cg9456

Hi all,

So my partner and I (both in our late-20s/early30s) are moving over next year after securing permanent visas. We initially decided to go to Melbourne, but after reading pages of complaints about the weather, we are reconsidering it (climate was one factor influencing the move, as we both enjoy warmer climates and this was what I was expecting from Melbourne, at least for half of the year...).

We currently live in Southampton, but are both originally from the north of Scotland. How will we find the Melbourne weather in comparison? I keep reading how it is "cold and grey" for "half the year", and honestly don't think I want to experience any more of that! But when I look at the weather forecast (for what is technically the start of their Spring), the weather looks more like June weather for the UK (a bit up and down but mild). Is this just a complaint from Australians who find Melbourne cold in comparison to other Australian cities, or is it a legitimate complaint? We are considering to go to Sydney instead so any insight would be hugely beneficial from fellow expats!

Thanks.

Melbourne's climate is unique in the world, apparently, because it sits on the edge of a very hot continent, but there's nothing between Melbourne and Antarctica except little Tasmania.  So when the wind comes from the north (inland) it can be blistering hot, but when the wind changes, you can get a freezing blast or pouring rain from the south. 

We do get hot summers but the weather isn't predictable. Besides, the beaches close to the city aren't what you'd think of as Australian beaches, so it's not a particulary outdoorsy city.  I'd say winter is like a British autumn, with grey skies and unpredictable rain. I lived in Sydney for 30 years before moving here. I've had to buy woolly hats, gloves and scarves again (today I went out shopping in my fleece and a beanie).   It is definitely not what you think of as Australian weather!    It suits me because I came to hate Sydney's stinking hot, sticky summers and Melbourne's weather suits me much better.  I do miss the mild, sunny, blue-sky Sydney winters though. 

Is there a reason you're looking at Sydney and Melbourne and nowhere else?  That's a bit like saying you're moving to the UK, but the only two cities worth considering are London and Manchester. Both have eye-wateringly expensive real estate if you want to live in a half-decent suburb.

• Like 3

I think a lot of this falls down to what people have in their mind for what counts as "Australian" weather.  

Melbourne's certainly not going to have the all year round warmth of Queensland, but it will be blissfully free of the humidity: which can be a real killer for some.
At its worst in the average winter, you'll probably end up with four or five nights that just creep sub-zero if you're around the bay area in Melbourne.  Further out, maybe a week to ten days until you get up into the high country (Macedon Ranges, Bright, etc).

I'm originally from Kilmarnock, and I'm out and able to garden all year round: it never freezes.  Yep, have to pop the heating on for a bit over the colder months, but all in all, it still works out a lot cheaper than what I had to pay back in the UK at any point.  And if you're out in the sun even on a winter day, you can normally get by with just a jumper on.  I'm no longer in Melbourne, I'm further out into regional Victoria; but when I was living in Caulfield, I had a perennial crop of capsicum growing on my balcony.  If it's warm enough to keep those plants alive over winter, it's warm enough for me.

You'll need to equip yourself with clothes for all four seasons in Victoria, but for some of us, it's a lovely climate.  Much more Mediterranean than Blighty in climate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Melbourne's climate is unique in the world, apparently, because it sits on the edge of a very hot continent, but there's nothing between Melbourne and Antarctica except little Tasmania.  So when the wind comes from the north (inland) it can be blistering hot, but when the wind changes, you can get a freezing blast or pouring rain from the south. 

We do get hot summers but the weather isn't predictable. Besides, the beaches close to the city aren't what you'd think of as Australian beaches, so it's not a particulary outdoorsy city.  I'd say winter is like a British autumn, with grey skies and unpredictable rain. I lived in Sydney for 30 years before moving here. I've had to buy woolly hats, gloves and scarves again (today I went out shopping in my fleece and a beanie).   It is definitely not what you think of as Australian weather!    It suits me because I came to hate Sydney's stinking hot, sticky summers and Melbourne's weather suits me much better.  I do miss the mild, sunny, blue-sky Sydney winters though. 

Is there a reason you're looking at Sydney and Melbourne and nowhere else?  That's a bit like saying you're moving to the UK, but the only two cities worth considering are London and Manchester. Both have eye-wateringly expensive real estate if you want to live in a half-decent suburb.

How long does winter last, roughly? 

My partner and I really want to have a big city experience (we have both lived in big cities before and want to experience that again). I think maybe the only other option we would consider would be Brisbane, or the Gold Coast (which I know isn't a big city, but it appears to have a high number of visitors to keep it exciting?). As you can see, nothing set in stone yet!

Things will start cooling around end of April.  It'll get properly chill by late May, and spring will generally start to get out of bed late September / early October.

But much like weather patterns right round the world, things have been a little higgledy piggledy in recent years.  

• Like 1

On 23/10/2023 at 20:13, cg9456 said:

My partner and I really want to have a big city experience (we have both lived in big cities before and want to experience that again). I think maybe the only other option we would consider would be Brisbane, or the Gold Coast (which I know isn't a big city, but it appears to have a high number of visitors to keep it exciting?). As you can see, nothing set in stone yet!

If I was you I'd head straight to Brisbane, and if you find it too hot then work your way south. Brisbane has a great city vibe and has really come on in the last few years, and in my opinion only Sydney and Melbourne are superior in that respect. You'll find the cost of accommodation a lot cheaper than in Melbourne too.

As others have said, Melbourne has a perfectly acceptable climate which is far more pleasant than anywhere in the UK, but if your idea of Australian weather is 'Home & Away' then you'll be a bit disappointed. I'm a real weather nerd so my apologies for the following moment of self-indulgence, but here are some comparisons between Southampton and Melbourne, and Melbourne and Porto, Portugal - the latter being the closest I could find in Europe to Melbourne's climate. However, Porto has approximately 2,500hrs sunshine per year compared with Melbourne's 2,200hrs, and Southampton's 1,700hrs. Weatherspark shows a lot more comparisons too, so if you're interested then I've included the links.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/41541~144227/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Southampton-and-Melbourne

image.png.ce4b7975adc892ea27aceaa1b15f4bff.png

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/144227~32397/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Melbourne-and-Porto

image.png.2df5af76c16708a3250a33d42b00bf21.png

• Like 3