Regret returning to the UK?

Guest boomerangpommie

Guest theundecided
Hi boomerangpommie

I think you could possibly agree with your partner to go and live there for 1 year only. With the understanding that if you or the children were not happy after that then you would return to the uk. When the pressure to live there permanently is off, then you might enjoy it and not want to return. The feeling of isolation when you emigrate is terrible but when you are given the choice of staying or going back, that isolation starts to slowly go because you don't feel trapped.

lee

Hi lee we moved there in 2005 in Noosa that was too busy an touristy 4 us ..so back in Uk .

i am a plumber and since we ve been back we are debating if to come back to Brissy but in the cleveland area ... we have 3 young kids ..do you know if that is a good area to live in and have you got any idea if there is still plenty of work for someone like me ?

thanks ...matt

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest treesea
Hiya to all who want to meet up. Can I come!!!

We lived in Mornington for 6years but last april returned to uk with work. I have been having a great time kids are now settled in school and are about to return to oz end of March!!! so I know how you feel' date=' allmy family are here so it will be hard its like leaving all over again with all the emotions attached. i should actually be sorting the house out now and handing in notice etc.. but instead i am burying my head in the sand hoping it will go away!! I miss Australia but i love it here . One thing i have noticed over here and I am talking about MY opinion (please dont shout at me for this!!!), is that there is more agression particulary in children. This i have only really just picked up because i think i was living in a bit of a bubble happy at seeing all my family and friends so that is a cause of concern for me. I have three children aged 11,9 and 4 and whilst i love this country it does concern me.[/quote']

I can relate to this. I came back five years ago, with my Australian born children. Last week, my daughter told me that there were three fights at her high school, all between girls. And arranged, as in they had made appointments as to when they would have their fights. I couldn't get my head around it - it's like the knights of old having their duels. It's a good school, in a good part of Edinburgh. Apparently, I now discover, this is "par for the course".

Guest themussonsUK

HI,

Having just read your post it has thrown all my fears back into the light, which I have been desperately trying to put to the back of my mind!! We haven't even started the process of moving to Oz yet although we are looking at the moment into AMQ III for my OH. But thats about as far as we've got! And we've been pondering this move for years!!!

All of my family are here in the UK and with 4 kids, 2 of which are a tender age to be 'saying goodbye' (7 and 12 - other 2 are little) I can understand your dilemma.

My OH was adopted here in the UK when he was 2 years old. His birth mother, half sisters and brother live in Perth and we have been in contact with them for the last couple of years. Naturally my OH wants to get to know his real family as he doesnt have a relationship with the adopted ones anymore. This is impossible via telephone and emails and as we have often dreamt of living in a 'better place' it seems the right thing to do in emmigrating. OH is so adaptable, could live anywhere and it wouldnt bother him, but I on the other hand have always had good relations with my family and friends and am a little concerned we don't even really know his family !!

I guess I am relying on them to help us settle ... but it has made me realise that, yes their help would be great but we need to rely on ourselves to do this. I've made my mind up on the assumption that it 'must be a better life for our kids and their future' ignoring my selfish feelings re my family. Does anyone disagree with this?

Wherever you move to has its 'teething problems' doesnt it?

COnfused again!!!:wacko:

Would be great to hear how you get on though so please keep us posted - GOod luck x

HI,

Having just read your post it has thrown all my fears back into the light, which I have been desperately trying to put to the back of my mind!! We haven't even started the process of moving to Oz yet although we are looking at the moment into AMQ III for my OH. But thats about as far as we've got! And we've been pondering this move for years!!!

All of my family are here in the UK and with 4 kids, 2 of which are a tender age to be 'saying goodbye' (7 and 12 - other 2 are little) I can understand your dilemma.

My OH was adopted here in the UK when he was 2 years old. His birth mother, half sisters and brother live in Perth and we have been in contact with them for the last couple of years. Naturally my OH wants to get to know his real family as he doesnt have a relationship with the adopted ones anymore. This is impossible via telephone and emails and as we have often dreamt of living in a 'better place' it seems the right thing to do in emmigrating. OH is so adaptable, could live anywhere and it wouldnt bother him, but I on the other hand have always had good relations with my family and friends and am a little concerned we don't even really know his family !!

I guess I am relying on them to help us settle ... but it has made me realise that, yes their help would be great but we need to rely on ourselves to do this. I've made my mind up on the assumption that it 'must be a better life for our kids and their future' ignoring my selfish feelings re my family. Does anyone disagree with this?

Would be great to hear how you get on though so please keep us posted - GOod luck x

I came here in 1986 when I was 17 and have always wanted to move back home for various reasons have not I now have 2 kids aged 9 and 11 and divorced from their father...I honestly believe ( and it is just my opinion) that it is really hard to settle here...I have tried and tried and tried but its not to be and in 2012 I am bringing the kids for a 6month holiday to see what they think...I dont want to force them into doing something they don't want like I was made to do....its so difficult but I believe that the kids in Uk have far more opportunities than out here but again thats just my opinion !!! Good lick xx:arghh:

Guest themussonsUK

Have you been back here since 1986? Things are very different to what they were then. I guess everywhere has its good and bad....but I'll never know if I don't go!! Good luck with everything x

Guest follyview

Hi just read your post so sorry to here that things went wrong....My family and I are emigrating on the 17th june to perth hopefully all goes well my children are 17 and 14 and excited. perhaps in life you have to explore before you realise whats lies ahead.Good luck in all you do be happy we only live once. jenny xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest sooveroz
HI,

poor you - I don't envy your position and can see why you feel confused. I think you have made a very important point - that you will not be able to rely on anyone to help you settle - although good friends/family would help.

we are returning to UK after 3 years main thing being unable to really feel settled and the feeling of not belonging. missing F+F and generally uk life too much. I think perth is great for younger children (other than the massive sun exposure and the constant wearing of suncream as I dont like them absorbing all those chemicals for years and years if they live there long term) but I dont really think it offers much to older kids unless they are sport mad which mine are not.

I can see why your OH would like to give it a try though and although I obviously dont know you/him/the family, i would be concerned that the reality was not as good as the dream - this would be the case with any reuniting of adopted kids/parents not just going to oz.

do you think it might help/work to go for say a year as a "trail run"? your family might not feel so bad about that and then if you did stay, it would be because you wanted to rather than had to. Other problem might be if one likes it and the other one wants to go back - we are lucky as we both want to go back. its not easy though and I wish you luck with it.:hug:

Guest LondonGal

I think perth is great for younger children (other than the massive sun exposure and the constant wearing of suncream as I dont like them absorbing all those chemicals for years and years if they live there long term) but I dont really think it offers much to older kids unless they are sport mad which mine are not.

:yes:Spot on description of Perth.

Guest themussonsUK

Thank you! Yes I agree with you totally re trial run...unfortunately my OH thinks he will never want to come back, which to be honest has thrown more doubt on whether to go at all now for me. He is very anti-uk at the mo due to where he works and I do believe he wouldn't come back from Oz even if I did!! My oldest being 12 likes sport but hasn't got the most athletic build and although enjoys it...he doesn't love it-if you get my drift! The others are 7, 2 and nearly 1 and I am very conscious of the weather there and the constant suncream applying or just staying indoors a lot, which Ive heard many people do. It's made me question the 'lifestyle' somewhat as lets face it when the weathers 'bad' here we tend to stay in doors as well....so whats the difference??!!! To be honest my feelings on this keep swaying back and forth ...his family in Oz are so excited about the prospect of us moving there and bending over backwards with info for us. But this is their long lost son/brother/uncle etc and I know this sounds very selfish but I think its possible I will feel very vulnerable at times if we were there and had a row with each other for example. Here if I have F&F around that I have great relations with and you know how it is after a row...good chat with the friend or sister always makes you feel better...but then I guess I can still do that over email or phone when we are there.

I'm evn more confused now than when we started all of this...(this week alone, I have more spots on my face than I have in about 15 years!!LOL) I think you staying there for 3 years to give it a go is fantastic...at least you will never have to wonder 'what if'. You did it...it didnt work for you...and your marriage is still intact!!! Im not sure I have that confidence...should that speak volumes on its own?

When are you planning to return here? Or are you already back? x

Guest themussonsUK
poor you - I don't envy your position and can see why you feel confused. I think you have made a very important point - that you will not be able to rely on anyone to help you settle - although good friends/family would help.

we are returning to UK after 3 years main thing being unable to really feel settled and the feeling of not belonging. missing F+F and generally uk life too much. I think perth is great for younger children (other than the massive sun exposure and the constant wearing of suncream as I dont like them absorbing all those chemicals for years and years if they live there long term) but I dont really think it offers much to older kids unless they are sport mad which mine are not.

I can see why your OH would like to give it a try though and although I obviously dont know you/him/the family, i would be concerned that the reality was not as good as the dream - this would be the case with any reuniting of adopted kids/parents not just going to oz.

do you think it might help/work to go for say a year as a "trail run"? your family might not feel so bad about that and then if you did stay, it would be because you wanted to rather than had to. Other problem might be if one likes it and the other one wants to go back - we are lucky as we both want to go back. its not easy though and I wish you luck with it.:hug:

Sorry still getting used to using this site!! Should of included this in my reply. x

Guest dazla
Thank you! Yes I agree with you totally re trial run...unfortunately my OH thinks he will never want to come back, which to be honest has thrown more doubt on whether to go at all now for me. He is very anti-uk at the mo due to where he works and I do believe he wouldn't come back from Oz even if I did!! My oldest being 12 likes sport but hasn't got the most athletic build and although enjoys it...he doesn't love it-if you get my drift! The others are 7, 2 and nearly 1 and I am very conscious of the weather there and the constant suncream applying or just staying indoors a lot, which Ive heard many people do. It's made me question the 'lifestyle' somewhat as lets face it when the weathers 'bad' here we tend to stay in doors as well....so whats the difference??!!! To be honest my feelings on this keep swaying back and forth ...his family in Oz are so excited about the prospect of us moving there and bending over backwards with info for us. But this is their long lost son/brother/uncle etc and I know this sounds very selfish but I think its possible I will feel very vulnerable at times if we were there and had a row with each other for example. Here if I have F&F around that I have great relations with and you know how it is after a row...good chat with the friend or sister always makes you feel better...but then I guess I can still do that over email or phone when we are there.

I'm evn more confused now than when we started all of this...(this week alone, I have more spots on my face than I have in about 15 years!!LOL) I think you staying there for 3 years to give it a go is fantastic...at least you will never have to wonder 'what if'. You did it...it didnt work for you...and your marriage is still intact!!! Im not sure I have that confidence...should that speak volumes on its own?

When are you planning to return here? Or are you already back? x

Hi

I arrived in OZ four months ago, and am currently very depressed and want to return home. I currenlty don't have enough money to return, as I have to pay my company back for the re-location costs if I leave within 12 monhs. What I would say to you is, if you do come, make sure you have enough money to return and you can easily pick up your old life back in the UK.

daz

Guest rosiejulia

Hi Daz!.............Chin up mate...things are never that bad! Are you out here on your own or with your family? It`s early days you know and four months in it is easy to feel `how am I going to stick this out`. This will come in waves Daz but once you get past the year mark (the homeward run I call it) the waves are not so harsh....the end is in sight if you know what I mean. It takes real courage to come out here in the first place...and when your here and realise it is nothing like you thought it would be ...it can be depressing. Cast the fact that you can`t afford to go home firmly out to the ocean...do things that make you feel good! Remind your self that you have done one of the hardest things in the world...and you will emerge stronger for the experience...and you can get through the tough bits....yes you can!!!! Good Luck

Guest boomerangpommie
Hi

What I would say to you is, if you do come, make sure you have enough money to return and you can easily pick up your old life back in the UK.

daz

I did return and picked up my old life in the UK really easily as I had not been away for too long. On the surface, everything seems pretty much like how it was before I left but it just doesn't 'feel' the same now and I have the discontentment I had when I originally wanted to go to Oz AND now even more, having been there and lived a different lifestyle. I haven't settled back into my old life, I'm just really p****d off with myself for coming back to this dump, when I had managed to get away!!!!:arghh:

Guest themussonsUK
Hi

I arrived in OZ four months ago, and am currently very depressed and want to return home. I currenlty don't have enough money to return, as I have to pay my company back for the re-location costs if I leave within 12 monhs. What I would say to you is, if you do come, make sure you have enough money to return and you can easily pick up your old life back in the UK.

daz

Hi Daz

Im so sorry to hear that...why are you depressed? Is it that bad? Where are you in OZ?

Our plan was to rent our hourse here out while we are away, so I have the safety in knowledge that I still have a 'home' to return to should things not work out. But you're right re money to get home...me and 4 kids return won't be cheap! Hope things get better for you.....

Guest MariAndyok

Do you know what an onomatopoeia is? I know you will. Well my daughter (yr 9) was the only person in the class, including her teacher, who knew what it meant. that's at Varsity College, supposidly a top school in Qld...you are probably over qualified for the job!:notworthy:

Hi earnie,

The problem with my qualification was my degree. I did a BSc in Human Communication which is basically linguistics and psychology. I then went on to do a PGCE in Secondary English. When assessed by NOOSR this was fine to get the PR visa. Despite 6 years of teaching secondary English, the NSW Ed Dept said that as my degree is not in English Literature or with a large part of English Lit in its content, they found me not qualified to teach English - they only look at qualifications not experience at all. So I am now going to do modules from the secong & third years of an English Lit degree to get this sorted.

I also found in Oz that it is very common for teachers to teach two subjects so jobs would be adveritsed (I was looking in private schools) for a teacher of English/History, English/Italian, English/Japanese etc so that didn't help either.

Guest rosiejulia
I did return and picked up my old life in the UK really easily as I had not been away for too long. On the surface, everything seems pretty much like how it was before I left but it just doesn't 'feel' the same now and I have the discontentment I had when I originally wanted to go to Oz AND now even more, having been there and lived a different lifestyle. I haven't settled back into my old life, I'm just really p****d off with myself for coming back to this dump, when I had managed to get away!!!!:arghh:

Hi there!....really curious to know where abouts in the UK you are ! As someone said earlier in this thread contentment is a state of mind. If you did`nt like oz before whats to say you will next time around. Home is where the heart is! Has it taken you to go home to appreciate OZ......but then whilst you were in Oz you appreciated home.......you are a real boomerang LOL:wacko:

Guest MariAndyok

Hi all,

I have read lots of posts here about returning to the UK, something we are doing after only 4 months. Both myself and my wife love it here on the Gold Coas, but are going back because of the job situation and the kids. The reason we're leaving was initially because we we struggling to secure interviews for jobs and my wife had been offered her old job back at York University.

My kids didn't moan about coming out and didn't moan when they were here, they are used to moving after 23 years in the Army. My son is 17 and we removed him from his 'A' Levels (he wanted to come...we didn't drag him away). after 3 months. we asked our son what he thought about going back and he was ecstatic, even though he had made some really nice friends here, our daughter was too, she has found settling in a little harder as she had such fantastic friends in UK. The joy in their eyes about going back to 'their' home town, York, (I know it's a city but has a town feel) made me realise that this was our dream and not theirs. We stopped looking for jobs out here and decided that we were going back. seeing her on Skype being a little girl with her friends, crying and laughing and doing silly things brings it home to you.

My wife and I decided that we can, and most probably will come back in 4.5 years just before our visa expires and try for citizenship. Our kids will be nearly 19 and 22. They can make their own minds up with what they want to do, and like wise can we when we are citizens. If they choose to stay in the UK, we'll probably go back again and return to retire maybe, or maybe Italy or Spain.

Quoll, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example, but but like you and others here, I could see my daughter always reminiscing about what could have been if she'd stayed, she too doesn't like the heat amongst other things.

I am glad we came, as my son, due to the number of subjects you can do out here has realised what he was doing for his 'A' Levels was wrong and has decided to change them completely when he gets back and has a focus for a subject at university. They both appreciate what 'true' friends are and how much they need and miss them. i appreciate how easy it is to get through £25,000 chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow.

I have susequently been offered a job back with the Army, initially in 'Bath', so my family will be in York and i will be in Bath (very cultural for me) flying/driving home at weekends and our plan is to come back to the beautiful Gold coast after the recession, but who knows what the future holds.

good luck to all both here and UK.

Andy:chatterbox:

I cannot belive how many Brits think that moving to Australia and thinking of living in the Gold Coast or any "Aussie holiday resort" expects - are you coming for a holiday or a real life.....!! Bet the Real Estate agents love you..... get real....... Sydney, Melbourne if you want to buy a house and start a live..THEN GOLD COAST ETC. FOR A HOLIDAY!!!

It depends where you live in the UK - I don't think its a dump at all have you ever lived in the Western Suburbs of Sydney?????

I lived in Liverpool western suburb of sydney for 13 years when I first came here but swiftly moved out of it when I had kids.....I lived in leeds in england some would say a dump....but the thing is if it is a dump it is my dump and I think thats the end of it it does not matter what somewhere looks like I turly believe that " home is where the heart is" and unfortunatley IN MY OPINION when you get below the surface australia does not have much of one SORRY!! and yes i am still here and yes I will be going home as soon as my lids are grown hopefully with me !!! x

Guest hymie

Hi, we moved out to Oz in 2001 from a lovely village in N.Yorks. Just before we moved we had the chance to buy the house we were in but couldn't manage it because of the time scale ( 8 weeks to buy , rent it out and move to Oz) so we went to Brisbane. Our first impressions when we arrived were what have we done. Coming from the airport it was hot ( and that was August). I will say it took a good 2 years not to regret the move. My husband was a bit disappointed in his job. It was not as high level as in UK, but gradually we made friends. The kiddies started schools and kindy and we had another 2 beautiful children there. We loved our time in Brisbane and could have stayed. The people were lovely especially towards the kiddies. The wildlife was exciting and exotic, the beaches were fantastic although I did find the bush land a bit boring. People were upbeat and friendly. Life was simple and easy and we fitted in but we rented a house and didn't quite put down roots so after 6 years so we returned in 2007. It was a big decision as we could so easily have stayed and we were quite happy there.

We now live in a rented house which is lovely in a village in the Cotswolds. Apart from my OH working in London 3 days a week life is good here. The kids are settled in school and my eldest will start secondary school next year (sept 210) however we miss things about Oz. Hubby not working away, easy going approach to life, what does the future hold for our kids after all this money being borrowed by the government. Short term it has been great here seeing family more regularly although we are not that close and having a cold Christmas. But we only live in a rented house so we would have to leave this village at some point in the future anyway.

My husband has now been offered a job in Canberra and we absolutely cannot decide what to do. Do we go back to Oz and see a different part of the country or do we stay here. We had thought if we went back we would return to Brisbane. We are worried if we turn the job down we will close the door on Oz but the thought of packing up in the next few weeks churns me up too. This time we would be moving for good so its a bigger decision than before.

I love life here at present but having taught in secondary school the kids here are more aggressive and disruptive in class and I don't want to short change our kids in the future. It would be much harder to get back to Oz under our own steam than through a company move. Does anyone live in Canberra who can let me know how they've found it ASAP as we have to decide in the next 2 days.

Thanks for your help if you can.:biggrin:

Guest boomerangpommie

You don't have to worry about selling a house, so that's one headache out of the way. Will the company offering your husband the job help with flights and relocation costs etc? If so (or maybe even if not) , you could use this as an opportunity to go back, experience a different place in Oz and see how you feel about being back there long term. This could be a bit of an adventure and if it doesn't work out, you could come back, you have done before so you know that it's not impossible or too scary.

If you're like me, you gonna be worrying about the disruption for the children but all that this means is that they're going to have a fantastic experience that many other kids never have and that can't be bad. I'm also concerned about the future, especially being a secondary teacher and seeing the way things are going - more like have gone - in school and society.

I've actually started to see a counsellor about this whole Australia mess, it really has been traumatic for me and I must say one thing that has really come out of it is that, I'm so caught up in the 'What if...' thing that I don't seem to be able to let go and just try something and enjoy and take a risk and see what happens. When I was in Oz, I was so frozen with uncertainty and doubt about our future there, our future we would have had here and if we had done the right thing moving there - esp for the kids - that I just could not relax and see what happened, I had to have water-tight guarantees for everything, which is impossible. I'm still like that with our plans we're making to go back, but am trying to change this. But maybe, you've just got to go for it and take that risk, see what happens and who knows, it will work out fine, you may love Canberra and you're sorted, maybe you'll end up finding your way back to Brizzie and you already know what's here and how life is here, so that's in the background!! And along the way, you will have an amazing experience!!!

Good luck and keep us posted with what happens!!!

Guest themussonsUK
Hi, we moved out to Oz in 2001 from a lovely village in N.Yorks. Just before we moved we had the chance to buy the house we were in but couldn't manage it because of the time scale ( 8 weeks to buy , rent it out and move to Oz) so we went to Brisbane. Our first impressions when we arrived were what have we done. Coming from the airport it was hot ( and that was August). I will say it took a good 2 years not to regret the move. My husband was a bit disappointed in his job. It was not as high level as in UK, but gradually we made friends. The kiddies started schools and kindy and we had another 2 beautiful children there. We loved our time in Brisbane and could have stayed. The people were lovely especially towards the kiddies. The wildlife was exciting and exotic, the beaches were fantastic although I did find the bush land a bit boring. People were upbeat and friendly. Life was simple and easy and we fitted in but we rented a house and didn't quite put down roots so after 6 years so we returned in 2007. It was a big decision as we could so easily have stayed and we were quite happy there.

We now live in a rented house which is lovely in a village in the Cotswolds. Apart from my OH working in London 3 days a week life is good here. The kids are settled in school and my eldest will start secondary school next year (sept 210) however we miss things about Oz. Hubby not working away, easy going approach to life, what does the future hold for our kids after all this money being borrowed by the government. Short term it has been great here seeing family more regularly although we are not that close and having a cold Christmas. But we only live in a rented house so we would have to leave this village at some point in the future anyway.

My husband has now been offered a job in Canberra and we absolutely cannot decide what to do. Do we go back to Oz and see a different part of the country or do we stay here. We had thought if we went back we would return to Brisbane. We are worried if we turn the job down we will close the door on Oz but the thought of packing up in the next few weeks churns me up too. This time we would be moving for good so its a bigger decision than before.

I love life here at present but hav and ing taught in secondary school the kids here are more aggressive and disruptive in class and I don't want to short change our kids in the future. It would be much harder to get back to Oz under our own steam than through a company move. Does anyone live in Canberra who can let me know how they've found it ASAP as we have to decide in the next 2 days.

Thanks for your help if you can.:biggrin:

Hi, I have to agree with boomerangpommie here. You're so fortunate to have already experienced a life in Oz AND know that you can come back to the UK and start over successfully. I think with this in mind, I would go for it especially if you are having regrets about moving back to the UK in the first place. Kids are so adaptable....we worry so much about how they will feel but 9 times out of 10 they are better than we are!!! Wouldn't it be great if Oz was in France's location....we could all just hop back and forth as and when we feel like it. Would certainly make our decisions easier!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know your decision x

Guest hymie

Many thanks for your kind advice. we are still deliberating. It is looking as though we will stay in the Uk for the time being and if things go pearshaped at school/rented house then we will go back but first send my hubbie out on a reconnaisance trip to meet agencies/view houses/school/area. at least he'll egt a holiday in Oz out of it and won't have to hand in his notice here until we are absolutely sure. The worry about turning this canberra job down is that it would be a company move on a decent salary whereas going it alone would be more risky. I'd heard about these boomeranging familes when we moved out there. Never thought we'd become one! Anyway thanks again and i wish you all the best in your move.

Cheers Hymiex

Guest boomerangpommie

Never in a million years thought we would boomerang either, at least you gave it a good go first, I wimped out at the first hurdle, lol!!!

Archived