AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

29 minutes ago, rockinteddy89 said:

Nope, nothing. It's really frustrating. Waiting for ceremony shouldn't take 6 months. My sister in UK only took a week to do her ceremony. I don't know why in Australia takes ages to do a ceremony. ???

It depends on your council.  Some have a backlog of people waiting.  We got a ceremony date within a month of approval. 

Hi All. I received my ceremony invite yesterday so here is my updated timeline. One month short of 12 months end to end. Best of luck to everyone still waiting - it's frustrating but you'll all get there in the end :)

Date applied: 21 Oct 2017

City/Council area: Bayside Council, NSW

Online / Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 21 Oct 2017

Test invite email: 

Date of the Citizenship Test: 01 Jun 2018

Date of approval: 16 Jun 2018

Ceremony invitation:  13 Aug 2018

Date of ceremony: 25 Sep 2018

5 hours ago, hjq83 said:

Hi All. I received my ceremony invite yesterday so here is my updated timeline. One month short of 12 months end to end. Best of luck to everyone still waiting - it's frustrating but you'll all get there in the end ?

Test invite email: 

congratulations!  Did you took your visa copy also along with you for interview.

12 hours ago, ahad12 said:

congratulations!  Did you took your visa copy also along with you for interview.

I did just because I have all my paperwork for my various visa applications etc held in one folder so I just took the lot. BUT you don’t need to ?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hjq83 said:

Hi All. I received my ceremony invite yesterday so here is my updated timeline. One month short of 12 months end to end. Best of luck to everyone still waiting - it's frustrating but you'll all get there in the end ?

Test invite email: 

Congratulations @hjq83!

Hello everyone! I received my ceremony invite yesterday. ? And I am over the moon. ??

Here's my timeline:

Date Applied : Feb 2018

Online/Paper : Paper

Date received the acknowledgement : Feb 2018

Test appointment received : April 2018

Citizenship Test : May 2018 

Date of Approval : May 2018

Ceremony Invitation : Aug 2018

Date of Ceremony : September 2018

Good luck to everyone. It's kinda a bit frustrating but you'll all get there. ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockinteddy89 said:

Hello everyone! I received my ceremony invite yesterday. ? And I am over the moon. ??

Here's my timeline:

Good luck to everyone. It's kinda a bit frustrating but you'll all get there. ??

Congrats @rockinteddy89! 7 months processing is really fast!

• Thanks 1

Hi All, I've been following this forum for my partner.

His details are:

Email for test date just came through on 16/08/2018. Test is on 03/09/2018

Date applied - 19/04/2018

City/Council area - Darwin NT

Date received the acknowledgement email - 19/04/2018

Edited by kirsty160990
spelling

On 15/08/2018 at 15:30, rockinteddy89 said:

Here's my timeline:

congrats

• Thanks 1

On 28/07/2018 at 21:37, Adelaider said:

Hi

Don't worry, this is normal process. After 7 months of start your TB pills, doctor will compare your x rays if all good he will send report to Govt and your visa application will get approval.

It is better if you explain when you started your treatment. If anybody don,t have medicare still TB treatment is free for everyone. So calculate 7 to 8 months after your treatment started, if you contact immigration office too frequent then they will ask more clarification from doctor as well as from you. I hope it will help you

Thanks Mate for your response !!

I'm on TB pills from Jan 2018, every month I visit doctor for follow up.  Doctor told me that treatment will go up to 12 months, 8 months has been passed now. 

Doctor will do my x rays after 12 months. 

Question :

-  Can I ask doctor to do my x ray and if everything comes normal send report to Govt so my visa can be processed?

Or 

DO not ask anything to doctor, just wait for treatment to be completed and then ask to send report to Govt? 

On 03/08/2018 at 11:52, rockinteddy89 said:

I'm still waiting for my ceremony invitation. Anyone here still waiting? 

1. Date applied: 24/02/2018
  2. City/Council area: Brisbane City Council 
  3. Online / Paper:  Paper 
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 27/02/2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 22/05/2018 
  6. Approval online: 25/05/2018
  7. Date of ceremony:  TBA
  8. Type of ceremony: 

Hi rockingteddy89

Congrats on the speedy process to date, others seem to have waited a lot longer than it's taken for you!  

Have you got a ceremony date yet?

I submitted my application online today (Sunday 19/08/18). I'm Brisbane based too and hoping things will be quite speedy for me!

1. Date applied: 19/08/2018
  3. Online / Paper:  Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 19/08/2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test:  TBC 
  6. Approval online:  TBC
  7. Date of ceremony:  TBC
  8. Type of ceremony: 

I'd love to hear timescales for other Brisbane applicants (and others cities/states) and whether they are online or paper applications.

Good luck to everyone.

Simon.

Edited by Simonrbh
  • Thanks 1

Hello All

I am new to this forum. I am just curious about test day. I know they see original documents what you have uploaded. But Does the interviewer ask a lot of questions about persona lifel/professional life/employment status questions?

Here's my timeline:

Date Applied : 1 May 2018

Online/Paper : Online

Date received the acknowledgement : 1 May 2018

Test appointment received : waiting

Citizenship Test : ---

17 hours ago, Simonrbh said:

Hi rockingteddy89

Congrats on the speedy process to date, others seem to have waited a lot longer than it's taken for you!  

Have you got a ceremony date yet?

I submitted my application online today (Sunday 19/08/18). I'm Brisbane based too and hoping things will be quite speedy for me!

1. Date applied: 19/08/2018
  3. Online / Paper:  Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 19/08/2018
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test:  TBC 
  6. Approval online:  TBC
  7. Date of ceremony:  TBC
  8. Type of ceremony: 

I'd love to hear timescales for other Brisbane applicants (and others cities/states) and whether they are online or paper applications.

Good luck to everyone.

Simon.

brisbane seems to be a nightmare for many i know waiting .....ours was submitted 3/1/18........acknowledgement only....... we are straight forward applicants...... intrigued if the perosn who go thro very quickly had any special issues ?  insider knowledge ? lol

mates i know waiting from 10/17 still  for brisbane ........

On 15/08/2018 at 16:00, rockinteddy89 said:

Here's my timeline:

Hi @Simonrbh, thank you! Here's my final timeline. ? Here's hoping yours will be as quick as mine. ? Waiting can be quite frustrating. After I got my approval, I became impatient. ? But y'all get there. Trust me there's no special treatment or whatsoever. ?? 

15 minutes ago, Elliot kan said:

Did anyone hear anything about the government's second attempt of passing the new citizenship bill next month ?

My only concern is they do this retrospectively like the first time they did...

Welcome your comments on this.

I thought it was supposed to go through by July 2018 but it didn't progress. I haven't heard anything since but been looking nearly every other day. I've not found anything about it coming up again next month although everytime I see that Peter Dutton on the news my heart skips a beat..... I'm due to apply in Feb 2019....

Original birth certificate missing....

Just slowly starting to gather all paperwork ready for our citizenship submission early next year but have a slight issue with my wifes birth certificate.

She's from Thailand and her original went missing years ago. When going for our PR, we thought we needed it and literally spend 5 days going through hundreds of paper records at the local Amphur Office (district council office) unsuccessfully looking for a copy. What's happened is she grew up in Hong Kong and has HK permanent residency too. When she was a child, her mum couldn't find the original for her HK residency so took the only original carbonated copy from the Thai Amphur, took a photocopy of it and then lost the original copy (!!)

What we have is:

A photocopy of the 'original' carbon copy

A photocopy of a certified English translation that was used for her HK residency.

An original letter in Thai, formally translated in English, all certified and sealed by the Thai Ministry of Consular Affairs that confirms her identity, national ID number, date of birth, place of birth, mother and fathers name. Apparently it's very common in Thailand not to have a birth certificate if you're over a certain age and this original document is formalised for purposes of passports and things. 

She also obviously has her original national ID card (which is linked to the numbers on the birth certificates), passport (plus all old ones), marriage certificate, name change certificate (through marriage). Also Australian driving licence, Hong Kong permanent residency ID and we have all our PR details, plus mortgage, land/house ownership details etc.

All of the above was fine for our PR grant.

The citizenship application form says that when it comes to the appointment, all original documents must be provided.

Are we really stuck without the original birth certificate or would you think the original consular letter was OK?

The copies of the original carbon copy and certified English translation are good quality and I have some close long term friends here in qualified positions that could sign them to say certified copies of originals here but no sure if that's pushing it a bit.

There must be other people that have found themselves in this situation, for example, if originals are lost in a fire or flood so any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks a lot ?

@imthedave i think it might be luck of the draw on your case officer, i had a similar issue in that i did not have an original copy of my birth certificate as my parents missed placed it, i used my copy(which was certified) i had for PR and for online citizenship application and when i went for my interview and test i was asked where my original was and i said this is all i have and have used to submit for visa and passports in Australia and the UK and my case officer was fine.

However I have heard of some not been as nice and accepting and in that case i would have had to apply for an original through the South African home affairs department which can take as long as 12 months before you get the original. 

1 minute ago, Vinnyrussell said:

@imthedave i think it might be luck of the draw on your case officer, i had a similar issue in that i did not have an original copy of my birth certificate as my parents missed placed it, i used my copy(which was certified) i had for PR and for online citizenship application and when i went for my interview and test i was asked where my original was and i said this is all i have and have used to submit for visa and passports in Australia and the UK and my case officer was fine.

However I have heard of some not been as nice and accepting and in that case i would have had to apply for an original through the South African home affairs department which can take as long as 12 months before you get the original. 

Ah ok thanks.

In Thailand, they don't reissue originals. The certified letter confirming birth details I mentioned above is as good as it gets as a 'new original'. Basically it confirms all the details of the birth certificate and is formalised by the Government. Hopefully that will be OK because we have everything else.