POST COVID WORK IN THE UK

RoundInCircles

Hello Everybody 🙂  I hope you and your families are safe and well...

A question for those who are still longing to return to the UK and will need to find a job once there...

Have any of you had any thoughts about now NOT returning due to the impact CoronaVirus has had on the unemployment situation there?...Would you be worried about NOT securing employment as soon as you would like?...curious tis all...

Thank you for reading and stay safe 👍

Same situation the world over depends on many variables, what you do, how flexible you are, age experience etc. So no doesn't bother me, Australia has a better support system IMO if you are unemployed and a citizen.

• Like 1

The world is going to have some issues. But, different areas are going to do better than others. My own for example is booming. The companies biggest headache now is that while we were locked down, we had so many orders come in, we don’t how to get them all done. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 14:17, Gary H said:

Same situation the world over depends on many variables, what you do, how flexible you are, age experience etc. So no doesn't bother me, Australia has a better support system IMO if you are unemployed and a citizen.

Thanks so much for your feedback GaryH...much appreciated.

On 07/07/2020 at 14:26, VERYSTORMY said:

The world is going to have some issues. But, different areas are going to do better than others. My own for example is booming. The companies biggest headache now is that while we were locked down, we had so many orders come in, we don’t how to get them all done. 

Glad to hear you're in such a good situation with regards to your employment VERYSTORMY!  Thank you for responding to my Post...much appreciated!

On 5/7/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

A question for those who are still longing to return to the UK and will need to find a job once there...

Have any of you had any thoughts about now NOT returning due to the impact CoronaVirus has had on the unemployment situation there?...Would you be worried about NOT securing employment as soon as you would like?...curious tis all...

Read the online versions of the British papers, even the tabloid press is reporting redundancies,  in the last few weeks we have had around 15,000, the OECD are prophesying somewhere between 10-15% shrinkage in the British economy depending on the effects of covid and whether a FTA is struck with the EU, without that it could be 20% shrinkage.

But just monitor it by the newspaper reports, personally I prefer the Guardian but take your pick.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

This might help inform you of where the UK is at the moment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/09/rishinomics-centralisation-government-local-communities-rishi-sunak-britain-whitehall

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Thank you so much, BacktoDemocracy...much appreciated.  I found your suggestion posted on another thread and followed your advice then.  Many regards...

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 13:51, RoundInCircles said:

Strange one , because as very stormy stated , a lot of people are very busy .

A lot of my mates - plumbers , window fitters - painters and decorators- electricians , are all really busy .

But other people I know , in aviation - pub and restaurant trade are sat at home .

A good mate of mine who is a chef , returned to work at a high end , private restaurant in the area .

They have space for 100 covers - only 5 people turned up .

I was watching a video from a British guy , living in Spain,  who travelled from his home in Madrid to the Costa del sol , last month - eerily quiet .

As I stated in a different post , watch the TIMELESS WATCH CHANNEL on YouTube. 

The guy filmed a fantastic video from Venice during lockdown .

His videos are great anyway , even if you don't like watches 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Strange one , because as very stormy stated , a lot of people are very busy .

A lot of my mates - plumbers , window fitters - painters and decorators- electricians , are all really busy .

But other people I know , in aviation - pub and restaurant trade are sat at home .

A good mate of mine who is a chef , returned to work at a high end , private restaurant in the area .

They have space for 100 covers - only 5 people turned up .

I was watching a video from a British guy , living in Spain,  who travelled from his home in Madrid to the Costa del sol , last month - eerily quiet .

As I stated in a different post , watch the TIMELESS WATCH CHANNEL on YouTube. 

The guy filmed a fantastic video from Venice during lockdown .

His videos are great anyway , even if you don't like watches 

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia.  I have a very supportive family in the UK and they'll do anything they can to help me;  they just want me to get there as soon as possible ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 02:44, RoundInCircles said:

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia.  I have a very supportive family in the UK and they'll do anything they can to help me;  they just want me to get there as soon as possible ❤️ 

My wife has just had a socially distanced get together , in a friends garden in solihull .

These are all moms of the sons and daughters from my youngest daughters school years .

The fathers generally have careers - banking ,one is a health and safety officer .- one is an engineer 

I had a shock , 3 of the 6 fathers have been made redundant , because of the covid crisis .

This is since April, since we last saw them .

I think the fall out across the world is going to be massive .

16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

My wife has just had a socially distanced get together , in a friends garden in solihull .

These are all moms of the sons and daughters from my youngest daughters school years .

The fathers generally have careers - banking ,one is a health and safety officer .- one is an engineer 

I had a shock , 3 of the 6 fathers have been made redundant , because of the covid crisis .

This is since April, since we last saw them .

I think the fall out across the world is going to be massive .

It’s a very sad time for many. One of my best friends has just been told her job is safe for now but 2 weeks ago they were all put on redundancy notice. They cut the workforce by half and lucky for her she was in the better half. She’s still sad though for the others and that could so easily have been her. I’ve heard of many job losses over the months, it’s heartbreaking. I think the hospitality sector is in trouble.  Lots of pubs seem to be making a real effort in their outdoor spaces to entice people to visit. A lovely country pub in the next village to where I live posted on the local Facebook what they’d done. The car park had been turned into socially distanced seating with lovely furniture and lighting. It looked really nice. My friend and I did a 2 mile walk there yesterday early evening.  It was lovely sitting out in the sun having a few drinks but there was just 12 people there the whole time. There’s no way they can even cover the staff wages if that’s what a Saturday night is like for them.  This pub would be packed on a normal Saturday, often with a band playing. 

It seems to me people are either working every hour God sent or nothing at all. I have medical people in the family and they are absolutely flat chat as are the ones who work in the IT industry. Others work in universities and they are being cut back- not my family personally but many of their colleagues. They relied too heavily on overseas students and now they are gone, at least temporarily. The sad thing is that there is no one to have a coffee or meal with to talk things over- all forbidden because of this damn covid. Somehow zoom just doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 11:44, RoundInCircles said:

Thanks for your message Bunbury61 🙂  Yes, we're hearing so many varying stories, aren't we?...some good, some not so good.  As another Poster mentioned, it's the same the world over.  I'll still be heading over to the UK when the world is finally "back to normal"...hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to gain employment...I'm at the "older end" of the scale (57) and have even found it difficult to find suitable work here in Australia. 

Age discrimination in Australia is huge.  When I was in the UK, I was struck by how different it is in the UK.  In Australia, I simply couldn't get work in my field once I hit 55, and since then, I've had only a few low-level, part-time jobs.  Whereas in the UK, I had no trouble getting offered a couple of jobs and I wasn't even looking that hard (I was over 60 already).

The story about work is actually very consistent, it's just a question of what industry you're in. If you're in an "essential" industry, you're flat out.  If you're in online retail, you're flat out.  My sister works for a government department and she's flat out. If you're in one of the industries that's been closed down or limited, you're out of luck. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2020 at 09:33, Marisawright said:

Age discrimination in Australia is huge.  When I was in the UK, I was struck by how different it is in the UK.  In Australia, I simply couldn't get work in my field once I hit 55, and since then, I've had only a few low-level, part-time jobs.  Whereas in the UK, I had no trouble getting offered a couple of jobs and I wasn't even looking that hard (I was over 60 already).

The story about work is actually very consistent, it's just a question of what industry you're in. If you're in an "essential" industry, you're flat out.  If you're in online retail, you're flat out.  My sister works for a government department and she's flat out. If you're in one of the industries that's been closed down or limited, you're out of luck. 

It’s interesting to read this - I have great skills in IT and never struggled to find a job anywhere until I hit my mid 50’s in Brisbane. I was able to travel back to UK for two extended periods where I was offered really interesting project work from my ex employer, but also approached for other roles whilst I was there. Now 58 and back in Brisbane I’m twiddling my thumbs and although I’m really lucky in that I can just about afford not to work, I miss the stimulation and it’s the first time in my life I’m financially dependent on my husband which sits uncomfortably. If I was single, I’d be heading back for a few years’ work but now facing a somewhat dull early retirement. Friends in the UK all seem to have no issue finding work. I’m relieved to know it’s not just me but not sure what to do about it!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Chortlepuss said:

It’s interesting to read this - I have great skills in IT and never struggled to find a job anywhere until I hit my mid 50’s in Brisbane. I was able to travel back to UK for two extended periods where I was offered really interesting project work from my ex employer, but also approached for other roles whilst I was there. Now 58 and back in Brisbane I’m twiddling my thumbs and although I’m really lucky in that I can just about afford not to work, I miss the stimulation and it’s the first time in my life I’m financially dependent on my husband which sits uncomfortably. If I was single, I’d be heading back for a few years’ work but now facing a somewhat dull early retirement. Friends in the UK all seem to have no issue finding work. I’m relieved to know it’s not just me but not sure what to do about it!

Dull early retirement? I finished work last December, from an IT background and wonder how I ever found time to go. Loving it. My wife is 60, part time nurse and would quit tomorrow.

Since we've been married it's our money. Not mine or my wifes so what's in there is available to both of us. Does your hubby give you an allowance or something?

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Dull early retirement? I finished work last December, from an IT background and wonder how I ever found time to go. Loving it. My wife is 60, part time nurse and would quit tomorrow.

Since we've been married it's our money. Not mine or my wifes so what's in there is available to both of us. Does your hubby give you an allowance or something?

Same here.  Always on the go.  Things to do - people to see.   I retired when I was 62 and husband was 65.   

If you enjoy it that’s fab! I must say I didn’t mind so much when I could travel home and visit friends and family. I did love my work, despite the stress and would love something part time. I’ve got the gym, classes and catch up with friends - I  would probably have retired just after 60 anyhow - but feel at a bit of a loose end after so many years of working. Have income from rental property and have spent many years financially supporting others but find it strange without a decent income of my own. I do appreciate that I’m very lucky. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chortlepuss said:

If you enjoy it that’s fab! I must say I didn’t mind so much when I could travel home and visit friends and family. I did love my work, despite the stress and would love something part time. I’ve got the gym, classes and catch up with friends - I  would probably have retired just after 60 anyhow - but feel at a bit of a loose end after so many years of working. Have income from rental property and have spent many years financially supporting others but find it strange without a decent income of my own. I do appreciate that I’m very lucky. 

It is a strange adjustment, isn't it - especially when you just find yourself in that situation, rather than planning for it.   It's now over 10 years since I had a "proper" job and really wish I could've managed another 5 years of work.  It would have made such a difference to my current financial situation.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It is a strange adjustment, isn't it - especially when you just find yourself in that situation, rather than planning for it.   It's now over 10 years since I had a "proper" job and really wish I could've managed another 5 years of work.  It would have made such a difference to my current financial situation.   

True. I had time to ease into it and worked 4 days a week for a year and then 3 days for 6 months or so. 

I didn't mind the work, in IT and software with younger people. I found red tape, meetings, money and time spent on diversity and inclusion and political correctness was getting worse and worse. If you wanted a laugh at work you really had to check the audience in earshot. People find the strangest things to be offended by.

A few years ago it was all about health and physical wellbeing and we used to have a masseur come in once a week and the company would sponsor and pay entry for triathlons, runs etc. Not any more but if you wanted a couple of thou to attend a talk on gender equality no problem.🙄

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 13:20, Marisawright said:

Yes, I suspect that part of it is the frustration of things not going to plan and not being in charge of the situation - if I’d had 2 years more I could have smashed our Aussie mortgage and been very comfortable. It’s a difficult time for many Work wise though, especially the very young and I need to count my blessings 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 17:44, Paul1Perth said:

A few years ago it was all about health and physical wellbeing and we used to have a masseur come in once a week and the company would sponsor and pay entry for triathlons, runs etc. Not any more but if you wanted a couple of thou to attend a talk on gender equality no problem.🙄

Tell me about it.  Although financially I wish I could've worked for longer, I was mentally burnt out and I'm glad to be out of it.  

I was a Facilities Manager (managing office environments for large corporations).  When I started in the field, my job was all about providing a supportive environment for staff to work.  I used to stand up at staff inductions and say, "If I took away everything I provide for you, you'd be sitting on the floor with nothing but your PC. My role is to make the infrastructure work so smoothly, you don't even notice I'm here."

In those days, the "infrastructure" included properly planned office layouts with spacious workstations, plentiful meeting rooms, a gym and social club with regular Friday night drinks (both free).  By the time I stopped work, very few companies still had gyms or social clubs.  Office space was "designed" with scant regard for proper heating or cooling, and had been shrunk down to cramped, shared workstations and non-soundproofed meeting rooms, so people had to meet in coffee shops.  My job had become "spend as little as you get away with". 

What really made me laugh was that in the early days, "staff satisfaction surveys" weren't even thought of.  Once they started removing all the good stuff, HR started issuing these surveys - but strangely, the results were never made public.  Basically, the purpose of the survey wasn't to identify where staff weren't happy - it was to identify where further cuts to services could be made without getting too many complaints.  

• Like 2

I do think people now in their 50’s and 60’s saw the best of workplaces. At American Express there was a fancy social club with subsidised drinks, plus an incredible cheap staff restaurant. Working for banks in the 1980’s and 90’s in IT, we had regular pay reviews, staff bonuses, luncheon vouchers, thriving staff & social including overseas subsidised trips. Six weeks holiday, final salary pensions. Down the pub Friday lunchtime and rarely returned. It wasn’t all fabulous - sexism thrived and we had to fight for parity of pay & opportunity but because skilled workers were in such high demand,  it was very easy to jump ship. You had to put up with ‘personalities’ in the workplace! It really was a world away from today’s short term contracts, ‘self employment’ and fragile working conditions. 

• Like 2

On 03/09/2020 at 07:59, Marisawright said:

Tell me about it.  Although financially I wish I could've worked for longer, I was mentally burnt out and I'm glad to be out of it.  

I was a Facilities Manager (managing office environments for large corporations).  When I started in the field, my job was all about providing a supportive environment for staff to work.  I used to stand up at staff inductions and say, "If I took away everything I provide for you, you'd be sitting on the floor with nothing but your PC. My role is to make the infrastructure work so smoothly, you don't even notice I'm here."

In those days, the "infrastructure" included properly planned office layouts with spacious workstations, plentiful meeting rooms, a gym and social club with regular Friday night drinks (both free).  By the time I stopped work, very few companies still had gyms or social clubs.  Office space was "designed" with scant regard for proper heating or cooling, and had been shrunk down to cramped, shared workstations and non-soundproofed meeting rooms, so people had to meet in coffee shops.  My job had become "spend as little as you get away with". 

What really made me laugh was that in the early days, "staff satisfaction surveys" weren't even thought of.  Once they started removing all the good stuff, HR started issuing these surveys - but strangely, the results were never made public.  Basically, the purpose of the survey wasn't to identify where staff weren't happy - it was to identify where further cuts to services could be made without getting too many complaints.  

Friday night drinks stopped years ago and any work do, like the Christmas party, had to involve a risk assessment. 

No booze allowed at work at all and a compulsory drug test, randomly selected people once a month. Whilst I didn't have a problem with that I thought that bosses were actively encouraged not to have any do that involved drinking and having a laugh. 

I was a project manager myself a few years ago when it was encouraged to let your team know they were doing a good job by having a lunch out with a few drinks. Now it doesn't happen. You wouldn't be allowed back in the building if you had a pint at lunchtime. Office was modern, open plan, so everyone sits round with headphones on staring at their monitor. We moved into a brand new building about 3 years ago and the open plan was supposed to lead to more talking and co-operation. It had the opposite affect.

I think us baby boomers saw the  best of office work environment. I think manual jobs are a lot safer though. I started work as a fitter with the National Coal Board in the UK. Downright dangerous and unhealthy environment. My son is a sparkie on an oil rig and safety is their number one concern now. They get looked after pretty well and the pay is excellent. Much more than I've ever made with a degree in Computer Science.