I wasn't advised to chop the plugs off before we shipped - that was back in September with PSS.

On arrival in Melb I went to Bunnings (think B&Q and Homebase on steroids) and bought a load of plugs.  Like suggested above, I did some power boards and some appliances.  I haven't killed myself, burnt the apartment down or been arrested.  If you can hold a screwdriver and can follow instructions you will be fine;)  In fact I think Aus plugs are easier to wire as you trim the cables to all the same length, compared to UK plugs.

Ignore the person talking about warranties, I doubt warranties cover moving halfway around the world anyway!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I wasn't advised to chop the plugs off before we shipped - that was back in September with PSS.

On arrival in Melb I went to Bunnings (think B&Q and Homebase on steroids) and bought a load of plugs.  Like suggested above, I did some power boards and some appliances.  I haven't killed myself, burnt the apartment down or been arrested.  If you can hold a screwdriver and can follow instructions you will be fine;)  In fact I think Aus plugs are easier to wire as you trim the cables to all the same length, compared to UK plugs.

Ignore the person talking about warranties, I doubt warranties cover moving halfway around the world anyway!

I think he was just explaining the reasoning behind the regulations.   I guess there could be insurance issues if you did have a fire...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

I beg to differ in that the warranty issue relates not just to the warranty of the item that you are changing the plug on. It relates to other items that may be damaged by the failure of an unsealed plug. Much more importantly, any faulty home improvement, including self fitted plugs, that causes damage to the home, including total loss by fire, will void your insurance.

If you think it easier/cheaper to change a plug, rather than buy an adapter, which may put you at risk of losing your home, with no chance of replacing said home with insurance payout, then go ahead and do it.

So if we just take over our powerboards and plug them into Australian travel converters, it will be totally safe and fire free, until we can get an electrician to change the plugs? I have never used a converter for anything larger than an iPad lol, so bit worried about using one on something big and powerful such as white goods.

11 hours ago, Newstart said:

So if we just take over our powerboards and plug them into Australian travel converters, it will be totally safe and fire free, until we can get an electrician to change the plugs? I have never used a converter for anything larger than an iPad lol, so bit worried about using one on something big and powerful such as white goods.

It might make you feel better to remember that UK to Australian travel plugs are just letting you change the shape of the prongs (if that's what you call them!), they don't do anything else .  It's not like a transformer that's changing the voltage.   So provided you buy a reputable make rather than a Pound Shop or eBay version, they're pretty safe.  The only thing to watch is not to plug more than one high-powered device into the same powerboard. 

• Thanks 1

I'd like to provide assurance that you can perfectly well rewire your plugs yourself.  As I said earlier, if you are competent with a screwdriver (know which end to hold it), just get on with it.  All the plugs from Bunnings come with instructions, complete with colour and a 1:1 scale template  ;)

iJPlH54h.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
18 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I'd like to provide assurance that you can perfectly well rewire your plugs yourself.  As I said earlier, if you are competent with a screwdriver (know which end to hold it), just get on with it.  All the plugs from Bunnings come with instructions, complete with colour and a 1:1 scale template  ;)

iJPlH54h.jpg

@unzippy yes anyone can physically change one BUT it is illegal in most states to do this and IF you had a house fire and it was one of those electrical appliances your insurance would NOT pay out. As I’ve seen a high number of fires in the media recently which have been caused by faulty electrical appliances I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

Not legal in all states though as mentioned. Here in SA you can in QLD you CANNOT. 

In the UK I changed light switches and fitted pendant lamps. Not rocket science. But here in SA I can’t do that legally as it involves altering mains wiring. They have tightened up in UK to now. 

Edited by rammygirl

Guest The Pom Queen
4 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I guess it all depends where the OP is moving to.

Just because you move to Aus doesn't mean you have to abide by all the laws of the Nanny State;)

No you don’t but I also wouldn’t like to lose my house to a fire and not be insured, I’ve seen the devastation caused when Yasi came through and a number of people weren’t insured.

When we arrived I got plugs from Bunnings and got swapping over, though we have also been transitioning where possible.  Also this has only been on smaller items and no white goods (well one small telly).

Guess I might accelerate this change now I've read this.

BUT if it's illegal to change a plug in QLD why do Bunnings sell them with instructions on how to change and no warning?

15 hours ago, Ferrets said:

When we arrived I got plugs from Bunnings and got swapping over, though we have also been transitioning where possible.  Also this has only been on smaller items and no white goods (well one small telly).

Guess I might accelerate this change now I've read this.

BUT if it's illegal to change a plug in QLD why do Bunnings sell them with instructions on how to change and no warning?

Because they sell them for tradies and it isn't their obligation to warn anyone of state laws

Edited by Johndoe

15 hours ago, unzippy said:

The real question is why can't the Australian government present a coherent front.

Are Queenslanders really that stupid that they can't be trusted to wire a plug?

No, the Qld Gov't is just more clued up about the dangers of unsealed plugs, but yes also because there is a risk that some people just are stupid enough to get it wrong, whether in Qld, NSW or any state/country and they do get it wrong. Many domestic fires are reputedly caused by wires inside plugs "working loose" and these are the common causes (familiarity can, and does breed contempt)

• The sheath stripped too far back and single insulated conductors exposed out of the plug. Seen it many times
  • Not enough sheath insulation removed so that the wires cannot be properly secured and the tension is taken up by the termination. Ditto
  • Wiring Strands not properly twisted and terminated
  • Incorrect tools used, causing damage to the terminations or damaging wiring strands.
  • Wires connected to the wrong terminals Yup! It does happen even with instructions on the plug.........a moments distraction by someone talking to you whilst fitting the plug
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

• The sheath stripped too far back and single insulated conductors exposed out of the plug. Seen it many times
  • Not enough sheath insulation removed so that the wires cannot be properly secured and the tension is taken up by the termination. Ditto
  • Wiring Strands not properly twisted and terminated
  • Incorrect tools used, causing damage to the terminations or damaging wiring strands.
  • Wires connected to the wrong terminals Yup! It does happen even with instructions on the plug.........a moments distraction by someone talking to you whilst fitting the plug

Agreed, don't do it like the above.  So long as you follow the instructions and are sensible - like everything in life, you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2018 at 14:54, The Pom Queen said:

Interesting links the madness of it is that when we built a house in WA in the early 2000's we had cause to invite several electricians at various times to work on the power board installing a Spa wiring in a shed installing lighting in the shed etc etc.

On every occasion the very first thing they do is pour scorn on the work the previous electrician has done we had one guy spend several hours (not charged) rewiring the main board to his satisfaction  only to have the next electrician change parts of it once again.

We always had a chuckle as it kept happening and when we pointed it out to the sparkie he would invariably agree but carry on.

The point is there appears to be not one firm standard so how they can say DIY installing a plug is dangerous escapes me really but thats Australia for you and I love it....

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of off topic a little but didn't think it required a new thread....

Been ask by some of the removal companies who we are getting quotes off if we are sure our T.V.s will work in Australia.

Has anyone herd of UK TVs not working over in Australia?  

3 minutes ago, J-J said:

Kind of off topic a little but didn't think it required a new thread....

Been ask by some of the removal companies who we are getting quotes off if we are sure our T.V.s will work in Australia.

Has anyone herd of UK TVs not working over in Australia?  

Some do and some don;t from reading posts here over the years. If its a decent tv you could bring it and if you cant get it working by changing region settings you could use it as a gaming tv.

Cal x

Just now, calNgary said:

Some do and some don;t from reading posts here over the years. If its a decent tv you could bring it and if you cant get it working by changing region settings you could use it as a gaming tv.

Cal x

We are planning on getting Fox tel when we are there i'm guessing this would remove the problem altogether? 

Mine doesn't work the way it used toxD

It's a LG UH668V

Some of the smart TV bits no longer work as it now realises it's not in the UK any more, in fact only YouTube works.  I imagine I can work around it with a VPN if I could be arsed

It's a little annoying but it's manageable with a chrome cast or Apple TV.

The normal TV bits are fine, picks up stations via a normal antenna. However Aussie TV is pretty dire, food network seems to be the least offensive so far:D

• Like 1