Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Hi

All the posts regarding the CSL and processing times refer to permanent visa's only. Our state sponsorship application is currently in for a 475 visa. We plan to lodge the main visa application as soon as we get this approved. As the 475 is a provisional visa, is this likely to be processed along with state sponsored 176 visa's? Or, as it is a provisional visa, are we at the bottom of the processing priority queue? (My occupation is not on the CSL)

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks

KC

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a discussion I had earlier today I understand the State and Territory Sponsored applications will be processed first, followed by those where the occupation is on the CSL.

Note also that with the change in processing priorities there are a fair few anomalies in processing to be ironed out.

For example, in recent times we have seen e-lodged applications prioritised over paper, and applications from low risk countries prioritised over those from high risk countries.

If the Department of Immigration adheres to the Minister's Direction State and Territory sponsored applications lodged on paper and from high risk countries will be looked at with a view to processing before the generality of skilled applications. Given a reduction in the skilled program I anticipate this will mean that processing timelines for applicants who are not in one of the categories noted in the Direction are likely to push out towards 12 months.

I therefore recommend that skilled visa applicants - particularly those whose occupation is not on the CSL - famiiarise themselves with the wanted skills lists of the States and Territories and consider seeking sponsorship if their occupation is on a list of a State/Territory in which they want to live.

Best regards.

Hi

All the posts regarding the CSL and processing times refer to permanent visa's only. Our state sponsorship application is currently in for a 475 visa. We plan to lodge the main visa application as soon as we get this approved. As the 475 is a provisional visa, is this likely to be processed along with state sponsored 176 visa's? Or, as it is a provisional visa, are we at the bottom of the processing priority queue? (My occupation is not on the CSL)

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks

KC

I understand a State or Territory sponsored subclass 475 visa application is in a category that will be prioritised under the Ministerial Direction.

Best regards.

Guest Allsopps3
Update as to skilled visa processing from 01/01/2009 is here:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

This is based on discussions with the ASPC this afternoon.

Best regards.

Hi, Alan.

Having read your update, do you think it would be worthwhile changing from a 175 to a 176, (my occupation is on the state shortage list), even if my occupation is on the CSL and I have a job offer? Is the 175,submitted in October, likely to be processed quicker or take longer? Just concerned about commencement dates for job offer.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Tracey.

:cute:

From a discussion I had earlier today I understand the State and Territory Sponsored applications will be processed first, followed by those where the occupation is on the CSL.

Note also that with the change in processing priorities there are a fair few anomalies in processing to be ironed out.

For example, in recent times we have seen e-lodged applications prioritised over paper, and applications from low risk countries prioritised over those from high risk countries.

If the Department of Immigration adheres to the Minister's Direction State and Territory sponsored applications lodged on paper and from high risk countries will be looked at with a view to processing before the generality of skilled applications. Given a reduction in the skilled program I anticipate this will mean that processing timelines for applicants who are not in one of the categories noted in the Direction are likely to push out towards 12 months.

I therefore recommend that skilled visa applicants - particularly those whose occupation is not on the CSL - famiiarise themselves with the wanted skills lists of the States and Territories and consider seeking sponsorship if their occupation is on a list of a State/Territory in which they want to live.

Best regards.

Hi, how does one go about getting sponcership and where do you find a list of the occupations that a state wants ? I m a slater and not on the CSL . thanks stevie:cute:

Guest jenpaul

Hi Alan,

I am about to send in my 175 application at the end of Jan, with the help of Go Matilda, after your comment would it be worth changing to a 176 (I'm an accountant with IELT so its on the CSL list)? I have read that a 176 is permanent, is the only difference between the 2 that you have to remain in the state for 2 years? If we are lucky enough to get a visa we are hoping to start a family when we get out there - on a 176 visa would I have to work for the first 2 years or would I be able to raise a family and then work later? Finally, if I do change to a 176, Victoria has Accountant on the list with 4 years experience - does that mean post qual experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jenny

Guest Gollywobbler
:cute: Hi, how does one go about getting sponcership and where do you find a list of the occupations that a state wants ? I m a slater and not on the CSL . thanks stevie:cute:

Hi Steve

Roofer is not on the 176 List for QLD, unfortunately:

Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List

Are you willing to consider another part of Oz instead because each State/Territory has its own list for the 176 visa and there is quite a lot of variation between them?

Roofer is still on the List for South Australia, for example, and their new 176 List was only published yesterday.

http://migration.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=2884

It is on the List for West Australia as well:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

I have not checked the other States and Territories but please use this link to do so:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Make sure the List talks abut the subclass 176 visa and not the provisional subclass 475 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa, I suggest.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Steve

Roofer is not on the 176 List for QLD, unfortunately:

Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List

Are you willing to consider another part of Oz instead because each State/Territory has its own list for the 176 visa and there is quite a lot of variation between them?

Roofer is still on the List for South Australia, for example, and their new 176 List was only published yesterday.

http://migration.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=2884

It is on the List for West Australia as well:

I have not checked the other States and Territories but please use this link to do so:

Make sure the List talks abut the subclass 176 visa and not the provisional subclass 475 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa, I suggest.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks for your reply gill .

stevie:wink:

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi can anyone in the know advise me please. Applied for visa 175 online 6th sept.....hairdresser. Planning to move to Brisbane with my husband and 2 children, where I have family....auntie uncle and cousins. From what I"ve read no point getting my family to sponser me. It"s all down to employment. I am on MODL but not on CSL. I can"t get state sponsership, not on the list which I believe to be visa 176 and the 1 with the most priority. Wouldn"t know where to start with employment sponsership and don"t think it"s really the done thing in hairdressing (please contradict me, and get me a job please!!). I"ve been trying to read up on all this and make sense of it all!!!

The only other option I think we"ve got is to apply for regional temporary sponsership (sub class 475).... i think. Would we get a visa quicker this way??? Yes I know how long is a piece of string??? Hairdressing is on regional list for QLD.

Is this a big risk to take? Would we be guaranteed to get permanent residency eventually?? Would I have to start the whole visa application again.

Am I better off just sitting tight and waiting for my 175 to come through. Before all the changes I was hoping to get a case officer jan/feb. Feel like I"m just going to get pushed down and down the list now!!

Sorry to waffle on but like alot I feel like I"ve had the carpet pulled from under my feet.

Cheers Tracey.

Hi Alan,

I am about to send in my 175 application at the end of Jan, with the help of Go Matilda, after your comment would it be worth changing to a 176 (I'm an accountant with IELT so its on the CSL list)? I have read that a 176 is permanent, is the only difference between the 2 that you have to remain in the state for 2 years? If we are lucky enough to get a visa we are hoping to start a family when we get out there - on a 176 visa would I have to work for the first 2 years or would I be able to raise a family and then work later? Finally, if I do change to a 176, Victoria has Accountant on the list with 4 years experience - does that mean post qual experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jenny

Hello Jenny.

I recommend having a telephone conversation or email exchange with your Go Matilda consultant. If you'd like me to tee up a conversation please send me a PM advising your full name so I can locate you on our records.

For reference there is an obligation under the State or Territory Sponsored 176 visa to reside in the sponsoring State/Territory for at least 2 years. You don't have to work in your nominated occupation - or indeed work at all - although clearly the sponsor would like you to do so.

Best regards.

Hi, Alan.

Having read your update, do you think it would be worthwhile changing from a 175 to a 176, (my occupation is on the state shortage list), even if my occupation is on the CSL and I have a job offer? Is the 175,submitted in October, likely to be processed quicker or take longer? Just concerned about commencement dates for job offer.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Tracey.

Given that State Sponsorship generally doesn't cost anything - I believe only the ACT charges a fee for such applications - you might take the view that you have nothing to lose by applying for State Sponsorship.

If the ASPC follows past practice it is then quite possible you will still be granted a subclass 175 visa if you meet the points requirements for that subclass without State or Territory Sponsorship.

Best regards.

Guest ochie2008

Hi Alan, Read your comment on changing from 175 t0 176, very informative! Can you confirm my understanding: if you have already applied for 175 you can easily switch to 176 if you secure a state sponsorship?

If affirmative, does the change affect your application date or require additional payment? I applied in Dec 07 as an Accountant wishing to go to Perth and would not mind changing to 176 if this can help speed up the process.

Regards to all members

Hi Alan, Read your comment on changing from 175 t0 176, very informative! Can you confirm my understanding: if you have already applied for 175 you can easily switch to 176 if you secure a state sponsorship?

If affirmative, does the change affect your application date or require additional payment? I applied in Dec 07 as an Accountant wishing to go to Perth and would not mind changing to 176 if this can help speed up the process.

Regards to all members

Visa subclasses 175 and 176 sit under the same visa class (Class VE).

Technically, you apply for the grant of a visa under a visa class. The Department of Immigration will then assess you against all subclasses under the visa class.

So yes, you can provide documentation that allows the application to be assessed under subclass 176.

Such a change does not affect the date you applied for the visa, and does not require an additional payment to the Department of Immigration.

You should though explicitly flag the existence of the State Sponsorship in due course so that it is highlighted as an application to be processed as a priority at the ASPC.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Guest ochie2008

Alan, Thanks a million for your quick reply. What a wonderful help you provide! I will straight away apply for state sponsorship. I don't know, if i read some blog that said that 176 has more checking/vetting than 175 by DIAC.

Regards

Ochie

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi can anyone in the know advise me please. Applied for visa 175 online 6th sept.....hairdresser. Planning to move to Brisbane with my husband and 2 children, where I have family....auntie uncle and cousins. From what I"ve read no point getting my family to sponser me. It"s all down to employment. I am on MODL but not on CSL. I can"t get state sponsership, not on the list which I believe to be visa 176 and the 1 with the most priority. Wouldn"t know where to start with employment sponsership and don"t think it"s really the done thing in hairdressing (please contradict me, and get me a job please!!). I"ve been trying to read up on all this and make sense of it all!!!

The only other option I think we"ve got is to apply for regional temporary sponsership (sub class 475).... i think. Would we get a visa quicker this way??? Yes I know how long is a piece of string??? Hairdressing is on regional list for QLD.

Is this a big risk to take? Would we be guaranteed to get permanent residency eventually?? Would I have to start the whole visa application again.

Am I better off just sitting tight and waiting for my 175 to come through. Before all the changes I was hoping to get a case officer jan/feb. Feel like I"m just going to get pushed down and down the list now!!

Sorry to waffle on but like alot I feel like I"ve had the carpet pulled from under my feet.

Cheers Tracey.

Hi Tracey

The Ministerial Direction which gives rise to the recent changes says that the new pecking order will be:

1. Employer sponsored PR visas (ENS & RSMS)

2. State sponsored visas

3. Occupations on the CSL

4. Occupations on the MODL

5. "The rest"

Alan Collett of Go Matilda evidently had a senior level chat with DIAC yesterday. According to Alan's latest article, DIAC will simply halt the processing of "the rest" until after 1st juky 2009.

At the moment your application will continue to be processed. It will merely have less priority than the three categories above it.

I think with you the main consideration is that DIAC say they intend to review the MODL early in 2009. There are rumours that they might take Hairdresser off the MODL. If they do so then you would still get your MODL points. Have no fears about that bit. It is also very unlikely that they would not honour your existing MODL priority. In other words the new MODL will not be backdated to 1st January for the purpose of priority processing.

Assuming that I am right about the above, I would suggest that you sit tight, do nothing and let us wait to see what they do with the MODL. My hunch is that it will turn out to be better if you simply stick with your existing 175 application.

However in your shoes what I would also do would be a "dummy run" at getting a QLD State Sponsorship application ready so that if it should turn out to be worthwhile to switch to the 475 visa instead, you would be in a position to submit your application to QLD at very short notice. Getting a State application ready takes quite a while, so I'd be preparing that bit as a contingency plan just in case it becomes worthwhile to use it.

The other thing to bear in mind is that there is no reason why you cannot have concurrent visa applications in the pipeline, both for the 175 and for a State Sponsored 475 provisional visa if you wish. If you do this then you will inevitably waste one of other of your two payments of $2,105 to DIAC. For that reason, if I were in your shoes I would get a "dummy run" ready just in case it later turns out that it would be worthwhile to make another, concurrent application. I assume that you are not using an Agent so it would not cost you anything except your own time to proceed along these lines?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Tracey

The Ministerial Direction which gives rise to the recent changes says that the new pecking order will be:

1. Employer sponsored PR visas (ENS & RSMS)

2. State sponsored visas

3. Occupations on the CSL

4. Occupations on the MODL

5. "The rest"

Alan Collett of Go Matilda evidently had a senior level chat with DIAC yesterday. According to Alan's latest article, DIAC will simply halt the processing of "the rest" until after 1st juky 2009.

Hi Gill

Does this mean that if we apply for a 175 in the first few months of `09 and are in `the rest`catagory, nothing will happen to the application until July 09?

We are using an agent. And are not on MODL.

Thanks

Sue x

I am afraid I would not be pinning all hopes on your visa application progressing in July 2009. If you do cannot tick any of the categories on the Ministerial Direction processing could take somewhat longer.

The DIAC staff at the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre has to follow the Minister's Direction, and their first efforts will be in progressing skilled applications that are the subject of that Direction - which please recall was only made known in the last few days before Xmas.

Have a look at the wanted skills lists in the States and Territories - and prepared to look at the provisional subclass 475 visa if you want your application to be progressed sooner rather than later.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Sue

Alan Collett is right.

Do you know which State you want to move to?

The link to all the State and Territiory migration websites is here:

Check out the lists for the Skilled Sponsored 176 visa and the one for the Skilled Regional Sponsored 475 visa in each case.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Tracey Jay

Thanks for the advice Gill......what would we all do without you and Allan???

Sorry but a few more questions. Are temporary visas processed in a different way to permanent oness?? What i means basically 2 different queus? Are you likely to be granted a temporary quicker than a permanent? Will a temporary always lead to a permanent?? I don"t want to uproot all my family to be told in a few years we have to come back to the UK.

If they take hairdressing off the MODL list what you are saying is hopefully I "ll still stay in the queue with my points it will only affect those who apply after the time they change it.

What about reginonal sponsorship? Are they likely to change that? Sorry Gill to ask so many questions.

Here comes another one..... Is hairdressing on the state sponsorship for WA. From what I"ve read it is. That would be another option.

At present i"ll sit tight, think i may be panicing for nothing just a bit of a longer wait. It"s going to take time for all those who are now going to change from 175 to 176 to get the ball rolling and hopefully I got my application in just in time and will slip through the net before the onslaught of 176 applications. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Cheers Tracey.

It seems that I am now in the same (175) boat as a lot of others here, meaning a potential long wait before my visa application (which had been lodged in December) will be even allocated to a CO.

Even though I am a Computing Network Professional with 10 years experience holding one of the most sought-after and highly valued networking certifications - the Cisco CCIE - my occuption (Network Engineer) is nowhere to be found on neither the MODL nor the recent CSL lists :-(

For this reason I had applied for the 175, but it now seems that I might be better off going for the 176 (State Sponsored), instead. However, having looked through the sponsorship offerings of all states in Australia, only one seem to offer some glimmer of hope. The only state that seem to offer 176 Sponsored visas for guys like me (aka Network Engineers) is the state of Victoria. I do hope this is true, though. Could someone confirm this perhaps? If so, I would consider switching my visa from 175 to 176 to at least get my visa processed in this decade rather than the next :-)

Victoria is perhaps not my first choice state, but what the heck, if this gets me into Oz sooner, then I would definately give it a go.

It seems that I am now in the same (175) boat as a lot of others here, meaning a potential long wait before my visa application (which had been lodged in December) will be even allocated to a CO.

Even though I am a Computing Network Professional with 10 years experience holding one of the most sought-after and highly valued networking certifications - the Cisco CCIE - my occuption (Network Engineer) is nowhere to be found on neither the MODL nor the recent CSL lists :-(

For this reason I had applied for the 175, but it now seems that I might be better off going for the 176 (State Sponsored), instead. However, having looked through the sponsorship offerings of all states in Australia, only one seem to offer some glimmer of hope. The only state that seem to offer 176 Sponsored visas for guys like me (aka Network Engineers) is the state of Victoria. I do hope this is true, though. Could someone confirm this perhaps? If so, I would consider switching my visa from 175 to 176 to at least get my visa processed in this decade rather than the next :-)

Victoria is perhaps not my first choice state, but what the heck, if this gets me into Oz sooner, then I would definately give it a go.

Should perhaps have mentioned that my ACS skills ref is 2231-79, for the benefit of those that think in numbers...

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tracey Jay

Is hairdressing on the state sponsorship for WA. From what I"ve read it is. That would be another option.

At the moment Hairdresser is on the 176 List for WA, yes:

If WA sponsor you, you would be able to live wherever you like in WA. A switch to WA sponsorship and to living in WA would be a very sound move for you if you are willing to commit to living in WA during your first two years in Oz?

If so, then:

State Migration Centre

In my view this would be a first rate idea for you.

Sorry but a few more questions. Are temporary visas processed in a different way to permanent oness?? What i means basically 2 different queus? Are you likely to be granted a temporary quicker than a permanent?

Effectively yes. However both State Sponsored Queues - for the 176 and the 475 visa respectively - will get priority over an MODL 175 according to the Ministerial Direction. I think the 176 will probably get more priority than the 475.

Will a temporary always lead to a permanent?? I don"t want to uproot all my family to be told in a few years we have to come back to the UK.

Let us say that you move to Regional QLD on a provisional 475 visa. You would have to live in Regional QLD for a minimum of 2 years and as the main visa holder you would have to work full time as a Hairdresser (or in a closely related occupatiion which is on the SOL) for not less than 12 months out of the 24 month period. If you comply with these conditions then you would be able to upgrade to PR via the subclass 887 visa afterwards.

Alternatively if you can find a large enough salon with training programs etc, they might agree to sponsor you for an RSMS visa within less than two years. An RSMS visa would give you PR but you would have to continue to work as a full time Hairdresser for another 2 years after the RSMS visa is granted.

If they take hairdressing off the MODL list what you are saying is hopefully I "ll still stay in the queue with my points it will only affect those who apply after the time they change it."

My gut-instinct is that the current Minister will not behave like a bar steward about this, though other Ministers in the past have been bar stewards and have said that MODL points will only be awarded if the occupation is on the MODL on the day when a CO assesses the application. That would cause uproar and because of the Internet being in almost every home, bad news about Australia as a Government which lures people into paying for visa applications and then shifts the points goalposts on them afterwards would travel round the planet at the speed of light. It would give the Fed Govt a simply appalling name in the eyes of the international community, so I don't think the current Minister will risk the adverse publicity. I also think there would be litigation about it if he tried to.

However, I'm only an intelligent by stander. I'm not the Minister or the boss of DIAC. I can't predct what they will do with any certainty. I think we will have to wait and see what any new MODL looks like and what they say on the day.

Also, if you are willing to consider moving to WA instead then you can insure yoursellf against the risk of the Minister acting like a bar steward when push comes to shove.

What about reginonal sponsorship? Are they likely to change that?

All States and Territories are free to change their sponsorship lists for the 176 and 175 visas whenever they like, as often as they like and without giving any priior notice of any changes.

I have been chatting with Alan Collett about this on the Go Matilda forum. I asked him whether the State Migration Centres in the various States have the resources in place to handle the huge number of applications for State Sponsorship which they are all bound to get in the near future? Alan's answer is "probably not". If he is right, this thing is going to hit all of them with the fury of a typhoon.

If each State is suddenly deluged with applications, first they will take forever to be psocessed, assessed and decided. Which would defeat one of the Minister's key objectives with the new pecking order. I think the States will become fussier than they already are about who they select, and I think it will also cause all of them to review their own Lists, if only to take some of the pressure off their own staff. This whole gamble could backfire on the Minister very badly I reckon.

At present i"ll sit tight, think i may be panicing for nothing just a bit of a longer wait. It"s going to take time for all those who are now going to change from 175 to 176 to get the ball rolling and hopefully I got my application in just in time and will slip through the net before the onslaught of 176 applications.

If you are serious about WA, I would suggest that you get an application for WA 176 Sponsorship ready with all speed and submit it as soon as it is ready, so that you know what your options would be depending on whether WA say yes or no to you.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest jenpaul

Thanks Alan for the quick response, I have sent an email to my agent to discuss this.

Can anyone answer this though please, if I decide to go for a 176 how long will it take for the state sponsorship to be decided? I know its like asking how long is a peice of string, but I was just wondering is it days, weeks or months? I am just getting everything together for the 175 with the hope of sending in the application by the end of Jan, will this hold it up by a lot??? Any responses or thoughts would be appreciated. I know my agent will be able to answer too as he's very good but other opinions are good to have.

Thanks again

Jenny

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Zamb

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

VIC have said that they will be publishing new Lists on or before 12th January. Network Engineer might not remain on their 176 List. You would have to move like greased lightning in order to get an application to them before they change their List, or alternatively wait & see what the new one says.

The problem for you at the moment is that your occupation is not on the CSL or on the MODL. Unless you can secure State Sponsorship, it will not be processed any further during the remainder of the current Migration Program Year,which ends on 30th June 2009. Whether processing would resume thereafter depends on what the Minister then tells DIAC to do.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived