Pilbara with family ??

Hudsonsmumxx

13 hours ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Oh wow ! That is hot haha all my family live in Perth so I’ve been in hot weather a lot

Not really, because Perth doesn't get hot weather by Australian standards, and even when it does get warmer days (like 32 degrees), it usually has some sea breezes to make it more comfortable.   It's hard to describe what real hot weather feels like.  You'll be fine because you'll basically live in air conditioning, going from your house to your car to the shops or pub/restaurant and back.  I would feel more worried for your husband having to work in those brutal temperatures outdoors, as it can actually be dangerous to your health.

Like I said, I'm sure your MIL can tell you stories about people who got their residency once sponsored for two years, but that was on an old visa called the 457.  The new 482 visa has only been in existence for 3 years, and that's the one you'd get - so I'd be asking herhow many 482 holders have managed to get permanency under the scheme and how many didn't, or had to go home because they couldn't stand the heat/work. I may be wrong, but I'm sure your in-laws are desperate to get their son out to Australia and might be glossing over the downsides to convince you to come.

On another note - do bear in mind that teenage violence and stabbings are a global thing these days in big cities.  Just last night, there was a teenage brawl and fatal stabbing in Sydney at the Easter Show, and another who died in a separate incident in another part of Sydney. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you from emigrating.  I'm just worried that you may not be doing it for the right reasons.  Both England and Australia have their good points and bad points.  We have members here who love living in Australia (like me) and members who tried it, didn't like it, and have returned to England to settle happily.  Australia has drug problems, violence, and all that stuff just like the UK, it's not a paradise.  Like the UK, how bad those are depends on which city and sometimes which suburb you live in. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Oh wow ! That is hot haha all my family live in Perth so I’ve been in hot weather a lot but don’t fancy being somewhere that gets up to 50 degrees 😕 

tbh I would go anywhere in Australia if it helped me give my boy a better upbringing than the teenage stabbing we encounter in London. My partners dad is seeing a migration officer this week so we’ll see what we can do. I just know this region is crying out for scaffolders and my mother in law works in a high up job in the mines and knows of this getting residency once sponsored for two years if you live in this particular place ( I’m just going by what I’ve been told ) I know it won’t be an easy journey but just wanted some feedback. 

thanks 

I guess nothing prepares one for the extreme Pilbara temperature. I can only relate it to standing by a large hot fire on a super hot day. It is lung busting, hard to breathe hot. I expect the coast may be better (I worked inland) and many seem to like Karratha these days. 

Not sure why you bring stabbings in London up. It is usually gang related . Just how many innocents have been stabbed I wonder ? Although aware it is given a lot of media space. 

But don't deny there are not crime issues in London. How could there not be in a city so big and diverse? I've been broken into five times over a decade and a bit and not living in especially bad areas but Perth is something else. I mean not in your face violence , unless a gathering like NYE or Australia Day of past. It doesn't mean violence is under the radar. Drugs are a very big part of life in Perth. Few people I know will admit it to being any different. (a forum as this seems an exception) We have a major world methamphetamine issue that just gets bigger. I can throw light on a lot about that. But we have had several very serious assaults together with a few stabbings over a relative short period. There are many issues of conflict that can impact on kids. 

Nowhere is perfect of course. Just good to have at least an angle on the bigger picture from another perspective. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I guess nothing prepares one for the extreme Pilbara temperature. I can only relate it to standing by a large hot fire on a super hot day. It is lung busting, hard to breathe hot. I expect the coast may be better (I worked inland) and many seem to like Karratha these days. 

Not sure why you bring stabbings in London up. It is usually gang related . Just how many innocents have been stabbed I wonder ? Although aware it is given a lot of media space. 

But don't deny there are not crime issues in London. How could there not be in a city so big and diverse? I've been broken into five times over a decade and a bit and not living in especially bad areas but Perth is something else. I mean not in your face violence , unless a gathering like NYE or Australia Day of past. It doesn't mean violence is under the radar. Drugs are a very big part of life in Perth. Few people I know will admit it to being any different. (a forum as this seems an exception) We have a major world methamphetamine issue that just gets bigger. I can throw light on a lot about that. But we have had several very serious assaults together with a few stabbings over a relative short period. There are many issues of conflict that can impact on kids. 

Nowhere is perfect of course. Just good to have at least an angle on the bigger picture from another perspective. 

A lot of innocent kids are robbed and stabbed daily in London , not sure when you were last here but it’s not England anymore. I loved my country but if it’s taking me to want to move 24 hours away then it’s bad believe me & I live in a expensive part in south east / Kent. Even here is getting bad. Totally get what you mean by gangs but it’s not just that. 

thanks a lot for your response. Take care x 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

A lot of innocent kids are robbed and stabbed daily in London , not sure when you were last here but it’s not England anymore. I loved my country but if it’s taking me to want to move 24 hours away then it’s bad believe me & I live in a expensive part in south east / Kent. Even here is getting bad. Totally get what you mean by gangs but it’s not just that. 

thanks a lot for your response. Take care x 

I hope Australia lives up to expectations. Some will say Australia is not Australia anymore either. Can't argue that there have been considerable changes here as well. Most not for the better. I live in a good area of Perth which has insurmountable problems around the manufacture of drugs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Bringing a child up in Australia is 1000 times better guys. All my family live there. Thanks for your input 

I will depend on where and which school. Where and which suburb. No where is overly easy bringing up kids I'd say. 

• Like 1

On 11 April 2022 at 06:03, Marisawright said:

What's your view on the rest of @Hudsonsmumxx's post?   She has been told it's a case of putting up with it for 2 or 3 years so they can get residency.  I've mentioned that it's not as cut-and-dried as that, perhaps you could share your experience of that?

It would depend on the visa. But if it is a 482, then far, very far from given. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Actually you’re right. I’d much prefer to bring him up where I live after what I’ve read 😕 Australia has gone down hill ! 
thanks ! 

One of the problems with this forum is the negative nellie pessimists are the one's who jump on every new thread giving their advice to would be migrants.

Don't worry about them as it is far from most people's beliefs about Australia.

• Like 2

I don't think the Pilbara would be the easiest place to relocate to but plenty of people do it for a short while.. Have you tried searching on Google or Facebook, there might be some groups where you can find out more from families actually living there?

• Thanks 1

Thank you good idea ! We’ve decided not to go for Pilbara now due to the heat. My partner got an email from a scaffolding company that they might potentially sponsor him (fingers crossed) 

not sure where yet. Either Melbourne or Perth 

what do you suggest ? We are a young family  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

My partner got an email from a scaffolding company that they might potentially sponsor him (fingers crossed) 

Congratulations, that sounds like a much more practical idea.

I live in Melbourne and love it, but it's horribly expensive to buy a home.  Perth housing is more affordable.  

I'd look at where your family is and go wherever is closer to them.   A lot of Australians don't like Perth because it's too far away from the rest of the country, but if you don't need to visit the Eastern States, that's not going to bother you that much.  

• Thanks 1

If it's sponsorship in WA then remember  to factor in school fees as primary and secondary education is not free for temporary visa holders. It's free in Vic at the moment but for how long - who knows. 

Edited by Quoll

On 12/04/2022 at 00:00, Marisawright said:

Not really, because Perth doesn't get hot weather by Australian standards, and even when it does get warmer days (like 32 degrees), it usually has some sea breezes to make it more comfortable.   It's hard to describe what real hot weather feels like.  You'll be fine because you'll basically live in air conditioning, going from your house to your car to the shops or pub/restaurant and back.  I would feel more worried for your husband having to work in those brutal temperatures outdoors, as it can actually be dangerous to your health.

Like I said, I'm sure your MIL can tell you stories about people who got their residency once sponsored for two years, but that was on an old visa called the 457.  The new 482 visa has only been in existence for 3 years, and that's the one you'd get - so I'd be asking herhow many 482 holders have managed to get permanency under the scheme and how many didn't, or had to go home because they couldn't stand the heat/work. I may be wrong, but I'm sure your in-laws are desperate to get their son out to Australia and might be glossing over the downsides to convince you to come.

On another note - do bear in mind that teenage violence and stabbings are a global thing these days in big cities.  Just last night, there was a teenage brawl and fatal stabbing in Sydney at the Easter Show, and another who died in a separate incident in another part of Sydney. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you from emigrating.  I'm just worried that you may not be doing it for the right reasons.  Both England and Australia have their good points and bad points.  We have members here who love living in Australia (like me) and members who tried it, didn't like it, and have returned to England to settle happily.  Australia has drug problems, violence, and all that stuff just like the UK, it's not a paradise.  Like the UK, how bad those are depends on which city and sometimes which suburb you live in. 

I've done 45 degrees in Perth Marisa. Perth gets pretty damn hot. Not as hot as the north, but a lot hotter than the eastern states, and I did live in Sydney for five years.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

Thank you good idea ! We’ve decided not to go for Pilbara now due to the heat. My partner got an email from a scaffolding company that they might potentially sponsor him (fingers crossed) 

Either. Perth has better beaches. Melbourne has more culture. Melbourne is more expensive from a real estate point of view. Perth is a bit marmite. But Melbourne winters are chilly.

14 hours ago, newjez said:

I've done 45 degrees in Perth Marisa. Perth gets pretty damn hot. Not as hot as the north, but a lot hotter than the eastern states, and I did live in Sydney for five years.

I agree. During summer, Perth probably has the most consistently extreme heat of all the state capitals. Darwin may have slightly higher daily maxima, but it doesn't get the 38C+ days that Perth gets.

Obviously it can get a lot hotter inland, but given that 80%+ of Australia's population live on the coast, it is reasonable to say that Perth is hot by the standards that most Australians experience.

The nearest contender for extreme summer heat in the state capitals is probably Adelaide, which has a similar Mediterranean climate, but even that city record summer maxima c. 2-3 degrees lower than Perth. 

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DIG85 said:

I agree. During summer, Perth probably has the most consistently extreme heat of all the state capitals. Darwin may have slightly higher daily maxima, but it doesn't get the 38C+ days that Perth gets.

Obviously it can get a lot hotter inland, but given that 80%+ of Australia's population live on the coast, it is reasonable to say that Perth is hot by the standards that most Australians experience.

The nearest contender for extreme summer heat in the state capitals is probably Adelaide, which has a similar Mediterranean climate, but even that city record summer maxima c. 2-3 degrees lower than Perth. 

We had three summers in Perth and some days it reached 40C but most days it hovered around the lower 30s.  Then we moved to Sydney and I found (until I got used to it) the humid Sydney summers harder to cope with.  I wouldn't survive in Darwin or Qld   ............................  well I could but I would hate it.  We also, a lot of years ago had a 40C Christmas day in Melbourne.

18 hours ago, newjez said:

32 degrees in Perth is quite a pleasant temperature these days, the last few summers have been stinking hot. This summer we had 13 days above 40 degrees.