Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Why is being an immigrant from England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland any different? Is it the white skin and speaking English? Go to Coogee or Manly - it's predominantly British migrants living there now - what happened to all of the Australians living there previously as each house for sale was bought up by a Brit? Or even further back, the Aborigines living there before the arrival of the First Fleet? Immigration is what has made Australia the nation that it is today and all of the different nationalities and foods etc add to the appeal IMHO. We will be/are/were all migrants to Oz and shouldn't begrudge others the same.

We are all the same! we are all boat people....... wether it be a raft, tall ship, junk, the Queen Mary or a plane.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Why is being an immigrant from England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland any different? Is it the white skin and speaking English? Go to Coogee or Manly - it's predominantly British migrants living there now - what happened to all of the Australians living there previously as each house for sale was bought up by a Brit? Or even further back, the Aborigines living there before the arrival of the First Fleet? Immigration is what has made Australia the nation that it is today and all of the different nationalities and foods etc add to the appeal IMHO. We will be/are/were all migrants to Oz and shouldn't begrudge others the same.

And despite the fact that there are "ethnic areas" which many complain about, eventually, through the generations, it is likely (should that read hopefully?) that their kids and their kids kids, will "evolve" away from those areas and be fully assimilated as true blue Aussies.

kev

I appreciate your view of course - but a lot of the children in the street where I live are told not to play with the white children because they consider them to be beneath them..... I didn't have the attitude I have today if it wasn't for many negative experiences I've had living here surrounded by these people -

Examples - the guy next door even took down my side fence and built a fence over the easement which gained him around 4 inches of land, total madness - he alsothreatened to kill my cat or dog if they got into his back yard and has abused me and intimidated me about overhanging branches from a shade tree I planted in my garden.... during an attempt on my part to be neighbourly to this guy (Fijian Indian) not long after he'd moved in his sister openly told me whilst sneering and laughing "you can never trust a Fijian Indian" - I think it was said to intimidate me as I am a woman who has bought her own house.

I could go on but I guess you have to be on the receiving end of this sort of stuff before you can totally appreciate my change of heart on the immigration/multi cultural issue. I don't think they get it that it works both ways and white aussies are always afraid of being taken for 'racial discrimination' - lady I knew had an issue with a muslim woman openly calling her daughter a prostitute during a parents evening because her school uniform consisted of a short skirt - when this friend of mine retaliated (obviously) there was hell to play - and my friend was told that she would have been in real trouble had she not been Macedonian - say if she was of a British background!!!

Guest Tracy1

Because we (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Dutch, Swedish etc etc do not emigrate (or illegally enter) a country and start demanding benefits, housing etc or complain or take offence to said country's beliefs, religion, holidays and when the said country's 'own people' dare to speak up the race card gets pulled! When I go to Europe for a holiday I do not complain about their national holidays or religous festivals or expect to sit on a different table because I do not eat what they eat and take offence to them eating it. If I were to move to another country I would either send my kids to a private English speaking school or send them to the local school and expect them to learn the language I wouldnt expect the school to start celebrating St. Georges day and all the local kids in the class to learn the alphabet in English as my kids were made to learn it in Urdu. I love foreign food but just because i choose not to eat goat I wouldnt kick up a fuss and take my case to the European Court of Human Rights to try and stop others eating it just because I think its disgusting.

You say "Immigration is what has made Australia the nation it is today" but when I land in Australia can I immediately claim benefits, have an operation, be given a house and a car, march on parliament waving banners saying the Australian troops are murderers and should be beheaded, walk along the street spitting on the ground and have anyone that dared to challenge me arrested and will the local school immediately change their curriculum and conform to my kids religion and beliefs throwing out all that they believed in in the past.

Immigration is what has made England the country it is today!

Guest themussonsUK
Because we (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Dutch, Swedish etc etc do not emigrate (or illegally enter) a country and start demanding benefits, housing etc or complain or take offence to said country's beliefs, religion, holidays and when the said country's 'own people' dare to speak up the race card gets pulled! When I go to Europe for a holiday I do not complain about their national holidays or religous festivals or expect to sit on a different table because I do not eat what they eat and take offence to them eating it. If I were to move to another country I would either send my kids to a private English speaking school or send them to the local school and expect them to learn the language I wouldnt expect the school to start celebrating St. Georges day and all the local kids in the class to learn the alphabet in English as my kids were made to learn it in Urdu. I love foreign food but just because i choose not to eat goat I wouldnt kick up a fuss and take my case to the European Court of Human Rights to try and stop others eating it just because I think its disgusting.

You say "Immigration is what has made Australia the nation it is today" but when I land in Australia can I immediately claim benefits, have an operation, be given a house and a car, march on parliament waving banners saying the Australian troops are murderers and should be beheaded, walk along the street spitting on the ground and have anyone that dared to challenge me arrested and will the local school immediately change their curriculum and conform to my kids religion and beliefs throwing out all that they believed in in the past.

Spot on TracyShepherd....couldn't have said it better myself. Be careful though my friend....I have posted a thread in Dilemmas re 'Should we stay or should we go' & got some people going with my also 'honest' account of the UK today and my concerns. Was pretty much branded 'racist' by some for my comments....which lets face it is typical of Britain today....soon as you WANT or NEED to use OUR freedom of speech...you get blasted down. Good on you for being honest with your opinions!

Because we (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Dutch, Swedish etc etc do not emigrate (or illegally enter) a country and start demanding benefits, housing etc or complain or take offence to said country's beliefs, religion, holidays and when the said country's 'own people' dare to speak up the race card gets pulled! When I go to Europe for a holiday I do not complain about their national holidays or religous festivals or expect to sit on a different table because I do not eat what they eat

Hmmm LOL, heard the saying Whinging POM????? (not directed at you BTW)

Read the posts and there are plenty of complaints about EVERYTHING Australia has to offer. There is always someone that is un-happy about something...........

As to taking offence need anymore be said about the word P.O.M and the reactions just 1 word causes........

As for Europe, How many tourist areas in Europe are catering to the English cuisine rather than cooking their own dishes???

Fair play to you and others like you who like to try new cultures, but there is also far more that like to take a piece of Britain with them. Is that wrong??? The reason you don't notice is, Britain already has made its footprint while others are catching up.

Guest guest21235

ROFL! What an load of old tosh! Honey, didn't your parents teach you that places like the UK and Australia are DEMOCRACTIC countries meaning that every peron has a right to voice their opinions.

Listen, it's views like yours and that cretin Adolf Hitler that create hate in countries. You give us Brits a bad name! Stop judging a whole race/ nation on the actions of a few. Have you tried looking at the immigrants they let in? Did you know that over 40% of them are doctors, lawyers, teachers and many more that the country is crying out for or did you just 'forget' about them? Did you know the NHS very nearly collapsed nearly 20 years ago if it were not for Indian doctors and a major push to employ more nurses, or again did you forget about that? Lets not forget the many many more that are asylum seekers (maybe look that word up 'asylum' or do you want to forget the meaning of that too?). Take the good with the bad and whilst you're at it, learn the HISTORY of the UK more than 100 years back. I think you'll find that 'immigrants' DID insist we change our religion from Paganism to Christianity, i think you'll find that 'immigrants' DID insist that we change the language that we used, I think you'll find that 'immigrants' DID insist we change our whole social and political mentality - oh the irony!

We were built BY immigrants. It's maybe harder to accept because the change is synonymous with a physical change (i.e. there are a lot more colours floating around now) but essentially that is how it has always been.

Muscle up!

Guest guest21235
Spot on TracyShepherd....couldn't have said it better myself. Be careful though my friend....I have posted a thread in Dilemmas re 'Should we stay or should we go' & got some people going with my also 'honest' account of the UK today and my concerns. Was pretty much branded 'racist' by some for my comments....which lets face it is typical of Britain today....soon as you WANT or NEED to use OUR freedom of speech...you get blasted down. Good on you for being honest with your opinions!

As I said in the above, we are a democracy, we can all voice our opinions - believe or not but not everyone will agree BUT that hasn't stopped you from voicing your opinion in the first place. Your issue is with the reaction you get from others to your opinions, not the inability to express them.

I just happen not to agree with you and it's my perogative to voice that as is yours. But immigration IS what has made us what we are today. And what did history tell us that we did with our influences - we conquered the world. We only have to look at our language to reiterate that which is made up of different principles from 5 different countries. The English language dominates the internet by 70% - I'm not ashamed of that and the factors influencing it, and neither should you be.

Guest Aldo
immigration IS what has made us what we are today

That's right.

I'ts also the main reason so many people are leaving.

Guest guest21235
That's right.

Totally agree

Guest themussonsUK
As I said in the above, we are a democracy, we can all voice our opinions - believe or not but not everyone will agree BUT that hasn't stopped you from voicing your opinion in the first place. Your issue is with the reaction you get from others to your opinions, not the inability to express them.

I just happen not to agree with you and it's my perogative to voice that as is yours. But immigration IS what has made us what we are today. And what did history tell us that we did with our influences - we conquered the world. We only have to look at our language to reiterate that which is made up of different principles from 5 different countries. The English language dominates the internet by 70% - I'm not ashamed of that and the factors influencing it, and neither should you be.

Once again....someone else that has missed the point of this thread!!

Yes 'BRITAIN' IS a democracy and we can VOICE our opinions....thats not to say that they are being HEARD! As i have previously said we are handed the racist card on ANY opinion we might have, yet we see immigrants/foreigners that never had democracy in their own country literally getting away with murder. I am happy for people of any religion/colour/race to move to my country if their intentions are genuine. BUt if you don't think that our system is being severely exploited at the expense of the British people, then you are very naive my friend. Everybody wants to come here because of the 'benefits' and 'freebies'. Is this why immigrants came here 100 years ago?? NO! Irrespective of the UK's history.....this country has never been in such a state because of this reason. And IMHO - it will only get worse! If you choose to put your head in the sand and think otherwise, then naturally that IS your preogative.

Guest Tracy1
ROFL! What an load of old tosh! Honey

Exactly which part of my post is untrue and a 'load of old tosh' HONEY!

and by the way we are a multi-racial family:biglaugh:

Once again....someone else that has missed the point of this thread!!

Yes 'BRITAIN' IS a democracy and we can VOICE our opinions....thats not to say that they are being HEARD! As i have previously said we are handed the racist card on ANY opinion we might have, yet we see immigrants/foreigners that never had democracy in their own country literally getting away with murder. I am happy for people of any religion/colour/race to move to my country if their intentions are genuine. BUt if you don't think that our system is being severely exploited at the expense of the British people, then you are very naive my friend. Everybody wants to come here because of the 'benefits' and 'freebies'. Is this why immigrants came here 100 years ago?? NO! Irrespective of the UK's history.....this country has never been in such a state because of this reason. And IMHO - it will only get worse! If you choose to put your head in the sand and think otherwise, then naturally that IS your preogative.

If I understand your posts correctly, your main concern is the immigration policy. In that case, your only choice is to vote for the party which mirrors your own views, and/or become politically active within that party.

As far as the nativity play at school goes, I'm presuming this is a local policy because at my son's school they do a xmas play which does contain the Christian story. They go to a church once a year, have a religious assembly at easter and harvest festival as well.

They also do divalli, in fact he's done it in pre-school, reception and year 1!!! There are maybe 2 Hindus in the school of 200 kids, not sure if there are any Jews, but they don't do anything Jewish, and I think maybe 2 or 3 Muslims and they don't do anything from Islam.The divalli story is on the National Curriculum and that's why the school do it.

You need to directly ask the school their policy and double check with the Local Education Authority. Maybe the school have a choice and you could change it?? I'm guessing that if you got 'parent power' behind you that things could change.

Don't just accept things the way they are and complain - ask questions, make things official.

Try and change it to make it fairer.

All the best.

Sue x

Guest Tracy1
Your issue is with the reaction you get from others to your opinions, not the inability to express them.

I just happen not to agree with you.

But immigration IS what has made us what we are today. .

I dont have an issue I was voicing my opinion!

You just happen not to agree with me so my opinion gets called a load of old tosh!

Yes Immigration IS whats has made us what we are today! and its also made the United Kingdom what it is today!

Guest Tracy1
That's right.

Yes and its also the main reason so many people are arriving!!

Lets pretend I've sold my house, car and all my possessions and gave up my job and moved with my kids to Australia. Ive spent all my house sale money on rent and 2 years down the line we all hate Oz and want to come back to the UK.

When I land in the UK will I be given a nice 2/3/4 bedroom council house, money to buy myself a car with and as many benefits as I can be bothered to fill in the forms and claim for and also.....lets pretend that one of my kids has stayed in Oz.....will I be given money to keep him whilst he is out in Oz??

Of course I wont! :arghh:

Hi All

My story of what finally pushed me to do my points check for a visa started about two years ago when the daughter of the muslim family round the corner stole from my daughter at school, they would have been six at the time and it was part of her school uniform which we had just bought.

Well what can you do? I just thought that maybe she lost it and it would be handed in, little bit cross because items were new and can't go accusing people. A few weeks later same girl is band from local shop for shoplifting and as I'm tucking my daughter in bed one night out of the blue she says so and so was wearing her cardigain at school today.

Went round there next day just to see if we could get to bottom of this.. Got aload abuse and threats off the mother so walked away thinking just not worth. Next morning outside school same woman shouts and screams in my wife face in front of all the other parants and children how I'm f***ing dead and if I go near them they would get me???? What upset me most was not this woman was the fact that no one did anything there were fathers taking their children to school a none of them said nothing! This happen in front of my daughter and the school said they could not do anything about it because it was not on school premises Wife did not want to ring police. Went to see father later but can't be bother any more. May post later on.

Yes and its also the main reason so many people are arriving!!

Lets pretend I've sold my house, car and all my possessions and gave up my job and moved with my kids to Australia. Ive spent all my house sale money on rent and 2 years down the line we all hate Oz and want to come back to the UK.

When I land in the UK will I be given a nice 2/3/4 bedroom council house, money to buy myself a car with and as many benefits as I can be bothered to fill in the forms and claim for and also.....lets pretend that one of my kids has stayed in Oz.....will I be given money to keep him whilst he is out in Oz??

Of course I wont! :arghh:

Essex ****wit love it here in australia all the indians and pakistanis , africans , chinese ,vietnamese , forget about the europeanns , you can have a good go. Can you give us facts and proof of these benefits I can get in the uk bacause if it is true I will go and get them, **** working here . William Joyce would have taken his hat off to the guys spieling this and all you suckin it in FFS

Guest themussonsUK

Don't just accept things the way they are and complain - ask questions, make things official.

Sue x

I and other parents have complained to the school re nativity play. We were told that it is in a better interest to have an xmas concert. When we asked in a better interest for whom exactly.....we were told society in general!

We live in the countryside!!

Guest Tracy1
Essex ****wit love it here in australia all the indians and pakistanis , africans , chinese ,vietnamese , forget about the europeanns , you can have a good go. Can you give us facts and proof of these benefits I can get in the uk bacause if it is true I will go and get them, **** working here . William Joyce would have taken his hat off to the guys spieling this and all you suckin it in FFS

I refuse to drop to your level and engage in a nasty name calling slanging match with you. Of course I dont have proof of all the benefits the immigrants and assylum seekers are getting I AM NOT ENTITLED TO THEM MYSELF however if you care to visit the ferry port of Calais they will tell you exactly what they are entitled to in the UK and also what they receive for family members outside the UK which is why they are risking their lives to get here!

PS dont quite understand the 'ESSEX ****wit part of your post....would you care to explain?

I and other parents have complained to the school re nativity play. We were told that it is in a better interest to have an xmas concert. When we asked in a better interest for whom exactly.....we were told society in general!

We live in the countryside!!

Yeah, bit of a lame reply!

Again, I'd check what the LEA policy is and challenge the school. Say we've had X number of years without a nativity play, we have X number of Christians at the school, it's about time for a nativity play!!

Get a poll/petition from the parents,(talk to the govorners/PTA) get the school to make a formal statement and take it from there.

Good luck.

Sue x

I can. The family I mention have just had a two storey exstension put on the back of their house the front garden made into a drive, new people carrier parked on it all done by the council, because one of their children is handicapped. He delivers pizza she knocks out the kids more benefit you see clever. Oh and last week she attacked a mother at the school who was holding her baby knocking them to the ground because she had asked for her sons stuff back off the daughter. Thinks shes getting done for it.

This just one case of scrounging around here. I think its just us and a few neighbours not doing it!

Anyway who whats to by a house. Nice area you just have to take your chance at the school gates.

I refuse to drop to your level and engage in a nasty name calling slanging match with you. Of course I dont have proof of all the benefits the immigrants and assylum seekers are getting I AM NOT ENTITLED TO THEM MYSELF however if you care to visit the ferry port of Calais they will tell you exactly what they are entitled to in the UK and also what they receive for family members outside the UK which is why they are risking their lives to get here!

PS dont quite understand the 'ESSEX ****wit part of your post....would you care to explain?

Think he's drunk! Ignore him

Guest Tracy1
Yeah, bit of a lame reply!

Again, I'd check what the LEA policy is and challenge the school. Say we've had X number of years without a nativity play, we have X number of Christians at the school, it's about time for a nativity play!!

Get a poll/petition from the parents,(talk to the govorners/PTA) get the school to make a formal statement and take it from there.

Good luck.

Sue x

Yes start the ball rolling now because you wont get very far before youre accused and/or arrested for being racist?:no:

Yes start the ball rolling now because you wont get very far before youre accused and/or arrested for being racist?:no:

It's not about being racist. It's about balance.

You don't have to take that attitude to it all, be professional and calm, but persistant, get the absolute legal obligation of the school and challenge it with support from parents, teachers, govorners, pupils.

If the school is connected with a church talk to them too.

If you don't get any support from any of them, then it must mean you're an extremist!!!!:biglaugh: (sorry just had to make a joke!!!)

Good luck.

Sue x

Guest Tracy1
It's not about being racist. It's about balance.

You don't have to take that attitude to it all, be professional and calm, but persistant, get the absolute legal obligation of the school and challenge it with support from parents, teachers, govorners, pupils.

If the school is connected with a church talk to them too.

If you don't get any support from any of them, then it must mean you're an extremist!!!!:biglaugh: (sorry just had to make a joke!!!)

Good luck.

Sue x

No Im sorry I think youre wrong I dont think you have any experience of what is happening in our schools (IMO mainly secondary schools) but if you do then I apologise and have misunderstood your posts.

I and three other parents had to take our kids out of school for a week because of the unfairness of the system with regards to race/creed/colour/religion whatever you want to call it. Our kids were being bullied (and I mean bullied in a big way) but when they retaliated (and it was proven that they did not start or initiate any of the arguments/fights etc) the race card was waived and they were suspended for 2 days. Nothing, and I mean nothing happened to the 'other' kids that started it all. They were not suspended or even punished, I doubt that their parents were even told. I had to try and explain to my son that he just had to accept what had happened/was happening to him and that the unfairness of it was 'just life' and that he had to ignore it and get over it even though I didnt agree with one word that I was saying to him. The teachers admit they are fed up with it but theres nothing they can do and the mentors/TA's try to encourage the kids 'to keep their mouths shut and not answer back for fear of being punished/suspended' again.

I am not racist I never have been Im just fed up with what is happening every day in the UK and Im fed up watching such a beautiful country going down the toilet.

If the UK is so wonderful and full of happiness why are so many people (mainly those that have been here 20 years or more) getting out??

Archived