Hello Guys!

First of all I'd just like to say this forum is great! Super helpful and an amazing resource for someone like me who is really only getting started with this 189 visa malarky.

So, I'm looking for some advice and guidance with my 189 Visa Application. I have carried out plenty of research and feel I've put in the time but still there is that impending doom that all of this will be futile if I just don't meet the criteria once I've lodged my application. Hence, this is why I'd like to know what my chances are with the skills/qualifications/experience that I have.

This is me:

Visa Type - 189

Occupation - Construction Project Manager - ANZSCO 133111

Age - 28

Nationality - Irish

Country of Residence - UK

Education - Honours Degree Mechanical Engineering Level 8 (Irish Uni) & a PRINCE2 in Project Management (Foundation)

Post Grad Experience - 7 Years (Project Management Engineering/Construction)

English Level - Mother Tongue (Due to take the TOEFL test in the coming weeks)

Marital Status - Single

Australian Experience - I've been to Oz twice, first time on a Work/Holiday and second I backpacked along the East Coast. No professional experience however.

At present, my estimated points are:

With Competent English - 65

With Proficient English - 75

With Superior English - 85

Needless to say allot is riding on my english test! 

So, this is where I currently am with my application:

Skills Assessment - Gathered 95% of the required info for the Skills Assessment with VETASSESS

Character - I have my UK Police Certificate (waiting for my Irish Police Certificate)

English Proficiency - TOEFL (scheduled - will revise and hoping I can get the required results for Superior English)

Health Assessment - Unsure when I need to do this - any guidance would be amazing, I have no concerns here

I would just like some idea on my chance of obtaining an invitation in the first instance and the chances of actually obtaining a 189 Visa as I've heard a lot on here saying that without 90 points I have little or no chance at this stage.

It would also be helpful to know what the timeframes are with regard invitations and processing.

I realise that what I'm asking is probably more in line with a paid consultation so please feel free to get in touch as I would be interested in speaking with an immigration advisor!

Many Thanks in advance!!

Toby

Put simply, without a massive change in department priority and a huge reduction in higher skilled applications you have absolutely zero chance of a 189 with less than 90 points (you may get lucky at 85 but it's gonna have to be really lucky)

Take a look at 190 and 491 visas to see if they are offered for your role and desired state - much easier to qualify for these

Id also suggest seeking out the help of an agent (even just for an initial chat) @wrussell @paulhand @Alan CollettCollett @Raul SeniseSenise 

The first chat may well be free, but even if it's a few dollars their advice will give you a direction of travel and a professional opinion of whether you stand a scooby or not of qualifying

If you look at the grants before Covid-19, you'll see that no one with less than 90 points was getting invited.  

https://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invitation-january-2020-estimates/

Everyone, including the Australian Prime Minister, is saying that visa numbers will be reduced this year and next - so I'd say your chances with 85 points are between zero and none.

Your only chance is a 190 or 491 visa, so you will need to check which states are sponsoring your occupation, and what their requirements are. However as Westly says, there are going to be changes after Covid, due to the sharp rise in unemployment, so you may have to be patient. 

Many Thanks for the replies @Marisawright, @wrussell & @Ausvisitor.

I've taken onboard what you guys have said and looked at the 190:

Construction Project Manager

Queensland - Occupation not on the list

NSW - On list but limited availability

Victoria - Possibility but a job offer is required

WA - Occupation not on the list

SA - Occupation on list however need to be working in SA for the past 12 months.

My original plan was to move in August next year (2021) when my Kiwi girlfriends visa runs out in the UK, I thought this would be an adequate amount of time to get a visa in place but looks like a 189/190 visa is impossible at this point. 

Feels like a bit of a mountain but I appreciate this is why Australia is such a draw for many.

I would be keen to have a paid consultation with someone to look at my credentials and advise me what my best way forward whether it be to park this for a few years or submit a application with my 85 points.

Let me know if someone is willing to help and what your rate would be.

Many thanks again guys!

Toby

10 hours ago, TobyKing91 said:

My original plan was to move in August next year (2021) when my Kiwi girlfriends visa runs out in the UK, I thought this would be an adequate amount of time to get a visa in place but looks like a 189/190 visa is impossible at this point. 

Agents are knowledgeable but they're not magicians, so submitting an application with 85 points, even through an agent, would be throwing your money away.  

Have you already had a WHV (working holiday visa)?   If not, you could use that to spend a year working  in Australia, which would give you time to secure a job offer in Victoria and apply for the 190.  Most people on a WHV do casual work because they want to travel, but there's nothing to stop you spending the full year working in your usual profession. The only limit is that you can't work for the same employer for more than six months.

Otherwise, as Paul Hand said, as the de facto partner of a New Zealand citizen, you can access a NZ partner visa.  From reading other posts on these forums, there's a long processing time, so I'd get on to that asap.   Worth a consultation with Paul.

Edited by Marisawright

On 01/06/2020 at 17:25, paulhand said:

If you are the partner of an NZ citizen then other options open up. It’s probably time to get that professional advice. 

I've dropped you a line via SunCoast Migration Paul. @paulhand

Keen to get some professional advice.

Edited by TobyKing91

• 3 months later...

@TobyKing91 how have you gotten along with your application? My husband is also looking at 190 Construction Project Manager and we're only just getting started looking into Visa application, vetassess etc. Would be helpful to hear from someone going through this more recently. We have noted Project Management is in high demand in AUS now so they're on High Priority List. Wondering if this will have an impact on Visa applications now? 

6 hours ago, Claudia0805 said:

@TobyKing91 how have you gotten along with your application? My husband is also looking at 190 Construction Project Manager and we're only just getting started looking into Visa application, vetassess etc. Would be helpful to hear from someone going through this more recently. We have noted Project Management is in high demand in AUS now so they're on High Priority List. Wondering if this will have an impact on Visa applications now? 

Currently the 190 program is on hold with limited invitations being given to on shore candidates in specific occupations.

It is expected that the States will not be given numbers for the program to re open fully until October.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

Currently the 190 program is on hold with limited invitations being given to on shore candidates in specific occupations.

It is expected that the States will not be given numbers for the program to re open fully until October.

Thank you for your response Raul. Where does one normally find out about the numbers for visas, when they are released? 

• 3 weeks later...