Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Ok. I was responding mainly to themussonsuk posts.

And no, my kids aren't at secondary school so I don't have experience of that.

Believe me, I don't think the UK is so wonderful at all!!!

I hate any prejudice or unfairness. I also believe that nothing will improve in our communities and towns and countries if people just sit back and moan.

The systems stinks and is getting worse, but I don't think it's one group who are at fault. There's fraud across the board.

If I were in your position I would talk to the head teacher, because there doesn't seem to be very good leadership at that school. And then go above him/her. S/He is answerable to someone!!!

Good luck.

Sue x

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest themussonsUK
No Im sorry I think youre wrong I dont think you have any experience of what is happening in our schools (IMO mainly secondary schools) but if you do then I apologise and have misunderstood your posts.

I and three other parents had to take our kids out of school for a week because of the unfairness of the system with regards to race/creed/colour/religion whatever you want to call it. Our kids were being bullied (and I mean bullied in a big way) but when they retaliated (and it was proven that they did not start or initiate any of the arguments/fights etc) the race card was waived and they were suspended for 2 days. Nothing, and I mean nothing happened to the 'other' kids that started it all. They were not suspended or even punished, I doubt that their parents were even told. I had to try and explain to my son that he just had to accept what had happened/was happening to him and that the unfairness of it was 'just life' and that he had to ignore it and get over it even though I didnt agree with one word that I was saying to him. The teachers admit they are fed up with it but theres nothing they can do and the mentors/TA's try to encourage the kids 'to keep their mouths shut and not answer back for fear of being punished/suspended' again.

I am not racist I never have been Im just fed up with what is happening every day in the UK and Im fed up watching such a beautiful country going down the toilet.

If the UK is so wonderful and full of happiness why are so many people (mainly those that have been here 20 years or more) getting out??

You are soooo on my wave length! I am sorry that this happened to your kid, but you are not alone. This is happening all of the time, every day in a million different ways. We are practically crying out for help and at the same time trying to bring our kids up 'right'. How can we, when no-one really knows what exactly 'right' is anymore through fear of offending/upsetting somebody. No-one has the power to change anything and I too am fed up with watching this country go down the toilet.

........wait for it.........the next post will be someone telling us to stop moaning/complaining and that Oz doesnt want whinging POMS!!! LOL

Guest Tracy1
You are soooo on my wave length! I am sorry that this happened to your kid, but you are not alone. This is happening all of the time, every day in a million different ways. We are practically crying out for help and at the same time trying to bring our kids up 'right'. How can we, when no-one really knows what exactly 'right' is anymore through fear of offending/upsetting somebody. No-one has the power to change anything and I too am fed up with watching this country go down the toilet.

........wait for it.........the next post will be someone telling us to stop moaning/complaining and that Oz doesnt want whinging POMS!!! LOL

:biglaugh:LOL Oz has to have me I was born in Brisbane:biglaugh:

Guest themussonsUK
:biglaugh:LOL Oz has to have me I was born in Brisbane:biglaugh:

Ha Ha Ha - I'll just shut up then!!!!!!! But you know it would be coming from someone!!

What are you waiting for if you were born in Brisbane? How long have you been in the UK?

Guest Tracy1
Ha Ha Ha - I'll just shut up then!!!!!!! But you know it would be coming from someone!!

What are you waiting for if you were born in Brisbane? How long have you been in the UK?

Im waiting for my youngest son to leave school next year and also hoping that house prices will go up so i might at least get what I paid for my house 2 years ago. If it all goes to plan we will go to Oz when he leaves school.

Ive been in the UK for 42 years (OMG makes me sound so old) but I lived in Manly, Sydney for a year in 1987 but came back to UK as my dad was dying and I was pregnant with my 2nd. Ive got relatives in Perth and Brisbane and I will be going to Brisbane. My eldest son is there now but coming back here to start job in London in September for 3 years. (Also have to save up thousands and thousands of pounds to take the dog!)

Tracy xx

Guest boomerangpommie

All of these immigrants are only claiming everything that they can get their hands on because they are entitled to it and this has been decided by the powers that be. What they are doing is no different from all of the lazy, native British people who have made a career choice of the benefits system here because they are entitled to it or the British politicians we've been hearing about lately with their expense claims, which they are/were also entitled to. The only difference is, that these immigrants are coming from povery that we could never in our wildest dreams imagine and by and large, are coming from countries that for 100/200 years, Britain went over and fleeced and changed their national/religious boundaries and had a good go at their language, culture and traditions while they were at it. Even though it is wrong, it is human nature to take any thing that is being offered to you for free. I don't agree with it but I don't agree with slating whole nationalities because a minority who have very limited choices about their lives and destinies seem to be benefiting from a policy that they did not put in place or ask for. Also, they can't win, cos if they were all in work, everyone would be saying they're taking our jobs.

Guest themussonsUK
All of these immigrants are only claiming everything that they can get their hands on because they are entitled to it and this has been decided by the powers that be. What they are doing is no different from all of the lazy, native British people who have made a career choice of the benefits system here because they are entitled to it or the British politicians we've been hearing about lately with their expense claims, which they are/were also entitled to. The only difference is, that these immigrants are coming from povery that we could never in our wildest dreams imagine and by and large, are coming from countries that for 100/200 years, Britain went over and fleeced and changed their national/religious boundaries and had a good go at their language, culture and traditions while they were at it. Even though it is wrong, it is human nature to take any thing that is being offered to you for free. I don't agree with it but I don't agree with slating whole nationalities because a minority who have very limited choices about their lives and destinies seem to be benefiting from a policy that they did not put in place or ask for. Also, they can't win, cos if they were all in work, everyone would be saying they're taking our jobs.

You make good points here, and in the most part I agree with you....but it still feels like we are being taken over and that our beliefs/culture/religion are being pushed aside in the process. Whatever happened in the past, doesn't make whats happening now to the UK, right or justified!

I can. The family I mention have just had a two storey exstension put on the back of their house the front garden made into a drive, new people carrier parked on it all done by the council, because one of their children is handicapped. He delivers pizza she knocks out the kids more benefit you see clever. Oh and last week she attacked a mother at the school who was holding her baby knocking them to the ground because she had asked for her sons stuff back off the daughter. Thinks shes getting done for it.

This just one case of scrounging around here. I think its just us and a few neighbours not doing it!

Anyway who whats to by a house. Nice area you just have to take your chance at the school gates.

How does 1 Asian family constitute the whole population? whether that be 1 or a group, I bet i could point out loads more doing the right thing paying taxes etc etc etc same goes for the polish and anyone else aloud into this country.

The people you should be pissed off with are the lazy arseholes who just take (all colours) and that think the world owes them something.

Worse than these are the ones that work for below minimum wage

Guest themussonsUK
Im waiting for my youngest son to leave school next year and also hoping that house prices will go up so i might at least get what I paid for my house 2 years ago. If it all goes to plan we will go to Oz when he leaves school.

Ive been in the UK for 42 years (OMG makes me sound so old) but I lived in Manly, Sydney for a year in 1987 but came back to UK as my dad was dying and I was pregnant with my 2nd. Ive got relatives in Perth and Brisbane and I will be going to Brisbane. My eldest son is there now but coming back here to start job in London in September for 3 years. (Also have to save up thousands and thousands of pounds to take the dog!)

Tracy xx

My eldest is 12 and has just started secondary school. We felt initially that it would be best to go asap due to this but now think that maybe it will be best to hang on til he finishes school. Prob we have is he wants to got to Uni afterwards and we just don't know when the 'right' time is with regards to his education. HOw does your son feel re going after school? We wondered whether 16 is a dodgy age to take them away as well? My 2nd is 7 and i dont think we have anything to worry about with her for a while...other 2 are 3 and 1 (mad woman!) so no worries there either really. OH biological family are in Perth - Bertram? Never been but understand it to be a bit industrial. (He was adopted young in the UK and met Mum who came over from Oz about 10 years ago-has sisters and brother there also, that he has never met)

We don't know anything about Oz apart from Perth, so naturally where we were heading....any ideas of nicer areas there (pref about at least an hour from family!)

Was told Rockingham nice but think thats on doorstep.

You must be itching to get back there? Do you personally feel Oz is the better place to be, given all of both countries 'problems'? We just want to give our kids the best chance for a decent future. (Glad I've not got a dog! - mind you 4 kids and a husband's enough!!!) Natalie x

This is a long thread, so be warned!!!

I returned to the UK last year after moving to Sydney with my husband and 2 children in 2007 – I only lasted 7 months. One of my problems was that I could not get a job as my UK teaching qualification was not recognised by the NSW Education Department (despite being used to get the PR visa!!). The only way to fix this was to go back to uni and do more study. My husband quickly got a job but I earn more and my wages were really needed. We had also put our son into kindergarten as soon as a place came up and kept him there as I got some supply work in a private school and we thought that I would soon be working properly… This meant that we were still using our savings despite a wage coming in. I had a couple of great interviews with some private schools, but no job.

Another issue was that my husband has a sister and her family there as well as some aunts, uncles and cousins and their families. I had met them all on previous visits to Oz and when they came here and they are all nice enough, but they have their own lives and families to think about and we never really became a part of that. I missed my family and I really felt a complete lack of support networks while I was there, it was like all the scaffolding of my life had fallen away. I felt isolated, alone and literally like I was on another planet, away from everything I knew. Also my 11 year old daughter (not my husband’s daughter) got terribly homesick and unfortunately, the first lot of friends she made were particularly unpleasant girls who made her life hell. As my husband felt that things were coming together nicely with his job, family, beautiful suburb, lifestyle we were living etc, he just stuck his head in the sand and got extremely annoyed if my daughter or I got upset or expressed any sentiments about going home or regretting being in Australia, he felt we weren’t doing enough to make ourselves settle

To cut a really long story short, it was when my sister-in-law (who interfered a lot, she sponsored us, so kind of acted like she owned us) suggested I seek professional help because I felt down, that I realised maybe I was in the wrong place and should come home. It ended up with me and the children coming back and my husband refusing to. I had quite a nasty, lecturing email from my sister-in-law, who knew about 5% of the facts and the whole of my husband’s family now think I returned to the UK because my daughter didn’t like Australia.

Anyway, when I first got back here, I was so relieved and happy and quickly got a job and a house to rent. My husband and I had a few shaky months but he eventually decided to join us back in the UK four months after we had first left Oz. He has a job here now and we are still trying to work out what went wrong between us and the whole emigration thing. My daughter is now in the same school as before we went to Oz with the same friends and sees her aunt and uncle and nanny now (she doesn't seem to view my husband's family as her own) and our son is in the same nursery as before.

But it isn’t the same. I realise that I actually probably could live with seeing my family once or twice a year. I hardly ever see my friends. It’s cold and dark and expensive. The people here look miserable and poor, the streets look dirty and poor. Maybe I couldn’t see it before, maybe it got worse while I was away. When I first got back I couldn’t even get any Income Support until I got a job as I was told I was not a habitual resident of this country!

I really miss Australia and I regret coming back. Obviously my husband really does not want to be here. I work in a school where half the kids come from homes on benefits and have no intention of working themselves and have no respect for themselves (I have a couple of Year 10 and 11 mums-to-be in my classes) or anyone else ( I frequently get told to f**k off) and just despair at where it will all end.

We are talking about going back and I am doing an OU course to get my qualifications sorted out and think that if I can get a job when we go back, at least I'll be out of the house and busy and I will meet people and start forming a network. I could also do some hobbies or something and my son will be starting primary school soon, so I can make friends with other moms. I think I did kind of think that my husband's family would go out of their way for us and realise now, I could have done more for myself.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of dilemma? Gone back and it's worked out? If we do go back, I'd be more scared than before because so much is riding on it this time. I don't think my husband would allow me to take my son out of the country again if I couldn't settle. Also my daughter really doesn't want to go back and it causes a lot of stress if we talk about it - she says she'll come back to the UK as soon as she's 18 - I couldn't bear that - but I'm sure in the long run she'd be okay. My family are hot and cold all the time, sometimes saying I'd be mad to go back after everything that's happened at other times saying get the hell out of here while you can.

Who would have thought that trying to get 'A New Life Down Under' could be so traumatic? :wacko:

OP's post

I agree the British did form an empire and push their beliefs on alarge number of countries,people,religion,war,empire building,and,and,things!!!!!!!!!

100/200 years ago and even before that homo sapiens wiped out cavemen you know the ones with the big foreheads ne..and..doo something how far do you want too go back?

I like too deal with todays issues rather to be bogged down by the past.

Guest sunnyday
I agree the British did form an empire and push their beliefs on alarge number of countries,people,religion,war,empire building,and,and,things!!!!!!!!!

100/200 years ago and even before that homo sapiens wiped out cavemen you know the ones with the big foreheads ne..and..doo something how far do you want too go back?

I think boomerangpommy makes some valid points and refers to the past whilst making a point about the present and human nature, hardly being bogged down in the past IMO

How does 1 Asian family constitute the whole population? whether that be 1 or a group, I bet i could point out loads more doing the right thing paying taxes etc etc etc same goes for the polish and anyone else aloud into this country.

The people you should be pissed off with are the lazy arseholes who just take (all colours) and that think the world owes them something.

Worse than these are the ones that work for below minimum wage

Like I said thats just one case of scrouging I know of. I never mention no ones race or colour.

If you work and pay taxes and contribute why should anyone have a problem?

To the original poster

Its a dilemma which has always been faced by migrants. I think if you want to return you have to do what is best for the family not what they think is best.

I also believe having read many posts on the subject that we have to get used to feeling like we do not belong as we do not belong we were born in the UK and we will always have a strong pull there because of that. We can however make a very good life here in Australia and enjoy it and our children who grow up here will not have the same pull. Migration progress. If everyone who wanted to go home went home there would be a lot of wide open space in the countries that have taken millions of migrants over the years.

We have to realise we are not alone feeling different, we are different, just because we speak the same language our habits and the way we do things are different.

I had a Vietnamese client and he asked me what was different being English as to Aussie and I explained to him we are different, we run our homes differenty, just like the Vietnamese run their homes differently.

If we can accept that we are not going to feel like full blown Aussies we have allegiance to our homeland but this land is giving us another in most cases better chance for our families we settle fine.

If we always look to be accepted then we will be unhappy. Being unacceptable is in our eyes only not others.

Guest guest21235
Once again....someone else that has missed the point of this thread!!

Yes 'BRITAIN' IS a democracy and we can VOICE our opinions....thats not to say that they are being HEARD!

That is not what you stipulated - re-read your post.

"As i have previously said we are handed the racist card on ANY opinion we might have, yet we see immigrants/foreigners that never had democracy in their own country literally getting away with murder."

I'm not handing anyone with anything. I don't assume you as a racist bigot or anything close to, please don't assume anything about me.

"I am happy for people of any religion/colour/race to move to my country if their intentions are genuine. BUt if you don't think that our system is being severely exploited at the expense of the British people, then you are very naive my friend."

And everyone knows that our government is made up of a bunch of wallies and that the system is not perfect, but the principles are honourable to say the least.

"Everybody wants to come here because of the 'benefits' and 'freebies'."

EVERYONE?! I'm so sick of the hyperboles and quite frankly ... it's boring! When I speak to kids today the attitudes that spew forth from their mouths is despicable, and where do MOST of them adopt them from? Their families, mostly parents. Honestly, what good can come off that?!

" Is this why immigrants came here 100 years ago?? NO!"

LOL! Who knows why anyone immigrates! Who are you to assume anything? Britain has always been subject to move things forward and the world is evolving. You can't stop that. By all means have your opinions but if you saw the complete and utter damage it is doing to our youth and our country I think you would think differently.

"Irrespective of the UK's history.....this country has never been in such a state because of this reason. And IMHO - it will only get worse! If you choose to put your head in the sand and think otherwise, then naturally that IS your preogative.

My head is firmly where it should be thanks. I will only say that you haven't done your research properly. I might recommend your use the 'Freedom of Information Act" and look at the stats - ooooo irony again.

Guest guest21235

Erm ... missing the point again.

The very notion that you want so badly to 'cleanse' Britain of, is the very notion that made us Great.

The government is the problem NOT the people they are letting in and yet it is the people who are being, to use the words of someone else, "blasted down".

Guest guest21235
Yes start the ball rolling now because you wont get very far before youre accused and/or arrested for being racist?:no:

Hmmm ... the only one I see waving it about Tracy is you

Erm ... missing the point again.

The very notion that you want so badly to 'cleanse' Britain of, is the very notion that made us Great.

The government is the problem NOT the people they are letting in and yet it is the people who are being, to use the words of someone else, "blasted down".

What don't understand?

Guest guest21235

Look, we all have our issues with things as they are at "home" and you all have stories to tell of what this person and that person did to you which of course creates a lot of emotions and anger. But you have to look at the bigger picture.

Each case must be judged by it's own merit/ or demerit in many of our cases. The guy that lived next door to me in the UK decided to take some sick days off work ... 6 months to be exact and then went on to claim disability benefit for a bad back! For most of those 6 months he was working on building his extension and trust me, there was nothing wrong with his back! He then has the audacity to complain about a polish lady that had served him in a coffee shop saying that he could hardly understand her and that he wished these foreigners would **ss off!! It's people like him which put a huge strain on our economy - people taking sick days off, sueing their company or having more children than they can afford which drove us to 'welcoming' immigrants in to do the work that lazy gets like him wouldn't do! I had a friend at Uni whose mother sued her company for the most ridiculous of things and actually bragged about how much money they got and how they were going to go on a luxury holiday! Now, I'm not putting any of you in the same category as this guy (who apart from that was actually very pleasant) but you can see how attitudes and opinions can escalate for the worse. I would HATE for anyone to assume the worst of me because of a few lazy gets like him and yet that is exactly what a lot of you are doing.

Yes, I see lots of mothers having a verbal episode at one another but I don't put it down to anything else but them. And it's a shame that most of you see only the bad because I've seen so much good. As I've said before, we owe our thanks to those Indian doctors who left their homes to try to make a better life for themselves in the UK, who more or less saved the NHS and no, this was only 10-20 years ago, not 100. (I only mentioned the influence of immigrants in our history to make a point which some of you missed). And yet a lot of them have their families persecuted - non of you have mentioned that side of things and this is one of many - what about the teachers, doctors, lawyers, cleaners etc? The UK are crying out for these professions. I've also seen immigrants who 'milk' the system and manage to get a living from it from doing nothing (although I would not want a life of poverty as that is exactly what it is) but then that is the SYSTEM that we ourselves created (not you personally but the rat bags that exist in every society). And to say EVERY immigrant gets benefits is a hyperbole which is getting boring and unjust to say the least.

We created this round about - you can't just pinpoint it on 'Immigrants' - it goes far beyond that. I realise that we can never agree on such subjects and I'm glad a lot of you have found happiness here in Australia - but the world is changing. If that is why you left the UK then Australia is not far behind.

I wish you all the best

Ely

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to ensures she settles in well and wants to stay!..maybe joining social groups from ireland/uk, getting in the Sky TV equivalent to watch some of the programs from home.... any other suggestions?

Forgive me being blunt but anyone arriving in a new country like Australia and looking for support groups and UK TV programmes really shouldn't bother coming. As I said in another post, those who have to bring the country with them are the ones who tend to return in a dilemna. I think most of these problems are totally avoidable. I've been in Sydney, (always around the beaches), off and on for thirty years. Although I worked in Perth it's a place I couldn't live in due to the vast amount of Poms who jumped of the boat at the first port and never ventured any further. If your friend needs Coronation Street etc. and still plans on emigrating, maybe Perth would be the best choice.

Karl

Guest JoanneHattersley

LOL! Sydney I agree! Come to a new place and take it on! Thats always been my philosophy!!! 90% of my friends here are Australian and some of my truest friends are Aussies!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to ensures she settles in well and wants to stay!..maybe joining social groups from ireland/uk, getting in the Sky TV equivalent to watch some of the programs from home.... any other suggestions?

Forgive me being blunt but anyone arriving in a new country like Australia and looking for support groups and UK TV programmes really shouldn't bother coming. As I said in another post, those who have to bring the country with them are the ones who tend to return in a dilemna. I think most of these problems are totally avoidable. I've been in Sydney, (always around the beaches), off and on for thirty years. Although I worked in Perth it's a place I couldn't live in due to the vast amount of Poms who jumped of the boat at the first port and never ventured any further. If your friend needs Coronation Street etc. and still plans on emigrating, maybe Perth would be the best choice.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Welcome to PIO. I agree and disagree with your post. There is nothing wrong with wanting a piece of home with you. I'm Australian living in the UK and always bring back comfort food with me, I wish i could get AFL on TV, my brother sends me out the Aussie movies and i'll watch shows like Cath and KIm. I read the Victorian papers on line, drink Australian wine and buy vegimite, milo and TimTams when I can. I'll go to the Aussie bar and drink VB, and love nothing more than talking to Australians when ever they are around.

But on the other hand I have a season ticket to Blackburn Rovers and enjoy the soccer and enjoy the banter. I started watching it so i could join in the chit chat of the lunch rooms, enjoy watching coronation street LOL exploring the countryside and enjoy learning about the past of the place. You need to fit in, so you can join in.

England will never be my home but I guess it has a soft spot and if worst come to worst i could live here forever.

My home is not my house or the area I live in or where abouts in the world i live but my family! As long as i have those the rest just dosen't matter.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Sit back Geoff! Im about to agree with you!

My home is not my house or the area I live in or where abouts in the world i live but my family! As long as i have those the rest just dosen't matter

Well said!

Hi Karl,

Welcome to PIO. I agree and disagree with your post. There is nothing wrong with wanting a piece of home with you. I'm Australian living in the UK and always bring back comfort food with me, I wish i could get AFL on TV, my brother sends me out the Aussie movies and i'll watch shows like Cath and KIm. I read the Victorian papers on line, drink Australian wine and buy vegimite, milo and TimTams when I can. I'll go to the Aussie bar and drink VB, and love nothing more than talking to Australians when ever they are around.

But on the other hand I have a season ticket to Blackburn Rovers and enjoy the soccer and enjoy the banter. I started watching it so i could join in the chit chat of the lunch rooms, enjoy watching coronation street LOL exploring the countryside and enjoy learning about the past of the place. You need to fit in, so you can join in.

England will never be my home but I guess it has a soft spot and if worst come to worst i could live here forever.

My home is not my house or the area I live in or where abouts in the world i live but my family! As long as i have those the rest just dosen't matter.

Nothing wrong with that mate. I follow Hearts in Edinburgh and look for news most days thanks to the internet. Aussies are pretty good travellers apart from the Oi OI Oi crap and quite a few do the opposite to me and settle in the Old Dart. As I've said before music, theatre, history or travel, why would you settle in Oz. And I'm sure many Aussies enjoy just that. I love Aussie and Kiwi and still enjoy going home to see the fam but I couldn't have done as well over there as I've managed here. I must confess though, the pommy winge-er is just that, and would complain wherever they lived. Good luck for next season. Big Sam should make his stamp on the club by then.

Cheers,

Syd

Guest boomerangpommie

[quote name='Webbwebbies;512572

QUOTE]

Actually' date=' cavemen were homo sapiens and have just evolved to look the way we do today and unfortunately, the past has a very sneaky habit of coming back to haunt us, even if it is a way back - I wish it didn't cos then we as individuals and as a species could do all sorts of stuff and not pay the consequences....

Archived