Chances of getting PR right now? Confused and don't trust migration agents

JamesB23

Hi all - this is my first post.

It's a massive dream of mine to go to and hopefully live in Australia. I've contacted a couple of migration agencies who have both told me different things. The first one I spoke with for about 30 minutes which ultimately ended in disappointment when they said I probably wouldn't be able to migrate under my current circumstances. I've since spoken to a different agency who have worked out my points to be either 70/80 depending on how I perform in my English test. They've quoted me £4200 for the whole process, excluding visa application fee and all my test fees but they have said I may be eligible for a 190 state nomination visa which I was initially pretty excited to hear.

My points were worked out to be this:

• Age: 30 points (will drop to 25 when I turn 33 in July 2022)
  • English language: 10/20 depending on IELTS/PTE performance
  • Qualifications (degree): 15
  • Overseas work experience: 0
  • State sponsorship: 5
  • Partner (n/a): 10

Total: 70/80

I am extremely wary of handing over a very large sum of money to this agency when the first one I contacted said it was not worth applying. I'm hoping if someone here can help and tell me what my chances really are of achieving permanent residency especially in these strange covid times? I'm also aware that I will lose 5 points when I turn 33 which has got me worried about if I'm going to make it at all. My occupation is currently on the priority skills list (software developer) and I have 3 years experience however I am not sure if that helps me at all for the 190 visa.

So if anyone who has been through this before or can offer any advice for my circumstances, or even a recommendation on a good, trustworthy agent that would be so helpful, thank you.

1 hour ago, JamesB23 said:

It's a massive dream of mine to go to and hopefully live in Australia. I've contacted a couple of migration agencies who have both told me different things. The first one I spoke with for about 30 minutes which ultimately ended in disappointment when they said I probably wouldn't be able to migrate under my current circumstances. I've since spoken to a different agency who have worked out my points to be either 70/80 depending on how I perform in my English test. They've quoted me £4200 for the whole process, excluding visa application fee and all my test fees but they have said I may be eligible for a 190 state nomination visa which I was initially pretty excited to hear.

I am extremely wary of handing over a very large sum of money to this agency when the first one I contacted said it was not worth applying. I'm hoping if someone here can help and tell me what my chances really are of achieving permanent residency especially in these strange covid times? I'm also aware that I will lose 5 points when I turn 33 which has got me worried about if I'm going to make it at all. My occupation is currently on the priority skills list (software developer) and I have 3 years experience however I am not sure if that helps me at all for the 190 visa.

So if anyone who has been through this before or can offer any advice for my circumstances, or even a recommendation on a good, trustworthy agent that would be so helpful, thank you.

Software Developer is a priority skill, but it is also a very popular one with applicants, as a result it is a capped pro-rata occupation, meaning only a set amount are allowed from that occupation each year, in ratio with other applicants invited in other areas.

So whilst peopl in none pro-rata careers might get an invite on say 75 points, because of the high amount of software engineers with massive points totals (they tend to be young, highly skilled in English with masters degrees and work experience) you might still get overlooked at 80 points because there are thousands of software engineers with 85 points in the queue already.

Whilst it costs nothing to apply (if you do it yourself), you will still have to pay the assessing body fees (around £1000) just to be able to apply. 

I thought the same about agents when I applied, but in the end I settled on the fact people pay me well to do what I do well, why would I not do the same when it matters to me. My agent was a star, From application for skills assessment to visa grant only 8 months (190 NSW) and I was 44 at the time with 70 points (but not software). I couldn't have done it quick enough to get in under the 45 year old cut-off without an expert guiding me

2 hours ago, JamesB23 said:

It's a massive dream of mine to go to and hopefully live in Australia. I've contacted a couple of migration agencies who have both told me different things. The first one I spoke with for about 30 minutes which ultimately ended in disappointment when they said I probably wouldn't be able to migrate under my current circumstances. I've since spoken to a different agency who have worked out my points to be either 70/80 depending on how I perform in my English test

In that case, they're both giving you the same answer.  With less than 80 points, you don't stand any chance of obtaining a 189 visa. Currently you need 95 to 100 points.

You may be able to get a 190 or 491 visa, but those are offered by individual states, and you will need to check each individual state to see if your occupation is on their list.  If it isn't, then you have no chance.  If it is on the list, then you still need a good agent because they know how to craft your applicatoin for the best chance of success.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Gowtham said:

I have 90 points and have my EOI for almost 2 yrs , no invitation yet, I generally dont trust immigration agents, if u spend time reading the website and the application guidlines u can pretty much do their job. If u dont have time then pay for the agent

Many skills assessments are valid for 3 years. When the 2-year validity of an EoI expires and it is automatically removed, it is possible for those who still qualify (and even those who do not) to lodge a further EoI.

3 hours ago, JamesB23 said:

Without relevant work experience, your skilled visa prospects are about zero.

3 minutes ago, wrussell said:

Without relevant work experience, your skilled visa prospects are about zero.

I have 3 years experience in software dev, but was scored 0 by an agent in this category as they remove X number of years to deem me as skilled? Not really sure, but I have 0 point nonetheless. I'm also not sure if this means only work experience in Australia or not, of which I have none. I am very confused!

Just now, Marisawright said:

@JamesB23, I'm curious how you say you've got 3 years' work experience, yet when you calculated your points, you put '0'for overseas work experience?

The points were calculated from the agency I used after I sent them my CV. I have 3 years in software development since graduating in 2018. I was also very confused when I received 0 points and would be grateful for clarification from anyone. Very confused!

1 hour ago, JamesB23 said:

The points were calculated from the agency I used after I sent them my CV. I have 3 years in software development since graduating in 2018. I was also very confused when I received 0 points and would be grateful for clarification from anyone. Very confused!

Which state were you looking at going to? If that state is sponsoring for your occupation then the 190 may be better, same as a 189 but you have to stay in that state for 2yrs.

2 hours ago, JamesB23 said:

I have 3 years experience in software dev, but was scored 0 by an agent in this category as they remove X number of years to deem me as skilled? Not really sure, but I have 0 point nonetheless. I'm also not sure if this means only work experience in Australia or not, of which I have none. I am very confused!

Re reputable agents - make contact with one of the agents that posts on here regularly as they have good reputations and lots of positive feedback over the years from members of the forum. For a small fee they will be able to assess your chances and give specific advice for your situation:

@Raul Senise

@paulhand

@wrussell

@Alan Collett

• Like 4

Just to highlight at the end of October there were just over 4,000 EOI in the queue for Software Engineer that had a points total of 80 or above (7000 in the queue in total).

I don't beleive they make 4,000 189 visa grants a year in this career code, so that already suggests you need to up your points or try the 491 (or a less popular state for a 190)

To put that 4000 number into persepctive, there are only 190 management consultants in the queue with a points total of 80+

Registered Nurses (medical) has less than 200 with 80+ points

Plumbers less than 35 EOI in the queue at any points tally

So you can see whilst Software Engineer is a strong career in demand, the competition is massive

On 30/11/2021 at 09:55, JamesB23 said:

The key word above is "MAY be eligible".

A subclass 190 is by invitation only and has a number of stages. As it requires an invitation, there is no guarantee that you will be invited to apply for a visa, as the goalpost are ever shifting.

Be weary of any business which requests full payment of all stages up front. 

1) Skills assessment

2) Expression of Interest

3) State sponsorship

4) Visa application if invited 

• Like 2

Just to highlight at the end of October there were just over 4,000 EOI in the queue for Software Engineer that had a points total of 80 or above (7000 in the queue in total).
I don't beleive they make 4,000 189 visa grants a year in this career code, so that already suggests you need to up your points or try the 491 (or a less popular state for a 190)

To put that 4000 number into persepctive, there are only 190 management consultants in the queue with a points total of 80+
Registered Nurses (medical) has less than 200 with 80+ points
Plumbers less than 35 EOI in the queue at any points tally

So you can see whilst Software Engineer is a strong career in demand, the competition is massive

The competition may be massive but so is the number of vacancies. We need a serious influx of these skills into Australia right now

But that's not going to hlep unless the government increases the visa quota - will they?

That would require some modicum of intelligence and forward planning, two things which the current government have none of
Something needs to be done though, vacancy rates are through the roof and candidates are asking for ridiculous salaries, none of which is sustainable
I’m sure this applies to many skilled occupations at the moment