Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Guest Gollywobbler
Reply received from Skilled Migration Program in Melbourne:

"We advise applications received prior to any changes on 12 January 2009 will be assessed under existing guidelines."

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for the update.

I don't suppose you were able to get them to leak their new List as well, were you? Loadsapeople would pay you loadsadosh to get hold of an advance copy of the new list.... :yes:

Cheers

Gill

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cuba267

Hi Gill

If we did apply for (and get) state sponsorship, what would actually happen once we sent in the reference number to ASPC? Would the pull our 175 application, put 176 on it and put it into a different 'more speedy' pile? We're not necessarily in a mad panic to go to oz just yet - our main concern would be that our 175 application (occupation was on MODL when we applied in Oct 08) would be rejected or just never heard. So would it be good to jump ship?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

If we did apply for (and get) state sponsorship, what would actually happen once we sent in the reference number to ASPC? Would the pull our 175 application, put 176 on it and put it into a different 'more speedy' pile? We're not necessarily in a mad panic to go to oz just yet - our main concern would be that our 175 application (occupation was on MODL when we applied in Oct 08) would be rejected or just never heard. So would it be good to jump ship?

Hi Cuba

The application would not be rejected out of hand and DIAC never just leave a visa application undecided and unresolved.

Technically MODL points are awarded at the time when a decision is made on the visa application. Therefore it is possible that if an occupation comes off the MODL when the new one is published, 15 MODL points would also be lost.

My hunch (but it is only a hunch and I could be wrong) is that the current Minister will direct DIAC to honour MODL points which existing applicants are relying on even if their occupations do not make it onto the new MODL list. However we will not know what he is going to do about this until he actually does it.

If you apply for State Sponsorship and get it, you notify DIAC, the State also notifies DIAC and you can ask DIAC to switch you to the 176 visa instead. If you were to lose your existing MODL points you might be forced to seek State Sponsorship instead.

However the more I see of the sudden emphasis on State Sponsorship, the more I think that this part of the Brave New Idea is going to backfire on the Minister. Civil servants are often not very good at joined up thinking in my observation.

My suspicion is that every State Migration Centre is going to get absolutely swamped by “tactical voters.” Existing applicants who do not want their applications going into a state of limbo instead of being progressed will all apply for State Sponsorship for the 176 visa wherever possible. New applicants would do better to apply for a State Sponsored 176 from the outset. Many of those are also people who, like existing 175 applicants, do not need State backing in order to get themselves enough points. People currently waiting for non-MODL family sponsored visas will also be looking to change to State Sponsorship instead.

I think the State migration centres will be hit so hard that it won’t be long before they tell the Minister, “Your Bright Idea is not working. Because of the sudden demand it is now taking us 4 months to deal with a State Sponsorship application. There is no point in promising fast tracking of the visa application at your end when you have just made the whole thing take longer than ever before because of the totally unreasonable burdens you have lumbered us with. At a fortnight’s notice with 10 days of Bank Holidays plus the peak period for annual leave in Oz happening at the same time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Your ‘fix’ has made the whole thing much slower and much worse, frankly.”

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest AndreanDaz
Hi Andrea

"Processed as expected"? What were you expecting, please?

Your agent is right. Your application will continue to be processed. What the remaining processing time is likely to be is anyone's guess at the moment. All that we can do is to give the new system at least a month, maybe two, to "bed in" and settle down so that we can then see what sort of pattern develops.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

We were expecting our visa to be processed within 6-9 months, but I had thought initially that as oh's trade is on csl that maybe it could have been processed sooner rather than later until I started reading this thread.

Having seen the previous post from Alan Collett you've posted this morning which is reassuringwe have decided to wait and see what happens and will not be rushing out to apply for state sponsorship, well not at this stage anyway.

Thanks

Andrea

Gill/Allan

If I am reading this correctly, regarding the recent replies/post from Allan C, if you have applied for a 175 before 12th Jan 09, even if your occupation is on the new CSL list, your application will be processed under the current criteria ? Does this mean that, for existing applications, even if you decide to switch them to a state sponsored 176 etc, that your processing time will not be shortened as it is going to be processed under the old guidlines. And only new applications (after 12th Jan) will be processed under the new guidlines?

Gill/Allan

If I am reading this correctly, regarding the recent replies/post from Allan C, if you have applied for a 175 before 12th Jan 09, even if your occupation is on the new CSL list, your application will be processed under the current criteria ? Does this mean that, for existing applications, even if you decide to switch them to a state sponsored 176 etc, that your processing time will not be shortened as it is going to be processed under the old guidlines. And only new applications (after 12th Jan) will be processed under the new guidlines?

Unless your visa application had been formally assessed at the end of December (improbable given that your application was submitted in 08/2008) your skilled visa application will be processed under the new processing priorities.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill/Allan

Hi RaT

No - slow down please.

The State Government of Victoria have said that they intend to publish new Lists of the occupations they will consider providing VIC State Sponsorship for.

One of your members has an occupation which is on the VIC List for the 176 visa but might not be on the new List which VIC expect to publish on Monday 12th January. Alan Collett contacted the VIC State Sponsorship people to ask what will happen if someone lodges an application for 176 Sponsorship from VIC during this current week? If an occupation is on VIC's current list but not on its new one, will they still consider sponsoring the person according to the List in force this week?

VIC have confirmed that they will do so.

This has nothing to do with DIAC. It is solely about 176 Spponsorship from Victoria.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill & Allan

Thanks for the replies..I think I overlooked that the 12th Jan date was to do with Vict. In my case I have applied for a 175,( in August) occupation is on the MODL and is also now on the CSL list...I am assuming I do not have a case officer as the status has never changed from the day we submitted it, so will it be assesed on the basis of the new CSL list or not? I understand that the state sponsored and job offers applications will take priority, but in this case as has been said the processing will probably take longer due to other applications swithching to 176. therefore delay applications like mine. I personaly have no intention of changing to a 176 as I would like the freedom to go wherever I can and am not in a rush anyway!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi RaT

You are on the CSL so you are in the new "priority processing" group. I think there is merit in a "tactical" application for State Sponsorship - to convert a non-priority application into a priority one. My own inclination would be to leave well alone when the occupation is on the new CSL anyway.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi all,

I just wanted to give a quick update after speaking to Cheryl our agent on the telephone this morning. I really hope I get this right, and if I don't sorry, but I get baffled with loads of info to take in, so if Cheryl reads this and I am wrong, maybe she will correct me, but I will be brieff, then I should be correct.

So brieffly Cheryl phoned for us to try and get some help with the fact that Tam is on the MODL and CSL list, but also has a job offer in place, on our status page everything apart from meds is showing received. Our police checks are done, and our meds are waiting to be finalised. When Cheryl called she tried to get answers but they couldn't really give her any with this whole system being so new, but what she was advised to do was as soon as our meds came up showing finalised, meaning we were then decission ready, was for Cheryl to call ASPC direct to discuss our situation with the fact Tam has a job waiting for him in Australia and see what happens.

So even though we have not been given a definate answer yet as to if we will be looked at any sooner, at least we were not told out right "NO".

So will just have to keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone waiting.

Take care.

Andi.x

Guest Birdiesinoz

Hi, what Andi is saying is basically right. I called the manager of Region 1 at the ASPC this morning and as expected, the managers were all in a meeting. The lady i spoke to advised that they are in the process of establishing how the files would be distributed and assessed as per the new procedures. She advised that at this stage there was no way of establishing how long applications will take but if someone has an occupation on the CSL & MODL there application should be assessed quicker than under the previous system. I think we need to understand that the system will take a few weeks at least to get into some sort of order and structure and until this time it will be hard to gauge timescales for assessment.

It was suggested, as Andi has said, that if an applicant has a job offer as well as an occupation on the MODL (and or CSL) then a call to the ASPC (once the case is decision ready - i.e. all documents provided, medicals finalised and police clearances provided) to advise them of the situation may result in the case being brought to the attention of the case officers at ASPC for assessment.

No indication of how new applications that come in which are of higher priority processing will effect those already 'in line' was given and again, this was something that was being discussed at the meeting today.

Kind regards

Gill

As you suggest ,I have no intention of changing my application to a 176...my concern as I am sure is shared by others ,is that even though my occupation is on the MODL and CSL list, as I don't appear to have a case officer yet, that my application is going to go one step foward, 2 steps back....due to other higher priority applications ....

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi RaT

I tolally understand - and sympathise with - your frustration. I'm sure that the situation is as Cheryl has described. Most of the ASPC's senior staff will have taken annual leave as well as public holidays over the Christmas & New Year period. They will have left work on Friday 19th Dec - 2 days after the announcement - and today will be their first day back at work.

A change of this significance requires the Directors, senior managers and uncle tom cobley & all in attendance in order to work out how to manage the change efficiently, effectively and in accordance with the Minister's wishes. It will take them the whole of the rest of this week and maybe next week as well to implement whatever they decided at today's meeting. I would not be surprised to see no new contacts from COs for a couple of weeks whilst they get themselves organised and get the new system running.

For the time being, all we can do is sit tight and await further developments.

Best wishes

Gill

Reply received from Skilled Migration Program in Melbourne:

"We advise applications received prior to any changes on 12 January 2009 will be assessed under existing guidelines."

Best regards.

Thanks Alan,

I will speak with my migration agent and get them to apply for the 176 state sponsored this week. At least my skill is listed on the current list, but who knows if it still will be there come 12 January.

Guest Tam-and-Andi
Hi, what Andi is saying is basically right. I called the manager of Region 1 at the ASPC this morning and as expected, the managers were all in a meeting. The lady i spoke to advised that they are in the process of establishing how the files would be distributed and assessed as per the new procedures. She advised that at this stage there was no way of establishing how long applications will take but if someone has an occupation on the CSL & MODL there application should be assessed quicker than under the previous system. I think we need to understand that the system will take a few weeks at least to get into some sort of order and structure and until this time it will be hard to gauge timescales for assessment.

It was suggested, as Andi has said, that if an applicant has a job offer as well as an occupation on the MODL (and or CSL) then a call to the ASPC (once the case is decision ready - i.e. all documents provided, medicals finalised and police clearances provided) to advise them of the situation may result in the case being brought to the attention of the case officers at ASPC for assessment.

No indication of how new applications that come in which are of higher priority processing will effect those already 'in line' was given and again, this was something that was being discussed at the meeting today.

Kind regards

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for making it clearer than I did, but I gave it my best shot.

Like I explained on the phone this morning I get all confused with all the different numbers and letters that are involved with all this and very easily forget things, but I do remember the main things and manage to some how get my point accross, so thank you for putting it accross better, I nearly did it though:wacko:!!!!

Take care, and thanks for everything.

Andi.xx

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for making it clearer than I did, but I gave it my best shot.

Like I explained on the phone this morning I get all confused with all the different numbers and letters that are involved with all this and very easily forget things, but I do remember the main things and manage to some how get my point accross, so thank you for putting it accross better, I nearly did it though:wacko:!!!!

Take care, and thanks for everything.

Andi.xx

Hi Andi

Don't under-estimate yourself. You made an excellent job of relaying the news. It helped to hear from Cheryl as well because she has spoken with the ASPC, and between you two ladies we hope for regular reports asa and when the ASPC need to be contacted about you & Tam, Andi.

Fingers crossed that your meds will clear in the next few days and then everything else can be done really fast.

Hugz

Gill

xx

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks Alan,

I will speak with my migration agent and get them to apply for the 176 state sponsored this week. At least my skill is listed on the current list, but who knows if it still will be there come 12 January.

Hi Zamb

I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

IN the meantime, please be aware that with a State application there is an immense amount of work that the applicant needs to do by him/herself so that your answers will be convincing and persuasive. VIC uses an interactive on-line form so it won't let you move through the document unless you complete the page you are in.

Tasmania produce the list in a form you can read through beforehand, as do some of the others:

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/migration/Tasmanian%20SS%20Application.pdf

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/documents/SS_ApplicationForm.pdf

http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/secure/docs/1139.doc

They know what answers they expect to see, particularly with regard to the cost of living because the relevant officials live there. They tend to know their areas well, too. They know who the well-known local employers are in your line of work. Do you, though, and have you contacted any of them to find out about the work-scene in Melbourne?

This is NOT a job you can delegate to your Agent - you have to tell the Agent what you want him/her to out in several of the sections.

Agents normally require you to prove to the Agent that you will indeed have the capital you say you will have with you when you reach the State concerned.

Which all wastes incredible amounts of time unless you are highly pro-active about it yourself.

Publications and Fact Sheets about Immigration to Melbourne or regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

They expect you to have read, absorbed and understood all the documents on the above link for yourself. Your Agent can't do it for you.

Please get cracking on the VIC State website, my friend.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Zamb

I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

IN the meantime, please be aware that with a State application there is an immense amount of work that the applicant needs to do by him/herself so that your answers will be convincing and persuasive. VIC uses an interactive on-line form so it won't let you move through the document unless you complete the page you are in.

Tasmania produce the list in a form you can read through beforehand, as do some of the others:

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/migration/Tasmanian%20SS%20Application.pdf

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/documents/SS_ApplicationForm.pdf

http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/secure/docs/1139.doc

They know what answers they expect to see, particularly with regard to the cost of living because the relevant officials live there. They tend to know their areas well, too. They know who the well-known local employers are in your line of work. Do you, though, and have you contacted any of them to find out about the work-scene in Melbourne?

This is NOT a job you can delegate to your Agent - you have to tell the Agent what you want him/her to out in several of the sections.

Agents normally require you to prove to the Agent that you will indeed have the capital you say you will have with you when you reach the State concerned.

Which all wastes incredible amounts of time unless you are highly pro-active about it yourself.

Publications and Fact Sheets about Immigration to Melbourne or regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

They expect you to have read, absorbed and understood all the documents on the above link for yourself. Your Agent can't do it for you.

Please get cracking on the VIC State website, my friend.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks for the heads-up, Gill. I guess I have some homework to do then...

This does leave me with one burning question, though - Do they usually ask these questions straight away upon application or only as part of their processing? Just need to know how much time me and the other half have to get "prepared".

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Zamb

No - the application form is the first and only shot that you get at persuading them that you want their help. ALL the research needs to be done before the application is submitted.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Tam-and-Andi
Hi Andi

Don't under-estimate yourself. You made an excellent job of relaying the news. It helped to hear from Cheryl as well because she has spoken with the ASPC, and between you two ladies we hope for regular reports asa and when the ASPC need to be contacted about you & Tam, Andi.

Fingers crossed that your meds will clear in the next few days and then everything else can be done really fast.

Hugz

Gill

xx

Hi Gill,

Thanks yet again for your kind words.

I will definately be keeping all informed as and when I get any more info from Cheryl.

Take care.

Andi.xx

Guest cuba267

Hi Cuba

The application would not be rejected out of hand and DIAC never just leave a visa application undecided and unresolved.

Technically MODL points are awarded at the time when a decision is made on the visa application. Therefore it is possible that if an occupation comes off the MODL when the new one is published, 15 MODL points would also be lost.

My hunch (but it is only a hunch and I could be wrong) is that the current Minister will direct DIAC to honour MODL points which existing applicants are relying on even if their occupations do not make it onto the new MODL list. However we will not know what he is going to do about this until he actually does it.

If you apply for State Sponsorship and get it, you notify DIAC, the State also notifies DIAC and you can ask DIAC to switch you to the 176 visa instead. If you were to lose your existing MODL points you might be forced to seek State Sponsorship instead.

However the more I see of the sudden emphasis on State Sponsorship, the more I think that this part of the Brave New Idea is going to backfire on the Minister. Civil servants are often not very good at joined up thinking in my observation.

My suspicion is that every State Migration Centre is going to get absolutely swamped by “tactical voters.” Existing applicants who do not want their applications going into a state of limbo instead of being progressed will all apply for State Sponsorship for the 176 visa wherever possible. New applicants would do better to apply for a State Sponsored 176 from the outset. Many of those are also people who, like existing 175 applicants, do not need State backing in order to get themselves enough points. People currently waiting for non-MODL family sponsored visas will also be looking to change to State Sponsorship instead.

I think the State migration centres will be hit so hard that it won’t be long before they tell the Minister, “Your Bright Idea is not working. Because of the sudden demand it is now taking us 4 months to deal with a State Sponsorship application. There is no point in promising fast tracking of the visa application at your end when you have just made the whole thing take longer than ever before because of the totally unreasonable burdens you have lumbered us with. At a fortnight’s notice with 10 days of Bank Holidays plus the peak period for annual leave in Oz happening at the same time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Your ‘fix’ has made the whole thing much slower and much worse, frankly.”

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks Gill

Maybe it is a good idea then to move our current application from a 175 to a 176 if we can get State sponsorship..... hmmmmm.

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi Gill, thanks for all your help and advice on fri/sat. This lots keeping you on your toes. I was hoping to go to Brisbane 175 hairdresser. I have a cousin there bless him...he"s told me I"m panicing for nothing. It took him 3 months from start to finish to get a visa in 1976!!! In ya dreams...zzzzzz. And they paid his air fair, how things have changed!!

I"ve gone a head and applied for state sponsorship for WA. I have a cousin there aswell and a friend that flighs out tomorrow....lucky thing. Mentioned these in my application.

My question is, long shot but if things were to sort them selfs out and I could go to Brisbane (my cousin will sponsor me but no point at the moment is there?) and I"ve got state sponsorship from WA would I have to have it?? Say things change again and family sponsor came back good, could I change my mind and visa application again or now I"ve applied to WA do I have to go there?? That"s if they sponsor me. Just hoping I"ve not done the wrong thing. Or living in a dream world, more like it!!! We would like to get to oz sooner rather than later as have a 12 and 9 year old and I don"t want them to be to old when we make the move......you know what teenagers are like!!!

Thanks again for your help Tracey.

Guest nfowley
Hi RaT

I tolally understand - and sympathise with - your frustration. I'm sure that the situation is as Cheryl has described. Most of the ASPC's senior staff will have taken annual leave as well as public holidays over the Christmas & New Year period. They will have left work on Friday 19th Dec - 2 days after the announcement - and today will be their first day back at work.

A change of this significance requires the Directors, senior managers and uncle tom cobley & all in attendance in order to work out how to manage the change efficiently, effectively and in accordance with the Minister's wishes. It will take them the whole of the rest of this week and maybe next week as well to implement whatever they decided at today's meeting. I would not be surprised to see no new contacts from COs for a couple of weeks whilst they get themselves organised and get the new system running.

For the time being, all we can do is sit tight and await further developments.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi,

Would just like to say I'm enjoying following this thread, very informative! We have all our documents in place including meds and police checks for our 175 visa (though we have not included form 80, it doesn't seem to ask for this but is it needed??) so we may try call and say waht you suggest! Though I did call the other night to query my medical as it still said outstanding, but they informed me it had been cleared the screen just isn't updated unless you have a case officer or new information is recieved. I asked when he thought it would be likely that we would get a case officer and he appeared to be checking something and then came back and said they are allocating those who applied in Dec 07 so it'll be about another 10 months for us!!! I hope not!! I think he may have been referring to the automated email that you can get weekly which I don't think is always that accurate. I wasn't brave enough to then say we have everything in place and I on the CSL (nurse) and I have a job offer (though this is with an agency so not sure if they really count that?). I may call again though!!

ps takes so long to get through (on hold for ages) and I bet it's a premium rate number!!!

Good luck everyone and thanks again for all the info!

Guest ronnie_barker

Hi guys

this is a really informative thread for those of us who have taken the plunge and not used a migration agent so don't have the experience to fall back on about the whole system.

we've applied for a 475 visa and loaded everything (police and medicals) in June 2008, we've got state sponsorship from South Australia and i was wondering with all the changes in the process whether we'll be get processes quicker, slower or it won't make a difference as i'm on a 475 and not in a priority trade?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Simon

Archived