36 minutes ago, Robbo1 said:

We’re do we start,first point of call,best areas for families  any info  would be gratefully accepted ...?thank you guys 

Hi. Tell us a bit about yourselves. What jobs you do, what visa you think you will be coming over on, ages and interests of you all. Australia is vast and families thrive all over. Work is probably going to dictate areas and then what is important to you and what you can afford the rest!

Hey jsmull87..

hope your very well.. your my 1st reply ? yay!!! 

Ok  brilliant, also I’m aware that it can take some time, I’m 39 years of age and about to start 2 -3 year electrical degree first to add to the scoring process.

So how does the whole process start, ? Do I contact a uk based emigration firm? 

16 minutes ago, Robbo1 said:

Hey jsmull87..

hope your very well.. your my 1st reply ? yay!!! 

Ok  brilliant, also I’m aware that it can take some time, I’m 39 years of age and about to start 2 -3 year electrical degree first to add to the scoring process.

So how does the whole process start, ? Do I contact a uk based emigration firm? 

An initial consultation with a MARA registered agent would help.  As well as qualifications you will need several years experience by which time you will be losing points due to your age.   Then your UK degree and experience will not help you much in your first job as you will need to gain Australian accreditation and earn  much smaller wage while doing this.

Some with first hand experience will no doubt help you with a few more specifics.

Hi amber..

hope you are well..

So I have myself 39, wife 36, son 10,daughter 8, son 6.

iv been in the flooring trade for over 15 years but have now decided it’s time for a new career change and I’m starting an electrical degree right now! 2-3 years.

my wife is hairdresser and has been doing that 20 years.

we’ve both talked about the move to oz over & over the past few years and always made excuses or somthing has always stopped us from making our dream a reality.

family life is a real must for us as we have 3 very adventureris  and sport mad children. 

We like the great outdoors and the idea of nipping the local beach for supreme family time is a dream we hope to make a reality,visa I’m presuming would be on a skilled? As I said I’m just getting me head around everything now and hoping to start the process.. 

Mara agent is definitely a good step. Most will do a free consultation so you know the facts. Also agree with Amber in that the points for age will balance out the degree and you may find it doesn’t hold the same value over there.

Can I ask who’s skills you plan on relying on?  

4 minutes ago, Robbo1 said:

Hi amber..

hope you are well..

So I have myself 39, wife 36, son 10,daughter 8, son 6.

iv been in the flooring trade for over 15 years but have now decided it’s time for a new career change and I’m starting an electrical degree right now! 2-3 years.

my wife is hairdresser and has been doing that 20 years.

we’ve both talked about the move to oz over & over the past few years and always made excuses or somthing has always stopped us from making our dream a reality.

family life is a real must for us as we have 3 very adventureris  and sport mad children. 

We like the great outdoors and the idea of nipping the local beach for supreme family time is a dream we hope to make a reality,visa I’m presuming would be on a skilled? As I said I’m just getting me head around everything now and hoping to start the process.. 

Good for you!

maybe have a chat with one of the migration agents on here to get a strategy worked out. Is hairdressing still on the long term list? Permanent visas have an age cut off of 45 these days I think and the government makes changes all the time. Don’t wait if you don’t have to, the door might close.

@Richard Gregan or @Raul Senise or @wrussell or @Alan Collett are all registered agents on here who will give an initial free consult.

Good luck

Sounds like you definitely need to speak to agent. So that’s your next step. Site admin appear to recommend this guy quite often. He does visit the site.

Richard Gregan - https://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/meet-the-team/

Also sign up to the down under centre webinars. Next one is 4th sept i think. Free and a good place to ask questions

2 hours ago, Robbo1 said:

If your kids are sports mad, then Australia is a good choice.  Don't set your heart on a beach lifestyle, though - it's rich people who live near the beach!  If you watch Home & Away, for instance, in reality a small house there would cost you over $2 million.   If you end up in a big city (which is where migrants end up), you may be living 2 hours' drive from the nearest beach.   

With your skills, you may be able to consider a smaller city or town where you can be closer to the beach and countryside.  Do your research on house prices

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If your kids are sports mad, then Australia is a good choice.  Don't set your heart on a beach lifestyle, though - it's rich people who live near the beach!  If you watch Home & Away, for instance, in reality a small house there would cost you over $2 million.   If you end up in a big city (which is where migrants end up), you may be living 2 hours' drive from the nearest beach.   

With your skills, you may be able to consider a smaller city or town where you can be closer to the beach and countryside.  Do your research on house prices

Not really true.

Maybe a house right on the beach with a beach view would be expensive but all the major Australian cities are on the coast.

In Melbourne where I live a lot of the cheaper suburbs in the West such as Point Cook and Werribee etc are close to the beach.

There are hundreds of suburbs n Melbourne and loads affordable near beaches. On the other side in cheaper areas like Berwick and Cranbourne I think it would only be 15 minutes to the beach.

If you can get to the beach in 20 minutes or half an hour in the car it is close enough for most people anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robbo1 said:

Do you think it’s a good idea to rely on wife’s skills? 

If she been in same trade for a long time then you may stand a better chance with her as lead application. I don't think you'll have enough experience in electrical industry and your age may go against you by time you qualify. At the moment cut off is 45 but you could get half way thru your degree and the age may be cut to 40. 

Speak to an agent for an assessment of your best chance for visa now. PR is a must as you wouldn't want to uproot your family for a temporary opportunity only. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Beffers said:

If she been in same trade for a long time then you may stand a better chance with her as lead application. I don't think you'll have enough experience in electrical industry and your age may go against you by time you qualify. At the moment cut off is 45 but you could get half way thru your degree and the age may be cut to 40. 

Speak to an agent for an assessment of your best chance for visa now. PR is a must as you wouldn't want to uproot your family for a temporary opportunity only. Good luck!

Totally agree with you. They are making it harder to settle here by the day. So might be a risky option trying to get a new qualification at yout age, with migration in your mind.

• Like 2

Guest 48niner
1 hour ago, Robbo1 said:

Thanks guys .. speaking today to an agent today.. so il get back to you all with the outcome! ?

try at least 3 agents for you to have options. Service quality, cost, sincerity to help and guide etc..