Would love to move to Queensland

tina1606

Hello,

me, my husband and and two children aged 6 and 9 would like to move to Queensland at some point. We have't started the visa process yet but we are wondering about one thing. 

We saved up money (£30k) for a mortgage but decided to emigrate instead. So my question is.. is it possible to emigrate without being homeowners first? I asked this because sale of a house would provide a nice chunk of money.

Thanks,

Martina

I wonder just how much you are aware of the reality of moving to Qld?  As noted the process is extremely expensive and cost's in Australia are high. Obtaining a rental will likely prove frustrating and house prices are high. 

I've been looking over the months at QLD myself, and have noted the increased housing costs even out of Brisbane. I wonder if you have visited? Best not be lulled into it being a sort of paradise. There are social issues as anywhere else , but at least you can relax about the buying of a house is not part of the immigration process. 

8 hours ago, tina1606 said:

Hello,

me, my husband and and two children aged 6 and 9 would like to move to Queensland at some point. We have't started the visa process yet but we are wondering about one thing. 

We saved up money (£30k) for a mortgage but decided to emigrate instead. So my question is.. is it possible to emigrate without being homeowners first? I asked this because sale of a house would provide a nice chunk of money.

Thanks,

Martina

You don't need to be a home owner to migrate, many people have made the move and never owned their own home. The big question will be if you get a visa to be able to migrate. Have you had a chat with an agent or looked into visa's?

We have been in QLD 16 years now and moved with 2 small children ( 3 and 8 yrs). It can certainly be tough leaving everything you know behind but for us it was definately worth it. Qld is a great place but does cover a massive area so try to narrow down your search area a little.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

• Like 2

You don’t need to be a home owner to emigrate but you realise though that £30k might be enough towards a deposit in UK, most of that is going to go just getting you to Australia with visas, fares, moving your stuff, getting set up etc and even if you had that much again, it wouldn’t be enough for deposit on a house these days anyway. 

Why do you want to move to Queensland? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

You don’t need to be a home owner to emigrate but you realise though that £30k might be enough towards a deposit in UK, most of that is going to go just getting you to Australia with visas, fares, moving your stuff, getting set up etc and even if you had that much again, it wouldn’t be enough for deposit on a house these days anyway. 

Why do you want to move to Queensland? 

Yeah I would echo this, we have spent way more than that overall!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We have budgeted £40-50k for the move to QLD which includes taking our dogs. We are keeping our house and our equity in the UK for the time being. 

As stated above of course you can move without owning a house but it would probably be helpful for you to check out visa requirements on the immi website (and/or with an agent), house rental and purchase prices and also potential jobs and salaries (use the SEEK app). 

Good luck with it and hope you can make it if that’s what you decide you want. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry E McRae said:

I am from the UK.  I moved to Southport way back in 2011 on my own.  And rented.  I am now in NSW. I want to return to Qld with my 7 year old Autistic child.  He needs a warmer climate.  We need more support services.  I am considering Mackay.  Any suggestions are welcome. 

Interesting choice. Big mining community all over that area, will you be able to get work there? Its also very hard to find rentals up in that region as the mining pushes the prices up.

16 hours ago, Kerry E McRae said:

I am from the UK.  I moved to Southport way back in 2011 on my own.  And rented.  I am now in NSW. I want to return to Qld with my 7 year old Autistic child.  He needs a warmer climate.  We need more support services.  I am considering Mackay.  Any suggestions are welcome. 

Mackay has come on a lot in recent years. It doesn't have quite the infrastructure the GC or SC has but it's a lot more developed than it used to be. There are also some lovely beaches and nice countryside in that region, as well as it being two hours' drive to Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday Islands. If you don't mind it hot then Cairns is also worth considering.

7 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Interesting choice. Big mining community all over that area, will you be able to get work there? Its also very hard to find rentals up in that region as the mining pushes the prices up.

That's true, but it's pretty hard to find rentals just about anywhere in QLD at the moment. Even with the mining boom, rental prices in Mackay are about two thirds of what they are in SEQ so that's a good incentive for moving there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm wondering if Mackay would be big enough to have the kind of support services you're looking for?

Why wouldn't it? Mackay has grown massively over the last few years. Its not a little backwater town in the middle of woop woop ,lol

Kerry may want to contact these guys as a starter point - https://autismqld.com.au/locations/mackay/#:~:text=Located in the coastal eastern,parent and professional education%2C telepractice   There is also a support group on Facebook that could be helpful , it is called Mackay Autism Support Group (facebook links are against site rules so cant provide that sorry).

Cal x

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 22:39, Kerry E McRae said:

Having worked in disability services in regional areas, depending on your child's level of need, I would be careful about the location you choose.

There can be a serious shortage of services in regional towns eg occupational therapy and so long waiting lists. When you move to smaller towns (which I would class as less than 100,000) this also means there are usually only a couple of providers of support services and so if you aren't happy with services often there is no alternative to choose from. 

I worked with families who often ended up moving back to larger towns and cities so that they could get access to the supports their children needed. 

Edited by kmrg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mackay hospital is having a $200m upgrade as the city is constantly growing. Around 10 years ago it had a $600 m upgrade.
the house prices seem very low compared to bigger cities. Where I live is about 50 km NW and it is only a 35-40 minute commute.

Look up Mackay realty.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1