Agent Fees

TheBs

Not sure I've posted in the right section,

We've gone to a few agents and the fees really vary, both MARA accredited, one was from this site.

One has quoted £1080 pound sterling  to do initial searches and then once visa selected the whole process including fees estimate a further £3-5000

The other has quoted $300 Aus dollars to do initial checks and searches but can't give me a price for there after as it depends on what visa option we go for! 

I feel more drawn to the one who's open with prices as the other I feel will sting me with a massive charge once commited, that's quite a difference in price though it's almost non comparable.

Does anyone mind sharing what their agent fees were, and whether there were hidden extras etc?

I really struggled to find an agent for my 887 visa. Contacted a few. Some didn't want to do take it on and others didn't even reply.

When I was doing my 489 it seemed much easier. People gave me a quote right there and then. It's a shame the person who did my 489 visa is no longer an agent.

In the end I applied for the 887 alone.

The first one sounds like you might get stuff for the visa cost on top of whatever they're quoting later.

The second one sounds much more realistic though they could have quoted you the prices of all the visa options you have but depending on how many options you have that could get confusing. 

Your best bet would be to go through the agents on this forum that Marissa mentioned above and go with who you feel fits you best.

The agents on this forum recommendation come so via positive experiences from forum users and are active here as well as being MARA registered.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NatalieB said:

Purely out of interest, do the majority of people tend to use agents?

We applied to NZ over 10 years ago and did the application process ourselves without an agent, it seems such a big expense although if your situation is complicated I can see the benefits.

The immigration department is unforgiving:  if you make one little mistake in the application, they don't come back and ask, "did you mean.....", it's just an automatic rejection. That's unreasonably tough, because the rules change every year and the published information doesn't always give the whole story, so it's easy to make a mistake out of ignorance.

The problem is that the rules change all the time, and the published information isn't always clear.  MARA registered agents get briefings direct from Immi so they have more understanding. 

On 04/09/2021 at 08:00, TheBs said:

as the other I feel will sting me with a massive charge once commited

On 04/09/2021 at 08:14, TheBs said:

One of them was Andre Burger x

@TheBs 

I am not sure exactly which enquiry you were as I receive many requests for assessments.

The reason that I cannot advise the cost before assessing your specific situation is that each visa has different requirements and costs. Even within the same visa, there are different costs depending on the situation.

As an example:

A subclass 189 visa requires a skills assessment, an expression of interest and a visa application if invited.

A subclass 190 visa requires a skills assessment, an expression of interest, a State application if invited and a visa application if invited. Each State has different requirements and costs.

A 491 visa requires a skills assessment, an expression of interest, a State application if invited and a visa application if invited. Each State has different requirements and costs which are different to the 190 visa requirements.

A subclass 186 requires a nomination application (where Training Costs will vary depending on the business) a skills assessment and a visa application.

Further each assessing Authority has different costs and requirements.

There are potentially other visa all with different requirement and costs. 

Even for a partner visa the costs will vary depending on many factors which will determine the amount of work involved.

Visa lodgement fees are different for each visa and depend on the number and age of applicants.

I deal with applicants almost weekly who come to me as they have been taken advantage of, misled and miss quoted. 

I just had to deal with a poor soul who was told by a so called overseas Agent that their occupation was in high demand in Australia, when in reality their occupation was on the short term list.

So please don't make accusations on a Public forum where I have assisted many for free, for years, that I will "sting you with massive charges". I have never been accused of this in over 15 years as an Agent and thousands of successful application.

If you want a one size fits all price based on no assessment of your specific situation, feel free to do so, but don't disparage me because I tried to do the right thing by you.

• Like 10

Years ago I represented a client who wanted to apply for skilled migration as a medical practitioner. By the time he had paid for an  English language test and a temporary visa to sit the mandatory $5000 examination in Australia, travel, accommodation, loss of income and other ancillary costs, including my modest fee, the skills assessment alone would have cost him about $15000. His wife worked for him for 24 hours a week as a Medical Laboratory Technical Officer and her skills assessment fee was about $300.  

One complication was that the wife had completed most of her university studies at an institution that was not recognised at a qualifying level, but she had transferred to a qualified institution for her last year, so her qualification was conferred by a recognised institution. I was able to get her positively assessed.

In due course The Immigration Department (whatever they called themselves at the time) phoned the good doctor to confirm the employment statement he had written and he told them his wife was working 18 hours a week, not 24. This was quite true. After the visa application was lodged the wife had undertaken a part time lecturing appointment and she had reduced the hours she worked for her  husband. 18 < 20 so there was a problem, dealt with by affidavits, salary statements and other financial records.  From my service agreement:

Let us know about any changes to your circumstances that might affect your application, for examples, a change of civil status, a change in your family composition, or a change of employment...I state this and similar in the WHAT YOU MUST DO clauses!

My total fee for completing this obstacle course from beginning to visa grants was $1600; GST free.  I could offer many more examples of pushing the proverbial uphill. 

When prospective applicants give me partial information and want a quote I let them know what else I need to see, often a completed assessment form for a spouse, and I let them know how much it will cost them for me to undertake a full assessment of their prospects.

• Like 1

Hi

just looking for some advice if that’s ok. I signed up with a company called Migrate Me. They lodged my parent visa just over three years ago, my son is a resident in Australia.

However, I can no longer get hold of them, no reply to emails and their phone numbers are no longer working.

just wanted to ask has anyone used them or heard of them. I did some research about them today and have been told they are no longer trading…I’m so upset and don’t know what to do or if there is anything I can do.

Amanda

49 minutes ago, Amanda.law said:

just looking for some advice if that’s ok. I signed up with a company called Migrate Me. They lodged my parent visa just over three years ago....

just wanted to ask has anyone used them or heard of them. I did some research about them today and have been told they are no longer trading…I’m so upset and don’t know what to do or if there is anything I can do.

Amanda

Your parent visa is lodged.  Your agent going out of business doesn't affect that.  The Department of Immigration just needs to know who to contact when they eventually start processing your application (which won't be for another 4 or 5 years).

I am not sure if you're allowed to look after it yourself, or if you need to appoint another agent.  I'm going to tag a good agent, @paulhand, to join the conversation.  He'll be able to advise you.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi paul

Thank you for answering, very kind of you and you have put my mind at rest. Ive just messaged my son in Sydney, he said he will contact them today. 
my visa is the  subclass 173..it was lodged in May 2018 so it’s 3 years now…is it really another 4 or 5 years waiting.

also I’ve just changed my address will my son be able to tell them

Thanks again Paul for your help 

Amanda x

Just now, Amanda.law said:

Hi paul

Thank you for answering, very kind of you and you have put my mind at rest. Ive just messaged my son in Sydney, he said he will contact them today. 
my visa is the  subclass 173..it was lodged in May 2018 so it’s 3 years now…is it really another 4 or 5 years waiting.

also I’ve just changed my address will my son be able to tell them

Thanks again Paul for your help 

Amanda x

Sorry it’s the agent called Paul….

Thank you Paul

sorry to hassle you but I’ve just spoke to my son and his lawyer said that the agent that was acting for me has to sign the 956 form for a withdrawal of them as my agent…but I can’t get hold of them, it’s like they have gone underground so I can’t get them to sign the form

2 minutes ago, Amanda.law said:

Thank you Paul

sorry to hassle you but I’ve just spoke to my son and his lawyer said that the agent that was acting for me has to sign the 956 form for a withdrawal of them as my agent…but I can’t get hold of them, it’s like they have gone underground so I can’t get them to sign the form

I'm not sure why he has one but , if you son already has a "lawyer" involved in this then surely that lawyer can handle this? That is what they are being paid for.