Help with what to take, what to leave!

mrsr1976

No worries. I still have family over there. One family member has a house in Yanchep which has stood empty for a few years as he couldn't get a tennent. Yanchep National Park is a nice day out and there are some nice caves to explore. When I moved over to Perth in 2009 it was a very busy place. You simply could not rent a property that many people were moving there due to the mining oil and gas boom. The good thing now is that tents are a lot more affordable and there is an abundance of property to choose from. A lot of new teachers end up going up north to get a teaching job to start with. I spent a lot of time on Barrow Island in the Gorgon Project. What work will your husband do in Perth? 

He is hoping to set up doing photography. He has experience in the property market over here. I have a possibility of a job nearer central Perth for Jan so will need to move over that way after xmas. We love Yanchep Park and all like fishing and the quiet life.... Being from Cornwall originally, I'm not too worried about being in the sticks!

11 hours ago, VXRHSSV said:

Yanchep is lovely but not a great place for work.  NOR (SOR) you will learn these terms are not great for work. Nearest train station at the moment is Butler. Probably 30 mins away then at least an hour on the train into the city.

Not quite that far. 15 mins drive to Butler then 40 mins Butler to Perth on train.

Moot point though as noticed that OP will not be in Yanchep long-term.

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 03:28, mrsr1976 said:

Thanks to everyone for your replies and great advice! We just booked our flights!!!! We land on the 4th December emoji4.png
Think we are going to ship.our car too so we can stores some stuff inside that. Then the movecube looked great so we just need to figure out how much stuff we want to take. Then we will probably ship out winter clothes and books at a later date.
Just got to book accommodation now! I have a second interview for a teaching post on Tuesday so fingers crossed!!

Unless your car is something special I wouldn't bother with it. You might find you have to spend on it to have it Australianised. There are some good used cars here for a not bad price, specially private sales. I would go for an SUV here.

Don't bother with the fridge or freezer either. You will need a big one and there's usually a place in the kitchen for a big fridge freezer. One of the best things we did was have an ice and water dispenser and the fridge/freezer plumbed in to mains water. Just a flexible pipe at the back so you can still wheel it out.

It's amazing how much ice and cold water you need and our kids just got used to drinking that as it was handy. Never had coke or any fizzy drinks and now the kids don't like them. Sooner have water. When their cousins came over from the UK they opened the fridge and said where's the coke. They had to go and buy some.

1 hour ago, VXRHSSV said:

Most people drive big SUV's, utes, Toyota Landcruisers/prada, Nissan Patrol. You want to drive something big too just in case.. There's a lot of kids driving 6 litre utes as a first car and from a safety point of view it's best to be in a big 5 star safety vehicle.

It's very sad, because the reality is that big SUV's are killing machines as far as pedestrians, pets and cyclists are concerned. In an ideal world, people wouldn't be allowed to own them unless they could demonstrate a need for them.  But the trouble is, when everyone else on the road is in one, you end up having to get one in self-defence.

I got off the plane from Manchester when I moved over bought a European sports car and then twelve months on after hitting the kangaroo and joey in its pouch by Clarkson and seeing some of the crazy drivers about I decided to buy a 4x4 to protect the family. I was told in the first instance it was the wrong car but sonetines you dont always take advice. 

The amount of things people told me when I arrived in Perth which I didn't take onboard at the time but three years down the line finally did, I wasted a lot of time...

Moving overseas is a major challenge and it takes five years to settle in.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's very sad, because the reality is that big SUV's are killing machines as far as pedestrians, pets and cyclists are concerned. In an ideal world, people wouldn't be allowed to own them unless they could demonstrate a need for them.  But the trouble is, when everyone else on the road is in one, you end up having to get one in self-defence.

Good job then that there are no pedestrians in Australia ?

Seriously it is sad. people do it because if they have a crash they want someone else to die not them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

Good job then that there are no pedestrians in Australia ?

Seriously it is sad. people do it because if they have a crash they want someone else to die not them

The funny thing is that although people think a big SUV is safer, they are more likely to roll than an ordinary car, and the risk of whiplash is greater (because ordinary cars crumple and absorb some of the shock, whereas rigid-body SUV's don't and therefore more shock reaches your body). 

Think we'll leave the car... Too much hassle and we may be stuck with it over there..... Better to sell here for a bit of cash to buy something more appropriate over there! Are there a lot of camper /transit vans that are modified for sale over there. We currently have a Ford transit with an extra seat as we are a family of 4 so needed an extra seat. It's so handy as you can sleep in the back! We would want another one similar really

Hi there,  having had our small move cube arrive this week,  just thought I would share our personal opinions of what we were happy to unwrap and what we weren't bothered by!

Photos, pictures, books and personal 'junk' I am really glad we packed. Instantly makes it feel more homely.

Clothes and shoes- having moved in February I had survived 7 months without these clothes and shoes and really wasn't at all excited about the 4 other pairs of trainers, or other t-shirts etc that I had shipped by sea. 

Electrical's- decent stereo system, TV soundbar, dyson hot and cold fan- really happy we packed these- all work perfectly. 

Loads of ariel washing pods- probably not cost effective- but I like the smell! and very expensive in the UK shops here in Perth.

Things I wished we had brought over and didn't:- 

My biggest regret:- My car- mini cooper- I had it from new so knew how well / badly I treated it- European cars here are expensive. Wish I had been more organised and shipped it over.

more UK to AUS plug adapters.

Decent furniture (excluding wardrobes)- I have got most stuff from gumtree since being here- there is not the choice, especially not online, (loved amazon and eBAY in UK) like in the UK, plus its expensive, or takes 20 days to arrive. (maybe an exaggeration) 

Hoover!!!!! 

Very happy with Sevenseas too, I had large glass picture frames in my move cube- no scratches, no glass damage whatsoever. Door to door was 2.5 months and able to track on the website. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 16/09/2018 at 11:14, Cleowag said:

Bring everything, warm clothes are needed and they come in handy if you ever travel back to the UK,

Lego is the same price here and easy to buy but it’s good to bring the kids familiar things. We had a container and after clearing all the clutter and stuff we didn’t need, we brought most things. We’ve gradually replaced some over the three years we’ve been here but we were glad we brought what we did.

Think we’ve chatted before on Perth Poms, fellow teaching family here too. We are in Mandurah so will be a distance from Yanchep but let us know if you fancy a meet up when you get here.

Hi Cleowag, 

We lived in Lakelands before it got really built up with more homes and shopping centre etc.....got family in Halls Head. Where abouts in Mandurah are you?

On 27/02/2019 at 05:40, Aussiebird said:

Hi Cleowag, 

We lived in Lakelands before it got really built up with more homes and shopping centre etc.....got family in Halls Head. Where abouts in Mandurah are you?

I'm a teacher living in Wannanup 😀

• Like 1

On 28/09/2018 at 00:52, VXRHSSV said:

I got off the plane from Manchester when I moved over bought a European sports car and then twelve months on after hitting the kangaroo and joey in its pouch by Clarkson and seeing some of the crazy drivers about I decided to buy a 4x4 to protect the family. I was told in the first instance it was the wrong car but sonetines you dont always take advice. 

The amount of things people told me when I arrived in Perth which I didn't take onboard at the time but three years down the line finally did, I wasted a lot of time...

Moving overseas is a major challenge and it takes five years to settle in.. 

5 years? Why?!! Can't agree with that sweeping statement!

On 05/03/2019 at 08:58, Cleowag said:

We are in Seascapes! 😀

We could have mutual friends then! If you have children involved with Soccer, Rugby, Hockey, AFL that is... I don't know how long you've been in Mandurah (I've noticed only 15 posts) but any questions about schools I may be able to help.

We’ve been here for nearly four years, I usually post on Perth Poms . It’s hubby who is a teacher. We have a child who isn’t into team sports! Unusual for Australia but there you go. 😀 yep I’m sure we will have friends in common, it seems a very linked community down here!

• Like 1