Can I refuse a medical?

jul2019

Arrived in Australia in July. Applied for a visa and they gave me a bridging visa which I'm on indefinitely.  I haven't heard back from the immigration lot and i think they still have my passport unless I lost it. I've tried emailing them but all I get is an automated reply. As part of the visa rules I think I'll probably have to take a medical. Can I refuse the medical? There's no way I can have a blood test. Last time I had to take one there was an incident which I'd rather not have happen again. Can I refuse to have blood taken?

43 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Arrived in Australia in July. Applied for a visa and they gave me a bridging visa which I'm on indefinitely.  I haven't heard back from the immigration lot and i think they still have my passport unless I lost it. I've tried emailing them but all I get is an automated reply. As part of the visa rules I think I'll probably have to take a medical. Can I refuse the medical? There's no way I can have a blood test. Last time I had to take one there was an incident which I'd rather not have happen again. Can I refuse to have blood taken?

You can refuse if you wish.

However a blood test is mandatory for immigration purposes so if you refuse you will be deemed inadmissible.

No one can force you to have a medical, equally Australia is not required to admit you without one either.

If you want in, you have to play within the rules set out

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jul2019 said:

Surely you remember where your passport is?

No medical, no visa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Rather than hanging around wondering about the uncertainty, wouldn't it be better to get your new passport organised and then withdraw your visa application, since there's no chance it will be granted?

Didn't know you could withdraw an application. What the Australian government want to know is if I'll be a drain on the system. They won't care if I refused a blood test etc. all they care about is the cost. And since I have good health I won't be a drain so why no chance it will be granted?

Edited by jul2019

56 minutes ago, jul2019 said:

Didn't know you could withdraw an application. What the Australian government want to know is if I'll be a drain on the system. They won't care if I refused a blood test etc. all they care about is the cost. And since I have good health I won't be a drain so why no chance it will be granted?

The blood test is not done for fun, it is to check whether you have various medical conditions which could cause you to be a drain on the oz medical system. They aren't going to take your word for it, they need the test done as proof.

As above, No medical, no visa. Simple. 

9 hours ago, jul2019 said:

You cannot possibly say you won’t be a drain. Almost everyone appears healthy until they’re not. There are many in their 30’s/40’s that seem the picture of health and then suddenly they have a heart attack or get cancer for example.  It is silly to say it won’t happen. There are also many that have underlying conditions that they’re not aware of and they are only discovered by chance from a blood test for example. People younger than you will have a blood test and it will show they are perhaps diabetic or have some other medical issues. They won’t take your word for it as it would be impossible for you to predict the future.  I guess if you want to stay you’ll take the medical. If you don’t take it you will not get the visa.

• Like 2