Harrisdale poms

Krisneale

Hi all,

myself and my wife who are in our late thirties with two kids, 7 and 6 would love to meet some people south of the river, around Harrisdale/canning vale areas.

if you’re local please reach out, we’d love to hear from you!

we are looking for some real, long term friends! We are easy going, like a laugh (and a drink!) and really looking for people

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Krisneale said:

Thanks, have been trying on there for ages and was advised to try here...

not sure what I’m doing wrong or why all the SOR people are so quiet?

thanks for your message though, appreciate it !

These forums are mainly for people planning to come to Australia.  Most of those people arrive, get settled, and never visit these forums again.   The other main group are people who arrived, didn't like it or missed their family too much,and are heading home  - they're not interested in making friends in Australia, for obvious reasons.  There's a small group of us who stick around because we enjoy hanging around to help other people. 

It's never easy making deep friendships in a new country, but you're not likely to find them on forums - and sticking around with other Brits is often a recipe to guarantee you'll never feel "at home" in Australia. It's hard work and will likely take you a couple of years to make connections.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Wouldn't go into it looking for deep long term friendships, you're probably going to be disappointed so throw yourself into your local community regardless of where they originated and see what sticks. If you go into it expecting nothing then you won't be disappointed. I've found the best friendships I've had have been formed at times of developmental angst or significant stress so you might find some mates if you volunteer for things like the bush fire brigade or Lifeline, nothing like throwing yourself into stressful situations to see who has got your back and who will laugh with you. Personally, over 3 decades in Australia I never made the kind of friendships that I've found here in UK over the past 8 years but lots of other folk say they've made lots of friends - what friendships I had were generally situational and rarely stood  the test of situation change. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

These forums are mainly for people planning to come to Australia.  Most of those people arrive, get settled, and never visit these forums again.   The other main group are people who arrived, didn't like it or missed their family too much,and are heading home  - they're not interested in making friends in Australia, for obvious reasons.  There's a small group of us who stick around because we enjoy hanging around to help other people. 

It's never easy making deep friendships in a new country, but you're not likely to find them on forums - and sticking around with other Brits is often a recipe to guarantee you'll never feel "at home" in Australia. It's hard work and will likely take you a couple of years to make connections.

I made very good long time friends at work.  Most of my co-workers were really nice friendly people but it took a couple of years to eventually meet two or three with the same interests as myself and then to end up close friends with.  One of them has moved to Tassie with her husband and another is moving here soon which I am very happy about.  🙂

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for your replies, just to note. I have made friends with Australians, but I’d also like to connect with people from England, I don’t think it’s a recipe to never feel at home, but often a great fundamental connection that’s shared to start a friendship.

many thanks again and as this is a main source for poms living in Australia, I’d still like to make my offer stand, would love to connect with anyone who’s not too far away:-)

cheers 

• 9 months later...
On 15/10/2019 at 14:30, Krisneale said:

Thanks all for your replies, just to note. I have made friends with Australians, but I’d also like to connect with people from England, I don’t think it’s a recipe to never feel at home, but often a great fundamental connection that’s shared to start a friendship.

many thanks again and as this is a main source for poms living in Australia, I’d still like to make my offer stand, would love to connect with anyone who’s not too far away:-)

cheers 

We’ve just moved to Perth from Nothampton UK...currently in quarantine in the city! Looking at canning vale as an area to move to! What’s it like? We also have 2 kids 7 and 4...and love a drink! Apart from family here we have no friends which is going to be really hard as we had a great group of friends and a really busy social life in the UK! 

21 minutes ago, Reboz said:

We’ve just moved to Perth from Nothampton UK...currently in quarantine in the city! Looking at canning vale as an area to move to! What’s it like? We also have 2 kids 7 and 4...and love a drink! Apart from family here we have no friends which is going to be really hard as we had a great group of friends and a really busy social life in the UK! 

Canning Vale is a nice area if you are after a typical suburban 4 x 2 house, great for families.

Just check out the traveling time though to your areas of work.

Hi Reboz!

hope you’re doing ok in lockdown!!

wow canning vale!! That’s so close, we are in Harrisdale!

it really is a lovely area, close to city and Freo!

you guys sound so similar to us, would love to catch up once you’re settled in!

perhaps send me a PM and we could arrange to catch up sometime!

thanks for replying! 🙂

3 hours ago, Reboz said:

If you're new to Perth I wouldn't be settling on an area to live until you've had a good look around. We rented for a year in Como, nice apartment, good landlord and it gave us time to decide on an area we wanted to buy.

We were pretty typical poms who'd never been to Aus before and wanted to be close to the ocean. That meant going North or South a fair way to afford something. We liked North better when we looked and chose a suburb we've been really happy with. 2 mins by car to the beach, walk in 10, good surf club, good pubs, coffee shops, parks, schools close by, good public transport to get into the City if you need it.

Love being near the beach. Even Como was too far away. The rivers OK but beach and ocean are better.

11 hours ago, Reboz said:

Hi reboz we are flying over soon....what are the quarantine facilities like? I'm so nervous with 2 kids.

We will also be south of the river at least for a while! 

On 21/07/2020 at 16:01, Paul1Perth said:

If you're new to Perth I wouldn't be settling on an area to live until you've had a good look around. We rented for a year in Como, nice apartment, good landlord and it gave us time to decide on an area we wanted to buy.

We were pretty typical poms who'd never been to Aus before and wanted to be close to the ocean. That meant going North or South a fair way to afford something. We liked North better when we looked and chose a suburb we've been really happy with. 2 mins by car to the beach, walk in 10, good surf club, good pubs, coffee shops, parks, schools close by, good public transport to get into the City if you need it.

Love being near the beach. Even Como was too far away. The rivers OK but beach and ocean are better.

We know Perth well as have been many time’s and have lots of family here...have a shortlist of areas but only area we aren’t familiar with is canning vale so are wanting to get to know the area better before we make any decisions! Going to spend the next month visiting houses in our shortlist areas, going to the local parks and of course coffee shops so we can hopefully come to a decision!! 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 13:37, Krisneale said:

Hi Reboz!

hope you’re doing ok in lockdown!!

wow canning vale!! That’s so close, we are in Harrisdale!

it really is a lovely area, close to city and Freo!

you guys sound so similar to us, would love to catch up once you’re settled in!

perhaps send me a PM and we could arrange to catch up sometime!

thanks for replying! 🙂

Yes will send your a PM and we can sort a catch up once we are out and sorted! 

On 21/07/2020 at 23:38, Tams said:

Hi reboz we are flying over soon....what are the quarantine facilities like? I'm so nervous with 2 kids.

We will also be south of the river at least for a while! 

We are on day 8 and honestly the facilities are great- we got the Novotel Murray st and have a huge suite- 3 rooms, one for kids with 2x double beds, and bathroom, master bedroom with huge bed and en-suite then another room with basic kitchen, dining table and sofa. Tvs in all the rooms and we are on 25th floor so lovely views and floor to ceiling windows which make it so much nicer to be able to look out and see the outside world. Food is ok we’ve done a takeaway and also had a Coles delivery of snacks and bread etc. Ordered a coffee machine as we are big coffee drinkers! Everyone has been lovely and taking great care of us so definitely can’t complain! When are you flying over? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vicky87 said:

Hi guys 

We're in Aubin Grove, we have a 3 year old daughter so a bit younger than yours..  but happy to catch up if you're up for it 😊 she played lovely with our friends 5 year old 🤷🏼‍♀️🤞🏻

Hi Vicky, thanks for your reply!!

that sounds lovely!

send us a private message and we’ll sort something out! 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2019 at 15:12, Krisneale said:

Hi all,

myself and my wife who are in our late thirties with two kids, 7 and 6 would love to meet some people south of the river, around Harrisdale/canning vale areas.

if you’re local please reach out, we’d love to hear from you!

we are looking for some real, long term friends! We are easy going, like a laugh (and a drink!) and really looking for people

Hi pal , are you still searching ?