Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

24 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

They are but there seems to be no timeframe.  It can take many months to get a refund, particularly in these unusual times.   Expect to wait months, especially if you purchased the flights via a third party rather than directly with the airline.  That’s because your contract is with the third party and they will only pay up when they’ve had the money back from the airline.  It will happen but you’ll need to be patient. 

Thanks Tulip, v true and thank you.  I believe if you have paid via credit card you can call the cc company and request a chargeback for service/goods paid for but not provided.  That may be quicker especially with travel agents.  I hope everyone remembers which companies did the right thing after all this is over.

31 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I would have thought that it is travellers arriving after the 1st July, we arrive 30th June so fingers crossed we miss it.

In all honesty though I cant blame them for charging people.

I said this would happen Lavers 🙂 Hopefully you will be OK - 1st July is the start of the new financial year - may be the reason. Hope your trip goes well and you get a decent hotel

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I would have thought that it is travellers arriving after the 1st July, we arrive 30th June so fingers crossed we miss it.

In all honesty though I cant blame them for charging people.

I think it’s worth mentioning that the quarantine in hotels has cost the country $50.000.000. That really means the taxpayers have paid. 

Australians  had plenty of notice and time to return home, so perhaps it is time to pay.. New immigrants are in a different position, with less choice to time their arrival, but perhaps if now having to pay for their quarantine is fair, as they haven’t contributed anything to The Australian economy? 

It’s always hard when conditions change and you miss out, but it was unrealistic to think free quarantine would be open ended.

I think it’s only Qld so far?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brizzie said:

Thanks Tulip, v true and thank you.  I believe if you have paid via credit card you can call the cc company and request a chargeback for service/goods paid for but not provided.  That may be quicker especially with travel agents.  I hope everyone remembers which companies did the right thing after all this is over.

Yes you can but they will ask you to provide evidence of what you’ve done to try and get the money back.  If you’ve been chasing a refund and it’s not happening then definitely use a chargeback but if you go straight to your card provider and say I’ve just come to you before trying to get a refund back from the airline/third party that will be a different matter.  Best to try and get the refund from the provider first knowing you can fall back on a chargeback.  Chargebacks are also taken far longer than usual, no surprise really, they have been inundated with requests. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ramot said:

I think it’s worth mentioning that the quarantine in hotels has cost the country $50.000.000. That really means the taxpayers have paid. 

Australians  had plenty of notice and time to return home, so perhaps it is time to pay.. New immigrants are in a different position, with less choice to time their arrival, but perhaps if now having to pay for their quarantine is fair, as they haven’t contributed anything to The Australian economy? 

It’s always hard when conditions change and you miss out, but it was unrealistic to think free quarantine would be open ended.

I think it’s only Qld so far?

I don't blame the Gov for doing this at all, and I suppose if the shoe was on the other foot then I would be complaining about footing the bill.

What will be will be, but the least they can do is open the pool if im having to pay 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, ramot said:

Australians  had plenty of notice and time to return home, so perhaps it is time to pay

It's not as simple as that though. We actually had flights booked to return, but within a couple of days the UK literally closed and ended our plans. We could not sell our car, could not get our furniture packed, and trying to end a tenancy with a compulsory months notice made life here so difficult, and trying to contact utility companies was a nightmare. That's why we got stuck here for a bit longer,  and now in the process of returning.

We're happy to pay for our quarantine, even though I worked full time for 28 years in Australia.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AliQ said:

It's not as simple as that though. We actually had flights booked to return, but within a couple of days the UK literally closed and ended our plans. We could not sell our car, could not get our furniture packed, and trying to end a tenancy with a compulsory months notice made life here so difficult, and trying to contact utility companies was a nightmare. That's why we got stuck here for a bit longer,  and now in the process of returning.

We're happy to pay for our quarantine, even though I worked full time for 28 years in Australia.

I wasn’t getting at anyone, there are always exceptions to any situation. Perhaps clumsily I was basically saying that the free quarantine has to end sometime and completely agree it’s very hard when anything changes that’s out of your control, because of unprecedented events.

There was criticism here of Australians who could have returned in time. My niece, husband and 2 young daughters, who I love dearly, went ahead with a trip to Sri Lanka, that they booked late when they shouldn’t, but thought oh it will be fine. They had a dreadful time trying to get back, it took days of cancelled flights and had to quarantine, we were obviously worried about them, but also cross they had been irresponsible. I doubt they were the only ones who pushed their luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

I don't blame the Gov for doing this at all, and I suppose if the shoe was on the other foot then I would be complaining about footing the bill.

What will be will be, but the least they can do is open the pool if im having to pay 😂😂

I was just pointing out the cost, and it’s understandable if after so many weeks, it might be ending.

Everyone I know thinks the free hotel quarantine was the absolutely the right thing to do,  The hard part is how much longer should it be free?

Qld is the first state so far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brizzie said:

Queensland charging for quarantine from July 1st. Other states expected to follow suit 

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/australia-starts-making-travellers-pay-for-14-day-hotel-quarantine

Qantas cancels almost all international flights to late October 

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-cancels-almost-all-overseas-flights-through-to-late-october

Anyone who returns to Queensland from July 1 but had booked their flights earlier will not be required to pay

just found this in a newspaper 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

So we booked flights to Brisbane yesterday to travel December 28th, do we have to pay ?

i read somewhere that as long as you'd booked the flight before midnight on the 17th of June (Australia time) then no you wouldn't have to pay . I think i saw this on the AU Smart Traveller page 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RosieH11 said:

i read somewhere that as long as you'd booked the flight before midnight on the 17th of June (Australia time) then no you wouldn't have to pay . I think i saw this on the AU Smart Traveller page 

sorry no i read it here https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself-others/self-quarantine/returning-from-overseas-travel-quarantine-arrangements?fbclid=IwAR0tjjxB93zW6b0h8xbWN04mwR3vCu4hgCJ4AaOHD3Jnjz8S4tYxf5oYjkA

What happens if I booked my flight before the announcement, do I still have to pay for the accommodation?

If, before midnight on 17 June 2020, you had a confirmed arrival date into Queensland, even if you arrive after 1 July 2020, you will not be required to pay the quarantine accommodation fee. You will need to provide documentary evidence that your arrival date was confirmed before 17 June 2020. This may take the form of a confirmed itinerary, flight booking or other documentary evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

Yesterday was the 18th so the booking would need to have been made the day before and before midnight wouldnt it? 

Cal x

Yes but it’s still the 18th here Cal so it’s yesterday for us still (just) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lavers said:

Sorry @Lavers - no chance! Pools aren't open yet. It's the only thing I'm missing actually. I've been swimming in a bay near Victoria Point for the last 3 months, but timing it when the tide's been in, it's not been dark, and I haven't been at work has been a challenge! 😄 

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Fingers crossed you made the booking early yesterday, before midnight Australia time. 

2 hours ago, calNgary said:

Yesterday was the 18th so the booking would need to have been made the day before and before midnight wouldnt it? 

It depends if they are referring to the 'fairy godmother' definition of midnight, or the correct one! In the case of the former you'd be okay booking on the 17 June, but if it's the latter then you'd need to have booked before 12am on the 17 June, or by 11.59pm on the 16 June. If that wasn't sufficiently ambiguous, there's also no mention of whether this is AEST, or the time in the country of booking. With a bit of luck it will be QLD time which is 1 hour and 20 years earlier, of course! 😆😂🤣

2020-06-19 10_50_54-Window.png

Edited by Wanderer Returns
typo
  • Like 1

On 17/06/2020 at 17:38, Ausvisitor said:
3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

It depends if they are referring to the 'fairy godmother' definition of midnight, or the correct one! In the case of the former you'd be okay booking on the 17 June, but if it's the latter then you'd need to have booked before 12am on the 17 June, or by 11.59pm on the 16 June. If that wasn't sufficiently ambiguous, there's also no mention of whether this is AEST, or the time in the country of booking. With a bit of luck it will be QLD time which is 1 hour and 20 years earlier, of course! 😆😂🤣

2020-06-19 10_50_54-Window.png

I booked 16th June 20:00 UK time so should be all good if VIC decide to follow.

In the same article it did say that VIC and NSW didnt want to make travellers pay, it was just QLD pushing for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we go to Australia we don’t take any food items to make sure we don’t get held up and tick the ‘no food’ box honestly.  I was unaware until now that there are some items you can bring in without declaring (inc coffee, tea, chocolate and other items, all must be in original sealed packaging, see link below for details).  We may bring other declarable packaged snacks, just so we have some treats during quarantine.  I’m posting this also for any families as I imagine it might help for kids to have their favourites.  If you declare, they do usually ask to see what you have.  But as the numbers of people going in will be small, it may not delay things much.  And anyway who wants to rush being sent to quarantine?!
Info here https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/goods-without-declaring

Re the Guardian article, that was really helpful, thank you Marisa.  I was told you couldn’t have deliveries of anything from anyone, perhaps it’s changed or varies state to state.  I was hoping my friend could bring us a care package!  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

For those about to fly to Australia, here's a good article about quarantine:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jun/20/quarantine-salad-what-two-weeks-in-an-isolation-hotel-has-taught-me-about-eating-well-with-less

Obviously the tips about snacks are useless, since you can't bring any food in, but some of the other tips are good.

You can bring plenty of food in, certainly sealed snacks, chocolate, sweets, crisps etc. Just declare it n arrival - which often makes it quicker to get through Customs too!

• Like 1