AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

1. Date applied: 22/3/16

2. City/Council area: Maribyrnong, Melbourne

3. Online / Paper: Online

4. Date received the acknowledgement email: same day - 22/3/16

5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 16/05/16 ( Initially it was 7th June but I changed it to 25th May. I just got the email today 14th May :) again changed it to 16th May and passed the test with 100%. I asked the officer about Ceremony date and he said There are still more than 300 people waiting in my council (Maribyrnong, Melbourne) so it will take more than 3 months to get invited. Finger crossed .

6. Date of ceremony: awaited.....

7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): normal

Update:

Received the approval letter today 23/05/2016 dated 16/05/2016. So it took 2 months to get approval now need to wait for Ceremony :)

When I did my test, I was told by the immigration lady that she would send out a letter requesting character references because I have spent criminal convictions in uk from 12 years ago. I have received a card today to say that the postman was unable to deliver a letter and I need to get it from the post office tomorrow. Is it likely that it's the letter from immigration? It's only been a week since I did the test, that seems very quick?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

When I did my test, I was told by the immigration lady that she would send out a letter requesting character references because I have spent criminal convictions in uk from 12 years ago. I have received a card today to say that the postman was unable to deliver a letter and I need to get it from the post office tomorrow. Is it likely that it's the letter from immigration? It's only been a week since I did the test, that seems very quick?

From what I have read here and from the Immi website, one week sounds pretty appropriate to me. Good luck and I hope it is a letter from the Immigration. :)

It was the letter from immigration requesting the character references. I am now in a bit if a tizz about who I can get to do this. There are very few people who I know in australia know about my convictions, it's not something I start a conversation with when I meet someone for the first time. It was a long time ago so I hardly ever think about it myself.. I though I would just need to pass the test and that would be it. I hate having to go through all of this again. I would have thought given that my visas have all been approved this wouldn't be an issue. I'm very frustrated right now.

It was the letter from immigration requesting the character references. I am now in a bit if a tizz about who I can get to do this. There are very few people who I know in australia know about my convictions, it's not something I start a conversation with when I meet someone for the first time. It was a long time ago so I hardly ever think about it myself.. I though I would just need to pass the test and that would be it. I hate having to go through all of this again. I would have thought given that my visas have all been approved this wouldn't be an issue. I'm very frustrated right now.

Oh no! That sounds really frustrating. Do you have to choose someone from a list of professions like the form 1195? Might have to post it to someone you know and do it that way. I had a similar problem of filling out form 1195 as I just moved from Canberra to Townsville (my husband is defence) and I hardly know anyone up here. Immigration didn't seem to care and asked me to go the long way about. So I had to post the photo down to a friend in Canberra and she had to post it back up.

Oh no! That sounds really frustrating. Do you have to choose someone from a list of professions like the form 1195? Might have to post it to someone you know and do it that way. I had a similar problem of filling out form 1195 as I just moved from Canberra to Townsville (my husband is defence) and I hardly know anyone up here. Immigration didn't seem to care and asked me to go the long way about. So I had to post the photo down to a friend in Canberra and she had to post it back up.

It has to be someone that knows me and knows about my past convictions, but who is not family. It's a total pain because I don't know many people other than my husbands family and I guess they would class them as my family. I also don't make a habit of telling people I work with that I have a criminal record so I'm stuck that way too!! I have a couple of friends but again, I don't really like to talk about my past mistakes. Just makes me wonder if it is even worth all the trouble.

It has to be someone that knows me and knows about my past convictions, but who is not family. It's a total pain because I don't know many people other than my husbands family and I guess they would class them as my family. I also don't make a habit of telling people I work with that I have a criminal record so I'm stuck that way too!! I have a couple of friends but again, I don't really like to talk about my past mistakes. Just makes me wonder if it is even worth all the trouble.

Only you can determine if it's worth all the hassle of an 'outing' but on the other hand you will find out if your friends are really friends in a sense of true friendship.

But what is wrong with living here as a long term permanent resident when the evolving situation may be too awkward for you? Many older people I know never obtained Australian citizenship

I would not recommend a conversation with work colleagues though!

Quick update ! I received the test appointment email yesterday :)

My timeline:

Applied online - 13/04/16

Email acknowledgement - 13/04/16

Test email - 24/05/16

Test date - 27/05/16 (originally 21/06/16. Managed to reschedule online)

City council - City of Glen Eira

Gotta start preparing for the test :) Good luck to everyone who's waiting

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Catalyst2012

My timeline:

Test email - 24/05/16

Cheers

Congratualtion! and wish you all the best for your test.

My timeline:

Test email - 24/05/16

Cheers

OOh Exciting news Catalyst2012!!!! Just a question - how did you manage to reschedule online and that too earlier than before? I am just anticipating a similar situation and might have to do that.

Good luck and hope to hear more about your ceremony date. :)

OOh Exciting news Catalyst2012!!!! Just a question - how did you manage to reschedule online and that too earlier than before? I am just anticipating a similar situation and might have to do that.

Good luck and hope to hear more about your ceremony date. :)

The appointment email contains a link to reschedule your appointment. So it presents you with a calendar view and you can choose any available appointment.. It's such a good system to have since you don't have to wait on the phone anymore!

The appointment email contains a link to reschedule your appointment. So it presents you with a calendar view and you can choose any available appointment.. It's such a good system to have since you don't have to wait on the phone anymore!

Oh wow! Thats so convenient. I am hoping to hear soon and see what dates are available for me. I will keep you posted. Good luck and I am sure you will ace it.

My letter doesn't include a link to reschedule my appointment. Maybe, it is different in every City/Council.

Rang Immigration and informed congratulations you got the ceremony date for 11th August. Good Luck everyone

Will they allocate the ceremonies 3 months in advance? When I call them they said the allocation is only one month in advance

My letter doesn't include a link to reschedule my appointment. Maybe, it is different in every City/Council.

Catalyst2012 was talking about the test appointment email. Most of us receive an email unless you have not allocated electronic conversation when applying. This email is sent out by DIBP and not the city/local council. Thats the Citizenship ceremony, and the council usually sends out a letter 3-4 weeks before the ceremony.

With the test, you can call as well, but this method of sending out a calendar view is WAYYY more convenient.

Catalyst2012 was talking about the test appointment email. Most of us receive an email unless you have not allocated electronic conversation when applying. This email is sent out by DIBP and not the city/local council. Thats the Citizenship ceremony, and the council usually sends out a letter 3-4 weeks before the ceremony.

With the test, you can call as well, but this method of sending out a calendar view is WAYYY more convenient.

Sorry about the confusion. I did receive the email for the test appointment and it didn't include the link. Mine is scheduled 3 months from now. I will just call to check if they have earlier available time.

Sorry about the confusion. I did receive the email for the test appointment and it didn't include the link. Mine is scheduled 3 months from now. I will just call to check if they have earlier available time.

Oh no, thats annoying! I have not received a test date yet but if the link is not included, I will be giving them a call for an earlier test appointment. Good luck.

Applied online - 19/5/16

Email acknowledgement - 19/5/16

Test email - 21/5/16

Test date - 26/5/16 (originally 13/7/16. Managed to reschedule, but had to go to Parramatta)

City council - Sydney city.

Officer said she will approve the application the same day after AFP check and computer citizenship test. So far no acceptance email.

Anyone got an invite to the ceremony lately? When was your application accepted? Just a thinking how long is the wait in Sydney.

Guest dubsydney

Just a quick update:

Application date:October 2015 ...finally last 24th of May 2016

Ive attended the oathtaking ceremony!

I wish all of you who are waiting patiently,will get the citizenship soon!

Goodluck mates!

Applied online - 19/5/16

Email acknowledgement - 19/5/16

Test email - 21/5/16

Test date - 26/5/16 (originally 13/7/16. Managed to reschedule, but had to go to Parramatta)

City council - Sydney city.

Officer said she will approve the application the same day after AFP check and computer citizenship test. So far no acceptance email.

Anyone got an invite to the ceremony lately? When was your application accepted? Just a thinking how long is the wait in Sydney.

They don't email the acceptance letters. It's snail mail only so can take a few days (or more depending of how often they deliver where you live).

1. Date applied: 27/04/2016
  2. City/Council area: Townsville
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 27/04/2016
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 13/07/2016
  6. Date of ceremony: TBA
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): TBA

Update:

Received the email just now about the test date. Now just a question regarding trying to change the test date. What is the success rate of bringing it forward? I did not get a link unfortunately so I will have to call. Tried just now and they are not accepting any more calls for the day. Also Australia Day 2016 ceremony in T'ville only had 100 people as compared to bigger cities like Sydney where they clocked apparently around 200. So I am wondering if I will be able to fit in this year for a the ceremony. Any ideas?