Older person moving to Oz

Angel J-C

I am a fit Female of 72, with one child a citizen of Australia and two in the UK.  I am currently doing a double Masters in Ireland.  I would like to emigrate to Australia. Please can anyone advise me the best way and cheapest way to proceed, I have looked at the different visas and got very confused 

46 minutes ago, Angel J-C said:

Thank you for reply but I’ve heard differently. That is why I have proceeded on this site 

Who has told you differently? I’m afraid they’re wrong. You are well past the age to get a skilled visa of any kind regardless of your qualifications 

Edited by Marisawright

45 minutes ago, Angel J-C said:

Thank you for reply but I’ve heard differently. That is why I have proceeded on this site 

Well, you did ask for advice. I guess if you've heard differently somewhere else then they must know something that the rest of us do not. But from what you've said I don't think anyone else will tell you different but consult an agent and see if they can pull a magic rabbit out of a hat - nothing is going to be either quick or cheap.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Who has told you differently? I’m afraid they’re wrong. You are well past the age to get a skilled visa of any kind regardless of your qualifications 

How lovely of you to help. I’m not asking for a skilled visa. I just want to come here and enjoy Australia. 

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Well, you did ask for advice. I guess if you've heard differently somewhere else then they must know something that the rest of us do not. But from what you've said I don't think anyone else will tell you different but consult an agent and see if they can pull a magic rabbit out of a hat - nothing is going to be either quick or cheap.

Yes and your advice was great fully received.  It may be that’s it’s different due to age. I am trying to get experienced info off of those that have been there done that, as there is no better before I hit the consult/agent route. Cheers Quoll

You might get a longer visit visa that will allow you to spend a year at a time in Australia with 6 months out. Or do a permanent summer of six months in each country. You won’t get a visa that will allow you to work  or live permanently though. Retirement visas have been discontinued and investment visas cut off at 55 I think, certainly not for over 70s.

partner visa may be your only hope as no age limit on that. What visa were you told about. 

1 hour ago, Angel J-C said:

Yes and your advice was great fully received.  It may be that’s it’s different due to age. I am trying to get experienced info off of those that have been there done that, as there is no better before I hit the consult/agent route. Cheers Quoll

Most reputable agents will give you a free initial consultation, so that may be the easiest approach.  Try GoMatilda or Pinoyau.com.

The problem you're facing is that most countries do not want migrants our age, so they make it very difficult.  The reason is that, though you're fit and healthy now, statistically the great majority of people in their seventies and eighties need regular medication, and it increases as time goes on.  There's also an increasing need for intervention, hospitalisation and ultimately, end-of-life care.   During their working life, all Australians pay tax and Medicare levies to pay for those services in their old age.

When you move to Australia on a permanent visa, you immediately become eligible for all of those services, without having paid a cent.  That's why there's such a huge fee for the Parent Visa - to go some way towards paying for what you'll cost the taxpayer in your later years. As an Australian taxpayer myself, I think that's only fair!

The problem for you is that even if you could pay the high fees, you don't meet the "balance of famliy" test, which is one of the essential criteria for a Parent Visa.  Most of your children are still in the UK. 

I am flummoxed as to what other kind of visa you could apply for, other than visiting regularly on tourist visas. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Angel J-C said:

People in your situation won’t have been there and done it as you can’t. I’m sure you want to move to Oz and enjoy it, millions want that too. However, getting a visa isn’t easy and for most it’s not possible. Just the same the other way round. There will be many a 72 year old living elsewhere in the world that would like to move to be UK but they can’t.  People with children in Oz can look at getting a visa but as has been mentioned, only if they pass the balance of family test which means they have to have at least 50% of their children permanent resident in Oz. Whoever told you different is wrong. There are tens of thousands of parents curently waiting in queues to get a visa, all of which pass the balance of family test.  If only it was a as easy as I just want to move there.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2018 at 18:53, Angel J-C said:

Yes to answer your question we did it, but the visa/option is not available any more. Perhaps this is what you have heard about?

there used to be a long term temporary retirement visa the 410 which was stopped in 2005 to new applicants. Also the very expensive temporary investor retirement 405, which I think has also been stopped to new applicants? You would need to check that. 

We came in 2003 on the 410 retirement visa, which we renew every 10 years, we are fully self funded, can purchase a property, pay tax, don’t cost the country anything, no Medicare etc. but have the right to live here long term.

Apart from coming on a parent visa which I don’t think you qualify for or on a visitor visa, I think you are out of luck, but do consult an MA to make sure.

2 hours ago, Angel J-C said:

No Tulip I have been busy with family life. Hope you have had a wonderful holiday season too, whatever you have been doing. 

You are lovely being concerned for me. Warm blessings 

Stay in your beautiful country, Oz has nothing better to offer you in all honesty except for far hotter weather.

There is a new temporary 5 year visa for parents which will be available soon, which can be renewed for another 5 years I believe.   Otherwise, maybe one of the investor retirement visas but they are very expensive.   Others are right in that you do not qualify for a parent visa as you do not pass the balance of family test.  Otherwise one of the long visitor visas may be suitable.  As suggested it would be advisable to have an initial consultation with one of the reputable MARA registered agents who post on here such as Alan Collett.

58 minutes ago, Bridgeman said:

There is a new temporary 5 year visa for parents which will be available soon, which can be renewed for another 5 years I believe.   Otherwise, maybe one of the investor retirement visas but they are very expensive.   

I thought the investor retirement visas were closed to new applicants?   Also it's quite likely the temporary 5 year visa for parents will have the same "balance of famliy" test as the other parent visas, so that's not likely to help either.

As Ramot says there was a route but that is no longer available. That is often the problem people tell you how they did it or someone they knew did it, but rules change all the time and usually against immigrants, they rarely make it easier!

Have you looked on the Home Affairs website at all?

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:59, Marisawright said:

I thought the investor retirement visas were closed to new applicants?   Also it's quite likely the temporary 5 year visa for parents will have the same "balance of famliy" test as the other parent visas, so that's not likely to help either.

Yes, sorry just realise the investor retirement visa has recently been closed.  As I said it is always best to take advice from a qualified agent.  However, I do know there is no balance of family test for the temporary 5 year visa.

On 28/12/2018 at 16:28, rammygirl said:

As Ramot says there was a route but that is no longer available. That is often the problem people tell you how they did it or someone they knew did it, but rules change all the time and usually against immigrants, they rarely make it easier!

Have you looked on the Home Affairs website at all?

Thank you for your note. I will look at the Home Affairs site. Thank you for suggestion 

17 minutes ago, Angel J-C said:

Thank you for your note. I will look at the Home Affairs site. Thank you for suggestion 

I still think your best option is to consult a good agent.  Try pinoyau.com or ozimmigration.com.   Either of them should give you a free consultation.  If they can see a way to get you a visa, they will tell you.

The thing is, if they can't see a way to get you a visa, you have to believe them. They are highly reputable and experienced migration agents who deal with the minutiae of visas every day.  If they can't see an option, it doesn't exist.

It's tempting to think, "there must be a way round this" - but the harsh fact is that, for the great majority of the world's population, there isn't.  These days, Australia accepts only a narrowly defined range of people, which is getting narrower all the time.

Unfortunately there are many stories still circulating from before migration became so difficult, and that's what leads to people like yourself hoping for a miracle.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1