Moving from Cairns to the UK

TashG

Hey, does anyone have experience of shipping stuff back to the UK from Cairns? I will only have a small amount and had hoped to use Seven Seas Worldwide but they don't include Cairns in their services. I'm looking at various companies but would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks so much, Tash

On 12/02/2020 at 05:27, TashG said:

Hey, does anyone have experience of shipping stuff back to the UK from Cairns? I will only have a small amount and had hoped to use Seven Seas Worldwide but they don't include Cairns in their services. I'm looking at various companies but would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks so much, Tash

Pickfords were spot on. We left all that garish wooden Aussie furniture behind.   Had a garage sale and the Aussies were all over it, stripped the whole house bare in a couple of days, gave the last bits to our Indian chums and skipped the rest..  We’ve Only took home our very personal stuff. Even most of our clothes we gave away or dumped to save on space.  

8 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Pickfords were spot on. We left all that garish wooden Aussie furniture behind.   Had a garage sale and the Aussies were all over it, stripped the whole house bare in a couple of days, gave the last bits to our Indian chums and skipped the rest..  We’ve Only took home our very personal stuff. Even most of our clothes we gave away or dumped to save on space.  

What is garish wooden furniture? We have some nice Jarrah and Marri pieces, definitely not garish and certainly not mass produced.

If you chose to buy rubbish that was your choice.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

What is garish wooden furniture? We have some nice Jarrah and Marri pieces, definitely not garish and certainly not mass produced.

If you chose to buy rubbish that was your choice.

Och you know what Home and Happy's like.  Let him get his many little digs in if it keeps him happy. 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Doing the same this year Cairns to Uk, have you looked at Woree markets to clear out I believe it's on monthly. Looking forward to crappy wet grey weather, 6 summers here now and over it. Have you looked at Bournes for shipping or move cube as its a small amount?

• 2 months later...
On 16/02/2020 at 02:49, Gary H said:

Doing the same this year Cairns to Uk, have you looked at Woree markets to clear out I believe it's on monthly. Looking forward to crappy wet grey weather, 6 summers here now and over it. Have you looked at Bournes for shipping or move cube as its a small amount?

Dont worry about the weather gary - seriously .

No winter again in the west mids- no days below zero - no ice and very little snow - that's about 7 years in a row now .

Sat outside as we speak - bit cold this morning , but clear - good now .

People who have been in oz a while,maybe since the 60s or 70s, dont believe me when I say the u.k weather is bordering on the " plus" side now 

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

No winter again in the west mids- no days below zero - no ice and very little snow - that's about 7 years in a row now .

People who have been in oz a while,maybe since the 60s or 70s, dont believe me when I say the u.k weather is bordering on the " plus" side now 

In the north west, we had snow and ice last year, just a few days  and it has really rained this year. Pay off is that it’s lovely and green. Sun this last week or so has been lovely!

• Like 2

On 21/04/2020 at 01:38, bunbury61 said:

Looking forward to Uk weather, move is on hold right now but can't help that with current situation won't be forever

4 hours ago, Gary H said:

Looking forward to Uk weather, move is on hold right now but can't help that with current situation won't be forever

Hi Gary, I hope you get to move back here before the winter sets in so you can settle first. Whilst we had no snow this winter where we are, we find the winter's way too cold and spend too much time indoors trying to keep warm with central heating, hot water bottles and thermals. We're looking forward to getting back as soon as we can, it's easier and cheaper to keep cool than it is to keep warm, that's our experience anyway.

Good luck with your move and hope all goes smoothly.