AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

2 minutes ago, abhvor87700 said:

LOL - Weather is not the only thing we’ve got the upper hand on ;) Also, being a migration agent myself helps! Hope you’d join us in celebrating soon.

Talking about passports, the ceremony invitation letter “recommends” that we wait for 10 business days before making the passport application. Has anyone else had that on their letter? Wondering what is the connection there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About passport application, real cases of my friends in 2015-2016, once you get invitation letter of ceremony, then you can immediately book a passport interview the next business day after your ceremony, don't worry about '10 business waiting period'.  But you also can wait 10 business days if you don't need to go abroad soon after ceremony. 

About passport application, real cases of my friends in 2015-2016, once you get invitation letter of ceremony, then you can immediately book a passport interview the next business day after your ceremony, don't worry about '10 business waiting period'.  But you also can wait 10 business days if you don't need to go abroad soon after ceremony. 

Sweet, I had thought as much. Thanks

My partner had his letter of approval today. [emoji4]

We both had our test on 25th July and I got my letter of approval a week later but we have had to wait til today for his.

Hopefully we will get the ceremony this year. We are in Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

10 minutes ago, claireg said:

My partner had his letter of approval today. emoji4.png

We both had our test on 25th July and I got my letter of approval a week later but we have had to wait til today for his.

Hopefully we will get the ceremony this year. We are in Perth.

Hi Perth friends, I've been living Perth totally 7.5 yrs until this February.  My eligible data was 20 Feb, but I moved to Mel was 24 Feb...... LOL, get this long term waiting now~:(

1 hour ago, abhvor87700 said:

LOL - Weather is not the only thing we’ve got the upper hand on ;) Also, being a migration agent myself helps! Hope you’d join us in celebrating soon.

Talking about passports, the ceremony invitation letter “recommends” that we wait for 10 business days before making the passport application. Has anyone else had that on their letter? Wondering what is the connection there.

No connection to the recent changes at all - it has said that for years. Presumably it's to give them time to get their paperwork in order (they know they invited you to the ceremony but they have to cross check that you actually attended).

Hi Perth friends, I've been living Perth totally 7.5 yrs until this February.  My eligible data was 20 Feb, but I moved to Mel was 24 Feb...... LOL, get this long term waiting now~[emoji20]

I think we applied late February too. Good luck hopefully you will get yr letter soon too

19 hours ago, Ken said:

No connection to the recent changes at all - it has said that for years. Presumably it's to give them time to get their paperwork in order (they know they invited you to the ceremony but they have to cross check that you actually attended).

PR will be cancelled on the day you gonna attend your ceremony . You can check that on VEVO. I have heard from people applying for a passport on the day of their ceremony and they were fine. With the '10 days waiting period' it's more a recommendation  I reckon as there are citizenship ceremonies with sometimes up to 500 applicants and if everybody would apply for a passport straight after, well if leave it up to everyone's imagination. My partner applied for a passport after 4 weeks as we didn't have any international travel plans.

Edited by silencio

Hi Guys,
I have heard from a friend that the department of border protection is holding all applications that have been lodged before 20th April 2017. I understand that those have been lodged after 20th April 2017 are in the hold but what about the prior ones.  Any news?

Laura, that is not the case. Applications lodged prior to 20 April are still being or have already been processed. 18 October is the deadline for the government to decide on the bill and put it up for a vote.

21 hours ago, abhvor87700 said:

One can be a migration agent if one is a permanent resident!

Interesting. I enquired about it many years ago when I was only PR and was told citizenship was essential. Rules must have chnaged or MARA lied to me! 

How did being an agent help with the citizenship process, you seem to suggest it made it quicker -maybe more people should sign up as agents!! Why not put your MARA number in your signature, good way to get clients. 

W

Interesting. I enquired about it many years ago when I was only PR and was told citizenship was essential. Rules must have chnaged or MARA lied to me! 
How did being an agent help with the citizenship process, you seem to suggest it made it quicker -maybe more people should sign up as agents!! Why not put your MARA number in your signature, good way to get clients. 

W

The rules have been the same for ages. You don’t have to be a citizen to be a migration agent.

It helped me immensely to be a registered migration agent while applying. I knew exactly what and how an application was supposed to be made. How it was going to be processed and by when. Since I have many clients who use my services to apply for their citizenship application, I could also track the timeline!

As far as special preference for MARA agents in terms of processing time is concerned, there is no difference. The processing time is the same. Just like when you lodge a tax return. But, when you use a professional, you can rest assure that your application is presented in its best capacity to the department (if your agent is competent, most are) this can result in cutting down significant time if the department requests further documents. Especially when an application is self-lodged incorrectly or is incomplete.

Not a bad idea to put my MARAN in the signature but I don’t want anything I say here to be construed as Migration advice. Just general information. May be I will! Thanks!!

MARN: 1685881

Anything posted in this forum is not migration advise, the information shared is general. To seek specific advice, PM me.

Hi Guys,
I have heard from a friend that the department of border protection is holding all applications that have been lodged before 20th April 2017. I understand that those have been lodged after 20th April 2017 are in the hold but what about the prior ones.  Any news?

We lodged in Feb. Test in July. I got my approval in August and my partner got his this week.

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

Haven't posted on here in a long time but just after some opinions.

My partner applied for his Citizenship in Feb 2017, Sat and passed his test 15th July 2017 and we've still not had an approval letter (so nearly 3 months now). Not sure if this is unusual and we should be chasing them or not yet?? We actually moved states just after he sat the test but they apparently did the paperwork for change of address etc whilst at his interview. We do also have mail forwarding set up so theoretically if it went to the old address we should still have received it.

Guest Guest226914
Hey Brisbane friends, I really really envy you guys~[emoji14]
Big congratulations to ur Aussie citizenship and passport soon. 
Slow Melbourne, Longer waiting

You guys who have been waiting ages are waiting for approval letter AND invitation letter right? You haven't received anything since passing the test??

5 hours ago, george8181 said:

You guys who have been waiting ages are waiting for approval letter AND invitation letter right? You haven't received anything since passing the test??

Yes, I passed test in 22 Jun , today is 111st day waiting after test, still no any news about approval letter

I am trying to fill out the Citizenship application and there was a question there about your travel outside Australia since you turn 18. Will these include travels overseas while you are still in your country of origin? Or I only need to provide the travels outside Australia since I came here in 2013? Thanks a lot.

2 hours ago, Zet01 said:

I am trying to fill out the Citizenship application and there was a question there about your travel outside Australia since you turn 18. Will these include travels overseas while you are still in your country of origin? Or I only need to provide the travels outside Australia since I came here in 2013? Thanks a lot.

From what I remember it was all travel outside Australia since you became an Australian permanent resident, so if you were outside Australia when you got your permanent residency then yes, that stay in your country of origin needs to be included.

Hi. Sorry if this had been asked in god topic but there's 40 odd pages and I can't read through them all. 

Does thhe backlog for citizenship applications include the test date, or is it for the ceremony? 

I qualify to apply in January and am hoping to sit my test then return to the uk until I get a date for ceremony. I am hoping this happens within a reasonable timescale but who knows 

Perth