How to know if you’ve made the right decision?

niamhmulk

Hey guys... am feeling very homesick at the moment and am just interested to see - did anyone move over here with residency, and then realise soon after that it was the wrong decision for them? I’m still settling back into life in Sydney but constantly missing home and regretting leaving. Has anyone else experienced this, or did you love it straight from the start? 

I tend to think sometime humans would be very much affected by emotions.

So maybe you can try to recall what was the decision that you had made to move over.

And this might help you overcome the negative emotions or lead you in the direction that best suits you. 

Edited by Joesline

I hated it at first in Sydney but it was my dream to move to Aus so I figured it must just be the area I moved to and so left for QLD instead and loved it ever since! But everyone is different, my friend emigrated over and after a week felt she made a mistake and so went straight back to UK and never returned. Enjoy your time here while your here, you can always go back. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scubacam said:

I’m still in the uk but heading out next year, what are you missing about it
Here? Have you got family /friends?

I’m mainly missing my family, and my job. I’m a teacher and I miss the school so much. Even small things like my routines and swimming club etc. I’ve joined new clubs over here but it just doesn’t feel the same, like I’m forcing things that I know don’t feel right? 

17 minutes ago, xxlornaxx said:

I hated it at first in Sydney but it was my dream to move to Aus so I figured it must just be the area I moved to and so left for QLD instead and loved it ever since! But everyone is different, my friend emigrated over and after a week felt she made a mistake and so went straight back to UK and never returned. Enjoy your time here while your here, you can always go back. 

I lived in Sydney for two years before, then have just come back. I feel like I changed a lot in the time i was away and maybe now it’s not the right thing for me? Trying to ride it out and not make any rash decisions!

Did you  take a career break from your UK job (I do hope so) in which case you've got 12 months  to see how it goes. 

Personally, my head always told me that Australia was home but my heart never got with the plan - even after 32 years it still hadnt got the message and if I'd  known then what I know now I would not have continued to bang  my head against the brick wall for quite so long.

Sad  thing about being a migrant though is the perennial curse that you can never go back to what you had, only move forward to something better. If you can find something better in UK that is going to meet all your needs then move on. There's nothing in the rule book that says you have to love Australia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, niamhmulk said:

Hey guys... am feeling very homesick at the moment and am just interested to see - did anyone move over here with residency, and then realise soon after that it was the wrong decision for them? I’m still settling back into life in Sydney but constantly missing home and regretting leaving. Has anyone else experienced this, or did you love it straight from the start? 

Many, many, many people realise they made the wrong decision.  About half of all migrants end up going home again.  Australia is a foreign country, after all.  

Having said that, you might just be suffering from the initial shock of the move and will be fine once you've had a chance to settle down.  Only you can work it out.

I think it's easy to get the wrong impression of Australia when you're on a working holiday visa because it's all so new and exciting.  Even if you're working full-time, you have a sense of freedom because you know you're not trapped in the job, and you don't have to make long-term commitments.

I’m a teacher in the UK and I love my school. If i wasn’t leaving for aus , I’d never leave it. But I know I want a better life and a more outdoors life. Have you got any routines or part of swimming club there? Are u with anyone /family ?

Take a career break just in case! Never quit a job you live unless you have something better in hand.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, niamhmulk said:

Even small things like my routines and swimming club etc. I’ve joined new clubs over here but it just doesn’t feel the same, like I’m forcing things that I know don’t feel right? 

An observation from my own experience - stuff/things I miss from home, don't try and replicate it.  

For example, kebabs.  This may sound silly but every time I have a kebab over here I miss the fact that there isn't cabbage, I miss the fact the chilli sauce is weak shop bought piss - it makes me sad.  However HSP and Souvlaki - amazing as they are completely different and not competing.

Maybe you could try a different kind of swimming related activity, one that doesn't cause you to draw comparisons?

5 minutes ago, unzippy said:

An observation from my own experience - stuff/things I miss from home, don't try and replicate it.  

For example, kebabs.  This may sound silly but every time I have a kebab over here I miss the fact that there isn't cabbage, I miss the fact the chilli sauce is weak shop bought piss - it makes me sad.  However HSP and Souvlaki - amazing as they are completely different and not competing.

Maybe you could try a different kind of swimming related activity, one that doesn't cause you to draw comparisons?

Cabbage?  Whoever puts cabbage in a kebab?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Kebab shop here makes his own chilli sauce called ‘da bombe’..  powerful stuff

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

The Turkish do, best Donner in SE9 mate!

https://goo.gl/maps/CgfekHuEVTN2

After a couple of bad experiences with donner kebab I stuck with shish kebabs.  Never paid much attention to the ‘salad’ ingredients though I must admit.

And before you think it was late night kebabs after a skinful they were fine.  The problem ones were lunchtimes when I suspect the turnover was less and the carved meat was left standing too long.