Lodging PR (457 transition) without help of an agent

Hi

My partner has been sponsored by his employer since May 2015, and they are willing and able to nominate him for PR. I also work for the same employer (not sponsored as I am his defacto) and will end up preparing all documentation an agent requests - this is why I would consider lodging it myself without an agent. 

Has anyone here done this before and can offer some advice about documentation required etc..? Or tell me I'm completely nuts and should not continue without an experts help.

5 hours ago, playitbyear said:

Hi

My partner has been sponsored by his employer since May 2015, and they are willing and able to nominate him for PR. I also work for the same employer (not sponsored as I am his defacto) and will end up preparing all documentation an agent requests - this is why I would consider lodging it myself without an agent. 

Has anyone here done this before and can offer some advice about documentation required etc..? Or tell me I'm completely nuts and should not continue without an experts help.

There is a checklist on the Immi website, I recommend you should go through the list. If you are going to apply as a de facto and you are included in the same application as your partner (not applying separately), I do not think you need to provide anything at all except for Police Check and Health Check.

Unless I read it wrong and you want to apply for a separate application yourself then there will be a huge load of documents you will need to provide / go through and obviously the cost is much higher when you go independent, instead of going with your partner.

My gf joined my 457 visa back then and she did not need to submit anything except primary stuff such as birth certificate, passport, police check, health check, insurance and that is pretty much it.

• Like 1

Depends how competent you are at paperwork and how straightforward your application looks like.

I've done all of my visa's by myself including a defacto and they have all gone smoothly. No requests for further info or anything. 

However my 186 has not been approved yet so I can't really comment 100% just yet ha!

• Like 1

I assume your employer will be using an agent for the nomination. Are they already approved ?

it may also depend how critical your application is. I did two successful applications myself but used an agent for our 187 as we neede to submit before a critical birthday and wouldn’t have another chance to apply after that.

• 4 weeks later...

Been MIA for a few weeks - thank you all for the responses.

I am definitely going to pursue our application without an agent, but am wondering does anyone have knowledge of lodging the Employer Nomination piece? Our Employer uses a really expensive agent and they're happy for me to lodge it myself on her behalf without the agent - but would like to know a bit more about it if possible.

Also with Q.35 of the Form80, have you visited Aus before? I arrived here in 2016 on WHV and have not left (apart from holidays). Do I tick 'yes' and list the previous visa leaving departure date free? I'm sure there's plenty here in the same boat

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2018 at 13:38, playitbyear said:

Been MIA for a few weeks - thank you all for the responses.

I am definitely going to pursue our application without an agent, but am wondering does anyone have knowledge of lodging the Employer Nomination piece? Our Employer uses a really expensive agent and they're happy for me to lodge it myself on her behalf without the agent - but would like to know a bit more about it if possible.

Also with Q.35 of the Form80, have you visited Aus before? I arrived here in 2016 on WHV and have not left (apart from holidays). Do I tick 'yes' and list the previous visa leaving departure date free? I'm sure there's plenty here in the same boat

@playitbyear Hi, just read your post. We are on the same boat (applying for TRT in October this year) and I want to proceed without an agent, so I started my research from now.

Did you find the check list on the IMMI site? Can you please share it, if so?

I tried sending you message, but I am still not allowed to, so I just wrote here instead:)

All the best, looking forward to hearing from you!

On 20/03/2018 at 20:53, Parkesy said:

Depends how competent you are at paperwork and how straightforward your application looks like.

I've done all of my visa's by myself including a defacto and they have all gone smoothly. No requests for further info or anything. 

However my 186 has not been approved yet so I can't really comment 100% just yet ha!

@Parkesy Hi to you as well (I know it seems like I'm stalking people that have actually applied for PR on their own, but that's not the case, really:)))
I am trying to learn as much as possible regarding the TRT process, and I have 5 months to either master or, or find the best agent. 

I'm on the very beginning....our 457 was done by an agent, it's all straight forward and I assume won't be any pain to do it on our own, but I'll assess that later as I'll be learning more...do you have any advice....something....anything to start with? I am new to this forum, so maybe there's a thread with the exact question, and I can not find it?

I also can not find the checklist on the IMMI website regarding 186 TRT....I need both, for the sponsor and us, so I can go through and see if we have the strength of doing it.

Thank you in advance, fingers crossed for your application!

3 hours ago, NinaMKD said:

@playitbyear Hi, just read your post. We are on the same boat (applying for TRT in October this year) and I want to proceed without an agent, so I started my research from now.

Did you find the check list on the IMMI site? Can you please share it, if so?

I tried sending you message, but I am still not allowed to, so I just wrote here instead:)

All the best, looking forward to hearing from you!

@NinaMKD Hi Nina! Not sure why you can't send me a message. Anyway....... We got an agent to help with the Employer Nomination, she requested all docs and I prepared and sent them to her for upload. That was submitted about 2 weeks ago. 

We are continuing with the rest of the application ourselves - as of last night we reached a final draft on the application, and will submit, pay and upload docs this evening. I am hoping once submitted it will be similar to the 457 defacto application, whereby it suggests documents to upload in each category.

We have both completed Form 80's, have all docs relating to partner's skills and work experience (not sure if these are required again, think they are), and have sufficient documents to support 1 year defacto relationship in the form of lease agreements, car ownership, joint bank accounts and holidays.

Here's the link of the checklist for both Employers and Applicants https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/186-#tab-content-1

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

My advice is to use an agent. It is not just you that needs to qualify, but also the position and the sponsor. The department are currently giving a LOT of refusals to 186 and 187 applicants at the moment. 

I read that as well, to be honest, and I genuinely hope that won't be the case with us no matter with or without an agent, as our case is very straight forward, nothing dodgy, hubby works as he should and the company covers their training benchmarks by sending one of the employees to TAFE. However, we still have time, as I said, to go through the whole process and decide on the agent thing...

I somehow want to believe that when things are honest and straight forward - nothing wrong can happen, but maybe I'm just being naive:)

Anyhow, thanks for the advice and info @VERYSTORMY?

16 hours ago, playitbyear said:

@NinaMKD Hi Nina! Not sure why you can't send me a message. Anyway....... We got an agent to help with the Employer Nomination, she requested all docs and I prepared and sent them to her for upload. That was submitted about 2 weeks ago. 

We are continuing with the rest of the application ourselves - as of last night we reached a final draft on the application, and will submit, pay and upload docs this evening. I am hoping once submitted it will be similar to the 457 defacto application, whereby it suggests documents to upload in each category.

We have both completed Form 80's, have all docs relating to partner's skills and work experience (not sure if these are required again, think they are), and have sufficient documents to support 1 year defacto relationship in the form of lease agreements, car ownership, joint bank accounts and holidays.

Here's the link of the checklist for both Employers and Applicants https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/186-#tab-content-1

OK, so I can use the agent for the Nomination part only...hmmm, I'll think about this, thank you for the info provided, and thanks for the link!

Wish you all the best with your application ?