491/489 Job Prospects

KBeale

Hi folks,

I’m looking to relocate to NSW on a 491 visa. I was wondering if anyone has any experience finding jobs on a 489/491 regional skilled provisional visa?

I ask because I currently hold a 476 Recognised Graduate visa valid for 18 months, but employers don’t want to know because it’s temporary. I’m worried that, since the 491 is technically ‘temporary’ (5 years and there is a clear and defined pathway to PR) I’ll be wasting $4k for the same results!

For a bit of background, I’m a recent chemical engineering grad working in refining in the UK but hoping to move over to Aus and get into the water treatment business. I’ve been trying for 3 months now to get something on my 476 visa but it’s not looking likely!

Does anyone have any experience that they can share?

All the best,

Kai

The 491 is brand new, so no one has experience of that yet.

I think the 489/491 is a bit different because it's provisional, not temporary (i.e. there's a sure path to PR if you meet the criteria, rather than just a possibility). So that should give employers more comfort in theory - though I suspect some employers will be poorly informed. .    Anyway if you're settling in a regional area, not in one of the big cities, employers find it hard to recruit so they're likely to be keen to hire you.  

It's very difficult getting a job in Australia from overseas regardless of what visa you hold.  

Even a 491 visa is unfortunately not easy to obtain for engineers, how would you go about getting this visa?  I have tried for over a year to obtain a 489/190/189 visa, but immigration requirements keep getting tougher. If you can get a 491 visa, then I don't think you will have a problem finding a job (does not need to be in your field), especially considering you are currently working in the UK in your field. 

If you work for one year in NSW then you may be eligible for the 190 visa. https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visas-and-immigration/nsw-skilled-occupations-list/nsw-190-priority-skilled-occupation-list

Or if you can obtain a job offer in regional VIC then you also would be eligible for a 491. https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/skilled-migration-visas/491

Or look at Category 2 - 491 for Tasmania. Need 6 months work experience in the state, does not need to be in your field. https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migrants/skilled_regional

Or for South Australia, if you find a job in your field and work for 12 mos Adelaide or 6 mos outside and have 3 yrs exp, eligible for a 491. https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/lists-of-state-nominated-occupations

Or you can go on your 476 and tell employers to give you a chance, and if they like you then they can sponsor you on a 482, 494, or 186 visa. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482 But all these visas have a levy that the employer would have to pay, which makes this route less likely.

Or, if you're single, find an australian partner, and apply for a partner visa after living together for a year. Don't do this for the sole purpose of getting a visa though, or you will be rejected and banned for years.

Edited by CivCdn

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The 491 is brand new, so no one has experience of that yet.

I think the 489/491 is a bit different because it's provisional, not temporary (i.e. there's a sure path to PR if you meet the criteria, rather than just a possibility). So that should give employers more comfort in theory - though I suspect some employers will be poorly informed. .    Anyway if you're settling in a regional area, not in one of the big cities, employers find it hard to recruit so they're likely to be keen to hire you.  

It's very difficult getting a job in Australia from overseas regardless of what visa you hold.  

Thanks Marisa for your reply. Do you mind if I ask how you score in the points test? I’m going off the basis that I can obtain 85 points in the 491 skills test and my occupation is on the skills shortage list. 

I’m ideally looking to settle somewhere like Newcastle, which has just recently been added to the list of designated regional areas. Lots of water treatment there for the Hunter region but just a Little concerned that big companies won’t understand the pathway of the 491!

10 minutes ago, KBeale said:

Thanks Marisa for your reply. Do you mind if I ask how you score in the points test? I’m going off the basis that I can obtain 85 points in the 491 skills test and my occupation is on the skills shortage list. 

I’m ideally looking to settle somewhere like Newcastle, which has just recently been added to the list of designated regional areas. Lots of water treatment there for the Hunter region but just a Little concerned that big companies won’t understand the pathway of the 491!

Given the 491 is just a couple of months into its existence and little formal published guidelines exist I'd be surprised if many people outside of the immigration community understand it's pathway and implications at the moment.

If say however that a big company has more chance of getting the concept than a small one.

At the end of the day the 491 is a provisional visa and not a temporary one, so it's as good as a PR for the employer (in that they don't have to do anything towards it). Yes there is a risk you don't convert to a full PR or that the rules change and you aren't able to, but that's no greater than the risk that next month you decide to hand in your notice. To the employer there are no downsides to a 4xx visa, to the individual it means a 3-4 year wait before being allowed to have permanent residency rights I'm Australia, but (at the moment) the pathway from provisional to permanent seems pretty straight forward so long as you play in the rules

• Like 1

It is hard for me to find a job in my opinion. Regional does not lack of people. It lacks of jobs.

This will depend on your profession though. I am in hospitality and retail. For example big brands like Coles, Woolworths never hire people with temporary status. 

Jobs in the this industry hardly be offered as full time as well, mostly part time or casual. :((((

Good thread going this.

I think I read something about the 491 that once you’re on the 491 you must see out the terms of it and can’t apply for another type of visa until the 3 years are up. At that point if you’ve fulfilled the criteria you can get your 191 permanent. 

Anyone else heard that or have I made it up?

1 hour ago, Dean0703 said:

Good thread going this.

I think I read something about the 491 that once you’re on the 491 you must see out the terms of it and can’t apply for another type of visa until the 3 years are up. At that point if you’ve fulfilled the criteria you can get your 191 permanent. 

Anyone else heard that or have I made it up?

That’s correct. You have to commit to the state for 3 years too. Then you’ll get 191 if you meet the criteria. 

16 minutes ago, Lambert said:

That’s correct. You have to commit to the state for 3 years too. Then you’ll get 191 if you meet the criteria. 

Yep spot on that seems to be what the Home Affairs website says! It also appears that the nomination is made by the state and therefore you would be free to move between regional areas in that state in those 3 years. 
It seems like a very good option provided that the understanding is there on the side of the companies - I guess if I get a 491 granted maybe I’ll have to dedicate a paragraph of cover letter to work rights! 😂