Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Guest SO,DIZZY
We live in north Edinburgh, quite close to the sea. When we first came back the first weinter came and went - half an inch of snowfall all winter and even that didn't even see out 24 hours. Quite disappointing. The second winter was the same - and then one day we went 10 miles inland and up the hill. WHAT a contrast. It looked like Canada! There was half a foot of snow, barely outside Edinburgh's city limits.

Right now, it's the middle of the night and 18C inside. Average temperatures are a bit misleading. We've got a met office station just up the road from us at the Botanics, and their average was around 18C in the daytime (one day of nearly 30C - not to my taste :-) and around 10-11c at night. That's for July.

Yes, minus temperatures in winter in Britain seem to be something that happens at 2am or half way up Ben Nevis. Overall though, I would say the weather here is invigorating, whereas I found the heat in Australia, especially in Melbourne, really sapped my energy.

im not sure what Edinburgh you are talking about?? as i live on the west coast of scotland i can only talk about our local weather, but most of scotland is the same most of the time if we get wet weather in the morning the east coast gets it in the afternoon and it has been raining here constantly for as long as i can remember.. infact it has rained so hard in the last week that roads in Aberdeen and loch lomand have been washed in to rivers.. the weather in scotland is ****e.. the summers are a wash out and although it may be warmer in winter by a few degrees the summers are far colder, wet and miserable there is no way of planning an out door life in relation to the weather here.. you cant rely on sunshine in the summer any more, mabey a few sporadic days here and there.. chances are it will be raining even if they say it will be sunny so if you are coming back to scotland for a moderate climate id cross that reason of your list.. global warming is turning scotland in to a giant puddle... oh and for people who wonder why some living in the uk are so obsessed about the weather spare a thought for those in the building trade that rely on dry weather to make a living not forgetting those in the other industries who work outside.. hmm not sure it would suit everyone out in the pissing rain every day working.. and also the people who in recent years have been the victims of flooding and lost there homes etc even in the summer months.. I hope this gives food for thought to the people who think moaning about the weather is just another pommy winge when in reality the weather can be a whole lot more important to some than others...

regards dizz..:laugh:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sooveroz
im not sure what Edinburgh you are talking about?? as i live on the west coast of scotland i can only talk about our local weather, but most of scotland is the same most of the time if we get wet weather in the morning the east coast gets it in the afternoon and it has been raining here constantly for as long as i can remember.. infact it has rained so hard in the last week that roads in Aberdeen and loch lomand have been washed in to rivers.. the weather in scotland is ****e.. the summers are a wash out and although it may be warmer in winter by a few degrees the summers are far colder, wet and miserable there is no way of planning an out door life in relation to the weather here.. you cant rely on sunshine in the summer any more, mabey a few sporadic days here and there.. chances are it will be raining even if they say it will be sunny so if you are coming back to scotland for a moderate climate id cross that reason of your list.. global warming is turning scotland in to a giant puddle... oh and for people who wonder why some living in the uk are so obsessed about the weather spare a thought for those in the building trade that rely on dry weather to make a living not forgetting those in the other industries who work outside.. hmm not sure it would suit everyone out in the pissing rain every day working.. and also the people who in recent years have been the victims of flooding and lost there homes etc even in the summer months.. I hope this gives food for thought to the people who think moaning about the weather is just another pommy winge when in reality the weather can be a whole lot more important to some than others...

I'm from the west coast of scotland too (Ayrshire) so I know where you are coming from - it was one of the reasons we left to go to australia. however now that we've lived here i can honestly say the weather here is just as restrictive and i never thought i would say that!

its often very windy in perth which makes the beach a no-go area and one of the best things about perth is the lovely beaches. last xmas day was a wash out at the beach because it was too windy. the intense heat keeps you indoors in summer- you can really only be in the sun for about 40 minutes max during the day. half the folk at my work are walking about with chunks cut out their ears, nose, hands etc because of skin cancer - many people even drive wearing gloves to keep the sun from radiating through the glass. and the cancer-causing petro-chemicals in sunscreen are just as scary. i fear for my children's health if they were to be raised in such a hot place. one of the things that surprised me was the lack of covered places at the beach for a city built on the sea. in summer you cant really go for a day out - only an hour or so then its under cover before a quick 5 minute walk before the mozzies eat you alive.

the mozzies keep you in as soon as dusk falls, which will now be around 7 -730pm in the height of summer since daylight saving has been rejected. the flies during the day are unbearable in late spring/early summer ie the time when the weather would be "just right" - i had to take the kids to school in the car it was that bad and we lived literally round the corner. they call it the ozzie wave - you have to costantly wave your hands around as you walk to keep the flies off and you cant talk as you walk as they fly in your mouth. and up your nose. we couldnt eat outdoors or sit out in the evenings for large parts of the year. there is torrential rain and storms in winter. I can honestly say i spent more time in my back garden in glasgow than i did here.

and ok they dont get too many floods here in perth - although they do over east- but lets not forget the homes destroyed every year by forest fires caused by the intense weather and the idiots who think it's fun to set fire to the scorched plantation.

i mistakenly thought i "loved the heat" before i came here - how wrong was I!!!

Guest flipflop

Is it really yhay bad in Scotland :dull: why not move to the South where the weather aint that bad.

Guest flipflop
Young Bunbury...why do you say the UK is better for your children - there's so many people who would return to the UK but stay in Oz 'for the kids';.....do tell. We think there's a lot of opportunities in the UK but have been shocked by the amounts of regular boozing and smoking by (underage) teens, not to mention the violence and mouthiness.

Kids in both Countries booze to much and cause trouble, I certainly did as a kid in oz, it's life.

Scotland is beautiful and has many lovely places etc and I am very proud to be scottish, BUT the weather is shocking and since this plays such a bit part in how you feel and in what you can do in your leisure time it does make you feel rather grumpy!!

Emma

x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie
Scotland is beautiful and has many lovely places etc and I am very proud to be scottish, BUT the weather is shocking and since this plays such a bit part in how you feel and in what you can do in your leisure time it does make you feel rather grumpy!!

Emma

x

Emma your right , Scotland is absolutely beautiful, I lived on the borders and enjoyed every minute, the weather there was actually ok (Solway Firth had a habit of warming things up a tad). Had I known though that Edinburgh had this fantastic heat band surrounding it with fantastic National Health care I would have seriously thought about staying in Scotland:wubclub:

• 3 years later...

We were very settled too and found the pull of home too much. It was very soon after we arrived back in uk that I could see it was a mistake. I jus got too accustomed to Oz relaxed way if life, dressing down to go out, being positive about things, the weather of course pals a big part. Little did I think I would become Australian.

We were very settled too and found the pull of home too much. It was very soon after we arrived back in uk that I could see it was a mistake. I jus got too accustomed to Oz relaxed way if life, dressing down to go out, being positive about things, the weather of course pals a big part. Little did I think I would become Australian.

Hi Jase,

This thread is from 2009 (although I'm sure the sentiments expressed in the OP are still relevent for a lot of people). However, due to the thread being so old and to avoid people replying or asking question of members who no longer post I'll close this thread.

Archived