Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the prob with technology - it happens ALL TOO QUICKLY - I am a very quick typist and brain to fingers is probably far too quick - my dad always says "put pen to paper" - went shopping for some very nice writing paper yesterday to write to dad - you know something a bit Australiana - NOTHING - sales assistant in DJ's said "not much call for that these days"!!!!

Guest jackie Macdonald
My wife hails from Millendreath next door to Looe. I used to think it was idyllic there until the snow drifts piled up in those narrow country lanes and we were marooned for a week with an empty freezer..........guess who had to neck a turkey 3 weeks before xmas just so we could eat some meat. :biglaugh:

kev

I take it Tesco's weren't delivering in those days!!

Guest guest30038
I take it Tesco's weren't delivering in those days!!

Yes they were, but if we couldn't get out, how could they get in? :biggrin:

kev

My wife hails from Millendreath next door to Looe. I used to think it was idyllic there until the snow drifts piled up in those narrow country lanes and we were marooned for a week with an empty freezer..........guess who had to neck a turkey 3 weeks before xmas just so we could eat some meat. :biglaugh:

kev

I remember years ago when I lived In Edgbaston, Birmingham, (near Cricket ground) walking to work in Five Ways, thigh deep in snow only to get there and nobody else was there - trudge trudge - god it was hard work - bloody good exercise for the old thighs though.....

Guest jackie Macdonald
Yes they were, but if we couldn't get out, how could they get in? :biggrin:

kev

Its all tongue in cheek Kev!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest guest21235

I agree with those posting who say just because our forefathers did exactly this in heaps of countries doesn't mean we should have to put up with that in reverse now.

I also agree with this - but I don't think anyone here is in support of such actions. I'm talking about people coming into the UK, not going out of the UK to influenece foreign lands. My point is that the UK has always been subject to immigration and consequently foreign influences be it the Romans, Vikings, Catholics, Muslims etc. We can't suddenly put our hands up and stop what has always been the case, we are an island for goodness sake. Our very history is a mish mash of different cultures and identities from foreigners that came in and so will our future be because that has always been the case. People that try and defend traditions are themselves defending what foreigners brought into the UK in the first place (I'm talking of Christmas, roast dinners, easter eggs, church, tea etc etc) - you are ultimately trying to change the nature of the beast. With the effects of globalisation the rate of change is happening a lot sooner, faster than we have ever seen before with everything - fashion, foods, education and yes even immigration. These immigrants are only the face of the changes that are happening in the world and if you don't like the change, instead of interrogating and blaming the immigrants, interrogate the policies in place that allows it to happen. That is what the governments are for - they are the policy makers and are answerable to it.

I only wish that people were more responsible with their opinions . Often what you see is not reflective of the whole story and it's hard because we often base our attitudes and opinions soley on our own experiences. Added to that is the lack of common ground and interests and traditions we have with those foreigners that are coming in. It's such a hard battle with kids these days in society when they adopt destructive and often violent attitudes from family and friends towards others without actually finding out for themselves the whole story. Of course you feel marginalised and even vunerable but banding about negative attitudes towards immigrants is not the way to go. Be as informed as possible and objective and take action instead of moaning about it. Knowledge is strength after all.

Hope you are all having a good day :)

Guest treesea
I think Britain struggles with immigration due mainly to the fact there wasn't any for hundreds of years. No one came and went apart from the odd war, and it's isolation in Europe because of it's location, probably contributed to the "Wogs begin at Calais" attitude. The influx of immigrants since the end of the war has had a huge effect on the UK. The first wave due to the break up of the Empire and the demarkation of India, through to the more recent arrival of Eastern Europeans, as quoted in a previous post, seeking a better life. The majority of Brits were, and still are unprepared for this "invasion".

There's no doubt Britain is struggling to cope with the amount of immigrants pouring into the country, and will continue to do so. I was in Edinburgh last year and mistakenly bought a British newpaper that was printed in Polish. I later learned that 500,000 a day were printed. I have nothing against that of course, I mention it only to highlight the influx of a single nationality to the UK as an example, and I know Poles are legally entitled entry to the UK as citizens of Europe.

In Austraia we regularly see news bulletins of illegal immigrants at the ferry ports in northern Europe trying to get into the UK. They don't want to stay in France or Belguim etc. they just want to get into the UK. I can only imagine the attraction for them is the generous benefits system and national health should they be successful in achieving residency. It's certainly not the weather is it ? How the country can afford it is a puzzle.

My nephew who lives in Edinburgh and is unemployed gave up his rented flat in the city in November last year. When I asked where he would go he said with absolute confidence the council would have to find somewhere for him as it was their problem. And they did. They moved him into a small private hotel who charged 400 pounds a week and he's still there. He explains if he gets a job he'll lose his free accomodation status. In other words if he gets a job he's homeless. Hardly an incentive to find work and alleviate him as a burden on the tax payer. Personally I think he needs a hard kick on the @rse, but no doubt there's a huge burden of immigrants illegal or otherwise who cost the government a fortune in similiar circumstances. At least that seemed to be the opinion of many Brits when I was last there. Lots of resentment about foregners, and now I see the BNP has just won two seats in the Euro Elections. Always a worry when the Nationalists start to emerge.

The financial crisis in Britain means a cut back in public spending for years and an increase in taxation to pay for the ever accumulating foreign debt that won't be paid back in my life time. I see the country is already in danger of losing it's international triple A rating for finance and credit.

Which gets me to my point. A bit long winded I know.

The problem isn't by how much immigrants should or shouldn't assimilate and learn to be British, it's more a question of Britain's inability to absorb the numbers intent on living there at all costs. The less upheaval caused by their arrival, the more they will be accepted. And by that I mean they should me means tested so they're not a financial burden. There should always be room for refugees in all countries whatever the cost, but turning up uninvited and skint fuels resentment and unacceptance. I can see why many Brits are p1ssed off.

Bondi Pom

Sure, Australia does get to choose its migrants, and why not? Britain, for people coming from outside the EU, could choose to do the same, but there isn't the political will here to fund what it takes to manage the kind of system that Australia has.

Net immigration from the EU may well tail off now the other countries have opened up their work markets to the new Eastern European member states' citizens. I sympathise with your nephew though. Affordable housing here is a big problem. One bedroom flats in Edinburgh start at around £400 a month. Throw in council tax of £70 to £120 a month, a bus pass for £40 a month - if you're in a minimum wage job (£195 a week after tax and NI contributions) it doesn't leave much to live on.

And this all assumes that the minimum wage job is secure employment. Here in Britain, we have a new horror called "zero hours employment contracts." It used to be that if a factory needed workers, it gave those workers permanent jobs. Now though, they work through agencies, and you wouldn't know from one week to the next if you are getting any hours. If you don't get enough hours to make ends meet, you may be able to get a contribution from the DWP but it takes weeks to come through. No wonder people don't get off benefits when they are faced with that sort of alternative. What a Hobson's choice!

The NHS, yes, it's definitely underfunded for the amount of people who need to use it. Likewise our education system. Now the government has an new initiative, to make schooling compulsory until 18. I wonder how it plans to afford building all the extra classrooms this will entail? Usually the solution would be to raise taxes. But being a low wage / high cost of living economy, I wonder how people could afford to pay any more tax. A minimum wage job certainly isn't as viable to live on here as the equivalent was in Australia.

Most Brits probably couldn't give a toss where someone comes from, Britain is such a melting pot these days. There does seem to be a difference, though, between immigrants who move to Australia and those who come here. What I remember about those in Australia is that on the whole they were fairly positive. They were kind of into Australia, if that makes sense? But over here - wow, we Brits do know how to whinge, but some of the immigrants I have met in the years since I came back could give us a real run for our money. The benefits are too low (! really? some of us think the beenfits should be confined to food, electricity and gas vouchers!), the weather is terrible (it's not), we're too fat/too poorly dressed/drink too much/don't work hard/don't respect them enough/the houses are ugly/people swear at work in front of them/there's only English/Welsh/Gaelic programs on the TV (could that be because these are local languages?)/our accents are too broad (fiddlesticks - Scottish accents are beautiful - how else did the narrator on The Deadliest Catch get his job?)/we don't talk like the "people on the BBC used to talk" (thank goodness)/there's no tropical fruits in the shops (did they miss the fact that we are closer to the North Pole than the equator?)/we drive on the wrong side of the road/we take up too much of the seat on the bus (this from a magnificently well padded male).

I just get the impression a lot of immigrants came here expecting streets paved with gold and to be welcomed with open arms, and then spend the next 20 or 30 years trying to get over their disappointment.

Why do people diss the weather so much in Britain? It's warm and sunny for 6 to 8 months of the year, and the winters seem pretty mild. Well, I thought the further north you went, the more likely you'ld get snow, cold and a real four seasons. Hah, how wrong was I! The best snow since we have been back has been in Kent and Cornwall. As to the rain, I'm wondering whether this is a bit of a myth. I've seen two cloudbursts and one day of sheet rain in five years.

Why do people diss the weather so much in Britain? It's warm and sunny for 6 to 8 months of the year, and the winters seem pretty mild. Well, I thought the further north you went, the more likely you'ld get snow, cold and a real four seasons. Hah, how wrong was I! The best snow since we have been back has been in Kent and Cornwall. As to the rain, I'm wondering whether this is a bit of a myth. I've seen two cloudbursts and one day of sheet rain in five years.

We have 9 months of damp, wind and rain.

1 day of snow in Feb/March.

We're back to socks and jumpers and haven't had a window open at night since the unusually hot spell in June.

Long summer nights??? Not where we live.

You do realise the weather is connected to geography don't you? That's why people diss the weather!

We're back to socks and jumpers and haven't had a window open at night since the unusually hot spell in June.

You do realise the weather is connected to geography don't you? That's why people diss the weather!

:SLEEP:Blago+cloud+over+head.jpg

Guest guest30038
Perfect for being on a computer............

I don't make friends easily..........I spend a lot of time on my computer............so do other people................the difference being, I blame it on myself, not on Australia or Aussie "unfriendliness" :biglaugh:

kev

Perfect for being on a computer............

Perfect for being sat around our pool and connected to the internet via wifi.

hang on i feel a dip coming on, back in about 15 after a swim and a glass of Vodka & tonic

:biglaugh:

Guest treesea

Well, when it comes to geography, for all Britain is one little spot in the ocean, the weather here must differ wildly from place to place. Edinburgh turns on 12 months of sunshine, interspersed with clouds that pretend they are thinking about rain, if they bother to fly past at all. And when they do get around to raining, either they wait until the middle of the night, or put on such a pathetic show it's hardly worth watching. It's bare feet and teeshirts weather up here. And warm rather than hot.

Guest ElizaBee

Hi Treesea,

I am really looking forward to visiting Edinburgh when we go back.

I remember how pretty the city was when i visited as a child. Cant wait to take my own kids to the zoo and all the wonderful history.

Have plenty of holidays planned when we go back, and i really dont care about the weather! The intense, scorching heat leaves me so listless i cant do anything, so i will be happy to be able to move around as i wish and not be limited by the heat.

Guest treesea

Hi ElizaBee,

Yes, I remember the heat of Melbourne, and having to live with the endless hum of the air conditioners around the house. Not to mention central heating in the winter. That's something it took me a while to get used to when we came back - how quiet the houses are, - no air con and no central heating. That desert furnace kind of heat. Still, it could be worse, as in high humidity suffocating Singapore style heat.

Edinburgh's a good city to visit with children. There's heaps for them to do here.

Well, when it comes to geography, for all Britain is one little spot in the ocean, the weather here must differ wildly from place to place. Edinburgh turns on 12 months of sunshine, interspersed with clouds that pretend they are thinking about rain, if they bother to fly past at all. And when they do get around to raining, either they wait until the middle of the night, or put on such a pathetic show it's hardly worth watching. It's bare feet and teeshirts weather up here. And warm rather than hot.

Sorry to persist, but are you on medication!!:laugh:

I had to check what temperature is bare feet and t-shirt weather.

The average temperature for Edinburg for August was 13/14 C and for January it's 3 C. I agree 3 degrees is mild (?) for UK in winter, but I wouldn't call 13 a warm summer. And I wouldn't be moving there for those kinds of temperatures!!

But if you love it then fair play, glad you're happy:yes:

Sorry to persist, but are you on medication!!:laugh:

I had to check what temperature is bare feet and t-shirt weather.

The average temperature for Edinburg for August was 13/14 C and for January it's 3 C. I agree 3 degrees is mild (?) for UK in winter, but I wouldn't call 13 a warm summer. And I wouldn't be moving there for those kinds of temperatures!!

But if you love it then fair play, glad you're happy:yes:

Bugga!!! My refridgerator is set for 3 deg...

Bugga again!! Our coldest winter day was 17 deg

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived