Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Guest treesea
Sorry to persist, but are you on medication!!:laugh:

I had to check what temperature is bare feet and t-shirt weather.

The average temperature for Edinburg for August was 13/14 C and for January it's 3 C. I agree 3 degrees is mild (?) for UK in winter, but I wouldn't call 13 a warm summer. And I wouldn't be moving there for those kinds of temperatures!!

But if you love it then fair play, glad you're happy:yes:

We live in north Edinburgh, quite close to the sea. When we first came back the first weinter came and went - half an inch of snowfall all winter and even that didn't even see out 24 hours. Quite disappointing. The second winter was the same - and then one day we went 10 miles inland and up the hill. WHAT a contrast. It looked like Canada! There was half a foot of snow, barely outside Edinburgh's city limits.

Right now, it's the middle of the night and 18C inside. Average temperatures are a bit misleading. We've got a met office station just up the road from us at the Botanics, and their average was around 18C in the daytime (one day of nearly 30C - not to my taste :-) and around 10-11c at night. That's for July.

Yes, minus temperatures in winter in Britain seem to be something that happens at 2am or half way up Ben Nevis. Overall though, I would say the weather here is invigorating, whereas I found the heat in Australia, especially in Melbourne, really sapped my energy.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We live in north Edinburgh, quite close to the sea. When we first came back the first weinter came and went - half an inch of snowfall all winter and even that didn't even see out 24 hours. Quite disappointing. The second winter was the same - and then one day we went 10 miles inland and up the hill. WHAT a contrast. It looked like Canada! There was half a foot of snow, barely outside Edinburgh's city limits.

Right now, it's the middle of the night and 18C inside. Average temperatures are a bit misleading. We've got a met office station just up the road from us at the Botanics, and their average was around 18C in the daytime (one day of nearly 30C - not to my taste :-) and around 10-11c at night. That's for July.

Yes, minus temperatures in winter in Britain seem to be something that happens at 2am or half way up Ben Nevis. Overall though, I would say the weather here is invigorating, whereas I found the heat in Australia, especially in Melbourne, really sapped my energy.

You have lived an interesting life .....and chose to come back to us in the UK .....its good to have you back.

A bit like myself .....been to a few places ,globally.....i have done all the usual Highland trips to Scotland ( stunning),but i have NEVER been to Edinburgh.....i must do it!

Guest LondonGal

I watched an episode of Location, Location, Location last night that featured Edinburgh and I have to say it did look stunning. The rooms in some of the houses were huge!! I will have to visit when I return. The Australian summer heat saps my energy too, but today here in Perth is pretty perfect I have to admit, not sure what the temperature is though.

I don't understand why people go on about the UK weather so much. It's like they expect the weather they got on their 2 week Med holiday to be in the UK all year round. Hot summers and mild winters. But the UK's not the Med, never has been and never will be, get over it!

I watched an episode of Location, Location, Location last night that featured Edinburgh and I have to say it did look stunning. The rooms in some of the houses were huge!! I will have to visit when I return. The Australian summer heat saps my energy too, but today here in Perth is pretty perfect I have to admit, not sure what the temperature is though.

I don't understand why people go on about the UK weather so much. It's like they expect the weather they got on their 2 week Med holiday to be in the UK all year round. Hot summers and mild winters. But the UK's not the Med, never has been and never will be, get over it!

What a bizarre statement!!

The nearest mediterranean coast to my house is 850 miles away.

If I were to visit that place for a 2 week holiday and then travel 850 miles back to my house....why would I EXPECT to experience the same weather????

If you are born and raised in UK or have lived here for several years, you'd have to be really thick to still wonder why UK doesn't have mediterranean weather, wouldn't you??

If you were returning to the UK, how are you going to find these 'micro-climates' that treesea mentions where she lives? You'd have to live somewhere for a few seasons to experience the fact that the weather is different to the recorded average, that's an expensive business, and a lot of research.

Bottom line is we who live in the UK KNOW it's not a meditteranean climate, and some people are happy with the weather and some not!!

Guest LondonGal
What a bizarre statement!!

The nearest mediterranean coast to my house is 850 miles away.

If I were to visit that place for a 2 week holiday and then travel 850 miles back to my house....why would I EXPECT to experience the same weather????

If you are born and raised in UK or have lived here for several years, you'd have to be really thick to still wonder why UK doesn't have mediterranean weather, wouldn't you??

If you were returning to the UK, how are you going to find these 'micro-climates' that treesea mentions where she lives? You'd have to live somewhere for a few seasons to experience the fact that the weather is different to the recorded average, that's an expensive business, and a lot of research.

Bottom line is we who live in the UK KNOW it's not a meditteranean climate, and some people are happy with the weather and some not!!

You completely missed the point.

All we hear from the UK bashers on here about the weather in the UK is its cr**, cr** and more cr**. It’s like a broken record. Saying the British weather is cr** and its always raining has become automatic whether it is true or not. It’s like a national pastime. The British weather is not cr** but it will never be the 6 months of summer that most people seem to want. Why people can’t seem to accept that is strange as the weather has always been the same (apart from minor yearly deviations) and it’s never going to change (unless climate change really kicks in).

Guest lee n sar
You completely missed the point.

All we hear from the UK bashers on here about the weather in the UK is its cr**, cr** and more cr**. It’s like a broken record. Saying the British weather is cr** and its always raining has become automatic whether it is true or not. It’s like a national pastime. The British weather is not cr** but it will never be the 6 months of summer that most people seem to want. Why people can’t seem to accept that is strange as the weather has always been the same (apart from minor yearly deviations) and it’s never going to change (unless climate change really kicks in).

Yea but the weather is cr** though in it?:laugh:

That's right, it is a national pastime. And you'll find foreign visitors to UK mentioning it too.

Saying the weather is crap is an opinion.

Saying it's not crap is also an opinion.

If you accept that, then reading about people feeling happy/unhappy in the weather makes sense.

People wanting 6 months of summer are looking for it in a different country.....because summer doesn't really exist here anymore, except for the odd freak week or two.

I must of missed all that good weather your talking about obviously a different weather system in the north of Edinburgh!.....it's certainly was not 18c in my house last night, it was b%^& freezing and peeing down with rain!

I have also never known it to be anywhere near 30c in Edinburgh. :err:

That's right, it is a national pastime. And you'll find foreign visitors to UK mentioning it too.

Saying the weather is crap is an opinion.

Saying it's not crap is also an opinion.

If you accept that, then reading about people feeling happy/unhappy in the weather makes sense.

People wanting 6 months of summer are looking for it in a different country.....because summer doesn't really exist here anymore, except for the odd freak week or two.

so in fact, it isn't such a

bizarre statement
after all:cute:

Guest jackie Macdonald
I must of missed all that good weather your talking about obviously a different weather system in the north of Edinburgh!.....it's certainly was not 18c in my house last night, it was b%^& freezing and peeing down with rain!

I have also never known it to be anywhere near 30c in Edinburgh. :err:

Well I've been back in the UK (South East) for 2 months now and the weather has been perfect! Admittedly it has cooled down over the last couple of days, but then we are well used to having just a few months of good weather in the main, but boy do we appreciate it when it's here.. well apart from a few who will always moan!

jackie xx

so in fact, it isn't such a after all:cute:

aldo -

The 'bizarre' statement was highlighted:

But, thanks for stalking anyway

Well I've been back in the UK (South East) for 2 months now and the weather has been perfect! Admittedly it has cooled down over the last couple of days, but then we are well used to having just a few months of good weather in the main, but boy do we appreciate it when it's here.. well apart from a few who will always moan!

jackie xx

'perfect' is an opinion adjective.

And, yes, I will always moan about this weather. I meet a lot of people who do. Some of them are emigrating some of them are not. Some of them go abroad to find the sun and some have holidays in Uk cut short because of bad summer weather.

Glad you've found your perfect weather.

jackie xx

I am not moaning, I am just saying that I have not been aware of the same weather as the previous poster had mentioned.

What I will moan about is the constant downing of Australia just because it was not for them!

Each to their own!

Guest jackie Macdonald
I am not moaning, I am just saying that I have not been aware of the same weather as the previous poster had mentioned.

What I will moan about is the constant downing of Australia just because it was not for them!

Each to their own!

Hey emmaroo, I was most definitely not pointing the finger at you! I am well aware of the difference in our weather conditions.

I hope you weren't referring to me as having a constant downer on Australia. If you read many of my posts, I don't slate Australia, I just speak very highly of the UK.

Jackie xx

Hey emmaroo, I was most definitely not pointing the finger at you! I am well aware of the difference in our weather conditions.

I hope you weren't referring to me as having a constant downer on Australia. If you read many of my posts, I don't slate Australia, I just speak very highly of the UK.

Jackie xx

Hi

No I was not labelling you as an oz downer, I was just giving an example of something that I do moan about ( amongst other things!)

:hug:

Jackie, you are obviously a new "went home and lovin' it" pio member, as a veteran I feel its my duty to take you under my wing and put you straight on a few things, such as:

• Rain in the UK is wet rain but in Aus' its "good rain"
  • Chavs in the UK are evil, Aussie bogans are salt of the earth who help old ladies across the road.
  • In the UK if the checkout girl doesn't talk to you its because she is rude and surly, in aus its your fault to not trying hard enough.
  • If you cant be happy in Aus its your fault, If you cant get on in the UK its the UKs fault (allegedly)
  • When its cold in the Uk its Miserable and cold, Aus'- Fresh and crisp
  • When you are paying through to much at Coles its not getting ripped of, no in fact its great that you have to shop around.

Love it or leave...

oh, you did.. Good on ya :wubclub:

aussie aussie aussie!!!:biglaugh:

Jackie, you are obviously a new "went home and lovin' it" pio member, as a veteran I feel its my duty to take you under my wing and put you straight on a few things, such as:

• Chavs in the UK are evil, Aussie bogans are salt of the earth who help old ladies across the road.

• In the UK if the checkout girl doesn't talk to you its because she is rude and surly, in aus its your fault to not trying hard enough.

• If you cant be happy in Aus its your fault, If you cant get on in the UK its the UKs fault (allegedly)

• When you are paying through to much at Coles its not getting ripped of, no in fact its great that you have to shop around.

Love it or leave...

oi oi oi , Aldo you are a VERY NAUGHTY BOY !

Guest jackie Macdonald

Love it or leave...

What would I do without you.... you cheer me up everytime matey!!

Jackie xxx

Love it or leave...

True in every sense of the word.

You forgot when they watch a "Crazy,mental game of fisticuffs"Footy",i.e.the state of origin. They really mean a game of passing the egg shaped ball about,"but stop if someone gets hurt".

I've seen more fists flying in a game of amateur football in Paisley!!!

Love it or leave...

aussie aussie aussie!!!

OR.........

Don't worry if you're stuck in traffic on the overcrowded motorways.......you're only ever 2 minutes from a gorgeous picture postcard village.

Don't worry about chavs.......you'll obviously be living in a 'nice' area and you'll never see any.

Your children will be going to a 'good' school...........our education is the best in the world, and chav kids never go to school anyway.

You're always only an hour away from Europe.......is practically free to get to and you'll have loads more holiday time to go there because we work less here.

You'll have tons more 'choice' for shopping........every high street and town/city centre is full of independent shops.

The weather is absolutely fine.........Brits just like to moan about it for the sake of it.

It's never damp in UK.....only frosty and crisp.

British culture is fantastic......most people visit museums and art galleries or study history.

You won't need to go to any specialist shops.....Tesco deliver sausages....which are obviously excellent quality.

What a fun game!!:idea:

OR.........

Don't worry if you're stuck in traffic on the overcrowded motorways.......you're only ever 2 minutes from a gorgeous picture postcard village.

Don't worry about chavs.......you'll obviously be living in a 'nice' area and you'll never see any.

Your children will be going to a 'good' school...........our education is the best in the world, and chav kids never go to school anyway.

You're always only an hour away from Europe.......is practically free to get to and you'll have loads more holiday time to go there because we work less here.

You'll have tons more 'choice' for shopping........every high street and town/city centre is full of independent shops.

The weather is absolutely fine.........Brits just like to moan about it for the sake of it.

It's never damp in UK.....only frosty and crisp.

British culture is fantastic......most people visit museums and art galleries or study history.

You won't need to go to any specialist shops.....Tesco deliver sausages....which are obviously excellent quality.

What a fun game!!:idea:

Brilliant .......my thoughts exactly , its catching on !

I'm a naturally positive person.:tongue:

GREAT Britain is the BEST country in the world..............why on earth did you bother emigrating in the first place?????:laugh:

Great Britain isnt a country .......but we wont labour that one .

Where did i say ,it was the " best country in the world"

Guest June Pixie

WEATHER UPDATE:: NEWCASTLE UK::

Last few days - RAIN 13oC high

Weather has been a bit rubbish for the past few days - drizzle and tupperware coloured skies - Anyone who has taken time off work to spend the last few days of the summer hols with their kids will be about suicidal now. BUT..

As of 3pm Saturday 5th - SUN, a pleasant 17oC, only cooled slightly by a brisk westerly wind

Make the most of this and mow the overgrown and slightly soggy grass and sit back with a cuppa to enjoy the evening sun. THEN..

Sunday & week ahead - Go crazy with temps reaching the dizzy heights of 19oC through the week - Slight chance of showers (every day) but some nice yellow suns on the chart - Luverly xx

Archived