AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

10 hours ago, Boomerang8678 said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone is in the same situation. My one year PR eligibility for citizenship was supposed to be complete in July 2017. However in April 2017, the motion was passed to make PR requirement 4 years, thus making me ineligible. In July 2017 I still applied online and my application went through. In October I received the email stating that as the new law had not passed parliament, my application would be assessed against the existing criteria. However i have not received anything as yet. Not even a test invite. The status from Day 1 has been "Received" in the online Immi account. Just wondering if there is anyone else is the same situation or if anyone has any advice? Thanks!

Date applied: 23rd July 2017

City/Council area: Canterbury NSW

Online / Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 23rd July 2017

Test invite email: 

Date of the Citizenship Test: 

Date of approval: 

Ceremony invitation:  

Date of ceremony: 

Type of ceremony: 

Hi there, I'm in same situation, just slightly difference 
Online application on 28 march 2017
Test date 15th august 2017 ( passed it )
and that's it....I'm still waiting for my approval.

• Sad 1

My situation is similar to Oziee, just a bit longer. In 10 days it will be 17 months since application. No issues with eligibility.

I’ve called department and they told that 16 months wait time is now standard and there are lot of similar applications, when it will be over 16 months I should call. Will call them when it will be 18 months.

My situation is similar to Oziee, just a bit longer. In 10 days it will be 17 months since application. No issues with eligibility.
I’ve called department and they told that 16 months wait time is now standard and there are lot of similar applications, when it will be over 16 months I should call. Will call them when it will be 18 months.

Have you finished the test already??
Which state or council you applied from?
Are you from HR/LR country?

2 hours ago, NaiKoN said:

That is so disappointing. It seems those who applied during the "new rule decision" time was put on hold and applications were put at the bottom of the pile.

I hope you, Oziee and Boomerang8678 hear something back from DIBP soon.   

I'm still waiting for my ceremony invitation. Anyone here still waiting? 

1. Date applied: 24/02/2018
  2. City/Council area: Brisbane City Council 
  3. Online / Paper:  Paper 
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 27/02/2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 22/05/2018 
  6. Approval online: 25/05/2018
  7. Date of ceremony:  TBA
  8. Type of ceremony: 
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rockinteddy89 said:

8. Type of ceremony: 

Yours is a quick one, considering you just applied last February. Did you check your council when is the next ceremony?

2 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Yours is a quick one, considering you just applied last February. Did you check your council when is the next ceremony?

Yea really fast this one, I applied in Dec 2017, still nothing... Is it normal that some people get it in a few months and some can wait for ages??? I'm staring at my 7th month without anything and not even a test date.. 

If we are outside of Australia, does that affect the test date?? 

8 minutes ago, Animesh said:

Yea really fast this one, I applied in Dec 2017, still nothing... Is it normal that some people get it in a few months and some can wait for ages??? I'm staring at my 7th month without anything and not even a test date.. 

If we are outside of Australia, does that affect the test date?? 

Ours took 10 months in total, we got test invite after 6 months since lodgement and we are from Victoria. I believe they are looking at November and December applicants now. You should hear something back soon.

Are you in Victoria? I noticed that invites in VIC are lesser compared to other states, or maybe because most of the people that are active here in the forum are from those states.

As far as I know, you should be here in Australia to get a test invite. We went for a month holiday in March and got our test invite a week after we arrived here.

Did you indicate your travel in your application?  If you do, they will consider that before they send you a test invite and wait for your return.

Edited by Zet01

2 hours ago, rockinteddy89 said:

8. Type of ceremony: 

Yes! Had test approval in early June. Still waiting on ceremony date

5 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Ours took 10 months in total, we got test invite after 6 months since lodgement and we are from Victoria. I believe they are looking at November and December applicants now. You should hear something back soon.

Are you in Victoria? I noticed that invites in VIC are lesser compared to other states, or maybe because most of the people that are active here in the forum are from those states.

As far as I know, you should be here in Australia to get a test invite. We went for a month holiday in March and got our test invite a week after we arrived here.

Did you indicate your travel in your application?  If you do, they will consider that before they send you a test invite and wait for your return.

Thanks for that in sight... Helped... I applied from Sydney, and I left around March... And I won't be back until December, but I'm sure I spoke to them before I left and mentioned that I'll be away for a while due to some family issues, and they did say that they will send me an email for the test date... Hence I've been waiting.. 

But I reckon, you are right, they will probably wait for me to get back and then send me a test date... Hopefully that's not too long duration,, can they cancel my application if I'm away for 8 months or so?? 

Hi Guys,

One quick question, i applied my citizenship application online through immi account on 08/02/2018. Its showing status 'Received' in my immi aacount but I didn't received any acknowledgement email in my email Inbox. Is it matter? Please advise guys. Thank you.

Edited by Saz12
Wrong word

19 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Didn't know there's lots of people waiting for their test/approval until now. I haven't called the council, but I will in my free time. 

15 hours ago, Rorz said:

Yes! Had test approval in early June. Still waiting on ceremony date

Hopefully they send out the letters soon. 

On 02/08/2018 at 13:33, Zet01 said:

Hi @Boomerang8678, have you tried checking your junk mail inbox? Some of my friends test invite was found in their junk mail. As your application is more than 12 months since lodgement, I suggest you call the DIBP and for a status.

Current timeline is showing 14 months up to 17 months but I believe that is for the whole process - lodgement to ceremony; and since yours is still received after a year, you better ring them up for update.

Hi Zet01. Yes I have been checking my junk mail regularly, Never had any go through to the junk mail folder. Was just wondering the same thing. It says 14-17 months so was not sure if I should make the call. but will call them Monday. Thanks!

On 03/08/2018 at 07:06, Oziee said:

Have you finished the test already??
Which state or council you applied from?
Are you from HR/LR country?

Yes, passed the test with 100% in the beginning of July 2017. 

I am from Brisbane, Qld and I applied online. What I noticed that Brisbane team is slow ?

Sine the country is not Low risk countries I guess it’s HR country.

Now it’s 17 months ? Wonder when it’s  going to end with 24 months...

Edited by NaiKoN

On 03/08/2018 at 11:58, Zet01 said:

On 04/08/2018 at 07:51, rockinteddy89 said:

Didn't know there's lots of people waiting for their test/approval until now. I haven't called the council, but I will in my free time. 

Hopefully they send out the letters soon. 

Omg very quick for Brisbane ! We are still waiting from first week January 2018 - nothing still ........ why are some quick and others just going into a black hole at Brisbane ......  anyone know how they manage applications ???? Is it just luck ? We are regular UK applicants .....?

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:57, Animesh said:

Thanks for that in sight... Helped... I applied from Sydney, and I left around March... And I won't be back until December, but I'm sure I spoke to them before I left and mentioned that I'll be away for a while due to some family issues, and they did say that they will send me an email for the test date... Hence I've been waiting.. 

But I reckon, you are right, they will probably wait for me to get back and then send me a test date... Hopefully that's not too long duration,, can they cancel my application if I'm away for 8 months or so?? 

I am guessing that is the reason why you have not received your test invite yet.

I am not sure if there is a clause for cancellation if you are away after lodgement, the only one I know is - after approval, you have to do the ceremony within a year.

You need to be in Australia for the test and approval, since the invite comes close to the test they might not invite you if you are overseas.

There are circumstances where test can be taken overseas might be worth investigating if you are not planning on returning soon. 

With regards to the processing times quoted on the immigration website. Should we be referring our applications against the processing times at the time of submittal (10 - 14 months for me back in June 2017) or to the current processing times (14-17 months). The reason I ask is that I called to query when my ceremony date would be and they said I was still under the current processing times. I am now post 14 months which is more than the processing times at the time when I first received confirmation of receiving my application. 

1 hour ago, Rorz said:

With regards to the processing times quoted on the immigration website. Should we be referring our applications against the processing times at the time of submittal (10 - 14 months for me back in June 2017) or to the current processing times (14-17 months). The reason I ask is that I called to query when my ceremony date would be and they said I was still under the current processing times. I am now post 14 months which is more than the processing times at the time when I first received confirmation of receiving my application. 

@rorz when's ur approval date?

1 hour ago, Rorz said:

@rorz,

for citizenship ceremonies held by council of northern beach there will be 3 ones till year end. do you think there's many immigrant in your council ?

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/services/citizenship/citizenship-ceremonies

18 hours ago, whtzau said:

@rorz,

for citizenship ceremonies held by council of northern beach there will be 3 ones till year end. do you think there's many immigrant in your council ?

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/services/citizenship/citizenship-ceremonies

Impossible to answer that question. I have no idea how many people from the north shore are applying for citizenship

On 31/07/2018 at 12:47, Sheila said:

Final timeline

Date of application: 18 April 2017
Test : 23 june2017
Approval: 28 April 2018
Citizenship ceremony: 10 July 2018
Passport application: 13 July 2018
Passport received: 31 July 2018

Congratulations Sheila ! Did the online status change from approved to finalised when you received a ceremony invitation or when you attended the ceremony? Or no change just approved?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraSmith said:

Congratulations Sheila ! Did the online status change from approved to finalised when you received a ceremony invitation or when you attended the ceremony? Or no change just approved?

it changed 7 days after attending the ceremony. My ceremony was on 10 July and the status changed from approved to finalised on 17th July. So it is not always changed on the day of the ceremony.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheila said:

it changed 7 days after attending the ceremony. My ceremony was on 10 July and the status changed from approved to finalised on 17th July. So it is not always changed on the day of the ceremony.

It won't change until immigration receive confirmation from the council that you have attended the ceremony. However, you become a citizen as soon as the ceremony takes place, the online status is irrelevant