Melbourne or perthshire(Scotland)

Barryinmelbourne

Hi there ..I’ll make this story short,the long version is very long ..I came to Melbourne as a 16 boy (1999)to live with my dad who had emigrated to Melbourne years previous ..my dad has since passed and I now have no family in oz. my wife is Aussie born and bred , she has been to Scotland multiple times and loves it .she says she would happily go home with me ..however as much as I feel I need to go home to my family I can’t imagine how my wife will be/cope ...I’m very worried I will be putting her in the exact position I am currently in ..does anyone else have this worry about going back ??

She seems to think she’s strong enough to give it a go, she may feel differently once she’s there or she might be like a pig in muck. She obviously knows what it means to you and is prepared to support you. If I were you I’d go and buy  a lottery ticket, many are not so lucky!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barryinmelbourne said:

Hi there ..I’ll make this story short,the long version is very long ..I came to Melbourne as a 16 boy (1999)to live with my dad who had emigrated to Melbourne years previous ..my dad has since passed and I now have no family in oz. my wife is Aussie born and bred , she has been to Scotland multiple times and loves it .she says she would happily go home with me ..however as much as I feel I need to go home to my family I can’t imagine how my wife will be/cope ...I’m very worried I will be putting her in the exact position I am currently in ..does anyone else have this worry about going back ??

Don't assume that just because she's Australian, she'll feel homesick for Australia. 

Some people feel a very deep connection to their homeland.  It sounds as though you are one of them.  You may find it hard to believe, but some people simply don't feel that way.  If your wife is keen to go with you, then I'd say she's one of those people who just doesn't feel it.  Provided she likes the lifestyle, she'll be perfectly happy.    

I'm like your wife. I know some people feel a strong pull to their home country, but I will never ever understand it, because I've never felt it in my life.  

I'd say, don't try to second-guess how your wife feels.  She's an adult and she's entitled to make her own decisions, it's not up to you to decide how she should feel or what she should do.   If she wants to do it, go for it.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Don't assume that just because she's Australian, she'll feel homesick for Australia. 

Some people feel a very deep connection to their homeland.  It sounds as though you are one of them.  You may find it hard to believe, but some people simply don't feel that way.  If your wife is keen to go with you, then I'd say she's one of those people who just doesn't feel it.  Provided she likes the lifestyle, she'll be perfectly happy.    

I'm like your wife. I know some people feel a strong pull to their home country, but I will never ever understand it, because I've never felt it in my life.  

I'd say, don't try to second-guess how your wife feels.  She's an adult and she's entitled to make her own decisions, it's not up to you to decide how she should feel or what she should do.   If she wants to do it, go for it.

You can be homesick for a place or for people. But you will never know until you try it. You can't predict how you will react. I was in Fiji with my wife before we were married. Absolutely loved the place. Our flights were different, and she left before me. I was there for three days by myself and hated it. The people often make the place.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I moved from Sydney to Perth & Kinross in 2017 - hands down the very best thing I've ever done! Things are a bit difficult here at the minute, but we've not been hit by Covid as badly as most other places in the UK, and hopefully things are starting to look a bit brighter. We'd not lived in this area before, but chose it partly because my (soon to be ex) husband had been offered a job, and because we didn't want to move back to anything, but rather on for another adventure. Despite Coronavirus, I've managed to retrain for a new career and find a new job, kids are happy and settled (although of course not at school at the minute), and I've made lots of friends, which is something that I found quite hard in Aus. I never really missed family, we weren't close, but I was very homesick for the UK, and I am beyond relieved that we moved back before my marriage went down the pan - I can't even think about how awful things would have been if we'd separated there and he'd not give his permission for me to return to the UK with the kids.

In summary - life is good here in rural Perth & Kinross, and I'm really happy I took that leap of faith!

• Like 1