AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Hi,

We received our ceremony invite for August 9. My concern is that we are travelling overseas for a short holiday on August 16, I am not sure if we can get a passport that soon for our travel.

Best guess is we skip the ceremony and move it for the next ceremony date.  

Called department today and basically was told that there are a lot of applications with 16 months wait time and those who were processed with 8 months were extremely lucky.

Since it’s been only couple of days of my application been over 16 months I am still within acceptable timeframe and if my application is not processed within couple of months time I should call them again. 

22 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Hi,

We received our ceremony invite for August 9. My concern is that we are travelling overseas for a short holiday on August 16, I am not sure if we can get a passport that soon for our travel.

Why would you wait for the AU passport? Can you not travel on your other one? This is exactly what I am going to do with my short holiday. 

22 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Hi,

If you are interested, May be, you can apply for “Priority passport”. 

With Priority service, you will receive new passport in 2 business days. 

1 hour ago, AnneOz said:

Why would you wait for the AU passport? Can you not travel on your other one? This is exactly what I am going to do with my short holiday. 

You can travel abroad on a foreign passport but to re-enter Australia Australian citizens must use their Australian passport. Convincing Australian immigration is only half the problem. You also have to convince an airline to fly you to Australia despite not having a valid visa (any existing visa in your old passport is cancelled on the day of your ceremony). Really not worth the hassle. Get a passport.

2 hours ago, AnneOz said:

Once we attend the ceremony, our current passport is no longer valid. We need AU passport to travel overseas.

2 hours ago, bhagath said:

If you are interested, May be, you can apply for “Priority passport”. 

With Priority service, you will receive new passport in 2 business days. 

We already checked that with APO, the 2 days is just the processing + delivery from Austpost to APO. We have a very small window and do not want to miss our holiday as it was booked months ago.

Just now, Zet01 said:

We already checked that with APO, the 2 days is just the processing + delivery from Austpost to APO. We have a very small window and do not want to miss our holiday as it was booked months ago.

If I were in your situation I'd ask to postpone the ceremony.

6 hours ago, crunchy said:

Hi Guys , 

Anyone waiting for a test invites fro November 2017 ? I applied in last week of November and haven't heard anything since .?

Yes I applied 11th of Nov, got an email earlier this week for tests beginning of Aug - Sydney CBD.

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

If I were in your situation I'd ask to postpone the ceremony.

I called the hotline and they told me the same thing, miss the ceremony and they will put me in the next ceremony date.

I think that is the most likely scenario for us. We are lucky to finish the whole application in 10 months, and a few more months of waiting for the next ceremony will probably won't hurt.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

You can travel abroad on a foreign passport but to re-enter Australia Australian citizens must use their Australian passport. Convincing Australian immigration is only half the problem. You also have to convince an airline to fly you to Australia despite not having a valid visa (any existing visa in your old passport is cancelled on the day of your ceremony). Really not worth the hassle. Get a passport.

Ah yeah, didn't think of that ?

Hi all

I applied for citizenship on 16 November and just received my interview and test date for August 13 in Sydney CBD.

I’m actually grains to the UK tomorrow and returning on 11 August - doubt I’ll grt much time to ‘study’. Anyone know how much studying is required - unsure of to stick with date or request a reschedule?

thanks

17 minutes ago, Melbelle said:

Hi all

I applied for citizenship on 16 November and just received my interview and test date for August 13 in Sydney CBD.

I’m actually grains to the UK tomorrow and returning on 11 August - doubt I’ll grt much time to ‘study’. Anyone know how much studying is required - unsure of to stick with date or request a reschedule?

thanks

Just download the Our Common Bond booklet and read chapters 1-3 and you'll be good. Some people tend to study longer, some don't.

You can also try this link for some mock tests: http://www.aussiecitizenshiptest.com/free-test/1

Edited by Zet01

17 minutes ago, Melbelle said:

Hi all

thanks

Though I didn’t give my test yet, I can say that, an hour or two will be more than enough to prepare well. 

You will have to read only few pages in “Common Band” for test. 

Best of luck.

Hi Guys, Good luck for grants!!

I have one query regarding Tuberculosis (TB), hopefully someone help me on this form.

I have applied 887 visa, waiting for grant since 11 months and currently on bridging visa. Tuberculosis (TB) has been detected and I'm on treatment under medicare.

887 Global processing time is 7 to 10 months, however its been 11 months,  haven't heard anything from department yet. 

My Question is :

- Can department refuse my 887 visa (permanent residency) on the ground of Tuberculosis.

- Or department is waiting for my treatment to be finished before grant me 887 visa (permanent residency). 

I'm very much worried due to silence from department. If anyone has the knowledge or encountered the same condition, please advise on my case.

A little help would be appreciated !! Thank You...

On 18/07/2018 at 09:00, crunchy said:

Hi Guys , 

Anyone waiting for a test invites fro November 2017 ? I applied in last week of November and haven't heard anything since .?

Hi - I applied 19NOV17 and have heard nothing further since the automated 'received' status that same day. So 8 months so far. Hope to hear something about a test date within next 4 months. Thx.

20 hours ago, Deepak Sharma said:

Hi Guys, Good luck for grants!!

I have one query regarding Tuberculosis (TB), hopefully someone help me on this form.

I have applied 887 visa, waiting for grant since 11 months and currently on bridging visa. Tuberculosis (TB) has been detected and I'm on treatment under medicare.

887 Global processing time is 7 to 10 months, however its been 11 months,  haven't heard anything from department yet. 

My Question is :

- Can department refuse my 887 visa (permanent residency) on the ground of Tuberculosis.

- Or department is waiting for my treatment to be finished before grant me 887 visa (permanent residency). 

I'm very much worried due to silence from department. If anyone has the knowledge or encountered the same condition, please advise on my case.

A little help would be appreciated !! Thank You...

Hi Seniors...Please advise on my Query...

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:57, Deepak Sharma said:

Hi, your query is about your 887 visa, which is a regional skilled visa. This thread is for Citizenship application, which is not related to your query.

The Administrator of this Forum might help to put your question in the right thread.  

On 13/07/2018 at 17:27, AnneOz said:

Not at all, the ladies were quite helpful actually. This is the first ceremony since May for my council and I don't think our one is a very busy one. I think they get annoyed if you are calling straight after the test and directly about the letter etc. something that does not come from them but from DHA. I knew the invitation letters were to be sent app 1 month before the next ceremony, so that's what I told them and asked I just wanted to check if my name was on the list for the next ceremony. I think that's fair if you are planning a trip you'd want to know and plan accordingly. 

Been 6 weeks since my approval. I called council again this morning. They cant tell me anything about being on a list for the next ceremony. So despite positive thinking and belief it looks like i will end up waiting the longest possible time from application to formal citizenship. Summer trip back to the UK now looks unlikely so another year before I get to take my aussie family for a visit to meet my side of the family. Going at xmas time the fares are triple the price and weather is awful. What a joke this whole process has been. 

11 minutes ago, Rorz said:

Been 6 weeks since my approval. I called council again this morning. They cant tell me anything about being on a list for the next ceremony. So despite positive thinking and belief it looks like i will end up waiting the longest possible time from application to formal citizenship. Summer trip back to the UK now looks unlikely so another year before I get to take my aussie family for a visit to meet my side of the family. Going at xmas time the fares are triple the price and weather is awful. What a joke this whole process has been. 

Assuming that your UK passport is still in date, what is actually stopping you? If you get invited to a ceremony and you're booked out of the country you just inform the relevant people and you will then be put on the next available ceremony.

There is no real joke in the process other than the long processing times.

4 hours ago, Rorz said:

When did you receive your approval?

Did your council tell you that the invite will come from them? Our Council mentioned in their website that the ceremony invite will come from DHA and that is exactly what happened. We got our ceremony invite  less than a month after my husband's approval.

5 hours ago, CockerSpaniel said:

Assuming that your UK passport is still in date, what is actually stopping you? If you get invited to a ceremony and you're booked out of the country you just inform the relevant people and you will then be put on the next available ceremony.

There is no real joke in the process other than the long processing times.

Application was on hold for 6 months whilst they went through the democratic process of voting the immigration bill in parliament. They made an immigration law reality on 20th April 2017 before making it legal in parliament so thats the joke in the process. 

Quick Timeline:

Applied on 7/11/17

Test Invite 6/7/18

Interview and Test for my wife 25/7/18 application approved

Interview and Test for me 26/7/18 application only received still

Case officer menitoned and documentation post test states:

3-6 weeks for approval letter

up to 6 months wait for ceremony dependent on council

Sydney CBD

P.S. I have a friend who had her test and interview Sydney CBD last month and had her ceremony in Mosman last week...