatures needed. There is a help guide as to what is needed on the CV on the AHPRA website - they are very fussy on how it is done: http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Common-Application-Forms.aspx and go down to the part headed Standard Formatfor Curriculum Vitae and click on the link.

You don't have to send a professional reference, it's not compulsory. You do have to send statements of service though - details of what is needed for these is on the AHPRA application form AGOS-40 Section E 13.

You will also need uni transcripts - for both your general nursing and your midwifery courses - if you want dual registration. I'd get in contact with your uni(s) ASAP as getting the transcripts can take quite a while (average 6 weeks).

Good luck with it all :smile:

Excellent well that sounds like less hassle! With the uni transcripts, do I supply the uni with the address of the specific AHPRA office I want to apply to (Darwin Office) for to send the transcripts to? Do AHPRA let you know when they have received the transcripts? I'm just concerned about having documents sent to AHPRA before I've sent my full application.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Excellent well that sounds like less hassle! With the uni transcripts, do I supply the uni with the address of the specific AHPRA office I want to apply to (Darwin Office) for to send the transcripts to? Do AHPRA let you know when they have received the transcripts? I'm just concerned about having documents sent to AHPRA before I've sent my full application.

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

I sent my application to Darwin and the NMC stuff was requested before I sent the application. APHRA like a nurse to sign off the statement of service, rather than just a HR person. Ask your UNI first as this takes the longest to arrange.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

Guest adlyn2011

I am a bit confused i have sent my application to AHPRA but when I went on au immigration website there link was to register with ANMAC is this the same?

:arghh:confused.com

Guest Keira Wren

Hi thre,

I am a mental health nurse from the Uk and have been for nearly 6 years. I have been told i have to fill in a AHPRA but when i go to the site there is so much and i am gettiing a bit lost. I heard this is the 1st thing to do before applying for a visa? Can you help me please?

Thanks

Keira

I am a bit confused i have sent my application to AHPRA but when I went on au immigration website there link was to register with ANMAC is this the same?

:arghh:confused.com

AHPRA are the Oz equivalent of the UK NMC - the nurse registration body. ANMAC are the skills assessment body for nursing. If you are going to apply for a full PR visa then you will need to apply to ANMAC for a skills assessment and register with AHPRA. If you are going to Oz on a 457 or a WHV you only need to register with AHPRA.