Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Chris,

We are in the same position as you as we sbmitted a 176 State sponsored visa last Sept and are on both the MODL and CSL lists, so heres hopeing eh...........

Madplumber

Hi MP

I suspect you might end up winning the race between you and Kangaroo Bruce because of it! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AndyandYvonneD
Hi MP

I suspect you might end up winning the race between you and Kangaroo Bruce because of it! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

I have asked Bruce to get my stick of rock ready with a nice big bow around it:jiggy:

Yvonne and Andy

Guest kaztayli
Hi there

What is Hubby's occupation and which State do you want to move to, please?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

He's in Refrigeration and Aircon and although we would prefer Perth - we are happy to move to any state where the sun shines :biggrin:

I'm just really not sure where or how to start our application

Thanks for your help

Kaz

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

He's in Refrigeration and Aircon and although we would prefer Perth - we are happy to move to any state where the sun shines :biggrin:

I'm just really not sure where or how to start our application

Thanks for your help

Kaz

Hi Kaz

OK - thanks for this. Hubby is this guy, then?

Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Mechanic 4312-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Does he have any formal qualifications, can he demonstrate that he has done a formal or informal apprenticeship, and how much work experience does he have, please?

If you phoned round a few migration agents 18 months ago, they would have told you that formal qualifications were unnecessary. At the time that was true. However Aussie Immi Law keeps the world on its toes because they change it every 5 minutes, often without warning. They closed TRA Pathway D (no formal qualifications, self-taught etc) on 4th September 2007 without a prior word to a soul, which has changed the entire game for a lot of tradies. Now they MUST hvae formal qualifications etc.

Are you using an Agent? If so, it is his/her job to do the legwork for you and advise you about your possible options.

A 175 application when the skill is on the CSL will be processed reasonably fast anyway. If you have an Agent and s/he wants to charge you extra for helping you with an application for State Sponsorship merely in order to save a bit of time on the visa processing, consider whether the idea is really worthwhile, I would suggest. Although the applicant has to do a lot of the legwork with a State application (research the place etc) the Agent is not without work to do as well.

As it happens, you want to go to Perth and you are on the current WA 176 List for Perth:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

State Migration Centre » Skilled Sponsored Visa

Therefore you could finesse your proposed visa application via WA State Sponsorship, potentially.

However to judge from the feedback on this forum particularly in the last few days, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the whole idea of State Sponsorship being a "favoured option" is going to backfire on the Minister for Immi pretty forcefully.

Everyone with a pulse, almost, is now running around looking for State Sponsorship. Inevitably this is going to lead to serious backlogs in the State Migration Centres. What is the point of DIAC fast tracking a 176 visa application if it takes the applicant 6 months to get the State Sponsorship in the first place?

I suspect that the smart money might back the Other Horse. Rely on the 175 CSL option instead because in the end, I reckon it might prove to be quicker once the "feeding frenzy" of trying to obtain State Sponsorship really gets going, which I now think is a certainty.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Kaz

However to judge from the feedback on this forum particularly in the last few days, I am becoming increasingly convinced that the whole idea of State Sponsorship being a "favoured option" is going to backfire on the Minister for Immi pretty forcefully.

Everyone with a pulse, almost, is now running around looking for State Sponsorship. Inevitably this is going to lead to serious backlogs in the State Migration Centres. What is the point of DIAC fast tracking a 176 visa application if it takes the applicant 6 months to get the State Sponsorship in the first place?

I suspect that the smart money might back the Other Horse. Rely on the 175 CSL option instead because in the end, I reckon it might prove to be quicker once the "feeding frenzy" of trying to obtain State Sponsorship really gets going, which I now think is a certainty.

Best wishes

Gill

Gill

I think that you have made an excellent point there.

Mx

Guest kaztayli
Hi Kaz

OK - thanks for this. Hubby is this guy, then?

Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Mechanic 4312-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Does he have any formal qualifications, can he demonstrate that he has done a formal or informal apprenticeship, and how much work experience does he have, please?

If you phoned round a few migration agents 18 months ago, they would have told you that formal qualifications were unnecessary. At the time that was true. However Aussie Immi Law keeps the world on its toes because they change it every 5 minutes, often without warning. They closed TRA Pathway D (no formal qualifications, self-taught etc) on 4th September 2007 without a prior word to a soul, which has changed the entire game for a lot of tradies. Now they MUST hvae formal qualifications etc.

Are you using an Agent? If so, it is his/her job to do the legwork for you and advise you about your possible options.

A 175 application when the skill is on the CSL will be processed reasonably fast anyway. If you have an Agent and s/he wants to charge you extra for helping you with an application for State Sponsorship merely in order to save a bit of time on the visa processing, consider whether the idea is really worthwhile, I would suggest. Although the applicant has to do a lot of the legwork with a State application (research the place etc) the Agent is not without work to do as well.

As it happens, you want to go to Perth and you are on the current WA 176 List for Perth:

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/media/documents/priority-skills-list.pdf

State Migration Centre » Skilled Sponsored Visa

Therefore you could finesse your proposed visa application via WA State Sponsorship, potentially.

Best wishes

Gill

Wow thanks for that Gill

Our big problem is that he was trained in RSA both via college and an appyship. Unfortunately the college has changed hands so many times now that we can't track his certs down and his first boss never registered with the apprenticeship board (don't you love it) However 20 years down the line and he's still in the same trade with one of the world's biggest refrigeration companies and has many certificates from City & Guilds and is a member of the UK IOR (Institute of Refrigeration)

We are weighing up whether or not to use an agent and are not sure which is the best way to go. We have been told that we can do it ourselves but if I am already confused .............:err: it might not be the best option.

I wonder if we are going to face problems

Guest Gollywobbler
When you say 175 CSL - you do mean permanent residence don't you?

Hi Kaz

Yes.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest AndreanDaz

Hi Gill,

Having read so many views and opinions in this thread I am a little confused with regards to processing times for skilled 175 visas. We lodged our online visa application on 2/10/08, my hubby's trade is on the csl given that his trade is on the list would it not be correct to assume that processing will be given priority under the new direction? Whilst I understand that priority is to be given to state & employer sponsored visa applications can you tell me whether priority will be given to skilled 175 visa applications already in the system on the csl over state and employer sponsored applications lodged after ours?

Thanks

Andrea

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Having read so many views and opinions in this thread I am a little confused with regards to processing times for skilled 175 visas. We lodged our online visa application on 2/10/08, my hubby's trade is on the csl given that his trade is on the list would it not be correct to assume that processing will be given priority under the new direction? Whilst I understand that priority is to be given to state & employer sponsored visa applications can you tell me whether priority will be given to skilled 175 visa applications already in the system on the csl over state and employer sponsored applications lodged after ours?

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Andrew

1. Your application will continue to be processed because OH's occupation is on the CSL.

2. No - employer-sponsored applications and State & Territory sponsored applications, even if lodged later than yours, will have priority over 175 CSL applications.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

I have read all posts in this thread, and I have to say that we feel extremely disappointed and upset at the moment. We have applied for 175 skilled independent intending to go to WA, and my occupation, translator is not on the MODL, and certainly not on the new list either. :sad: Unfortunately, state sponsor is not an option for us, as again, my occupation is not on any of the states lists. We will therefore have to just wait for better news, as I personally can't see an alternative.

As I am a freelance translator, I will carry on working for my customers after our move to Oz, so in effect, I have no period without work. It should really count as a job offer, but I'm sure things don't work that way.

Another thought I had, perhaps if I get an Australian client now, would this give me priority?

I am at a loss and don't know what to do to ever get ourselves out there. We started this whole process in June 2006, so the wait is already long, long, long :confused:

If anyone has any advice, it would be enormously appreciated, to see some ligth at the end of the tunnel.....

Cheers,

Karin

Guest Gollywobbler
Wow thanks for that Gill

Our big problem is that he was trained in RSA both via college and an appyship. Unfortunately the college has changed hands so many times now that we can't track his certs down and his first boss never registered with the apprenticeship board (don't you love it) However 20 years down the line and he's still in the same trade with one of the world's biggest refrigeration companies and has many certificates from City & Guilds and is a member of the UK IOR (Institute of Refrigeration)

We are weighing up whether or not to use an agent and are not sure which is the best way to go. We have been told that we can do it ourselves but if I am already confused .............:err: it might not be the best option.

I wonder if we are going to face problems

Hi again, Kaz

City & Guilds 1,2 & 3 would be OK, I believe. What levels does OH have in those?

I think it would definitely be worth your while to speak with some competent, experienced migration agents.

It may be possible to demonstrate that Hubby did an informal apprenticeship? This is one of the other things TRA insist on for the skills assessment.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

Please see the Table at section 8 in the document above.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
I have read all posts in this thread, and I have to say that we feel extremely disappointed and upset at the moment. We have applied for 175 skilled independent intending to go to WA, and my occupation, translator is not on the MODL, and certainly not on the new list either. :sad: Unfortunately, state sponsor is not an option for us, as again, my occupation is not on any of the states lists. We will therefore have to just wait for better news, as I personally can't see an alternative.

As I am a freelance translator, I will carry on working for my customers after our move to Oz, so in effect, I have no period without work. It should really count as a job offer, but I'm sure things don't work that way.

Another thought I had, perhaps if I get an Australian client now, would this give me priority?

I am at a loss and don't know what to do to ever get ourselves out there. We started this whole process in June 2006, so the wait is already long, long, long :confused:

If anyone has any advice, it would be enormously appreciated, to see some ligth at the end of the tunnel.....

Cheers,

Karin

Hi Karin & Mervyn

An Australian client would not help you.

However if you get a job offer from an Australian employer then you may be able to go to Oz on a temporary subclass 457 visa whilst you wait for your 175 visa processing to re-commence?

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Sponsoring a Temporary Overseas Employee to Australia

You would have to work full time for the employer (and exclusively for the employer) during the period on the 457 visa. That said, there woould be no reason why you could not continue to do freelance translating in your spare time as long as your clients are not in Australia and you are not paid in Australia for the freelance stuff.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest ajfinlay

This has been a really interesting thread to read. I have skipped over a lot of it as ai dont understand some of the terminology and differemt visa's etc. However is anyone able to clarify something for me please as our agent doesnt seem to know.

We submitted 175 - 14th June 2008 as hubby is a motor mechanic and his job was/is on the MODL list. We completed meds and police checks early dec to save time once we have our CO. Having checked the CSL his job is still listed. Do you think this will speed things up a little for us now and if so can anyone hazard a guess how much longer we should expect to wait ..(how long is a peice of string???)

Guest Gollywobbler
This has been a really interesting thread to read. I have skipped over a lot of it as ai dont understand some of the terminology and differemt visa's etc. However is anyone able to clarify something for me please as our agent doesnt seem to know.

We submitted 175 - 14th June 2008 as hubby is a motor mechanic and his job was/is on the MODL list. We completed meds and police checks early dec to save time once we have our CO. Having checked the CSL his job is still listed. Do you think this will speed things up a little for us now and if so can anyone hazard a guess how much longer we should expect to wait ..(how long is a peice of string???)

Hi AJF

It won't necessarily speed things up but at least your visa application will continue to be processed.

Whereabouts in Oz are you headed for?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Thanks for that. Does that mean a skilled 175 applicant on the csl will have priority over all 176 applicants even if their trades are on the csl?

I had understood that priority processing was being given to state & employer sponsored applications.

Andrea

Hi Andrea

It is the other way around. All State Sponsored applicants will have priority over 175 CSL applicants.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest ajfinlay

We are in debate at the minute between Perth and Adelaide. We need to weigh everything up and look at house prices v salaries etc ... I don feel like i should get my hopes up and look until we have the visa.. Everything seems to have gone ahed. Positve vetasess assesment, no tracs on the police records, and examining Dr advised all appears ok. So we are secretley feeling positive.

Guest AndreanDaz
Hi Andrea

It is the other way around. All State Sponsored applicants will have priority over 175 CSL applicants.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Well if that's the case how can the 175 skilled applications progress if all sponsored applications lodged from now on are given priority over those already submitted?

So in view of that would we not be better changing ours to a state sponsored visa?

Andrea

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn
Hi Karin & Mervyn

An Australian client would not help you.

However if you get a job offer from an Australian employer then you may be able to go to Oz on a temporary subclass 457 visa whilst you wait for your 175 visa processing to re-commence?

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Sponsoring a Temporary Overseas Employee to Australia

You would have to work full time for the employer (and exclusively for the employer) during the period on the 457 visa. That said, there woould be no reason why you could not continue to do freelance translating in your spare time as long as your clients are not in Australia and you are not paid in Australia for the freelance stuff.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your reply, this was my thought, perhaps a full-time job.... unfortunately, I may lose my current customers if I did this, as there probably won't be enough spare time to do all the work in that I'm currently taking on. I'm going to look into the possibilities though, and think about things. You've given me some food for thought....

Cheers,

Karin

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Well if that's the case how can the 175 skilled applications progress if all sponsored applications lodged from now on are given priority over those already submitted?

So in view of that would we not be better changing ours to a state sponsored visa?

Andrea

Hi Andrea

Employer-sponsored visas are not processed by the ASPC.

People who do not already have State Sponsorship are going to start finding that it will take longer & longer to get it because all the State Migration Centres are going to get swamped with applications, I reckon.

Alan Collett is saying that 175 applications currently handled by the ASPC are not going to be progressed at for the remainder of the current program year. Therefore the ASPC staff will have time for the State Sponsored applicants and for the 175 CSL applicants.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best wishes

Gill

Guest AndreanDaz
Hi Andrea

Employer-sponsored visas are not processed by the ASPC.

People who do not already have State Sponsorship are going to start finding that it will take longer & longer to get it because all the State Migration Centres are going to get swamped with applications, I reckon.

Alan Collett is saying that 175 applications currently handled by the ASPC are not going to be progressed at for the remainder of the current program year. Therefore the ASPC staff will have time for the State Sponsored applicants and for the 175 CSL applicants.

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

From you response am I correct in thinking that we've nothing to worry about and that our application will continue to be processed as expected as Darren's trade is on the csl?

Andrea

Hi Gill,

From you response am I correct in thinking that we've nothing to worry about and that our application will continue to be processed as expected as Darren's trade is on the csl?

Andrea

Hi Andrea

We are in exactly the same boat as you, my o/h is also a brickie. i have emailed my agent to see if he can provide any clearer light, although i believe he will most likely say the same as Gill.

Mx

Guest AndreanDaz
Hi Andrea

We are in exactly the same boat as you, my o/h is also a brickie. i have emailed my agent to see if he can provide any clearer light, although i believe he will most likely say the same as Gill.

Mx

Hi Mel,

I too have emailed our agent to see if they can shed any light on this matter. I did email them last week and I have just been reviewing her response. Basically she's said that the changes don't affect our eligibility for a visa and that because his trade is on the csl he will receive priority processing however can't comment on timescales because it's a new system and they have no idea how long it will take.

I just can't see how anyone applying for a 175 visa who's trade is on the csl can be given priority processing if all sponsored visa take priority over the 175's.

Andrea

I have pm'd you

I sent an email to the VIC Skilled Migration team asking that very question yesterday ... hopefully I will have a reply tomorrow (Monday) ...

Best regards.

Reply received from Skilled Migration Program in Melbourne:

"We advise applications received prior to any changes on 12 January 2009 will be assessed under existing guidelines."

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Andrea

Hi Andrea

"Processed as expected"? What were you expecting, please?

Your agent is right. Your application will continue to be processed. What the remaining processing time is likely to be is anyone's guess at the moment. All that we can do is to give the new system at least a month, maybe two, to "bed in" and settle down so that we can then see what sort of pattern develops.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived