Seriously thinking of making the leap to Oz

56 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Depends what suburb you're looking at. They seem to be selling pretty fast and holding the price near us. Anywhere near the beach is a good investment.

I think what helps here are very few auctions, apart from the top end of the market, you have a good idea of the price and don't have to waste time.

Yes, I think the prices have pretty steady. I certainly haven't seen any screaming bargains around.

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What areas are you looking at for that price and what kind of house are you looking for?

I was original looking at Brisbane but the more I think about the weather and the fact that currently im on 60points im swaying towards Adelaide where I could apply for a state nomination.

I have my ielts re-sit next Saturday where I failed by 0.5 of a mark last time for all the 8s.

Queensland don't offer state nomination for metal fabricator but the other states do.

I like the modern look Australian homes but the Adelaide homes seem to look more like the UK (from what ive seen)

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Im comparing the houses that would be in my sort of range $500 - $600,000 and you seem to get more. I live in a place called Rossendale in the north west and although its not the worst place its also not the best with very little for kids to do.

If you looked at one of the nicer areas (and your not far from a scruffier areas) you would be looking at £270 - £350,000 for a detached house, 3 bedrooms and not the biggest garden with neighbours practically on your doorstep.

We are from Bury,, when we came 11 years ago, we sold our 'standard' 3 bed semi in Tottington and bought a bigger 3 bed on 2 acres,with pool, shed etc for the same amount, we are still in the same house and value wise prices here have risen around $80k since then, but still good bargains to be had if you look around and a massive variety of housing styles. 

This place is worlds apart from Rossendale, even though i think Rossendale is lovely (we had a family car repair business there for yearssss) and we certainly have no regrets about the move. You do seem to come across alot of Northerners here,lol, hubbys best mate is from Yorkshire.

Cal x

ETA - Sorry just seen your post about Adelaide, i am near (and was talking about ) Brisbane/ Gold Coast.

58 minutes ago, calNgary said:

We are from Bury,, when we came 11 years ago, we sold our 'standard' 3 bed semi in Tottington and bought a bigger 3 bed on 2 acres,with pool, shed etc for the same amount, we are still in the same house and value wise prices here have risen around $80k since then, but still good bargains to be had if you look around and a massive variety of housing styles. 

This place is worlds apart from Rossendale, even though i think Rossendale is lovely (we had a family car repair business there for yearssss) and we certainly have no regrets about the move. You do seem to come across alot of Northerners here,lol, hubbys best mate is from Yorkshire.

Cal x

ETA - Sorry just seen your post about Adelaide, i am near (and was talking about ) Brisbane/ Gold Coast.

The posh part of bury haha there are new fancy housing estates popping up all over totty and the surrounding areas, any bit of green then theres a house going up. They are on about starting to build on green belt land now.

The government are also after putting up another few thousand homes in Rossendale but traffic is already madness, schools are already full and you cant leave anything outside as theres groups of migrants taking everything.  Then to top it off the council are closing everything but putting your council tax up.

So you would choose Brisbane over Rossendale then?

I like the look of the houses in Brisbane and price wise Adelaide looks slightly cheaper, I may still look at Brisbane just depends on my ielts results as if I miss out again I cant be bothered re-sitting them again.

Where abouts was your garage?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lavers said:

The posh part of bury haha there are new fancy housing estates popping up all over totty and the surrounding areas, any bit of green then theres a house going up. They are on about starting to build on green belt land now.

The government are also after putting up another few thousand homes in Rossendale but traffic is already madness, schools are already full and you cant leave anything outside as theres groups of migrants taking everything.  Then to top it off the council are closing everything but putting your council tax up.

So you would choose Brisbane over Rossendale then?

I like the look of the houses in Brisbane and price wise Adelaide looks slightly cheaper, I may still look at Brisbane just depends on my ielts results as if I miss out again I cant be bothered re-sitting them again.

Where abouts was your garage?

Im glad we didn't have to do IELTS hubby wouldnt have stood a chance,lol.

Brisbane weather is much better, except this time of year when im wrapped up like an eskimo! lol.. There is so much to do and such a variety of landscape , suburbs vary so much there really is something for everyone.

We couldn't believe all the development when we came back last year, sad to see so many fields gone and our local pub closed down.

The body repair shop was at Bridge mills.

Cal x

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

Im glad we didn't have to do IELTS hubby wouldnt have stood a chance,lol.

Brisbane weather is much better, except this time of year when im wrapped up like an eskimo! lol.. There is so much to do and such a variety of landscape , suburbs vary so much there really is something for everyone.

We couldn't believe all the development when we came back last year, sad to see so many fields gone and our local pub closed down.

The body repair shop was at Bridge mills.

Cal x

Just gutted I failed first time and of all things on my speaking, ill pass them this time though its just a lot of messing about.

That's the thing with being in the valley the weather is generally miserable, we just have to remind ourselves that the minute we get out somewhere else for the day it will usually be a lot clearer.

They have done a good job in bury centre though and its always busy.

Was that in Edenfield?

Mark

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Just gutted I failed first time and of all things on my speaking, ill pass them this time though its just a lot of messing about.

That's the thing with being in the valley the weather is generally miserable, we just have to remind ourselves that the minute we get out somewhere else for the day it will usually be a lot clearer.

They have done a good job in bury centre though and its always busy.

Was that in Edenfield?

Mark

I hardly recognised Bury center and i worked on the market there for years,lol.. I did hit Primark with a vengeance and introduced my daughter to it, she was only 3 when we left for Aus so was quite happy spending a fortune in there and of course i popped onto the market for a Bury Black pudding (oh i miss them so much)..

Yes the workshop was in Edenfield.

Good luck with the IELTS, let us know how you get on. The aussies don't understand our accent either so you will have fun when you arrive,lol..

Cal x

36 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I hardly recognised Bury center and i worked on the market there for years,lol.. I did hit Primark with a vengeance and introduced my daughter to it, she was only 3 when we left for Aus so was quite happy spending a fortune in there and of course i popped onto the market for a Bury Black pudding (oh i miss them so much)..

Yes the workshop was in Edenfield.

Good luck with the IELTS, let us know how you get on. The aussies don't understand our accent either so you will have fun when you arrive,lol..

Cal x

My daughter didn't really like Primark when she stopped off in the UK on her way home - I've only had black pudding slices here, not a whole black pudding, used to love them.

2 minutes ago, ali said:

My daughter didn't really like Primark when she stopped off in the UK on her way home - I've only had black pudding slices here, not a whole black pudding, used to love them.

Bra's , Knickers ,Socks and Pjs, is what she zoned in on,lol  I didn't think it was as good as it used to be ,but still some bargains..

Ive tried so many black puddings here and they just dont taste the same,so i have stopped buying them. I still get my Potato Cakes, Pork Pies and Scotch Pies from the pommy butcher every few weeks though,my friend thinks im mad paying $12 for 2 Pork Pies,lol

Cal x

• Like 2

Gosh all these northern folk I am a community midwife in bury. Although  we live in Rochdale near Hollingsworth lake. Still waiting for my kids visas to be sorted and I will be back in Australia after leaving 18 years ago. Although  I adore the north of England  my soul yearns for the wide open space of Australia.  Sadly my children find the pace of life  and the terrorism threat and daily reports of local violence scary  so looking to come back to sleepy old perth. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tab said:

Gosh all these northern folk I am a community midwife in bury. Although  we live in Rochdale near Hollingsworth lake. Still waiting for my kids visas to be sorted and I will be back in Australia after leaving 18 years ago. Although  I adore the north of England  my soul yearns for the wide open space of Australia.  Sadly my children find the pace of life  and the terrorism threat and daily reports of local violence scary  so looking to come back to sleepy old perth. 

Odds are the usual suspects will now tell you how violent Perth is.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tab said:

When did you last visit? I'm trying to think if it's changed much in the last 18 years, it's certainly changed a lot in the almost 30 years that I've been here.

3 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Odds are the usual suspects will now tell you how violent Perth is.

If they've been gone 18 years they are going to see massive changes in Perth. It's still "sleepy" compared with Melbourne and Sydney I guess and although people moan about traffic we still have rush hours. Travel outside those times and it's still fine.

Perth City will have changed dramatically. Mostly for the better with Elizabeth Quay adding a bit of a focal point and generating more life.

They relaxed licensing laws a few years back so there are lots more small bars and places to go. Quite a few rooftop bars have opened, always good to be able to be outside with a beer in summer.

Public transport has improved too and the freeways extended a few times.

We still have the same sort of beachy, living the dream, lifestyle we dreampt of though. See too many people who come with the idea of being near the ocean, going to the beach a lot and then don't fo that for some strange reason.

It is doable and when I see posts about same old problems, still have bills to pay, still have to go to work etc. Yes of course, but the fun you can have when not at work is there on the doorstep.

I think people from the North of England, who didn't live near the Coast "get it" more than most.

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:46, Paul1Perth said:

Depends what suburb you're looking at. They seem to be selling pretty fast and holding the price near us. Anywhere near the beach is a good investment.

I think what helps here are very few auctions, apart from the top end of the market, you have a good idea of the price and don't have to waste time.

We have friends who have a home in Fremantle which is worth a lot less than they paid for it at the top of the mining boom and they spent money on reno's too. Fremantle is surely prime suburb these days

On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 07:24, can1983 said:

We have friends who have a home in Fremantle which is worth a lot less than they paid for it at the top of the mining boom and they spent money on reno's too. Fremantle is surely prime suburb these days

Yep. Strange place Fremantle. Some of the small terraced houses there, with no parking, seem to sell for an astronomical price. You could get a decent 4×2 on a big plot for the same price if you moved 5km South. Going North wouldn't do you much good though, you'd be in Cottesloe. Even more expensive than Freo.

Freo is nice and if you live walking distance it's a lively place and has decent beaches close. Not something you'd get in Perth.

Anyone who bought at the height of the mining boom would have seen a drop. Compared to what you would get in Sydney or Melbourne it still looks like a bargain. Main thing is not to buy as an investment but buy somewhere you're going to be happy. 

On 22/08/2018 at 20:30, tab said:

????

I used to work random shifts in Bury at Alpha/Cygnet Mental Health Hospital... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like a free skilled visa assessment you can contact me to look at your options. We also provide all associated costs AND can provide all of the information in relation to the skill assessment processes and registration eligibility.  We structure the fees in stages and so if you don't meet the requirement any stage then you are not paying for fees and services not required. 

Look forward to assisting you.