Travel to Oz

Waldo

Guys,

Can my wife who is an Australian citizen, travel back to Brisbane without being double jabbed? Can she get on the flight? Emirates? Does she have to quarantine? 
Everything I’ve read is “yes” to all those questions but she is really reluctant to get the jab and we need to move back home to Australia

TIA

Yes she will need to be fully vaccinated to travel.

Obviously her decision doesn't just put her own life at risk but she would be placing all the airport workers, airline staff and fellow travellers at risk too. So that is the reason for the regulations.

If she can get a medical exemption that may be a way around it for her. But I hope these are genuine and not very easy to obtain.

Edited by Parley

There may be new vaccines coming up soon, I believe Novovax is about to arrive - it is more traditional if it is the highly experimental gene therapy which is deterring her  Covax19 would be even better if it can get off the ground but Pfizer and Johnson&Johnson like to keep their profit margins up. She will, of course be of no risk to anyone except herself if she is uninfected and unvaccinated (but you will get the usual "putting everyone's lives at risk" mantra - there is a general conception that unvaccinated=infected which is, of course erroneous).  However, I think airlines do require vaccination.

Each state has its own regulations about what you can and cannot do as a vaccinated person.  There's little difference in ACT for example but Vic is very draconian and it will be interesting to see whether NSW eases off after its big Omicron bomb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Guys,

Can my wife who is an Australian citizen, travel back to Brisbane without being double jabbed? Can she get on the flight? Emirates? Does she have to quarantine? 
Everything I’ve read is “yes” to all those questions but she is really reluctant to get the jab and we need to move back home to Australia

Unless she has a medical exemption then there's no chance she can get in without being double jabbed, sorry.  No point in debating the rights or wrongs, it's the law and that's that.

22 minutes ago, Quoll said:

There may be new vaccines coming up soon, I believe Novovax is about to arrive - it is more traditional if it is the highly experimental gene therapy which is deterring her  Covax19 would be even better if it can get off the ground but Pfizer and Johnson&Johnson like to keep their profit margins up. She will, of course be of no risk to anyone except herself if she is uninfected and unvaccinated (but you will get the usual "putting everyone's lives at risk" mantra - there is a general conception that unvaccinated=infected which is, of course erroneous).  However, I think airlines do require vaccination.

Each state has its own regulations about what you can and cannot do as a vaccinated person.  There's little difference in ACT for example but Vic is very draconian and it will be interesting to see whether NSW eases off after its big Omicron bomb.

How long do you think an unvaccinated uninfected person would remain uninfected while moving around airports and travelling internationally? An hour? 2 hours?

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

How long do you think an unvaccinated uninfected person would remain uninfected while moving around airports and travelling internationally? An hour? 2 hours?

Equally, how long do you think a VACCINATED uninfected person would remain uninfected while moving around airports and travelling internationally? An hour? 2 hours?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

Probably about the same as a vaccinated uninfected person. You do know that vaccination neither stops you getting it nor passing it on. OTOH they may have a fantastic immune system which would stop them getting it, you never can tell.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peach said:

Equally, how long do you think a VACCINATED uninfected person would remain uninfected while moving around airports and travelling internationally? An hour? 2 hours?

Too early for data on Omicron but for Delta transmissibility in studies was 25% vaccinated and 38% unvaccinated. 

source: The Lancet 

23 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Probably about the same as a vaccinated uninfected person. You do know that vaccination neither stops you getting it nor passing it on. OTOH they may have a fantastic immune system which would stop them getting it, you never can tell.

That's total garbage, if that was the case all vaccines would be pointless, the vaccine makes if far more unlikely that you would catch the virus.

Why does the 'vaccination neither stops you getting it nor passing it on' mantra keep getting spouted, the fact is being vaccinated can stop you getting it, being unvaccinated can't.

To over simplify it, if 100 unvaccinated people were in a room with one infected person 90 would catch the virus. In a room of vaccinated people less than 10 would become infected and get it less severely. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Guys,

TIA

Rules vary by state but typically there is a small allotment for unvaccinated per week. Two weeks quarantine. 

your challenge will be airlines. They change their rules frequently. Right now I believe Qatar and Emirates will fly unvaccinated 

45 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Both statements are inaccurate.

Vaccination does not stop you getting Covid or passing it on, but it does REDUCE the risk of doing both. 

If you have never had Covid, your immune system has NO natural immunity to it. None.  Nada.  It cannot, because the human immune system develops immunity by learning, and none of us had never encountered anything like Covid before.  That's why it's called a "novel" virus and why it's caused a pandemic.  Maybe you remember the story of the conquistadors arriving in the New World and wiping out the Aztecs and the Maya, because their immune systems had never encountered anything like smallpox and therefore they had no natural immunity to it.  Same thing.

If you are healthy with a robust immune system, you can fight off the worst effects of Covid, unless you are unlucky and have such a strong immune system that it over-reacts and causes a cytokine storm.  That is why young, healthy people sometimes die of Covid, because their immune system is too good, in a way. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Quoll said:

the highly experimental gene therapy

This is not a true statement. By all means choose not to have a particular vaccine and advocate for that, but please don’t share misinformation while doing so.

mRNA vaccines are not gene therapy - gene therapy Involves making changes to a persons DNA. mRNA vaccines do not/can not enter a cell nucleus (which houses DNA) and therefore cannot alter DNA in any way (nor are they designed to do so).

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 7

On 23/12/2021 at 18:32, MacGyver said:

This is not a true statement. By all means choose not to have a particular vaccine and advocate for that, but please don’t share misinformation while doing so.

mRNA vaccines are not gene therapy - gene therapy Involves making changes to a persons DNA. mRNA vaccines do not/can not enter a cell nucleus (which houses DNA) and therefore cannot alter DNA in any way (nor are they designed to do so).

It’s not even that new either.  It’s been in development for years - I decided to do a bit of my own research and found the following scientific article from January 2018 which talks about the promising developments in mRNA vaccine technologies and shows there had been much research into the technology at that point https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243

• Like 2