Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Thanks Alan for the quick response, I have sent an email to my agent to discuss this.

Can anyone answer this though please, if I decide to go for a 176 how long will it take for the state sponsorship to be decided? I know its like asking how long is a peice of string, but I was just wondering is it days, weeks or months? I am just getting everything together for the 175 with the hope of sending in the application by the end of Jan, will this hold it up by a lot??? Any responses or thoughts would be appreciated. I know my agent will be able to answer too as he's very good but other opinions are good to have.

Thanks again

Jenny

Hi Jenny

I would imagine it depends on the state you're applying to. We applied to WA for state sponsorship and it came through in around 3 weeks.

Denise x

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AndyandYvonneD
Hi Jenny

I would imagine it depends on the state you're applying to. We applied to WA for state sponsorship and it came through in around 3 weeks.

Denise x

Hi Jenny,

We also applied for State Sponsorship for Queensland and it came through in around 2-3 weeks, so not long.

Yvonne and Andy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jen

The problem is that all the State migration centres are about to be completely swamped with 176 and 475 State Sponsorship applications, as everyone rushes to get out of the fact that if they do not switch to State Sponsorship, their visa applications will not be processed at all for the foreseeable future. Once the stampede begins, processing times at the State Centres will begin to increase and I reckon they will all end up with hefty backlogs of applications waiting to be processed.

If you want to apply for a State Nominated 176 but you have enough points for the 175, apply for a 175 as soon as you can. Then change it to a State Nominated 176 if and when you get State approval. I reckon that the States will start to apply stringent selection criteria. The subclass 175 and 176 visas are both within Class VE. Therefore you can switch from one to the other without incurring additional fees and without making a new application.

Best wishes

Gill

Hello Zamb

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

VIC have said that they will be publishing new Lists on or before 12th January. Network Engineer might not remain on their 176 List. You would have to move like greased lightning in order to get an application to them before they change their List, or alternatively wait & see what the new one says.

The problem for you at the moment is that your occupation is not on the CSL or on the MODL. Unless you can secure State Sponsorship, it will not be processed any further during the remainder of the current Migration Program Year,which ends on 30th June 2009. Whether processing would resume thereafter depends on what the Minister then tells DIAC to do.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Gill,

12th of January gives me just one week, though. Given that processing normally takes longer than that, I wonder if my application would be treated based on the current list (pre 12 Jan) or the new list that is due to come out? I'd apply for the 176 sooner rather than later - you just never know.

Hi Jen

The problem is that all the State migration centres are about to be completely swamped with 176 and 475 State Sponsorship applications, as everyone rushes to get out of the fact that if they do not switch to State Sponsorship, their visa applications will not be processed at all for the foreseeable future. Once the stampede begins, processing times at the State Centres will begin to increase and I reckon they will all end up with hefty backlogs of applications waiting to be processed.

If you want to apply for a State Nominated 176 but you have enough points for the 175, apply for a 175 as soon as you can. Then change it to a State Nominated 176 if and when you get State approval. I reckon that the States will start to apply stringent selection criteria. The subclass 175 and 176 visas are both within Class VE. Therefore you can switch from one to the other without incurring additional fees and without making a new application.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

we have applied for a 175 visa in July 08, and O/H is a bricklayer so is also on the CSL list. We are planning to move to Victoria and bricklayer is also on their sponsorship list. Is it worth us having a chat with agent about maybe changing to a 176 visa, or do you think ours will be processed pretty quickly anyway.

Thanks

Mel

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Gill,

12th of January gives me just one week, though. Given that processing normally takes longer than that, I wonder if my application would be treated based on the current list (pre 12 Jan) or the new list that is due to come out? I'd apply for the 176 sooner rather than later - you just never know.

Hi Zamb

If you can get the application to them before the current list alters, VIC will honour the application in accordance with the current list.

Their wording is cryptic:

The eligibility lists for State Sponsorship - Skilled Visas are currently being reviewed as a result of Commonwealth Government changes to the Australian Skilled Migration Program. Revised lists will be posted on the website by 12 January 2009.

I don't like the way they are saying "by 12 Jan" instead of "on 12 Jan."

With luck, Network Engineer will stay on their 176 but there is simply no knowing what will actually happen.

I take it you have found all the links? There are looking for evidence that you have researchd Melbourne/Victoria thoroughly, know what the work-market would be like for you, have an idea of house prices/rents, educatiion facilities if needed and so on. They also need to be convinced that your desire to move to VIC is because you genuinely do want to live there.

Good luck with it all

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mel R

I think the problem is that all the State Centres are going to be swamped with applications. In "normal times" VIC say that it takes them about 8 weeks to process a sponsorship application made to them.

I would expect your application to progress reasonably normally anyway - not too much delay.

I would say do not frontload your meds and pccs for the time being.

An application to VIC would not cost you anything and there is no reason why you can't do the whole thing yourselves if you want to: It would not be the end of the world if they turn it down because they think you have not done enough research or something.

Are you under any particular time pressure to try to move one rung up the processing ladder? If not, I think you could afford to leave things as they are.

Best wishes

Gill

Gill

We aren't under any time pressures - apart from our own impatience!!! We were planning to have meds at the end of January, but maybe we'll hold off then.

Thanks

Mel

Hi Zamb

If you can get the application to them before the current list alters, VIC will honour the application in accordance with the current list.

Their wording is cryptic:

I don't like the way they are saying "by 12 Jan" instead of "on 12 Jan."

With luck, Network Engineer will stay on their 176 but there is simply no knowing what will actually happen.

I take it you have found all the links? There are looking for evidence that you have researchd Melbourne/Victoria thoroughly, know what the work-market would be like for you, have an idea of house prices/rents, educatiion facilities if needed and so on. They also need to be convinced that your desire to move to VIC is because you genuinely do want to live there.

Good luck with it all

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill, up till recently I had my eyes focussed on Queensland (Brisbane), with Vicroria (Melbourne) only being a distand second (last resort) option . If I now want (=have) to go for the 176, then I would need all the information I can get about the state of VIC, so you are welcome to send me what you've got.

I will get my migration agent to check the possibility of getting VIC state sponsorship for me on Monday.

Thanks for the very useful information and help so far. Really appreciated.

Guest jenpaul

Thanks for all your responses, some of the processing times where quicker than I thought however I'll bare in mind what Gill has said about all the extra applications they are going to be getting. I'm going to still go ahead with getting the 175 application in and speak to my agent on Mon about getting state sponsorship too. Goodluck everybody I think were all going to need it over the next few months.

Hi Jen

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Are you saying that they will no longer process 175 visas at all from now on?

Sue

Guest chris_mac

We submiited a 176 Family sponsor last sept and i am on both the MODL and the new CSL.. Being a bit slow, does this mean our application might be processed sooner...

Chris

Guest Tracey Jay

Thanks again Gill for all the help and advice. After a chat with the O/H we"ve decided to apply for state sponsorship for WA. Seems strange I"ve enough points but now have to apply to be sponsored. As long as it gets us there sooner rather than later who cares!!!

Here we go again form filling. What do I say.....the truth?? What area we want to live in the reason why, what reserch have we done??? Well none really. Do I tell them why I am now applying to be sponsored? Won"t they think it strange applying to be sponsored when I have enough points??

It"s like a mine feild out there!!

Thanks Gill,

I sent an email to the VIC Skilled Migration team asking that very question yesterday ... hopefully I will have a reply tomorrow (Monday) ...

Best regards.

A few words about our experiences with the State and Territory Governments and applications for sponsorship.

It is worth bearing in mind that you are dealing with entities that are far more subjective in the decision making process. With the visa application one can be reasonably sure of what is required. By contrast (to date at least) there has been a degree of ambiguity over (say) what level of research into the State/Territory must be carried out before an application has a reasonable chance of success.

Those who are seeking Sponsorship should carefully read the requirements of the sponsoring State/Territory, particularly where there is a need to demonstrate your research of your intended new home - the States and Territories are aware that once sponsored applicants have moved to Australia there is little they can do to ensure applicants continue to reside there so they generally tend to ensure a genuine intention at the front end of the application process.

Best regards.

Guest kaztayli

Hi Please could somebody draw pictures for me - I'm so confused with all the codes and visas etc

My husband's career is on the CSL (see I'm getting there slowly) but what does that really mean? We are only starting our visa applications now (due to waaaaaaaaay too much drama last year) and are now confused (again) as to where to start

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler
A few words about our experiences with the State and Territory Governments and applications for sponsorship.

It is worth bearing in mind that you are dealing with entities that are far more subjective in the decision making process. With the visa application one can be reasonably sure of what is required. By contrast (to date at least) there has been a degree of ambiguity over (say) what level of research into the State/Territory must be carried out before an application has a reasonable chance of success.

Those who are seeking Sponsorship should carefully read the requirements of the sponsoring State/Territory, particularly where there is a need to demonstrate your research of your intended new home - the States and Territories are aware that once sponsored applicants have moved to Australia there is little they can do to ensure applicants continue to reside there so they generally tend to ensure a genuine intention at the front end of the application process.

Best regards.

Hi All

I agree with Alan 100% and I would go further than he has about this.

If Bloggs thinks WA is the best place since cliced bread as a destination for him and his family, why does he think that?

Has he ever been to WA?

Does he have family in WA?

Does he have friends in WA?

Does he know a soul in WA if it comes to that?

What sort of work does he want to do in WA?

What sort of jobs are about in the field he wants to work in and where are the jobs based?

Has he applied for any jobs in WA? If so, with what results?

Has he phoned any potential employers in WA to ask them whether or not they think there will be a downturn in whatever the occupation is?

Having decided on where he might work, what about where he might live?

How would he get to work if his field of work would take him into Perth CBD every morning - with lengthy traffic jams on all the approach roads to the CBD?

Based on that, which areas would be within reasonable commuting distance from home?

So he has come up with a short list of about 6 suburbs.

Why does that cluster of suburbs appeal to him?

Does he know what property rental and house purchase prices are in those suburbs?

Are they within his price range?

What research has he done in order to find out?

Does he have children? If so, they will need schools.

Has he found out about the schools that his children could be sent to?

Has he thought about the cost and availability of health care in the part of WA that interests him?

Has he thought about the price of cars, insurance, fuel etc in WA?

What has he discovered about that?

If his wife intends to work, what does she plan to do and would the chosen suburbs enable her to do her own job without too much difficulty?

What makes WA appeal to Bloggs more than, say, Tasmania?

The climate?

The beaches?

How does the Bloggs family like to spend its leisure time?

What has Bloggs done about discovering the availability of facilities for those?

To come across convincingly, it is essential to have done at least 10 times more proper research than one is required to write about on the form.

It is NO use Bloggs reaching for the form solely because his only interest in WA, in truth, is that he does not want to hang about waiting for the processing time of his own 175 application to improve. It is NO use Bloggs trying to canter through the form and slap it in solely in order to beat the queue of applications that are probably already reaching the WA State Migration Centre every hour

So please do all think carefully about what is involved. Many of the people who have applied for WA sponsorship successfully have done so because they already knew they wanted to move to WA. The issue for them was solely that they were short of points and reckoned that they stood no chance with the IELTS. It was easy for them to get their WA applications ready quickly because they had already done 9/10 of the relevant research anyway.

I have spoken with a lady at the WA State Migration Centre a couple of months ago on behalf of a friend who is deaf and therefore couldn't ring them herself. The lady I spoke with is pretty sernior, I reckon. I don't know whether she is the decision maker but she has a mind like a razor and my guess is that she can spot someone who is not serious about WA from a mile away.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
We submiited a 176 Family sponsor last sept and i am on both the MODL and the new CSL.. Being a bit slow, does this mean our application might be processed sooner...

Chris

Hi Chris

The fact that your occupation is on the CSL should ensure that your application gets processed fairly promptly.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

Are you saying that they will no longer process 175 visas at all from now on?

Sue

Hi Sue

I have not spoken with anyone from DIAC myself. I'm not a migration agent.

I think Alan Collett of Go Matilda probably has spoken with someone senior in DIAC in the last few days. Please see this article:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Please could somebody draw pictures for me - I'm so confused with all the codes and visas etc

My husband's career is on the CSL (see I'm getting there slowly) but what does that really mean? We are only starting our visa applications now (due to waaaaaaaaay too much drama last year) and are now confused (again) as to where to start

Thanks

Hi there

What is Hubby's occupation and which State do you want to move to, please?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks again Gill for all the help and advice. After a chat with the O/H we"ve decided to apply for state sponsorship for WA. Seems strange I"ve enough points but now have to apply to be sponsored. As long as it gets us there sooner rather than later who cares!!!

Here we go again form filling. What do I say.....the truth?? What area we want to live in the reason why, what reserch have we done??? Well none really. Do I tell them why I am now applying to be sponsored? Won"t they think it strange applying to be sponsored when I have enough points??

Hi Tracey

Please read what Alan Collett has said and also my longer post about the sort of research they are likely to expect my man "Bloggs" to have done.

Best wishes

Gill

I have to agree with the sentiment. In the past, 175 applicants (MODL, employer sponsored and the likes aside) would have been considered the "gold dust" of Australian migrants. People who, in general, got the points based on a combination of age, qualification, skill, experience etc. The 176 state sponsored was an option for people that could not get the points for the 175, but could still get into Australia only after being sponsored by a particular state. I would not mind to wait a bit longer being on a 175 (no CSL, MODL), but if no 175's will be processed intil possibly after July this year and if a 176 state sponsorship is not possible, a lot of folk (including myself) might just give up on the Australian dream.

Guest madplumber1

Chris

Hi Chris,

We are in the same position as you as we sbmitted a 176 State sponsored visa last Sept and are on both the MODL and CSL lists, so heres hopeing eh...........

Madplumber

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Zamb

I would not mind to wait a bit longer being on a 175 (no CSL, MODL), but if no 175's will be processed intil possibly after July this year and if a 176 state sponsorship is not possible, a lot of folk (including myself) might just give up on the Australian dream.

I think you are absolutely right. However for the time being, migrants ditching the idea of Oz would suit the Minister for Immi down to the ground. So it is a real Catch-22 situation, I reckon.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived