Great night at the SCG

Ausvisitor

16 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Spent last night at the SCG - fantastic atmosphere and the right result.

I feel more attachment to Australia every day I'm here, but sport reminds me that I'm always English

Anyone else find this?

I'll always support Scotland, particularly rugby  ....................  not that they win very often.  😕

9 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I feel more attachment to Australia every day I'm here, but sport reminds me that I'm always English

Anyone else find this?

Spot on.

It would be strange for anyone to change the country they support against their place of birth. in a sporting sense (unless they’ve been here since primary school / early teens or had a bad experience in their homeland ) 

Edited by Wa7

1 hour ago, Wa7 said:

Spot on.

It would be strange for anyone to change the country they support against their place of birth. in a sporting sense

I think it happens more than  you think. Not everyone gets all misty-eyed when they think of "the land of their birth" or their "homeland".  As far as I'm concerned, it's just the place where I happened to be born.  I chose Australia; if I felt nostalgic for my "homeland", I'd go back and live there instead. 

Maybe it makes a difference that I'm not a sports fan and never supported any teams even when I lived in the UK.  I do barrack for Scotland when there's a game on, but if they're playing against Australia then I don't mind who wins. 

10 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Anyone else find this?

Depends whose winning🙂🙃. I’ve not lived in UK for nearly 30 years, so think perhaps I feel less attached than newer immigrants? I follow tennis, though, and have to admit I’m not sure I look how an Australian is doing before a British player, so perhaps deep down you’re right.

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think it happens more than  you think. Not everyone gets all misty-eyed when they think of "the land of their birth" or their "homeland".  As far as I'm concerned, it's just the place where I happened to be born.  I chose Australia; if I felt nostalgic for my "homeland", I'd go back and live there instead. 

Maybe it makes a difference that I'm not a sports fan and never supported any teams even when I lived in the UK.  I do barrack for Scotland when there's a game on, but if they're playing against Australia then I don't mind who wins. 

I don’t suppose you know “how often I think it happens “ ? 
No one needs to get misty - eyed etc to support whoever they support it’s a sport thing and as you say your not interested in sport so you probably won’t get.

12 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Spot on.

It would be strange for anyone to change the country they support against their place of birth. in a sporting sense (unless they’ve been here since primary school / early teens or had a bad experience in their homeland ) 

And how did you come up with this hypothesis?

21 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Spot on.

I only on odd occasions these days support the country of my birth although continue to live in it. I can support numerous countries, depending on the sport and/or the situation.  

9 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I only on odd occasions these days support the country of my birth although continue to live in it. I can support numerous countries, depending on the sport and/or the situation.  

I am one of those odd people who has absolutely zero interest in the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games.  They totally bore me.  I've never sat through an opening/closing ceremony.  I feel no patriotism whatsoever to any country competing.  

On the other hand I am a lifelong supporter of Liverpool FC.  

Can't stand cricket even though my husband and sons have played cricket for years and love going to watch it.

I support Scotland when they play rugby.  Other than that I'm not interested.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2022 at 14:07, Toots said:

I am one of those odd people who has absolutely zero interest in the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games.  They totally bore me.  I've never sat through an opening/closing ceremony.  I feel no patriotism whatsoever to any country competing.  

On the other hand I am a lifelong supporter of Liverpool FC.  

Can't stand cricket even though my husband and sons have played cricket for years and love going to watch it.

I support Scotland when they play rugby.  Other than that I'm not interested.

Only passing interest for me. Do like the Opening and Closing Ceremony though. We went to Optus Stadium here in Perth  to the pub , to soak up the atmosphere outside the stadium when India played South Africa, in the recent T 20 Cricket competition. Tens of thousands of Indians, a number with drums (Bharit Army)  Great atmosphere , just unusual for Perth and worth catching.