We are home at last

Davo453

So after a week back in Perth we are still in the honeymoon period i guess but my it's good to be home.

We lived in the uk for 11 years having gone there for just 5 to spend time with family, life and business just got in the way really.

There have been many changes in Perth in the intervening years and not for the worse that we can see. There are a lot more people but unless you do something daft like joining rush hour traffic or going to Ikea on a Sunday morning you wouldn't really know.

What is staggering is the difference in prosperity between WA and the UK they honestly don't know what a down turn is here. Sad to say that the UK is in a bad way right now no matter how much they fudge the figures.

We are not staying in WA though, we are doing a road trip to the East and will see if we like it but if not we will be back and will not be going back to the UK.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:36, Davo453 said:

So after a week back in Perth we are still in the honeymoon period i guess but my it's good to be home.

We lived in the uk for 11 years having gone there for just 5 to spend time with family, life and business just got in the way really.

There have been many changes in Perth in the intervening years and not for the worse that we can see. There are a lot more people but unless you do something daft like joining rush hour traffic or going to Ikea on a Sunday morning you wouldn't really know.

What is staggering is the difference in prosperity between WA and the UK they honestly don't know what a down turn is here. Sad to say that the UK is in a bad way right now no matter how much they fudge the figures.

We are not staying in WA though, we are doing a road trip to the East and will see if we like it but if not we will be back and will not be going back to the UK.

Hi, do you mind mea asking what's bad in the UK?  I'm thinking of returning for a few years while my youngest kids are young not to have their school disrupted too much.  We have been in Perth for 7 years. I have partner is Aussie.

23 hours ago, unsure said:

Hi, do you mind mea asking what's bad in the UK?  I'm thinking of returning for a few years while my youngest kids are young not to have their school disrupted too much.  We have been in Perth for 7 years. I have partner is Aussie.

What's bad we'll that's very hard to judge isn't it. It depends so much on where you live both in the UK and Australia, how much money you have and where your family or support base is.

For us we felt that to be honest we wasted the 11 years in the UK, financially at least we would have been much better off staying in Aus. However we had many adventures in europe but we had to work and making money this proved to be a real battle. Nothing is cheap in the UK especially in the cities housing and the general cost of living always goes up and wages are quit a bit lower than aus. 

Then there is the weather, all i can say there is i didn't have bad arthritis before we went and rightly or wrongly i attribute that to working a market stall in mid winter.

So it's horses for courses really but I wish we hadn't gone.

Welcome back 🙂

Have you seen many changes in the time you've been away? Every time we visit Perth I see so much infrastructure building going on. Roads being built, new houses going up. It all seems to be go go go. Feels like the stretch of 'Perth' could now be four reasonably sized towns pulled together! We love it out there, seriously considering a move from Brisbane.....

On 05/03/2018 at 22:23, LKC said:

Probably not helpful, but get a cat or two!  We had cockroaches (in my oven gloves amongst other places), but once we got our cats they were no more!  We didn't get spiders in the house either once we got them!

On 07/12/2018 at 06:33, unsure said:

On 10/12/2018 at 13:00, Ozzie said:

Welcome back 🙂

Have you seen many changes in the time you've been away? Every time we visit Perth I see so much infrastructure building going on. Roads being built, new houses going up. It all seems to be go go go. Feels like the stretch of 'Perth' could now be four reasonably sized towns pulled together! We love it out there, seriously considering a move from Brisbane.....

It is actually some 19 years since we lived in Perth we lived in Albany/Denmark for a few years prior to the UK and yes the changes are pretty staggering even the satnavs have trouble keeping up Google is your friend there.

The road infrastructure is amazing apart from the upgrade to Reid hwy etc when did the extension to the kwinana freeway happen! It almost goes to Busselton now amazing stuff.

But Perths old suburbs are still there and quite similar Ellenbrook is vast we objected to that year's ago as it used some of our land. It is as predicted just a dormitory town which is fine I guess and has a great Bunnings 😋

We could easily live in Perth we know the basic layout and finding a job for me at least would be no problems but it would be too easy to stay, so we are even now heading East.

I too am returning to perth in January after 19 years back in the UK. Have been back o  holidays regularly so not such a shock we were out at Easter.  Like the op I feel quite sad in the negative changes to UK massive  violent crime  poverty  ghost towns of bordered up shops. My children are bullied both by teachers and pupils. Can't wait to return to Oz x

On 12/12/2018 at 06:20, Davo453 said:

It is actually some 19 years since we lived in Perth we lived in Albany/Denmark for a few years prior to the UK and yes the changes are pretty staggering even the satnavs have trouble keeping up Google is your friend there.

The road infrastructure is amazing apart from the upgrade to Reid hwy etc when did the extension to the kwinana freeway happen! It almost goes to Busselton now amazing stuff.

But Perths old suburbs are still there and quite similar Ellenbrook is vast we objected to that year's ago as it used some of our land. It is as predicted just a dormitory town which is fine I guess and has a great Bunnings 😋

We could easily live in Perth we know the basic layout and finding a job for me at least would be no problems but it would be too easy to stay, so we are even now heading East.

Being pedantic it stops just south of Mandurah at Pinjarra Road, it becomes the Forrest Highway at that point (not that you notice). 😉

• Haha 1

Boom!  The move to Perth is back on:  Work have just pulled out of moving us to Sydney early next year, so we will be waiting until the house is sold and taking my wife back home!

We have visited on and off but are conscious Perth is a lot busier than it was when we left 15 years ago.  My wife grew up in Applecross and surrounds, and we lived there for 6 months before we left, plus family in Como, Vic park areas, so we will be looking to stay around that area.  Hopefully a dip in house prices offsets the drop in the pound...

• Like 2

All the best @Jon the Hat  🇦🇺 I've visited Perth on and off and always find it a wee bit busier each time. More going on in the way of festivals and attractions. It really needed this as, I felt, was lacking from the stuff going on, on the East Coast, however, obviously pop and proximity to other Capital cities probably had a lot to do with it. I still think WA has the best beaches in the world. Nothing like walking along the cool white sand early morning right down the bottom corner with not a soul insight for days. It's a truly magical place.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't compare with other Australian cities because I haven't lived in these places but Perth does seem pretty special. My sister lived in Sydney and was really impressed with WA as a whole when she got down to see us.

@Davo453 out of interest why are you going East, is it in case you are missing out somewhere? That's my only fear!

12 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

I can't compare with other Australian cities because I haven't lived in these places but Perth does seem pretty special. My sister lived in Sydney and was really impressed with WA as a whole when she got down to see us.

@Davo453 out of interest why are you going East, is it in case you are missing out somewhere? That's my only fear!

It's such a personal thing. I have a couple of friends who moved from Sydney to Perth and love it.  On the other hand, my niece, who loved living in Sydney, tried settling in Perth and hated it.   

• Like 1

On 28/12/2018 at 07:36, Marisawright said:

It's such a personal thing. I have a couple of friends who moved from Sydney to Perth and love it.  On the other hand, my niece, who loved living in Sydney, tried settling in Perth and hated it.   

Totally agree. Although my sister really liked WA, I'm sure if and when she does move she'll look back to Sydney. It has 'more going on.'

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2018 at 09:53, benj1980 said:

Not so much missing out is just that we lived in WA for decades and have sort of out grown it I guess. So far as are half way through Victoria and have liked most of the places we have past through, with the exception of port Augusta but we had 2 days of 48deg there which put us off rather. 

Edited by Davo453
  • Like 1

Horses for courses as they say.  I would have loved Sydney for a couple of years, but I am finding the commute into London everyday tiring, and looking forward to being able to get the bus train into the city in half an hour vs my hour and a half now. Main concern is finding a job at the appropriate level (Finance Director) without any resources sector experience - we know where we want to live.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So an update we have now been back in Australia for 4 months and in most of that time, we have been travelling across from WA in a caravan. If you get the opportunity buy a caravan and do the trip it is amazing to discover just how big the country is and what a diverse landscape it has. We wish we had done the trip many years ago.

We still liked WA a lot and have many connections to it but that was too easy and we decided to travel east looking for a home. None of the big cities have suited us but of them all Adelaide came close, possibly followed by Canberra the others are too big, we did traffic to death in the UK and don't need anymore if we can help it. 

We travelled right around the bottom of Australia and have finally settled in Queensland, to be exact Bundaberg. Bundy is a really nice city with a good climate it has most services that you could wish for having a catchment of some 100,000 people. Everywhere that humans live has its problems and Bundy is no different in that but not to any noticeable extent. It is over 4 hours north of Brisbane but we have no compulsion to go back there but if needed it is doable there and back in a long day.

So we have purchased a house (settles soon and in 30 days start to finish!) 1.2 acres with a 4 bed home and sheds for $260,000 not on a flood plain 11 minutes to the city 6 minutes to the beach could not be passed over. So here we will live for at least the next few years and who knows maybe forever.

• Like 6
  • Congratulations 3