AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

I agree with you. Because of the stunt of trying of changing rules and later, a miserable defeat in passing the bill in the senate has upset the whole ecosystem of the immi department.  They have also downsized the department last year.

The staff working at the department is now bombarded by hundreds of calls and emails every day. (120,000 pending citizen applications). They have now removed the mask of courtesy and empathy to the callers as they themselves cant do anything. There are now some processing teams which are hard to access even by the call centre staff. I would just say, it is an unfortunate situation in which we are all stuck. The situation will likely to continue to remain same unless some drastic rectification measures are taken by the department. 

Just wait and see.

Good luck.

Hi all,
My timeline is as below:
Applied 27/3/2017
Exam date 29/6/2017 (Parramatta)
Approval letter ???
Ceremony ????
It's been 130 days since exam.
Would I receive the ceremony notification without approval letter?

No you would not have a ceremony date without an approval letter first.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Themaccas :)

It seems the DIBP started issuing approval letter for people who applied in March or April 2017.

Time line
Lodge 16 march 2017 (online) Brisbane 
Aknowledgement 16 march 17
Test date email recieved 5 April 
Test Date 7 june 2017 (passed 100%)
Approval letter received 6 November 2017 (approved 30 October 2017)

Eligible: 27 January 2017
Applied online – 22 April 2017 (Wife had to apply on paper)
Acknowledgement – 22 April 2017
Extenuating Circumstances Given – 19 June 2017. This was due to my wife's immi account saying she was not eligible to apply when she was. We were waiting for this to be resolved when they changed the rules on 20th April 2017. Our issues were well noted on their systems. When they changed the rules we lodged a complaint and also asked for assistance from our Federal MP.
Email Confirmation on Test Appointment – 22 September 2017
Test Date – 13 October 2017 – Passed
Approval Letter – 6 November 2017 (dated 31 October 2017)
Ceremony Letter – Waiting 
Ceremony – Waiting

Both were approved on 6 Nov 2017.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removing reference to external site.

Hi guys,
I just realised I made a mistake. Though the DIBP homepage it says you can submit paper application :

Use a paper application if you:
are eligible for a fee concession
are part of the Australian Defence Force
are a stateless person
do not have a passport
have not travelled in or out of Australia since July 1990. 

However I didnt match any criteria above but I submitted paper application in March and attended the test on 29 June 2017.
Would they reject my application eventually? 

Edited by Eddie0719

On 11/7/2017 at 09:49, Eddie0719 said:
Thanks Themaccas [emoji4]
It seems the DIBP started issuing approval letter for people who applied in March or April 2017.
Time line
Extenuating Circumstances Given – 19 June 2017. This was due to my wife's immi account saying she was not eligible to apply when she was. We were waiting for this to be resolved when they changed the rules on 20th April 2017. Our issues were well noted on their systems. When they changed the rules we lodged a complaint and also asked for assistance from our Federal MP.
Ceremony – Waiting

Ah sorry you have approval letters already. This is our timeline from Sydney -
September 2016 - Applied online family of 5, (4 x adults, 1xchild)
September 2016 Test date emails received
November 2016 Tests sat in Sydney (we had all slightly different dates)
November 2016 approval letter (daughter)
December 2016 approval letter (son)
January 2017 approval letter (me and child)
April 2017 ceremony invite (son)
May 2017 ceremony for son (- living in different suburb and council)
June 2017 approval letter (husband we waited 7 months for his approval)
End June 2017 - i went on council website to see when next Citizenship ceremony was taking place - it was 17 July 2017. I called the council and asked if we were in the list they said they had just got the list from immigration and we were on it and were just doing our ceremony letters! These came the first week in July 2017
17 July Citizenship ceremony for the remaining 4 of us!!

My advice would be to find out from your council when the next ceremony is and then a couple of weeks out phone them and ask if you are on the list. Immigration sends a list of people who have been approved to the council and the council send the letters.

Edited by MaggieMay24

Guest Guest226914
On 11/7/2017 at 09:49, Eddie0719 said:
Thanks Themaccas [emoji4]
Time line
Ceremony – Waiting

Well I applied January 2017 and still nothing. I don’t see why March/April should get approved before January.

Edited by MaggieMay24

Finally! Our Australian Migration Journey saw its end today (3,547 days since I first arrived on a student visa!!) Our timeline (Wife and I had exactly the same time-line):

Eligible for Citizenship: 04/04/2017

Citizenship Applied: 04/04/2017

Test Date: 25/07/2017

Approval Letter Date: 01/08/2017

Ceremony Date: 30/10/2017

Applied Passports: 31/10/2017

Enrolled to Vote: 03/11/2017

Passport Received: 07/11/2017

Thank you everyone who assisted, stood-by and advised. To those are waiting, hang tight. It is totally worth it.

All The Best!

50 minutes ago, shash121 said:

Finally got the approval letter guys!!

Timeline

Application- 07/03/2017

Test 02/08/2017

Appproved- 30/10/2017

Letter received 08/11/2017

Ceremony - pending

Hopefully will be able to do the pledge soon.

Hope you guys get your approvals soon. All the best!!

Wow, Big Congratulations to you! Waiting for a ceremony invitation letter should be easier and shorter than waiting for the Approval letter.  I'm still waiting for the Approval letter, today is 139th day since test completed...

• Like 1

On 06/11/2017 at 15:27, Sheila said:

I agree with you. Because of the stunt of trying of changing rules and later, a miserable defeat in passing the bill in the senate has upset the whole ecosystem of the immi department.  They have also downsized the department last year.

The staff working at the department is now bombarded by hundreds of calls and emails every day. (120,000 pending citizen applications). They have now removed the mask of courtesy and empathy to the callers as they themselves cant do anything. There are now some processing teams which are hard to access even by the call centre staff. I would just say, it is an unfortunate situation in which we are all stuck. The situation will likely to continue to remain same unless some drastic rectification measures are taken by the department. 

Just wait and see.

Good luck.

All just shows how stupid the initial populist, no consultation idiotic announcement in April was

Australian governments are prone to making this sort of bad policy on the hoof and then backtracking. Fundamental weakness in the civil service IMO. They need a few Sir Humphreys saying “are you sure you want to be so courageous, Minister?”

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 15:09, Sheila said:

140 days and waiting

Hi Sheila,

We are on the same boat LOL. I have been waiting for more than 150 days since the test was done on 14 June, 2017 but there is still no approval letter. Quite annoyed and very disappointed at this Dept and its slackers employees. My application has been 12 months (paper application handed over to DIBP in person on 16/11/2016); called inquiry hotline but felt helpless.

They never sympathetic to those who have been waiting for so so long due to their problematic processing system and would be good at kicking the ball with the words 'case by case'. They are too powerful so that we cannot do anything except waiting, coz they always run around with the words 'doing checks' or 'case by case' to silence us when we r mentioning most others attended test much later have got approved. 

Don't believe they are pouring the approval letter these days, I would rather infer some irresponsible COs put aside certain unlucky applications like mine and those have already been waiting quite a few months. Frankly, it's unfair and not rational to address the applications in this way. Would u guys suggest us long-awaited applicants to make strong complaints to immi?   

Cheers.

Guest Guest226914
Hi Sheila,
We are on the same boat LOL. I have been waiting for more than 150 days since the test was done on 14 June, 2017 but there is still no approval letter. Quite annoyed and very disappointed at this Dept and its slackers employees. My application has been 12 months (paper application handed over to DIBP in person on 16/11/2016); called inquiry hotline but felt helpless.
They never sympathetic to those who have been waiting for so so long due to their problematic processing system and would be good at kicking the ball with the words 'case by case'. They are too powerful so that we cannot do anything except waiting, coz they always run around with the words 'doing checks' or 'case by case' to silence us when we r mentioning most others attended test much later have got approved. 
Don't believe they are pouring the approval letter these days, I would rather infer some irresponsible COs put aside certain unlucky applications like mine and those have already been waiting quite a few months. Frankly, it's unfair and not rational to address the applications in this way. Would u guys suggest us long-awaited applicants to make strong complaints to immi?   
Cheers.

I feel your pain. Mines coming up to 12 months also. I don’t know what checks they need to do. Surely they only need to check you didn’t commit serious crimes and you stayed the 4 years with 1 as perm resident. Not rocket science. This should be the easiest step of them all but it’s taking as long as my original partner visa and there must have been 10x the amount of checks for that one. I wish we could complain but nothing we can do. As I’ve said before they just expect us to be grateful.