Future in Australia

Aussiebird

Hi all,

Has anyone,  who is planning on moving to Australia and had visas granted, wondering if the Coronavirus will have a huge impact on selling homes in UK and if itwill affect finding work in Australia?

Will it have a long term affect globally and cause a recession and an increase in tax payers having to pay back the money the government is dishing out sothat people can survive this awful crisis?

So many questions now over all of our futures!!

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hi all,

Has anyone,  who is planning on moving to Australia and had visas granted, wondering if the Coronavirus will have a huge impact on selling homes in UK and if itwill affect finding work in Australia?

Will it have a long term affect globally and cause a recession and an increase in tax payers having to pay back the money the government is dishing out sothat people can survive this awful crisis?

So many questions now over all of our futures!!

We are all in for a very rough ride.  We have pushed the reset button on the global economy with this crisis and it will take a very long time to reboot.

For the next few months though the priority must be the public health crisis.  2020 will be a write-off so it would be a brave or foolhardy person who pushed ahead with emigration planning this year because it just isn’t going to happen.  International mobility will not return for a long time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

We are all in for a very rough ride.  We have pushed the reset button on the global economy with this crisis and it will take a very long time to reboot.

For the next few months though the priority must be the public health crisis.  2020 will be a write-off so it would be a brave or foolhardy person who pushed ahead with emigration planning this year because it just isn’t going to happen.  International mobility will not return for a long time.

I can't see us making the move this year now but other half has to activate his visa by 3rd Feb 2021 so will have to see if he can get an extension on his activation date. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

I can't see us making the move this year now but other half has to activate his visa by 3rd Feb 2021 so will have to see if he can get an extension on his activation date. 

He just has to take a flight over and can come straight back - I doubt you're going to get an extension on activation date. Then he's got 5 years to make the move.  Planes should be flying well before that.

Was ready to book my flights this month for the 1st Sept with my last entry date being 31st Dec this year.

I will just see how the land lies in a few months time and how the job market is looking.

I'm in engineering so I dont really see that sector being effected as that will be one of the sectors which will build the economy back up when this ends.

It wont be the ideal situation though but like Quoll says if things are still looking ropey then I can fly over activate my visa and come back to the UK.

• Like 1

You never know things may bounce back quicker than you think, all this only happened due to corona so hopefully when it's gone things can get back to "normal" sooner rather than later.

Govs cant go too hard on taxes too start with or it will make things worse and financial packages they have put in place are so companies can stay open and get back too normal straight away.

The reality is nobody knows what the world will look like at the end of this. Other than it will be very different. This isn’t a quick thing. We are looking at this going on for many months. If we are lucky, maybe this time next year. But, economic circumstances are going to be dramatically different. The world has basically put the entire economy on hold. That is going to have dramatic effects we can’t even believe at the moment. Governments are having to spend enormous sums as it is. Debt is going to be massive, many businesses are, regardless of the best help going to disappear. For example, look at what unemployment claims in the US have done in this chart. The blip before the huge spike is the 2008 crash. That huge spike was for 1 week only. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52050426

The Department have indicated they can be flexible on first entry dates: Visa holders required to enter Australia by a specified date and prevented from doing so by the travel restrictions should contact the section of the Department that issued the visa and request an extension to the entry date.

‘This should only be done as and when required. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, paulhand said:

The Department have indicated they can be flexible on first entry dates: Visa holders required to enter Australia by a specified date and prevented from doing so by the travel restrictions should contact the section of the Department that issued the visa and request an extension to the entry date.

‘This should only be done as and when required. 

Thank you.  I can't see that we would be moving by beginning of Feb 2021 and really we want to do the move without the extra flight for activation first, so I wonder if my other half could try and get the date extended, even if things start going back to normal?

We have a home to sell so can't see the market will be strong this year. 

I

55 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you.  I can't see that we would be moving by beginning of Feb 2021 and really we want to do the move without the extra flight for activation first, so I wonder if my other half could try and get the date extended, even if things start going back to normal?

We have a home to sell so can't see the market will be strong this year. 

Like Paul has mentioned though it will probably be only available to people who couldn't travel due to the travel restrictions.

If travel went back to normal in the next 3 or 4 months I would have thought that you would have to stick to your entry date as will I, otherwise it will just be a big mess for immigration to sort.

8 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I

Like Paul has mentioned though it will probably be only available to people who couldn't travel due to the travel restrictions.

If travel went back to normal in the next 3 or 4 months I would have thought that you would have to stick to your entry date as will I, otherwise it will just be a big mess for immigration to sort.

Yes that's very true,  I guess will just have to wait and see how things throughout the year.  Really hope we can sell our house this year!!

Thanks for the reply. X

3 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you, I hope so.  

Lucky you! Where and when are you heading to in Australia? 

Got a 190visa for SA and was planning on moving sept 1st, but that could be out off the window now.

Will wait and see how things are going nearer the time and if things look a bit unstable in Aus, then we will go for a holiday and come back here for a while.

I am in engineering so there are usually plenty of jobs going.

Are you moving back too where you are from or trying somewhere new in Aus?

6 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Got a 190visa for SA and was planning on moving sept 1st, but that could be out off the window now.

Will wait and see how things are going nearer the time and if things look a bit unstable in Aus, then we will go for a holiday and come back here for a while.

I am in engineering so there are usually plenty of jobs going.

Are you moving back too where you are from or trying somewhere new in Aus?

We are hoping to be back in the areas near where we lived, but will depend on house prices there too, fingers crossed they dont go up!!

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

I

The government announcement said that the travel restrictions would be in place for AT LEAST the next six months. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

We are hoping to be back in the areas near where we lived, but will depend on house prices there too, fingers crossed they dont go up!!

The Australian housing market was in a bit of a bubble before all this started, so they are predicting house prices to fall around 20%.   It's only a prediction, though - who knows what's gonig to happen at the end of all this.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The Australian housing market was in a bit of a bubble before all this started, so they are predicting house prices to fall around 20%.   It's only a prediction, though - who knows what's gonig to happen at the end of all this.

I expect the housing markets to fall in most places, as you say most where hitting a peak anyway.  Also I can see people struggling when interest rates go up as those younger ones who have bought houses in the last 10yrs at the top end of there budget will never have seen higher rates, so it wouldn't surprise me if we see repossessions.

Just glad that I managed to sell my house last week.

I never seen about travel restrictions being in place for at least 6 months but it doesnt surprise me really. Guess we will all just have too wait and see how everything unfolds.

Edited by Lavers

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The government announcement said that the travel restrictions would be in place for AT LEAST the next six months. 

I would confidently predict that overseas travel (barring returning nationals) will not restart until there is a COVID 19 vaccine and it is widely distributed so that a population truly has herd immunity for this virus.

This seems unlikely in 2020.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Only citizens and permanent residents are allowed in, temp visa holders aren't allowed at present.

For citizens and permanent residents arriving you are put in self isolation for 14days

Actually placed in quarantine.  No longer self-isolation.  You will be put up at a hotel especially set up for this purpose in the city you arrive in.  Not sure what the arrangements are to transport you to your home at the end of the quarantine period.

So far they are paying for the 2 weeks isolation accommodation but I have a feeling that won't last long and people will be presented with a bill.

I think the NT have already said anyone landing there has to pay for themself. Despite it being mandatory.
They suggested it would be around $2500 per person