OPTIONS FOR SISTER - OVER 45

julzcary

I used this site as a wealth of information when I embarked on my emigration from the UK to the sunny Gold Coast and was amazed at how helpful members were.  Well, fast forward 9 years and my sister is looking at emigrating from South Africa to Australia and as I'm a bit out of touch with the rules and regs, wondered if someone could just give me a quick heads up on options in terms of visa whether that be skilled or family sponsor.

UK & SA citizen

Age 46 (turning 47 this year)

Qualified secondary school teacher (deputy head).  Worked for many years in this field

Due to complete her PHD this year

What are the pre-requisites for a family sponsorship?

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

I cannot see anyway she can move over. The cut off age for a skilled visa is 45, such a shame she didn’t get a visa sorted out a little sooner.  You being there means nothing, if family members could just ‘sponsor’ another family member life would be very easy for all but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. 

If it's one of the skilled migration visas like the subclass 189 or 190, which are forAustralian permanent residency than 50 is the age limit. ... If the Australiangovernment pursued that approach no one in their 30s or beyond would have any chance of emigrating to Australia so, fortunately, the age limit is what it is.

31 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Found the above just on google but you would need to check!

Certainly wouldn't be using that agency. The age limit for 189 and 190 was changed back to 45 a  couple of years ago. 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:
If it's one of the skilled migration visas like the subclass 189 or 190, which are forAustralian permanent residency than 50 is the age limit. ... If the Australiangovernment pursued that approach no one in their 30s or beyond would have any chance of emigrating to Australia so, fortunately, the age limit is what it is.

Was 50 but went down to 45 a few years ago 

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

This information is just plain wrong.

It appears on a website of someone who does not appear to be Registered as a Migration Agent.

16 hours ago, julzcary said:

I used this site as a wealth of information when I embarked on my emigration from the UK to the sunny Gold Coast and was amazed at how helpful members were.  Well, fast forward 9 years and my sister is looking at emigrating from South Africa to Australia and as I'm a bit out of touch with the rules and regs, wondered if someone could just give me a quick heads up on options in terms of visa whether that be skilled or family sponsor.

UK & SA citizen

Age 46 (turning 47 this year)

Qualified secondary school teacher (deputy head).  Worked for many years in this field

Due to complete her PHD this year

What are the pre-requisites for a family sponsorship?

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Options will be much more limited as she is over 45.

There are age exemptions in some cases for Permanent Employer sponsored visas.

Depending on the family composition, a remaining relative visa may be an option, although processing times are unrealistically long.

A professional assessment would be recommended.

Thank you all for your prompt replies....seems like she is going to have to carry on living life on the edge in a crime riddled and corrupt country unless she goes back to Old Blightly!!

The other option I suppose then is employee sponsorship - is there an age limit for that?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, julzcary said:

Thank you all for your prompt replies....seems like she is going to have to carry on living life on the edge in a crime riddled and corrupt country unless she goes back to Old Blightly!!

The other option I suppose then is employee sponsorship - is there an age limit for that?

Thank you

Still under 45, she’s left it too late. Such a shame she didn’t do this a few years ago, she could then have just held onto it just in case. 

11 minutes ago, julzcary said:

Thank you

I would recommend you to contact someone like @Raul Senise who has posted on this thread. With limited options, you need professional advice to assess and determine possibilities. 

11 hours ago, julzcary said:

Thank you

Thought you were referring to the UK at first! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, julzcary said:

Thank you

At least she’s lucky enough to be able to live in the UK

On 17/04/2019 at 08:03, julzcary said:

As others have said, she might be able to get a temporary employer-sponsored visa, but the big challenge will be finding an employer who is willing to offer her a job.   The new temp visa (the TSS) requires more paperwork and more cost on the part of the employer than the old 457, so if they can find a local candidate even halfway suitable, they're likely to settle for that rather than go through the rigmarole.  As I assume she'd want to come to the Gold Coast/Brisbane area, she could try approaching the private schools there to see what the prospects would be.

However, that would only get her two to four years in Australia.  For a younger person, there would then be an opportunity to apply for PR and stay - but  (as MaggieMay and Raul say), the age limit for the PR visa is 45 with only a few exceptions for special circumstances. I have no idea how that provision works, and the best way to find out is to consult someone like Raul, who can look at your sister's case and advise if she's got any prospects.

Has she considered a move to Asia somewhere?   I have friends who worked in international schools in Hong Kong for many years.

If she's able to find work in Asia, it would be worth her while to start paying National Insurance contributions to boost her eventual British pension, in case she has to return there in her retirement.  She should also enquire about back-paying missed years.  The good thing is that even if she doesn't return to the UK, she'll be able to claim her British pension from wherever she's living (unlike the Australian pension).

Another option to consider is Europe.  Currently, in spite of Brexit, UK citizens are able to settle in another EU member country.   The EU has said that UK nationals who are settled before Brexit occurs, will be able to stay permanently, so she has a window of opportunity!