Costing

Hi all, I was just hoping to get some ballpark figures for the big move - from agent fees to flights to transporting possessions. I know £30,000 gets thrown around quite a lot and I just wondered how accurate this is? Have you found it to be much more/less? We will be transporting two cats with us so I know that will add a couple of extra grand on. If anyone who has recently made the move could post a rough estimate of your total cost including the following i'd really appreciate it:

• Agent fees
  • Tests and medicals
  • Visa
  • Transport
  • Registration
  • 3 months rent and a bond
  • First month in an Air BnB
  • Anything else

Thanks again 🙂

What you need is an excel model!  I have everything in mine, but then again I do think in Excel, and usually have about 20 open for work at any one time.

You first three are going to vary depending on the visa and agent.  Most agents will give you a gree consult and that would include a cost estimate.

For transport use kayak or google flights;

Registration depends on your profession

Rent and bond depend on where and what you are renting - an apartment would be way different to a house - checkout realestate.co.au 

6 hours ago, Wannabeaussieguyandgal said:

Hi all, I was just hoping to get some ballpark figures for the big move - from agent fees to flights to transporting possessions. I know £30,000 gets thrown around quite a lot and I just wondered how accurate this is? Have you found it to be much more/less? We will be transporting two cats with us so I know that will add a couple of extra grand on. If anyone who has recently made the move could post a rough estimate of your total cost including the following i'd really appreciate it:

• Agent fees
  • Tests and medicals
  • Visa
  • Transport
  • Registration
  • 3 months rent and a bond
  • First month in an Air BnB
  • Anything else

Thanks again 🙂

S'truth, mate! All in for me was £10 and that included rail fare from British West Bradford to Southampton, equivalent to 1 week's wages

But that was 1963.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 3

Is a car included in transportation - either buying/renting or both?

Changing license over

Food/bills (especially if you're not in jobs right away)

School fees (if you have children), uniforms, books

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What you need is an excel model!  I have everything in mine, but then again I do think in Excel, and usually have about 20 open for work at any one time.

You first three are going to vary depending on the visa and agent.  Most agents will give you a gree consult and that would include a cost estimate.

For transport use kayak or google flights;

Registration depends on your profession

Rent and bond depend on where and what you are renting - an apartment would be way different to a house - checkout realestate.co.au 

Ah well that suits me down to the ground because I love an excel spreadsheet! Thanks for the input! 

45 minutes ago, ali said:

Is a car included in transportation - either buying/renting or both?

Changing license over

Food/bills (especially if you're not in jobs right away)

School fees (if you have children), uniforms, books

Yep all of those things (well, we don't have kids but I suppose it would be worth including for those that do) 

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

S'truth, mate! All in for me was £10 and that included rail fare from British West Bradford to Southampton, equivalent to 1 week's wages

But that was 1963.

Cheers, Bobj.

If only I could nip back to 25 years prior to my birth haha

Edited by Wannabeaussieguyandgal
Missed a word
  • Haha 2

If you have two cats then I think the cost is more than a couple of grand extra.  Their transport costs are usually a lot more than humans' !

You haven't mentioned household goods or shipping. Long-term rentals in Australia are unfurnished, apart from a cooker.  You may get a dishwasher and tumble dryer included, you may not.   You'll need everything - furniture, appliances, TV and stereo, bedlinen, towels, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, etc,  And remember - you're going to have to buy the whole lot in the space of a week or two, when you're already coping with a new environment and trying to get jobs (or already working).   

I recommend doing a trial shop at Australian retailers like https://www.harveynorman.com.au/https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/http://ikea.com.au/.   Don't just do the big stuff - you wont be able to do that when you arrive!   Look around your house and really think about what you'll need.  "Add to basket" everything you can think of, then see how much it amounts to.  One thing to look out for - with furniture, a lot of stores now have a six-week lead time because it's all shipped from China as needed.  So you may have to settle for what they have in stock, even if you don't much like it.  

Then look into the cost of a Movecube.

43 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you have two cats then I think the cost is more than a couple of grand extra.  Their transport costs are usually a lot more than humans' !

You haven't mentioned household goods or shipping. Long-term rentals in Australia are unfurnished, apart from a cooker.  You may get a dishwasher and tumble dryer included, you may not.   You'll need everything - furniture, appliances, TV and stereo, bedlinen, towels, pots and pans, crockery, cutlery, etc,  And remember - you're going to have to buy the whole lot in the space of a week or two, when you're already coping with a new environment and trying to get jobs (or already working).   

I recommend doing a trial shop at Australian retailers like https://www.harveynorman.com.au/https://www.petersofkensington.com.au/http://ikea.com.au/.   Don't just do the big stuff - you wont be able to do that when you arrive!   Look around your house and really think about what you'll need.  "Add to basket" everything you can think of, then see how much it amounts to.  One thing to look out for - with furniture, a lot of stores now have a six-week lead time because it's all shipped from China as needed.  So you may have to settle for what they have in stock, even if you don't much like it.  

Then look into the cost of a Movecube.

Haha yeah we are reserving a good few grand for the cats. We plan on bringing enough cash that we won't have to bring barely anything from home other than the stuff we really want to keep. This is why I know the 30000 seems incredibly low

12 minutes ago, Wannabeaussieguyandgal said:

Haha yeah we are reserving a good few grand for the cats. We plan on bringing enough cash that we won't have to bring barely anything from home other than the stuff we really want to keep. 

If you've got no kids, then that's a manageable strategy, because you can buy the bare minimum, "camp" in your new place and buy furniture gradually as you go along.   

I still recommend doing that trial shop, though.   Prices in Australia are not the same and not all brands are available.  Also, if it's been a while since you kitted out your kitchen, you might be shocked how much prices have gone up (I'm still annoyed that I didn't keep my Le Creuset pots and pans as replacing them cost about three times as much).  

I also recommend you look at the Movecube - perhaps the smallest one, if you dont have much to ship.  It's cheaper than shipping a few individual boxes.  

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you've got no kids, then that's a manageable strategy, because you can buy the bare minimum, "camp" in your new place and buy furniture gradually as you go along.   

I still recommend doing that trial shop, though.   Prices in Australia are not the same and not all brands are available.  Also, if it's been a while since you kitted out your kitchen, you might be shocked how much prices have gone up (I'm still annoyed that I didn't keep my Le Creuset pots and pans as replacing them cost about three times as much).  

I also recommend you look at the Movecube - perhaps the smallest one, if you dont have much to ship.  It's cheaper than shipping a few individual boxes.  

I love the idea of "camping out" in our new place! If it were up to me I'd have a bed, sofa, white goods and a wardrobe - nothing more! I like clinical and empty! 

It does depend on the situation, but £30k is a good average in “normal” times. However, we are not in normal times and so it is hard to say. The biggest cost is living expenses until you find a job. Normally, I would advise someone to have enough cash to be able to live on for at least 3 months. But, these are very different times. The world, including Australia is going to be in recession. A severe one. So that needs to be factored in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It does depend on the situation, but £30k is a good average in “normal” times. However, we are not in normal times and so it is hard to say. The biggest cost is living expenses until you find a job. Normally, I would advise someone to have enough cash to be able to live on for at least 3 months. But, these are very different times. The world, including Australia is going to be in recession. A severe one. So that needs to be factored in. 

Luckily we're at the very start of our journey so there isn't a huge rush for us,  it I suppose it is something to bear in mind

Cost so far for a family of 4:

2 x IELTS =£320

1 x Skill assessment  = £1600

SA Eoi = £100

Medicals for family = £800 (Adults £320)

Visas for family = £4600 (Adults £1800)

Movecube large = £1600 incl insurance

Flights = £1840

5 weeks Airbnb = £1600

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lavers said:

2 x IELTS =£320

SA Eoi = £100

Flights = £1840

5 weeks Airbnb = £1600

The biggest costs are yet to come...

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

2 x IELTS =£320

SA Eoi = £100

Flights = £1840

5 weeks Airbnb = £1600

This is amazing, thank you for taking the time to do it 

7 minutes ago, Wannabeaussieguyandgal said:

This is amazing, thank you for taking the time to do it 

No problem at all but as Marisa says we still have plenty to get like furniture, car etc.

I've also factored in me not working for a few months as I want a break for abit.

All the above costs have gone slightly but the exchange rate is better at the minute so that will offset some of it.

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

No problem at all but as Marisa says we still have plenty to get like furniture, car etc.

I've also factored in me not working for a few months as I want a break for abit.

All the above costs have gone slightly but the exchange rate is better at the minute so that will offset some of it.

It's a great starting point! 

£30,000 - 35,000 I would recommend for everything.

Rental places only seem to come with an oven and sometimes a dishwasher from what we found. 

We brought a car a couple of weeks after arriving and found manual was a bit cheaper as everyone seems to prefer automatic here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/07/2020 at 07:53, Wannabeaussieguyandgal said:

Haha yeah we are reserving a good few grand for the cats. We plan on bringing enough cash that we won't have to bring barely anything from home other than the stuff we really want to keep. This is why I know the 30000 seems incredibly low

If you have cats there is likely also to be an additional pet bond

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2020 at 22:59, Lavers said:

2 x IELTS =£320

SA Eoi = £100

Flights = £1840

5 weeks Airbnb = £1600

Still missing lots

• 3 weeks later...

Some more costs for you here.

* SA driving licence 1 yr $67 x 2

* Rental bond $3120 (6 weeks rent)

* Rent $520 Per Week

* Weekly shop around $200 family 4

* 10 - 12 weeks wait on furniture

The way I look at it is that your living expenses are the same here as the UK, so the longer your out of work the more money you need in the bank. If you find work quick then you aren't going to need anywhere near £30,000.

Also when renting you dont pay council rates so you only pay gas, electricity, water usage and water supply. The water supply is s set fee from the gov which is $75 a quarter (or that's what I'm told), the estate agent had also said that water usage would be around $200 a quarter.

Edited by Lavers